Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #31
BlackLS

Defensive driver course to be able to go from Ls to Ps. Let kids see for themselves what going 20kmh over the limit can affect how much grip you have.

Even in primary school we went to a dedicated bike road course with traffic lights, lanes, stop signs, give way etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #32
gozza

i had 84 civic for my first car . 4cyl....i did stupid things in it...you learn from them...but it could reach speeds well above 130 in 4th gear with no prob..

metal no thicker than custard skin...
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #33
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 6 cyl. XE Falcon as a first car. I have a loan car for a few days which is a mid 80's Corona. The XE drove better, feels more safe/secure, yet is older than the Corona. I've currently got an EL and can't wait to get it back from the mechanic in a day or 2 now I'm driving this POS Corona.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #34
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
bit off topic, but dont you think that no booze in your system while on your p-plates, is just pretty much saying if your going to drink- get wasted???
i kind of wondered about their logic on this matter, i would like to know the realistic detrimental effects 2 standard drinks has on an average persons ability to drive.
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #35
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
I look at the parents, the government does not control everything 100% black and white, and if you can't make your kid buy a lesser vehicle and stay alive on the roads (according to those parents), how can you just blame the government. Far to many people want to cop out of responsability. Parents of those kids take a long hard look at yourselves not the government.

EDIT: 2L Sigma or 6cyl commodore, 100k's an hour and a tree dont mix, plain and simple facts.

rant over.
Do you have Kids?
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #36
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

This arguement has come up time and time again, and will keep on doing so as long as kids keep having accidents (i.e. forever)

The solution IMHO is better driver training. Say they limit the number of passengers. Fine. Kid still doesnt learn how to drive properly, and will still end up crashing when it could have been avoided. Only difference is, he only kills himself. But is that good enough? Why should anybody die in an accident at all? Driver training is a far better solution than just putting more restrictions on P platers.

I did a driver training course, and in less than an hour had halved my braking distance and seriously changed my attitude towards driving. This was when I had just gotten my P2 licence. How this is not taught or tested by the RTA is disgusting. Seriously, if the government was to subsidise these driver training courses like what has happened overseas, the trainers would charge less due to the increased number of clients. And kids dont even need all day. If the government was to supply 1-3 hours of driver training per student in year 12 say, teaching the basics of braking in the dry, wet and some basic skid control, I beleive the p-plate road toll would fall drastically. Some theory could be taught in classrooms.
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 04:10 AM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
I look at the parents, the government does not control everything 100% black and white, and if you can't make your kid buy a lesser vehicle and stay alive on the roads (according to those parents), how can you just blame the government. Far to many people want to cop out of responsability. Parents of those kids take a long hard look at yourselves not the government.

EDIT: 2L Sigma or 6cyl commodore, 100k's an hour and a tree dont mix, plain and simple facts.

rant over.
Bingo,
you wanna make parents wake up and take responsibility.
Let em know that when the coppers arrive on the door early one Sunday morning with bad news, they will take a broom and shovel and ask if they are ready to help clean up THEIR mess.
Shocking, ..maybe, necessary, ..definately.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #38
aufairy
Starter Motor

this subject has always been flogged to death as long as there is cars there will be fatalities better driver training yeah sure. but its still going to happen what about suicide rates they are double the road toll but we cant make money out of that and dont want everyone to know how bad the situation is
aufairy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #39
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can talk all you like about restrictions but if you don't enforce, what's the point? Training & education is the answer, its not a right to drive its a privilege.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #40
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is everyone talking about power restrictions? (which I think people are blindly dismissing anyway but thats another matter.) The Minister et al. in NSW are currently talking about passenger restrictions and pro driver training.

I think it is a step in the right direction (better than inaction anyway), but honeslty young men are always going to be young men - immature, massive ego's, testosterone (thats all just a fact of nature). Statistically males between the age of 18-25 are highly likley to die, and I'm not talking in cars, I mean by any means (work, drunken accident, cars, fights, suicide ect.).

Anyway what did TT and ACA discuss I was too busy watching some sort of manly show on another channel.

It may or may not have been Neighbours.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #41
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
A lot of kids are easily manipulated, "monkey see monkey do" people say. Have any one of you seen how they drive home after watching drag racing at WSID? or after watching any of The Fast and The Furious movies?
Better close down all drag strips then because one idiot manipulates this on the road. Come to think of it, we should remove all activities when undertaken in a diffrent environment have the potential to cause death.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #42
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Mutley no I don't I have kids, and when I do they will know the value of life and driving a car, I do not expect nor demand a government to make kids safe/safer on the road, I expect it to be mine and my wifes resposibility. My dad used to make sure both my brother and I knew:

"You are driving a 1 tonne weapon, you hit some one they will be dead... thats right its not a car but a weapon and it can kill" the other one "Driving a car is a privilidge not a right"... no different to a gun in the wrong hands.

So I thank my parents (namely my Dad) for giving me some common sense to be here today, so I still say the Parents should be responsible.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #43
snortycorty

Quote:
I think it has been discussed before that one of the major causes is the driver's immaturity. A lot of kids are easily manipulated, "monkey see monkey do" people say. Have any one of you seen how they drive home after watching drag racing at WSID? or after watching any of The Fast and The Furious movies?

Driving home from the drags one night some stupid idiot was overtaking everyone on a gravel road. He was being a complete d*******. After we got back onto the bitumen we come round a corner only to see the hoon off in the scrub and what looked to be in a tree. The guys in the car were standing there scratchin their heads, and not one single person stopped to help them, most yelled out a few umm choice words which were well deserved. So i can agree that it does happen, its just too bad that its people like this that give the rest of us a bad stereotype.

DRU842 - You can talk all you like about restrictions but if you don't enforce, what's the point? Training & education is the answer, its not a right to drive its a privilege.

My views EXACTLY. On many occassions I've been egged on to to some stupid things, and my reply is sorry i like having my licence too much to stuff it up. They give you a bit of a ribbing for being a 'pansy' but they get over it pretty quickly and go try it on someone else
snortycorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #44
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Another thougth just came to mind, they are saying that P-Plate accidents are on the rise and higher then last year, but wouldnt the extended years of being on your P's now be having an effect to those numbers, so in effect it is P-Platers but which 1st year or 2,3,4 year P-Platers. I think just another example of the governtment manipulating the system to give them more power to do something for the sake of it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #45
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
No......, but you can still die at 60kph?
Sure can ... just like the P-plater showing off to mates in Glendenning, NSW the other day.

speed wasn't the factor and neither was fatigue ... it was put down to driver in-experience.

Trying to duck across an intersection against a Give Way sign and getting collected by a truck. The poor truck driver that was involved.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #46
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I concure Nobbystang and others.

Government can however give us additional tools that might be of use in our road going careers; triangle, vest, by adopting these 'standard measures' used OS in Europe and expected by all drivers in that market. The ACA program had one family I know who would have benefitted.

I will be discussing NSW P2 to full license, (DQT) test 'management' and 'program'. I am not satisfied with some of this content, indeed one question demands you give an incorrect answer to pass.

I'd suggest 'full' passenger restriction will not be the go, BUT we could restrict the P plater to two passengers only, typically preventing an additional two passenger deaths in a five seater, a 'balanced' approach to this.

I do suggest that rather than relying soley on INTERNET Pdf access to the NSW Road Users Handbook, NSW's key driver manual, that parents actually fork out the $10 cost and buy it. Much of what is inside in content, aside from highlighting legal requirement, is in fact practical on-road advice and offers much 'defensive driving' tutorial. RTA have sized this so it'll fit into the glove compartment.
I still can't believe the RTA charge for the Road Users Handbook. I would routinely go into the RTA every two or three years and pick up a book and read through it to refresh myself and see what had changed. I refuse on principal to pay $10 on top of my rego etc for something that should be made free as a safety issue to any registered or learner driver who requests one.
Not when they are raking in enough cash from one speed camera in my region of New England to have a hand book mailed to every driver and learner in the region, much less those of us who bothered to walk into an RTA office to collect one.

With all the "speed kills" and supposed concern about road safety from the RTA it just reeks of hypocrisy.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #47
LTDHO
The one and only

Same old BS that these two pathetic shows have to put on every 6 months.

No one takes the deaths of young drivers seriously and it is only considered after the event.

Simply the vehicles are driven poorly by everyone and the general standard across the board is very low. However, young drivers learn bad habits to quick and crash due to it.

They can come up with BS power restrictions or passenger restrictions or speed restrictions but none of these will do anything.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #48
Wally
XP Coupe

Everyones looking for a magic bullet to solve the poor attitude of today's impetutous invulnerable youth. Sixty years ago the problem didn't exist.... did it?

"Dream as if you’ll live forever…live as if you’ll die today”

~James Dean~
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #49
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know that we should drive with our hands at 9:15 or 10:10 position on the steering wheel.... one thing i notice about "young" drivers is they're trying to look hard by driving with only one hand on the steering wheel positioned north.

I think that can contribute to their cars losing control.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #50
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

hee hee ... what's the saying???
"2 hands for beginners"
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #51
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
hee hee ... what's the saying???
"2 hands for beginners"
Yeah but real drivers drive with 2 hands... :eclipsee_ ......seee
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #52
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
You know that we should drive with our hands at 9:15 or 10:10 position on the steering wheel.... one thing i notice about "young" drivers is they're trying to look hard by driving with only one hand on the steering wheel positioned north.

I think that can contribute to their cars losing control.
And having the seat reclined so far (to look "cool", no doubt) that in the event of an incident, they cant actually get a decent grip of the wheel.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #53
67RCE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
And having the seat reclined so far (to look "cool", no doubt) that in the event of an incident, they cant actually get a decent grip of the wheel.
The reclined seat position is for Commo drivers and ricers in Brisbane, i have never come across anyone driving a Falcon, Magna, Camry etc with the seat so far back they use the rear windows in drive throughs
67RCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post