Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #31
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
...there would always be people going faster and in victoria, the leeway will still be insufficient...
It should be these people who are targeted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
...anyways you were speeding so i have every right and youd lose in court...
I fear you would be embarrased in court, if your superiors allowed you to proceed with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
...Speed limit freaks tend to upset the natural rythm that many roads have and I think that those people seem to easily fall into a complacent disposition as they believe that so long as they travel 10k's below, they can do no wrong and will get home safe...
Yep, don't use blinkers, talk on mobile phone etc - but as long as they are not speeding they are driving safely.

I think it is inevitable that many people focus on speed instead of other safe driving practices, we are taught that it is the cause of accidents so that the government can justify more cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSIX-T
...I have seen the stats and the idea's which would halve our road accidents over night. Sadly you will never see them, at least not while the Government is structured the way it is...
Speed cameras mean more to the government than mere safety devices

Panda
Old 28-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #32
XRSIX-T
Thorne

I agree Panda, speed cameras catch approx 90% of people who are only just over the limit. These are just every day safe divers just trying to get to where they need to go. If the government spent the same amount of money on our roads that they spent on the development, implementation and running of speed cameras, our roads would be much safer. I would rather see a cop in his car driving around than a stationary vehicle taking happy snaps. Well maybe not our freind Mr FALCONSR.
XRSIX-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #33
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The easiest thing would be to give cameras a reasonable limit. It is a form of discretion, rather than the BS the Vic government uses.
Every day when I drive I watch brilliant displays of incompetence, and yet some think they should be able to go faster... that's what scares me.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #34
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
... I generally find that I drive at a speed which feels natural for the conditions. Most of the time (in town) that speed is around the speed limit - maybe a little under or sometimes a little over. Speed limit freaks tend to upset the natural rythm that many roads have and I think that those people seem to easily fall into a complacent disposition as they believe that so long as they travel 10k's below, they can do no wrong and will get home safe.

Your comment is a great summary of what the report found. Whether they increased or decreased the speed limit, the average speed in that area stayed around the same because people tend to drive at the speed they find appropriate once they evaluate the surroundings.

I think 85th percentile speed limits are a logical and enforceable measure. But in school zones and suburban areas the limits currently in place should stay the same.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #35
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too much good sense being talked on this thread. Governments wouldn't stomach the revenue loss. Forget it.

Revenue first, road safety second.
Old 29-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #36
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I just love the assumption that EVERY study of ANYTHING that comes out of the USA is applicable to OZ. It's hilarious..
Old 29-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #37
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
I just love the assumption that EVERY study of ANYTHING that comes out of the USA is applicable to OZ. It's hilarious..
Then do explain why this report should not be talked about in reference to general ideas for better regulation of our roads.

When reading it I did wonder whether there is anything they are talking about that would not apply here, but in all reality, I would assume that the results would be similar in Australia.

We are not the 51st state of America, but that doesn't mean everything is so different here that nothing is applicable.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #38
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
Then do explain why this report should not be talked about in reference to general ideas for better regulation of our roads.

When reading it I did wonder whether there is anything they are talking about that would not apply here, but in all reality, I would assume that the results would be similar in Australia.

We are not the 51st state of America, but that doesn't mean everything is so different here that nothing is applicable.
Where did I say it should'nt be talked about?.All I mean is it has been proven, time and time again, that everything ever reported/studied out of the USA does not necesarily relate to the rest of the world.. EG they have differential roads ,speed limits,driver mentality, cars, climate,etc,etc.. I meant no offence here, just my view on it..