Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Default el xr6 V el xr8?

: How are you all. i'm new to this forum and am looking at buying either an EL xr6 5 cogger or an EL xr8 5 cogger as a second car. i want to know which of the two in standard guise is the fastest? i've been told that the xr6 is slightly quicker. i want the faster of the two so i won't be let down after i drive my other car, a worked n12 et turbo pulsar! it has no problems with taking down the gen 3 commowhores, i havent come across the new 6 litre to have a go at yet but can't wait! whichever of the two i buy it will geta set of extractors, probably 3" exhuast and chip and thats about it. i only want an el model xr. thanks for any help and advice you guy's can give me. :

Old 15-10-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

did you recently post on ls1.com.au displaying that engine making a few sponsers eat humble pie?
IF not my mistake. I think the xr6 is quicker yes, but with my knowledge on the older model fords, best get a 2nd opinion
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
did you recently post on ls1.com.au displaying that engine making a few sponsers eat humble pie?
IF not my mistake. I think the xr6 is quicker yes, but with my knowledge on the older model fords, best get a 2nd opinion
not me mate! never even been to ls1.com. unless someone is taking pics of my engine and bullshitting people? like i wrote, i've also heard the el xr6 was a slight faster but i'll see what you guy's can tell me.
Old 15-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

The EL1 XR8 is 170kw, EL1 XR6 is 165kw. The EL2 update XR8 (~1998) got a new manifold etc and makes 185kw. I think you'll find if you can grab yourself an EL2 XR8 you'll be having more fun! Not sure how the XR6 & EL2 XR8 go head to head but i believe the EL2 XR8 is in the high 7's for 0-100.

Either car will be quick, but with the XR8 you'll have that delightful exhaust note. Trust me, i've got a giant headache from taking the EB up to Ballarat and back today! :\

Also there should be a few nice modded versions around if you look hard enough. An EL2 XR8 with extractors, intake work, heads, tune etc would eat a lot of other cars for breakfast. Especially with the T5. Good luck.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

^^^^^^thanks for that mate! yeah, the exhuast note might sway the decision a bit! a mate of mine has a 96 el manual xr6, it goes pretty good for a 6 but doesn't sound so tuff! :evilsasmo
Old 15-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by et.turbo.dude
^^^^^^thanks for that mate! yeah, the exhuast note might sway the decision a bit! a mate of mine has a 96 el manual xr6, it goes pretty good for a 6 but doesn't sound so tuff! :evilsasmo
yes indeed. the only issue you'll find is there are far more auto's than 5 speed's in those cars you're after. However keep your eyes peeled on these forums, and on carsales and other sites, and you'd be surprised what you can find. Economy can vary. My EB which is worked, relatively fresh rebuild is currently returning around 14.3 litres per 100km. My EL which is a stock 302, gives me 15.4litres per 100km! Go figure.. But i'm guessing fuel economy isn't a great concern for you anyway :P
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:41 AM   #7
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Smile

not really interested in economy to much no. my current car is only 1.5 turbo, worked though. but still only uses sweet F_ck all juice. so i have an economy car if i need it. it's a win win, i can beat a lot of 8's in a straight line and use a sh_tload less fuel :sm_headba only problem is it's a lot less reliable! so thats why i want either an xr6 or 8! i know they are reliable and i love the shape! :
Old 15-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #8
lowriding
interloper

EL xr6 vs EL xr8 ? Nothing in it , and at this age who knows most would have ~150 000 kms so it would be even less clear . I wouldnt even have to think twice over which of these to buy , the XR8 wins hands down ,the windsor in these sounds the biz ,easily modded if thats your go.Really the old slugger in the EL 6 is nothing special at all.All comes down to your budget as the 8 will be a few thousand dearer last time i looked...
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The combination of a shorter diff and lighter weight gave the EL XR6 the edge in a straight line over the XR8. But I'd say the XR8 would have it for lunch on rolling acceleration as it was ahead on torque and likely to have a better spread of it too. The "EL2" XR8 got the edge back with the 185kw motor. You'd have to say the V8 is the goods if you want to give it a few tweaks - breathing especially.

I like/bought the XR6, but I wasn't after a V8 for a daily driver in the first place and have never owned a V8.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #10
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

i'm guessing with a set of extractors, straight through 3 inch exhuast, cold air induction kit and a chip, the xr8 would respond a lot better than the xr6 with the same mods? i'm also guessing Ford did the usual and restricted the xr8 a fair bit with the exhuast and induction setup?
Old 15-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

well if the XR6 is only a tad quicker who cares? If you want the 8 get the 8. Once u work them the 8 is gonna be faster. Guys take XR8`s over XR6 Turbos just because its a V8 i would. V8`s r best
Old 15-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
well if the XR6 is only a tad quicker who cares? If you want the 8 get the 8. Once u work them the 8 is gonna be faster. Guys take XR8`s over XR6 Turbos just because its a V8 i would. V8`s r best
yeah fair enough mate. i would class the Bugatti Veyron Quad turbo 7ltr W16 as the best.
Old 15-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

XR8.. 5.0L make a real nice sound and you already have your quick car.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
red_hotxr6
Banned

Even if the xr6 is quicker, i would take the 8 as you can do more to it and in the end will be quicker than the 6.Just depends if you are going to do any thing with the car after you get it.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #15
rodent5l
EL XR8 (185kw)

I have an El2 XR8 and would strongly recomend it over the 6. There is nothing quite like the sound of a V8.

Over the last 4 years it has averaged 13.7 L/100km on standard unleaded

The only problem I am aware of with them is that the original front suspension bushes were a problem. I had to replace mine at about 120,000k.
rodent5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

the 5l windsors are pretty bulletproof. the 4l sixes had headgsket issues, although by this stage in there life they should be fixed unless you come accross a fairly low km example. anything under 150000 i would make sure the head gasket has been done although my previous car (ef xr6 wagon) lasted until 230000 before having to do it. sold it at 293 so the sixes last long enough too.

i'd get the 8 as you can't beat that sound.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #17
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Thumbs up

^^ thanks for those last 2 reply's! very helpfull and informative. Well it looks like i'll be trying to track down a series 2 EL xr8 and if not, a series 1 xr8! will definitely have to be manual though! thanks everyone for your input. i appreciate it a lot. :eclipsee_

Last edited by et.turbo.dude; 15-10-2006 at 09:41 PM.
et.turbo.dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

G'day mate, I've got a series II and while it is definetaly alot better than the series 1, the difference between it and the six really is marginal.
Anything from a bad start to a dodgy gear change is going to have you in a spot where you aint gonna come back.
Both cars with the mods you mentioned will be roughly the same, I chose the XR8 because I wanted the XR8, the XR6 is the cheaper option (rego, insurance, fuel) but it doesnt sound like that is to much of an issue for you.
I say go for the 8 and dont even entertain a thought of getting an auto, manual is the only way to go!
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #19
xr6 ausome
Low au

Dude I also had an Et worked hard its on n12.com or some **** I love em use **** all juice and were quick.

On your Ford get the one that does it for u as your gonna drive it much the same IMO anyway.
Old 16-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #20
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 ausome
Dude I also had an Et worked hard its on n12.com or some **** I love em use **** all juice and were quick.

On your Ford get the one that does it for u as your gonna drive it much the same IMO anyway.
what's your name mate? i will try to find your old et. :eclipsee_
Old 16-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #21
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

xr6 ausome

i just checked it out, looks nice. clean body nice rims. what made you move on? you might want to clear some messages in your PM box, i tried sending you a message but couldn't send coz it's full. :
Old 16-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #22
xr6 ausome
Low au

I got your pm thanks mate.
Old 16-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the series II xr8 and could not fault it. We got 500km per tank (12l/100km), it ran 14.9 sec over the 400m bog standard, and I sold it with 230,000km on the clock with never a problem. When I was at the drags there were a few EL xr6s and all of them were running mid 15s. Go the v8. Towing, sound, reliability, hot-up potential, performance, all go in favour of the xr8.
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #24
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I think the el2 was the first xr8 that was faster than the equivelent xr6.
But as everyone has said just get what suits you best.
Old 16-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #25
bennoxr8
Starter Motor

Dude, go the XR8. I'm thinking of selling my EF XR8 if you're interested... <150,000km, 5 spd manual, extractors, just serviced and tuned, dyno'd at 142RWKW. It's a hoot to drive.
bennoxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #26
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by et.turbo.dude
yeah fair enough mate. i would class the Bugatti Veyron Quad turbo 7ltr W16 as the best.
you know how i ment it ********
Old 17-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #27
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
you know how i ment it ********
yeah i know mate, just stuffin around with you hehe. why else would they only use v8's in top fuel dragsters! give it time though, the new school turbo crowd are catching up. :
Old 17-10-2006, 02:39 AM   #28
et.turbo.dude
i actually love Nissan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennoxr8
Dude, go the XR8. I'm thinking of selling my EF XR8 if you're interested... <150,000km, 5 spd manual, extractors, just serviced and tuned, dyno'd at 142RWKW. It's a hoot to drive.
thanks anyway mate, but i'm really after an el xr! hopefully a series 2 xr8. good luck with selling it though! :
Old 18-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #29
xr8ted

Go the EL2 XR8 for sure, it came with the better intake manifold.

The sound that the old windors have is music to my ears. I had an EF XR8 with full exhaust, ss inductions intake, bmc filter, GMS 75mm MAF and under drives and it was great fun. Ended up doing 0-100 in 6.8 and the 1/4 in 14.8....

My mate had an EL XR6 with bolt ons and mine was noticably quicker...

Go the 8!