Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
matt_03
Starter Motor

Default Recommended Oil for LS Focus

I've just hit 5,000km's in my LS Focus and am going to change the oil & oil filter. What is the recommended oil by Ford / best oil to put in? I've been advised by my mates to use Castrol Synthetic / Magnatec?

matt_03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it would be better if you took your car to a Ford Dearlership because they check everything on your car. But if you want to do it yourself entirely up to you, I use Castrol Edge Sport on my LR Focus.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

The first service is only due at 15000km (after the initial free 'Peace of Mind' Service).
The owners manual specifies the correct oil to use (sorry, don't know what it is off the top of my head).
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Ford will only recommend a grade of oil, not a brand of oil.

There are a number of other threads about this my my advice always remains the same. Mobil 1, Mobil 1, Mobil1.

A full synthetic will always be better. If you care about your car you'll pay the extra. It is cheap protection in the long run
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Ford will only recommend a grade of oil, not a brand of oil.

There are a number of other threads about this my my advice always remains the same. Mobil 1, Mobil 1, Mobil1.

A full synthetic will always be better. If you care about your car you'll pay the extra. It is cheap protection in the long run
Correct - I should have said grade of oil, not 'the correct oil to use.'
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
Conquest_Tsi

Default OIl

You'd be crazy to stick to the 15k servicing for your oil.

I would be changing the oil and/or filter every 5k at most. Then your normal ford servicing on top of it.

And like the guys said, use good quality syn.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
zetecboy

I asked my Ford service department what they used and it was different to what the book states. From memory the book says 30-5W but Sinclairs @ Penrith use 30-10W. I had a castrol sticker on the car with the next oil change due so I asked if they used the Castrol Edge Sport oil - no. They use the Caltex Havoline. They said that it is up to each of the dealerships as to what they use and who they have agreements with. All in all it doesn't help you.
zetecboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use 5W-30 but after 90,000 I think its a bit too thin for my engine so I'm going to start to use 10W-40 bit thicker but still fully synthetic

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I also recommend changing your gearbox oil (manual) to synthetic
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Just remember that if you use an oil outside specs and the ***** hits the fan you could kiss your warranty goodby. I have delt with a few warranty companys and if its not down to the T then bad luck.
And that goes for the letters associated with the oil spec to(API).
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post