Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default Sharks in SouthWest WA

As some know, in the South West of WA there's been a number more shark sightings than usual, as well as attacks.

Obviously something is probably out of the norm, or after the first two attacks people have been looking for them a lot more and thus are finding them.

This is my rant.
Today, in the local Busselton paper, it has been announced that the shark that has been in the last two weeks has been ordered killed.
I couldn't believe it when I read it!

This shark has simply been doing its thing in the ocean, its home. It hasn't got a clue that there's people nearby, nor do sharks consider humans as their food. Its mainly been around the Meelup Bay, Eagle bay and Bunker Bay area... and there's a seal colony around the corner from Bunker Bay...

There doesn't even seem to be much research happening into why the sharks seem to be coming closer. I certainly haven't seen much.

I go swimming and kayaking a lot, and I've never seen a shark nor am I concerned. Getting paranoid about them doesn't make sense. We humans don't belong in the ocean, which is the shark's home so we shouldn't expect there to be no risk!
Sharks have been around before, I remember the Rangers asking us to get out of the water a few times because of a shark sighting from a boat or whatnot. Usually we didn't and no one's been hurt. Sharks don't usually come to the shallow waters people swim in. Divers and surfers are most at risk in the deeper water.

I just can't believe that they would call for the shark to be killed, just because it's been an inconvenience for a couple of weeks. It's not fair! It's cruel! If it were a person we would not even consider such action.

How about kangaroos? They're very inconvenient and dangerous at night on our roads. Should we kill them as well?

I thought humans were past making such decisions, I would expect to hear this 100 years ago, but not in 2013!

This is no less horrible as 9/11 IMO. It just makes me so angry.

What does anyone else think?

OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post