Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rant: Brisbane Airport link is an engineering marvel, but …

I have given up using it already, and the toll free period has not yet expired. The reason is simple. Sooner or later, I am going to get a speeding ticket.

For those who have not had the pleasure, let me describe a trip from Kedron to Bowen Hills. As one enters the tunnel, the road descends. There are plenty of visual speed clues. So far, no problems.

Now, Airport Link has Gympie Road, joining up with Stafford Road, and then the airport. This means drivers entering from Gympie Road must do at least one right hand lane change is required to exit at Campbell Street. At least two right hand lane changes to proceed to the CLEM tunnel. And, four right hand lane changes to exit via Bowen Bridge Road.

So, as I enter via Gympie Road, one of the first things on my mind is quickly get across one lane to the right. At the Stafford Rd merge, the tunnel has levelled out and is starting to rise. In the times I have used the tunnel, my speed has drifted down into the low 50’s kph by this stage (along with everyone else). I give the throttle a nudge to push the speed back up to 60. There is a lot of traffic entering via Stafford, so often it is not immediately possible to move across. The road then starts to descend and there are few clues that one is descending. In between watching the traffic ahead, watching the traffic in the lane to the right (waiting for an opportunity to move across), I have found myself doing high 60’s kph. Crap. Slow down.

Once the 80 kph zone is reached, things settle down. However, there is traffic from the airport next appear as two new lanes on the right. Shortly, the left lane (which was the far right on Gympie Road, finishes. There is little warning. A few times already, I have seen drivers cutting off other drivers.

By this stage, traffic trying to exit onto Bowen Bridge Rd is banking back into the tunnel. Nearly every day, the tunnel operators are dropping the variable speed limit from 80 to 60 and then to 40 kph. The traffic speed is all over the place. So, no point even thinking about using the cruise control.

Yes, my eyes are not as good as there once were. I only recently visited the optometrist for an routine eye check and I don’t need glasses. Yet, I have difficulty making out the next variable speed sign (particularly if it could be a 60 or an 80) when passing under the previous sign. (The signs are 120 metres apart, apparently). I don’t know how those with below average sight cope.

Between watching the traffic, watching other drivers, watching my own speed, judging the speed of the traffic ahead, and trying to see the variable speed signs; well the cognitive workload is too much for me. With 26 speed cameras in the tunnel, it is only a matter of time until I get a fine.

So, today, I took the surface roads. Wow, hasn’t the tunnel moved a lot of traffic off these roads and side roads. The trip was a lot less stressful.

whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post