Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
MrFocus
Starter Motor

Default Excessive engine noise past 2k rev.

I've had a fair share of issues with my Focus. One of the main concerns I have is the engine noise. I took delivery of the car at 51,000km and since it has grown and settled to what I consider excessive engine noise.

It has been looked at for other issues by 3 dealers and whilst brining it in for those problems I have mentioned excessive engine noise, the mechanics take it out and brush it off as normal. Yesterday I decided to call up a seller in car sales and test his Focus (similar mileage, same car and year) with 40,000km and it's noticeably quieter accelerating up the hills. I took mine on shortly after being in the car with him and there is a noticeable difference. I consider his car to be "normal" noise for a Focus.

I've come to the conclusion I have an exhaust leak somewhere, but I cannot find anything underneath, it looks sound. I noticed a deep droning type of noise when I increase the revs just slightly over 1000 however it disappears below 1000 and above 1100. I did this test on the other Focus and it did not make this noise. His exhaust tip is surprisingly clean, mine is black. We both have stock parts on the car, all is stock and unmodified. His engine does not make excessive noise even up to 3500 revs going up a hill, mine sounds like a beastly engine doing the same thing. Exhaust shielding is not making any contact with exhaust parts under the car so I've ruled that out.

Should I have it inspected at a reputable mechanic and take those finding back to the dealer for them to address it? They don't even want to admit there is a problem.

MrFocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post