Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
turquoise

Default Reducing cabin noise

Hi Guys,

My ute is noisy inside the cab.

I went away on holiday for a couple of weeks and wasn't in/near a car at all. Got in my ute and headed up the highway and was struck by the amount of road/wind noise inside the cabin. After not going for a cruise for only 2 weeks I had to ask myself if the ute was always this noisy. Guess it was and I'd just gotten used to it.

As this drive makes up 90% of my driving (I do it twice a week, 2hrs in total each way; 1hr on 110km freeway and 1hr on 100km country 'b' roads). I naturally want it to be pretty comfortable.

I know that short of changing tyres I won't reduce noise from them (and being a tonner the susp. will be a bit harsh and not help the noise situation) but has anyone had a go at reducing cabin noise in general? Any pointers to reducing noise from the sills (the rubbers are in good condition, pretty fresh), etc?

I'm thinking of getting a heap of dynamat and installing it behind the door skins, under the carpet, headlining, rear cabin lining, anywhere else i can squeeze some. But it's not that cheap and i've never had any experience with it. Anyone used it? Does it work? Easy to install/work with? Should I spend up, go nuts with it and jam it into every crevice and behind every surface i can find? Any alternative products that people have had success with?

Answers to any and all questions are much appreciated and will be rewarded with beer*

*That's clearly a promise I can't keep but you do have my eternal gratitude!