Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
blk6t

Default My story for others to learn from...

Hi all,

I wanted to write this story up so that hopefully it will deter others from driving dangerously or ever thinking about driving dangerously in the future. It is VERY easy to drive in a dangerous manner in our high HP vehicles without even being aware of it. I write this story knowing that I will be criticized etc...but if it slows down or changes the driving habits of at least one member I will be happy.

I recently was driving my car and decided to overtake a slower vehicle, this was in a 80km/h area along a road that I am very familiar, a country road. I had a blood rush to the head and held into the acceleration a little longer than what I knew, before I knew it a copper came running out behind the bush and angrily flagged me in. I didn't know what to think or what was going to happen.

I got out and was approached, he showed me the radar and it was flashing a very staggering speed of 155km/h, the copper indicated that I was going faster and was slowing down when I was on radar. I still didn't know what to do mentally, I was numb. My license was taken away on the spot and I was charged with "speed dangerous to public", a very serious charge, comparable to high range DUI. Penalties include a standard 3 years off the road (min 12 months), max fine of nearly $3k and / or 9 months in prison for first time offenders.

Between losing my license and the court appearance I was going crazy, expecting to go to prison etc. I was facing a VERY real risk of losing everything, job, house, life and ruining the next 5 years of my life trying to get everything back that I lost. All this for one quick over take...

All this was going through my mind for a month, any way court appearance came and I stood before the judge with my lawyer trying to paint a pretty picture of me before the judge. My wife I kept looking at each other expecting me to go behind bars.

Fortunately this is my first major driving offense, never lost my license, never a DUI, no criminal history and my last speeding ticket was 3 years ago. Along with this I have a very credible job and glowing references with a very emotional, heart felt letter from myself after going to meet victims of car accidents, extremely traumatic experience but done voluntarily plus completing the Serious Offenders Traffic Program. The judge knew that I was never going to do this again, he cut my hearing in half for a community service assessment. I was assessed and passed for community service, went back before the judge and he gave me 100hrs community service, 12 months off the road back dated to the date of the offense and $1000 fine + court costs etc. Then add on my $1500 legal costs.

Again all this for one quick overtake...literally seconds of speeding and all this! oh and if your a P plater, expect to be off the road longer and locked up, the case at court before mine ended like that!

I met some drivers at the program who are repeat offenders, gone to prison etc yet they are still offending and believe me, prison is not somewhere you want to end up! Staggering!

I know people on these forums speed, have done similar speeds to me even faster on public roads and won't admit it, or have hooned, drag raced on public roads, done a burnout on a public road and its very easy to do in our XR6 Turbos, XR8's, FPV's etc, very easy! Believe me.

Keep in mind that the courts are getting tougher and tougher because the public want harsh sentences. If your caught drag racing even for a few seconds, expect to go through exactly what I did, harsh but needed. So think about that before a SS commy pulls up next to you revving his engine.

Not only that but the victims I met and the photos I saw were traumatic, literally couldn't sleep for days, and to think that more people have died on our roads that all of our war casualties combined is staggering...its not worth it, not for a second!

I just want readers to know that before you drive again and ever consider to overtake and speed or do anything illegal on the roads, remember what I have been through and what could have happened!!!!

The judge told me if I do the same again, I am heading straight to prison...scary!

I have been through hell, literally hell since getting caught, fortunately I will be back on the road soon and all will be history and even better, most of my friends and family have changed their driving habits because of me.

Any way that's my story and I hope it slows some people down out there because speeding, drink driving, hooning etc is just not worth it!

I am not a hoon, 98% of the time I am a grandma driver but with power comes responsibility and we all get urges with having serious power at our feet.

Cheers guys.