Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sydney to Geelong, on 1 tank!

Having read about all this so called prius economy or AFM commy V8 with a 90 litre tank making Melbourne on a tank (doing well under the speed limit...), I thought I would give it a go in my 2007 elantra 2.0. at over the speed limit.

Filled up in Parramatta (20km from city) at about 2.30 pm Friday , sat on 120km/h GPS speed in 110 zones(not speedo speed) which is certainly not an ideal speed for such an economy test, however when heading down hills went 130ish or a bit more, and uphills didnt put the foot down at all, sometimes letting the car slow to just 100km/h. Did 110 in 100 zones... and about the speed you should do in the roadworks of which there isnt much left to finish! At one point down hill hitting 130 gps speed, saw some white in the bushes!braked and went past at 120, he didnt move phew! (I guess I would have explained I was trying to get good fuel economy?!) Pulled in at Albury for the night at about 7.30pm after doing 550km and the fuel guage sitting just under the half! In the morning, I was thinking I could really make it! So before I left, went to bunnings and bought a jerry can.

Left Albury, guage seems to be going down a bit quicker! hmm, pulled in at a servo to fill up jerry can and get some maccas for brekky. About 100km out from Melbourne my fuel light came on! Kept going onto the ring road, now had done somewhere around 860 on the tank and 80 on the fuel light! Oh yeah, for the last 50km you have to do the speed limit, 110 or 100 as there are average speed cameras...back on the ring road, 10 over again, then, woohoo, made the geelong freeway!

Looking pretty low now, but I had seen my guage lower! SO confident of making geelong kept going at 110. There was a Ferrari 430 pulled over by the cops on the other side of the highway around Laverton! He must have been dangerously doing 115 on the 4 lane 100 zone freeway! Bad almost killed everybody ferrari driver!

How slow do people drive! Maybe one person passed me in the whole drive!

Kept going past petrol stations with my light on! Now its done 150km with the petrol light on! I made the outskirts of Geelong! I figure it must be closeish to the end, so take the port way into the city instead of the hwy so as not to stop and block anyone, got past shell and ... thats it. rolled to the side of the road, having done 930km on the tank!! By GPS, not odometer. Also just confirmed the distance on Google Earth maps.

Put 2 litres in, drove to the APCO Servo at Newcomb, filled up with 58 litres to the brim, as I filled up the day before.

Good fun!

And I would think if I did the same style driving with the hills however sat on 110 or 100 I surely would break 1000km on a tank at 110 or even 1100 at 100!

And I must mention no use of cruise control here. That would surely have eaten 150 to 200km of economy up those hills.