Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default AU Intake upgrade - what's the deal?

Ok, well I've been reading some of the archived threads about this subject and the scale of different opinions has left me quite confused....

I will definately be putting on a BA XR6T snorkel & obligatory K&N filter, and maybe even the airbox lid from an EF (apparently it flows about 20% better than an AU and it has larger outlet hole) but now I'm talking about from airbox to throttle body, just to make absolutely sure nobody misunderstands me....

What's the best way to upgrade this? Considering that I'm not going for a 12 second car or anything like that......just want my daily driver to have some more grunt and be more responsive so I can have a little more fun with it......but I don't want to lose any torque either.....

Firstly, the upper intake tube: It seems that some have switched to a BA upper tube, where others have left the AU setup. Is one better than the other?? Or is it more about looks?

Secondly, the airbox to upper intake pipe: I have noticed on many workshop threads that people have replaced the stock pipe with a 3" stainless steel or silicone pipe....what benefit does this provide, and is it at the expense of torque?

I saw this post from JC:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
G&D use the factory AU piping on their air boxes. I think that says something for the flow of the standard tube. Bigger isn't always better - just bigger. The bigger tube may reduce airspeed, therefore affecting torque. Yes, you may end up with 1 or 2rwkw more PEAK power using a bigger intake tube, but less actual power overall.
Is this right??? If this is the case, why fit a 3" pipe??

I'm just trying to understand a bit more about the subject before I start modding - I don't want to go and get something I will later regret....

Thanks for your help guys!

Dave