Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A rant against 'Drive' & enviro correctness

Disclaimer: This is an unashamed rant, so switch off now if you don't like reading these sort of posts.

I was waiting for a coffee at a shop outside my place of work this morning and I quickly flicked through the 'Drive' section of The Age newspaper. Anyway, there was a short snippet on the XR6 Turbo. In a nutshell, whilst the writer was quite pleased with the car itself, the comment was made that he doesn't really like "muscle cars" and every time they review a car like this, they get bombarded with emails expressing outrage that Drive would test such a car. He finished of fby saying he wouldn't own one because its just too politically incorrect nowadays.

Now, is this guy for real? Is 'Drive' seriously happy to print this sort of crap? The article read exactly like they were apologetic to the general populace to text a 'performance' car. I assume that the usual global warming thing is pushing this attitude. So, the agenda of the writer in question is now going to be dictated by the emails he receives from cretins and nimrods who have nothing better to do but whinge and push their own political agenda onto everyone else. If these guys are so limp-wristed, then they should stick to test driving Honda Prius and 4 cylinder Camry's or better still, stop printing "Drive" each week full stop which will save countless tonnes of C02 emmissions and paper wasteage. Now THAT would actually be good for the environment, rather than virtually apologising for testing a performance car.

On a wider scale, I've just about had a gutful of the way the global warming issue has morphed from scientific analysis into a new religious cult. Don't get me wrong, I have deep concerns about the effects of climate change on our planet, but in traditional Australian fashion, its turned into a trendy political bandwagon. If you're on it, its a soul cleansing experience, letting you take the moral high ground and point fingers at others. If you're not, then you're an enviro-vandal of the worst kind, a non-believer, and you're given the socially equivalent punishment of being burned at the stake. All perspective has been lost. China builds a coal fired power station every 10 days. Australia's carbon emmissions equate to 1.5% of total world output, yet we have people and governments running around here trying to tell you what car you can drive, or proposing to levy V8s and 4WDs with more tax due to their carbon footprint. We're luanching into a carbon trading scheme where nobody knows how it'll work, and even less people know how much it will cost our economy. Honestly, we've lost the plot here. People in general (pushed by the media) are going hysterical. The moral lecturing and grandstanding around this issue is getting out of hand, and I for one, have just about had enough.

Rant over.

: