Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Default What options do I have if I know the speeding camera fine is wrong?

A few weeks ago I was running late for work in the morning it was about 6:50am I was travelling down a main road which is a 70 zone but I was going just over 80 - 82km/h to be exact.

There were alot of bushes on the side of the road followed by a vacant lot and somehow the sneaky coppers placed a speed camera van right at the end of the bushes so nobody could see them coming.

Anyway, I got the mail today from dept of transport they clocked me going 94km/h and fined me $350!!!
WTF thats just flat out wrong I know what speed I was doing because as soon as I saw the flash I looked at my speedo so they reckon I was 20 over when I know I was only 10.

How the heck can I prove this?
Or can't I and have to pay the stupid excessive fine?

GTS_300_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

dont think you will be able to mate, maybe be worth getting the photos and checking that does say 94km/h or what you say you were doing 80-92km/h

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusdragon
dont think you will be able to mate, maybe be worth getting the photos and checking that does say 94km/h or what you say you were doing 80-92km/h
I was doing 82 exact when they took the photo.
Those speed cameras must be dodgy bloody hell I'm not impressed, makes me wanna go out there and speed even more. :
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/index.php
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
i second that..step by step proven strategies for how to get out of all speeding & parking fines.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000
i second that..step by step proven strategies for how to get out of all speeding & parking fines.
ditto.
I'm annoyed by this. If the cameras were accurate and used correctly they might get a lot lore people admitting to a few k over the limit instead of the speeds the cameras are giving. These inaccuracies alienate everyone.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

might be worth getting the photo too and checking all the angles those things are only go on a 60degree angle or something and you passenger headlight must be 60% acroos the page, or the camera reading will be out

sorry mate that last post was meant to say 80-82kms too

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

theres a major challenge to speeding tickets, go see those silicitors
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

what car do you drive. is there a chance the speedo is out?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_300_Coupe
A few weeks ago I was running late for work in the morning it was about 6:50am I was travelling down a main road which is a 70 zone but I was going just over 80 - 82km/h to be exact.

There were alot of bushes on the side of the road followed by a vacant lot and somehow the sneaky coppers placed a speed camera van right at the end of the bushes so nobody could see them coming.

Anyway, I got the mail today from dept of transport they clocked me going 94km/h and fined me $350!!!
WTF thats just flat out wrong I know what speed I was doing because as soon as I saw the flash I looked at my speedo so they reckon I was 20 over when I know I was only 10.

How the heck can I prove this?
Or can't I and have to pay the stupid excessive fine?

You just admitted you were speeding mate,why not just except the fact and move on with your life.

How do you no your speedo is 100% accurate? I followed a mates XR8 for two hours on the weekend we both had cruise control on,I sat on 110kph and he sat on 100kph but we were travelling at the same speed,both V8 BA falcons,10 kph differance.

Last edited by FORD3V; 06-09-2007 at 02:41 PM.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
You just admitted you were speeding mate,why not just except the fact and move on with your life.
I think that you will find, if you read his post properly, that he is miffed about the inacuracy of the fine, not the fact that he was actually speeding. You seem to be advocating that we should all just pay the fines sent to us without any kind of recourse. He has every right, to fight the fine, at the moment. It wont be long before money hungry governments remove any right of contest. We should all fight now while we still can.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I think that you will find, if you read his post properly, that he is miffed about the inacuracy of the fine, not the fact that he was actually speeding. You seem to be advocating that we should all just pay the fines sent to us without any kind of recourse. He has every right, to fight the fine, at the moment. It wont be long before money hungry governments remove any right of contest. We should all fight now while we still can.

How is he certain that his speedo isnt at fault and not the speed camera? That is the point I was trying to make in my second paragraph.

Everytime a speeding fine is handed out we have people moaning and groaning about how they are in the right,well unfortunately most of the time people arnt in the right and obviously this bloke cant just accept the fact that he broke the law and now he has been fined for it.

I have never recieved a speeding fine for one simple reason,I dont speed.
You wouldnt have anything to contest if you didnt break the law in the first place,so I dont think this is a human rights issue just yet.

Maybe the speed camera was inacurate or maybe his speedo was but at the end of the day he was speeding and thats what got him in this situation in the first place,so pay up and move on.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
Race

You seem to be privvy to some good inside info on how people react to a sppeding fine,... Was it your car hiding in the bushes mate?
Quote:
How is he certain that his speedo isnt at fault and not the speed camera? That is the point I was trying to make in my second paragraph.

Everytime a speeding fine is handed out we have people moaning and groaning about how they are in the right,well unfortunately most of the time people arnt in the right and obviously this bloke cant just accept the fact that he broke the law and now he has been fined for it.

You wouldnt have anything to contest if you didnt break the law in the first place,so I dont think this is a human rights issue just yet.

Maybe the speed camera was inacurate or maybe his speedo was but at the end of the day he was speeding and thats what got him in this situation in the first place,so pay up and move on.
Race is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #14
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:

Youre the minority if you dont speed.
I dont know where youre from but in Victoria something lik 90% of drivers have been caught speeding at some point.

Speed cameras are there to make money for the government not save lives, thats why the revenue raised is part of the budget.
Maybe thats why people moan and groan, since theyre being charged for something that isnt really endangering anyone at all.

Speed cameras ARE innacurate often enough, he may have been speeding but the difference in the cameras error is the difference between him keeping his licence and loosing a few dollars and points.

Bit hard to pay the fines when youve lost your job over some retard camera operators up.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Youre the minority if you dont speed.
I dont know where youre from but in Victoria something lik 90% of drivers have been caught speeding at some point.

Speed cameras are there to make money for the government not save lives, thats why the revenue raised is part of the budget.
Maybe thats why people moan and groan, since theyre being charged for something that isnt really endangering anyone at all.

Speed cameras ARE innacurate often enough, he may have been speeding but the difference in the cameras error is the difference between him keeping his licence and loosing a few dollars and points.

Bit hard to pay the fines when youve lost your job over some retard camera operators up.

Well I am more then happy to be in the smart minority mate.

The comment that you are not endangering anyone by speeding is a fairly loose comment,should we remove all speed limits?

Maybe speed camera's are inacurate from time to time,but this bloke has admited to speeding he is just being petty about how fast he was going,if I was caught speeding and I new I was speeding, im pretty sure I would pay up, unless it was completely inacurate,but we are talking 10kph not 50kph.

If you havnt got enough money in the bank to pay a 350 dollar fine because you have lost your job, well I would suggest you shouldnt be on the road in the first place,if you cant afford 350 bucks how the hell would you pay for insurance,rego,petrol etc?????
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:

outbackjack,

Im not gona repeat myself.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
outbackjack,

Im not gona repeat myself.
That makes a pleasant change...
Old 06-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #18
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if his speedo is correct than there is a problem isn't there.

If you speedo is out 10km/h from factory then that is unacceptable.

Speed Cameras have been shown to be not that accurate and full of errors.

I spoke to a guy, who got a speeding fine in the mail, only according to his GPS Track log he was 20km away from the location they said he was speeding in.

never just sit back and take what is dished out to you, if you think there is a error or you don't like something bloody well stand up and question it.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

So you admit to speeding? Pay the fine and don't speed
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

I was in an EF so its not that old, speedo should be just fine.

Also, I'm not contesting the fact that I was indeed speeding, however the fact that I am wrongly accused for going faster than I actually was resulting in a higher fine and more points deducted.

Its not like I was speeding for fun I was really late for work and it was early in the morning not peak hour traffic so its not like I was committing a HUGE offence.

The pictures are from an angle of me just approaching the van.
They actually look quite dark, barely can make out my rego plate.
I will have to look into these options further when I get the chance.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #21
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you say when you saw them you looked at your speedo and you were doing xyz, but when they saw you what speed were you doing at that point ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I would suggest getting the photo, then visiting the stretch of road and matching it to the photo, ensure the signed limit is correct and see if there are any other cars within picture. If everything appears correct to this stage you would then need expert witness to either contest the accuracy of the camera or to contest the fact the camera may not have been set up as per regulations. There have been some recent court cases that defendant's have won in regard to this but I have the feeling they are being appealed by the OPP. This is in Victoria.

I am not sure what state you are from, but in Victoria sneaky coppers don't set up or sit in these vehicles with non fixed speed cameras.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #23
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

No im saying speeding dosnt carry the huge amount of risk thats conveniently put to us by the people who employ (and profit from) them.
My solution is to put more reliance on actual police presence and enforcement as well as more realistic targets (ie. dreaming about achieving 0 road deaths and drivers staying within 3kmh of the limit 100% of road time).

I know it will never happen but maybe there can be a happy medium.

That 10kmh difference is all too often the difference between loosing a few points and loosing a licence.
Lol when you get booked for doing 130 in a 100 zone (its happened a few times) when you knew you were only doing 105 then come back here with a payed ticket and i will eat my hat!

Have you noticed the older cars driving around on the road? Most of the people that drive them are poor and cant afford $350. In fact, Civic Compliance changed the rules regarding payment plans because so many people were being hit with extra fees just for being unable to pay off a fine straight away.
Also, many people live from week to week with less than $50 free in the budget, if im loosing my job then im holding onto that money!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #24
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
No im saying speeding dosnt carry the huge amount of risk thats conveniently put to us by the people who employ (and profit from) them.
My solution is to put more reliance on actual police presence and enforcement as well as more realistic targets (ie. dreaming about achieving 0 road deaths and drivers staying within 3kmh of the limit 100% of road time).

I know it will never happen but maybe there can be a happy medium.

That 10kmh difference is all too often the difference between loosing a few points and loosing a licence.
Lol when you get booked for doing 130 in a 100 zone (its happened a few times) when you knew you were only doing 105 then come back here with a payed ticket and i will eat my hat!

Have you noticed the older cars driving around on the road? Most of the people that drive them are poor and cant afford $350. In fact, Civic Compliance changed the rules regarding payment plans because so many people were being hit with extra fees just for being unable to pay off a fine straight away.
Also, many people live from week to week with less than $50 free in the budget, if im loosing my job then im holding onto that money!

I agree that we will never have a death free road but that isnt what the argument is about,it was a about some clown who cant get over the fact he broke the law.

As for me getting a speeding fine for going 130 it isnt likely to happen unless I am speeding in which case I would be able to admit my own guilt.

Maybe people who dont have $350 should get there sh%t together and stop spending all there money on smokes and booze,I certainly dont earn a huge income but I have a reasonable amount of money in the bank and own a nice car,Im not saying that is the case with all people with no money but it is alot of the time.

At the end of the day this bloke has no problem admiting he was speeding,so I would suggest he pays the fine, even though he believes it to be 10kph over and then he can get on with the rest of his life.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #25
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I agree that we will never have a death free road but that isnt what the argument is about,it was a about some clown who cant get over the fact he broke the law.

As for me getting a speeding fine for going 130 it isnt likely to happen unless I am speeding in which case I would be able to admit my own guilt.

Maybe people who dont have $350 should get there sh%t together and stop spending all there money on smokes and booze,I certainly dont earn a huge income but I have a reasonable amount of money in the bank and own a nice car,Im not saying that is the case with all people with no money but it is alot of the time.

At the end of the day this bloke has no problem admiting he was speeding,so I would suggest he pays the fine, even though he believes it to be 10kph over and then he can get on with the rest of his life.
So now you are a qualified social commentator as well. In a nut shell you are saying that whenever we get a speeding fine, we should just rub on the KY and take it. If you like that then good for you. It would seem that almost everyone else thinks that they have the right to defend themselves, especially when they think that they are not being treated fairly. What is your problem with that??

The original post says he accepts that he was over the limit, but not by what the camera said. If this is the case, then he has every right to defend himself. The best thing he can do is write up a letter that Aussiespeeding fines provide with their info pack. And since speed camera's are not legal (to the leter of the law) he has every chance of having the notice withdrawn.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #26
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

only way you can prove it is with GPS that tells you how fast hour going and they extract the info from it...Happened to another guy and he did this and cops where wrong
Old 09-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #27
Xr6n/a

Contest it, go to court and plead guilty but not guilty and when the judge asks you to speak make your case and tell him/her that you were speeding and you admit to it But you werent doing the speed that they have accused you off, but once you go to court and they add on the court fees it could be around the 300 400 dollar mark anyways, its quite a situation you've got urself in.If you had a lawyer you could get your speedo checked and order their camera checked & adjurn it till a later date and then see what the judge says then, but thats a whole lot of screwing around just to get the result you want.
Prob cheaper and best to bite the bullet this time hey.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #28
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr6n/a
Contest it, go to court and plead guilty but not guilty and when the judge asks ....
Or go the Cops who issued it and say you'll admit to the speed you were doing and cop it but not to the speed they fined you at.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #29
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's in Vic, 82 carries the same fine / points as 94 anyway yeah?
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #30
scottsbaxr8

Default I faught the law and the law won

tried it, i argued with cops I was not doing the speed they alledged. they said take it to court to argue. Spoke to Lawyer mate and he said impossible to challenge unless you get a right winged magistrate that thinks fines are a state fund raising scheme. (apparently there are some) was going to cost me around $500 in fees etc. Just bade the $220

System set up for us to lose
scottsbaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post