Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
lizardmech

Default New P plate laws

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html
Does anyone know if this affects people who already have their license? I use my hands free mobile for work in the car everyday, I can't not have it.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Eventually they'll just decide to ban people :

Then write them a strongly worded letter, they can't ban you from doing your job. Or get on the phone to VicRoads for some sort of exemption.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
lizardmech

I wish I could afford to move to another country.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

What the F*** is F***ing wrong with these F***ed up mother F***ers?

Why can't they F***ing well F*** off and F***ing let every one get on with their own F***ing lives!

What will they ban next?

I think I need a Valium sandwich...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the theory .. people spend to much time fixated with mobile phones. They think if they ignore one call it will be the end-of-the-world. Ten years ago hardly anyone had a mobile phone and strangely enough people survived!! [ I wish I could ditch mine .. I'm sick of being oncall 24x7 ]

Just ban everyone from using them while driving .. that's what voicemail is for. Easy to enforce. Will probably save a few lives.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
I agree with the theory .. people spend to much time fixated with mobile phones. They think if they ignore one call it will be the end-of-the-world. Ten years ago hardly anyone had a mobile phone and strangely enough people survived!! [ I wish I could ditch mine .. I'm sick of being oncall 24x7 ]

Just ban everyone from using them while driving .. that's what voicemail is for. Easy to enforce. Will probably save a few lives.
How is it any different from having a passenger talking to you? The fact is theres about a billion things around to distract you as your driving along, should they ban billboards, car radios, city link radio warnings, etags that beep, coloured cars, advertisements on cars, electronic road signs and trip computers?
Old 16-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
How is it any different from having a passenger talking to you?
A passenger is "experiencing" the driving with you .. an adult passenger will shutup if things get "hairy" (with kids you're own your own, and thats why women with kids in cars scare me the most)
Quote:
The fact is theres about a billion things around to distract you as your driving along, should they ban billboards, car radios, city link radio warnings, etags that beep, coloured cars, advertisements on cars, electronic road signs and trip computers?
Yep, that's a lot of sensory cr@p to put up with .. so why have something else that is entirely OPTIONAL! You don't NEED your phone to drive do you??!!

.. I just hope I'm not the car on the freeway that gets sideswiped while you are frigging about with your mobile phone .. (yes, I have a friend with a 2mth old VY SS ute that had this happen to them .. and it was a P-plater)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
(yes, I have a friend with a 2mth old VY SS ute that had this happen to them .. and it was a P-plater)
So because it happend to your "friend", you think everyone on p's does the wrong thing :
Old 16-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
lizardmech

Quote:
A passenger is "experiencing" the driving with you .. an adult passenger will shutup if things get "hairy" (with kids you're own your own, and thats why women with kids in cars scare me the most)

Yep, that's a lot of sensory cr@p to put up with .. so why have something else that is entirely OPTIONAL! You don't NEED your phone to drive do you??!!

.. I just hope I'm not the car on the freeway that gets sideswiped while you are frigging about with your mobile phone .. (yes, I have a friend with a 2mth old VY SS ute that had this happen to them .. and it was a P-plater)
If you can't speak and drive at the same time you shouldn't be on the road in the first place, I hardly see how pressing 1 button on my earpeice as im driving along is any worse than a gear change, I don't even need to take my eyes off the road. I saw an asian do something stupid once while driving does that mean they should all be banned? Anecdotal evidance is fricken retarded.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
How is it any different from having a passenger talking to you? The fact is theres about a billion things around to distract you as your driving along, should they ban billboards, car radios, city link radio warnings, etags that beep, coloured cars, advertisements on cars, electronic road signs and trip computers?
exactly!! and how are these young people going to be when finally on a full licence and suddenly have all these distractions...dic/<heads!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
Or smoke some weed, have 8 beers and go and do some burnouts and excessive speeding.... apparently thats WHAT ALL YOUNG PEOPLE DO!

out: frickin goverment

Last edited by PULLY6; 16-08-2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: a /= and
PULLY6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
Shonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLY6
Or smoke some weed, have 8 beers and go and do some burnouts and excessive speeding.... apparently thats WHAT ALL YOUNG PEOPLE DO!

out: frickin goverment
Of course... I am a P plater therefore I am a hoon...

F*** I hate the government... It takes a fair bit to get me arc-ed up, but they always manage to get me going...

out: out: out: out: out:

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course... I am a P plater therefore I am a hoon...

F*** I hate the government... It takes a fair bit to get me arc-ed up, but they always manage to get me going...

out: out: out: out: out:
Mate i'm the same... takes a fair bit, but far out. This sort of sh!t is bad.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
What the F*** is F***ing wrong with these F***ed up mother F***ers?

Why can't they F***ing well F*** off and F***ing let every one get on with their own F***ing lives!

What will they ban next?

yea i agree with you, but it's not their fault, we as a society are to weak and put up with all the bullsh!t they decide to pass and no-one does anything about it.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

hhmmmmm i get it, once your on your O's you automatically become a f@#kin excellent driver that can do anything.
and while on L's or P's you sh!thouse and don't know anything about driving.... get over yourselves(government) it's f@#kin pathetic,

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #16
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default This Gets My Blood Boiling!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Sun, 16 August 05
Dr Regan said L and P-plate drivers were more prone to distraction. "If you're going to target a particular group initially with a piece of legislation, it makes more sense to target them," he said.
WHAT THE !?!?!?! How does it make sense to target and single out a single group of DRIVERS?!!?

Quote:
A ban will send the right message to young drivers that hands-free mobiles aren't safe.
"Indirectly, that will send a message to the rest of the community."
SINCE WHEN?!?!?! Do some fully licenced drivers stay out of the car when they've had ONE BEER just because P-Platers have to?!?! NO!!!!

Quote:
It also suggested an alcohol ban on all drivers aged 23 and under.
How the hell is this going to help ANYTHING?!?! The fact is, and the stupid d!cks in the government are yet to realise this; ACCIDENTS, by their very nature, WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN! Young people will always make bad decisions, which will sadly end in tragedy. Whether it's speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or any other combination of factors - these things are always going to happen to the minority of IDIOTS out there.

JESUS this sort of thing makes me mad.
Old 16-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

load of bull...

All our cars have $400 integrated handsfree kits....

Why dont the government go pick up more drink drivers and unroadworthy heaps and leave the decent people alone...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #18
Shonky

I think it's only Victoria at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if this new ledgo finds its way into other states as well.

Arrrgghhhh! I need to strangle something... where's Harold Scruby when you need him?

At the rate P platers are being banned from doing things, what is it going to be like for the next generation? Soon we'll be forced to learn to drive on simulators (at the learners expense of course)

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 16-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please, I beg you, quote me on this.

In 12-18 months time there will be a ban on p-platers, OR young people, owning or driving any car with ANY SORT of non-standard engine or driveline modification.
Old 16-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

In 12-18 months time there will be a ban on p-platers, OR young people, owning or driving any car with ANY SORT of non-standard engine or driveline modification.
Already exists in NSW. Since 11 July 2005, no cars with 8cyl or more, no "high performance 6cyls", no forced induction, and no modifications allowed at all. Car must be as it left the factory.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #21
Shonky

Quote:

Consider yourself QUOTED! :P

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 16-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #22
luke

Come to SA... we've got stuff all in the way of rules here lol

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #23
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

before we get too upset, just how are they going to enforce this. if your like me and have a handsfree dash setup, like a few of you have mentioned, it's just like talking to yourself and driving at the same time. they cant stop someone from talking to themselves!!!

IMHO there is no way they can enforce this so it will be added to the hundreds of other laws that nobody knows about and are NOT enforced AT ALL.
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm i know listening to the stereo only distracts me when its blasted so loud i cant hear myself think. Cant say the same for mobile phones. There is no need to be driving and on the phone. If its that important you pull over and talk.

Ive done it once and it was bloody hard so i know not to do it again. I cannot tell you how many people have nearly taken me out even with the Bluetooth setup.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You people who are bagging the Government for making these rules, just ask yourselves why.

Governments don't introduce laws unless they have researced the facts completely.

As I stated on this forum sometime ago, US studies have proven that 20% of all fatal and serious motor vehicle accidents are due to the lack of concentration of drives, and by the largest distraction is the use of mobile phones, both hands free and hand held.

People die by YOUNG people playing with mobile phones while they are driving, a case the springs to mind is that of the youg lady in Victoria who drove over a man rding his pushbike quite legally as she was playing with her mobile phone

Get over it!
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #26
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
You people who are bagging the Government for making these rules, just ask yourselves why.

Governments don't introduce laws unless they have researced the facts completely.

As I stated on this forum sometime ago, US studies have proven that 20% of all fatal and serious motor vehicle accidents are due to the lack of concentration of drives, and by the largest distraction is the use of mobile phones, both hands free and hand held.

People die by YOUNG people playing with mobile phones while they are driving, a case the springs to mind is that of the youg lady in Victoria who drove over a man rding his pushbike quite legally as she was playing with her mobile phone

Get over it!
What does screwing around with their phones and sending SMSs have to do with a hands free system that requires no more effort than a gear change.
Old 16-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #27
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly can't see alot wrong with talking on your handsfree, but if the law was introdiced, at least i'd have an excuse not to answer my phone when work calls!

I think we can just all thank our lucky stars that passenger restrictions and more stringent power restrictions arn't on the table...

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 09:35 PM   #28
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev

Get over it!

I think youre giving the government a bit (more like WAAAAAYYY) too much credit there big trev.

Since when have they used research to determine new legislation. And that crap pushed out by those people at monash (who are funded by government) dosent count, theres been nothing put forward with any credibility.

I remember not long ago the "latest research" form these buffoons was saying how speaking on a hands free phone was the same as driving with 0.08 BAC.

And how does that one stupid chick hitting a rider make me or anyone else more liable to do the same thing? As a driver trainer id think that you would see a much better cross-section of drivers and non bundle them all into one gorup.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 02:56 AM   #29
lizardmech

Bracks idiotic plans are even worse than I thought.

YOUNG drivers would spend an extra year with a probationary licence under new plans to tackle the road toll.

And hoons would be forced to stay on their P-plates for even longer.

Learners would be compelled to get 120 hours of practice before getting their licence.

The P-plate period would be split into two stages -- P1 and P2 -- with extra restrictions imposed on P1 drivers.

The proposed changes to driver licensing laws were announced by Premier Steve Bracks yesterday.

Other proposals include:

DOUBLING the minimum L-plate period to 12 months.

ALCOHOL interlocks for all drink-drivers on P-plates or aged under 25.

A BAN on hands-free mobile phone use by P1 drivers.

AN improved on-road driving test.

The cost of getting a licence could go up because of increased administration costs and enhanced testing.

High-performance vehicle rules also will be reviewed.

The State Government will garner public comment for the next three months before making a final decision.

But Mr Bracks yesterday indicated his support for all of the suggestions.

New laws would not go before Parliament until next year. If adopted, offending P-platers who have their licence suspended would have an extra six months added to their probationary period.

Two ideas for reform already ruled out are curfews and passenger restrictions.

The Government has estimated that if the changes were adopted, 12 lives would be saved every year and 192 fewer people would be seriously injured.

In a typical year, 120 people aged 18-25 are killed on the roads and 2300 seriously injured.

CLEARING THE PLATES

# P-PLATE period to go from three to four years TWO stage P-plate period: P1 (12 months) and P2 (3 years)
# 120 hours of experience for L-platers
# EXTRA six months for P1 or P2 for poor driving
# P1 drivers to display a new green P-plate
# P1 drivers banned from all mobile phone use, including hands-free
# ALCOHOL interlocks for all drink-drivers aged under 25

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2862,00.html
Old 17-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol it seems ACT is becommn easily the best place to be licenced in every day.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post