Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
hrtrip
I Hope Holden Dies

Default Undercover Boys In Blue

I was just wondering is there any obvious sign to the undercover police cars? the only thing that i can really tell from a quick glance is the oversized antennas. just wondering if anyone can see anything else as it never hurts to know when there is one around!

Icon Blue BFII Fairmont
Stock as a rock... :(
hrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtrip
I was just wondering is there any obvious sign to the undercover police cars? the only thing that i can really tell from a quick glance is the oversized antennas. just wondering if anyone can see anything else as it never hurts to know when there is one around!
man i think that is something that shouldn't be disgussed here, but someone might PM you with an answer.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

These days, pretty much anything can be/used as an under cover cop car, they even hired and used BMW's to catch people.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They shouldn't have oversized antennas, unless the piggies use really low frequency radios over there? Cops use trunking radios here and in NZ the trunking band is 400 - 420MHz, which translates to a relatively short antenna. Sorry to be so anal, I've been working with radios too long :

The cops over here are pretty easy to spot, they have their flashing lights "hidden" behind the grille (almost always VT commos, but also some newer Mazdas and Toyotas) and they're pretty easy to spot. From behind, look for extra antennas. The cops here usually have three antennas - AM/FM radio, cellphone and RT. Also almost all cop cars have missing hub caps as alot of people think it's fricken hilarious to steal hub caps from a police car.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
They shouldn't have oversized antennas, Sorry to be so anal, I've been working with radios too long :
Oh yeah? http://www.auspolcars.info/index.php...age=vyss_ms_11 http://www.auspolcars.info/index.php...502-ms_vzss_02 :hihi:

Last edited by Dave_au; 30-06-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always look for the extra antennas, steelies, and darker than leagal tint is also a good strong sign. As for LandCruiser parked on the roadside, I look for bullbars and other aftermarket stuff to rule it out as a possible camera...
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha! I wonder what that one is for!
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Hahaha! I wonder what that one is for!
HF radio, NSW police use them west of Dubbo as well. Trunking is nice but not much good if you are 120Km from the nearest base station.
regards,
Tote
Old 30-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Usuallly they have 2 fone like aerials on the back window... and also steal rims.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

alright then if were allowed to tell, this information i recieved from the cop across the road, all d cars have the crime stoppers sticker in the bottom right hand corner of the rear window, not easy to spot from the front but they also have brighter lights from what i have noticed (not sure about that one, just see it alot). but anyway all d cars have the crime sticker on the back of em

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 30-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I look for late model commodore/falcon with antennas, rear parcel shelf red/blue lights (not always though), dash may also have the small red/blue lights mounted.

But besides that they could be in anything really - a few white totally unmarked camrys getting around the parramatta area.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
But besides that they could be in anything really - a few white totally unmarked camrys getting around the parramatta area.
that reminds me, i saw the cops cruisin around in WRX's up at bundaberg, wasn't a d car it was the actual cop car! damn they get all the goodies even XR6Turbos...make you wanna become a cop

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Personally I look for late model commodore/falcon with antennas, rear parcel shelf red/blue lights (not always though), dash may also have the small red/blue lights mounted.

I noticed on the mid north coast they have a few AUIII Futura Wagons. White with blacked out windows. doing mobile Speed Cameras

Grrr at coffs harbour.

from the 100 down to 60 zone just before the resort turn off. 60mtrs from the big banana.

BAs Wagons,sedans, territories. XR8s ,Xr6s, XTs Futuras- all sorts of colours
VZ As above
Camrys as above

you cant be too careful these days. anyone in a car could be a coppa. :Reverend:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I look for extra antennas. That's really the only way I can tell. I also look out for BA Falcons, VY-VZ Commos and certain 4WD's (Patrols, Landcruisers etc.)
Old 30-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #15
OLS108
LS1 owner

a police officer inside the car, missing hub caps, and most have a little yesllow sticker on the drivers side window up here in brisbane.
Old 30-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #16
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

steel wheels with HEAPS of brake dust, tinted windows, antennas on the back and the lights inside various front appertures oh and usually base model cars like xt's sit lower over there steel rims...

i have seeen a vy charcoal sv6 lowered over steel rims with tnted windows in the city...(sydney) around here (the gong)most are xt's!!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Vic coppers must be cheap.
They have window netting instead of tint.

But unless you are preparing to commit a crime, why would you want to know?

Oh, and they often have a smakk chome nudge bar with small spot lights.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Steel Rims (i.e. no hubcaps), latest numberplates, latest model car, dark windows, aerials on the back and occasionally you can see the lights on the dash. I have been seeing a few now thuogh that have the lights behind the grille.

Oh yeah, they seem to always be dark colours too? Around here anyway.
Old 30-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know for sure in Canberra they have a couple of SV8s with the usual dash atire. I dont know about other states but while not being related to undercover cops but marked cars now are comming out with clear lights on the roof. Trust me they work you cannot pick em a mile off unlike the blue and red lights. Ive seen an SS with the clear lights on top but no markings also. Usually falcons and commodores with chasers are a good giveaway. If you not doin the wrong thing your got nothing to worry about.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #20
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a few stock looking VRX Magnas around are highway cars - there is even one with a green p plate.
Old 30-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Quite a few stock looking VRX Magnas around are highway cars - there is even one with a green p plate.
Lol its an offence to display L or P plates on a car being driven by a full licenced driver. Unless its a driving instructor.
Old 30-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #22
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lol its an offence to display L or P plates on a car being driven by a full licenced driver. Unless its a driving instructor.
Thats what I've been told too, but nonetheless I think the police are above the law in this example. There are exceptions to the provisions for the roads traffic act for police vehicles, Im guessing that they could justify it through these exemptions
Old 30-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats what I've been told too, but nonetheless I think the police are above the law in this example. There are exceptions to the provisions for the roads traffic act for police vehicles, Im guessing that they could justify it through these exemptions
Lol maybe they can fine themselves. Sure would be funny.
Old 30-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #24
devil cv8

Quote:
no its not. A police officer is exempt from numerous road rules, one of which is displaying P plates, another is talking on a mobile...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
no its not. A police officer is exempt from numerous road rules, one of which is displaying P plates, another is talking on a mobile...
So its less safe for a police officer to talk on a mobile phone than a normal citizen. Thats why they have radios in their cars and on them why do they see the need for a mobile

I also hate it when cop cars dont indicate, speed and have basic disregard for road rules. Only when lights and/or sirens are on are they allowed to be exempt from road rules.
Old 30-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
So its less safe for a police officer to talk on a mobile phone than a normal citizen. Thats why they have radios in their cars and on them why do they see the need for a mobile
Nope, they're allowed to use them. Sometimes messages need to be sent to them which are not suitable to send over radio (i.e. people may be listening in), or they dont have good enough radio reception. This is the same across Oz- cops can use mobiles while on the job, but off duty theyre just like the rest of us.

Quote:
I also hate it when cop cars dont indicate, speed and have basic disregard for road rules. Only when lights and/or sirens are on are they allowed to be exempt from road rules.
I agree, they never know how to use indicators yet if i 'forgot' id be shot.
Old 30-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
If thats true get a photo of it cos its downright illegal.
Old 30-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #28
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
If thats true get a photo of it cos its downright illegal.
damn right it is, its just like being at the lights and a cop reving his engine, its just not on

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 30-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #29
leonbray
Cougar Owner

got passed by a hi-ace van with 2" exhaust and blue light (kojak style) on the roof. THere is a difference between undercover (where they use anything) and unmarked which are generally police pack cars from Holden or Ford

AUIII XLS with Tickford bits, 1968 XR7 (302W 4v roller cam), 1969 Convertible (302W),
leonbray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.auspolcars.info/index.php...bn13122003rh_1

Heres the cars with clear lights although this is a marked one. I was suprised even with the police markings on it its still hard to pick a mile off unlike the red and blue lights. These lights are on the ACT cop cars now marked and unmarked.