Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default FRIDAY HULK: To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?

No better way to round out the week than with a good hulk thread.

There are a number of people purporting to be car enthusiasts, but when you see their cars, they are basically stock everyday cars. Maybe a little neater than the average example or with a few basic mods.

But are these people really car enthusiasts? bragging about owning cars that you find at every corner parked out on the street? The driving experience nothing special than an average car?

Does a proper car enthusiast need to own something that little bit special? something a little unique or a limited edition of some sort?

For example if someone said they were a holden enthusiast and they popped their garage to reveal a 1988 mint condition VL walkinshaw group A, you could accept they are a car enthusiast. But if the same guy walked you round to the side of his house and revealed a 2001 VX commodore executive parked outside with a set of mags on it, would you sort of think to yourself, why is he so excited about it?

Same applies to us ford people, many of us get excited about run of the mill models, build threads with basic bottom of the range cars or many even presenting them at car shows?

Am I being a little harsh here or does a car enthusiast need to back it up with something special to show?

Old 15-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FRIDAY HULK: To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?

enthusiast
ɪnˈθjuːzɪast,ɛn-
noun
noun: enthusiast; plural noun: enthusiasts
a person who is very interested in a particular activity or subject.

an interest does not require active participation... I am a solar system enthusiast which does not mean I own a solar system or that my own solar system is any more special than another other than Im in it.
Plus what your interested in may be another persons boring hell! For example, Hip-po factory models bore me, I like garden variety models with high performance modifications...sleepers and highly modified cars. Doesn't make me any less an enthusiast than someone with a matching numbers bog stock factory special...

JP
Old 15-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: FRIDAY HULK: To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?

No, being an enthusiast is a state of mind.

Whether you own something special or not.

We'd all like own one or more of our dream cars but most of us will have limited financial or other resources to allocate to cars and have competing priorities.

I'd rather see the proposal turned around. Do all those people that don't have a clue about their car but have to have the latest and greatest and flashiest are they considered enthusiaists? What about those that do have something special and then go about trying to destroy it by thrashing it mercilessly and bringing unwanted media attention upon themselves - are they enthusiasts or just hoons?
Old 15-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

There are a number of people purporting to be car enthusiasts, but when you see their cars, they are basically stock everyday cars. Maybe a little neater than the average example or with a few basic mods.

But are these people really car enthusiasts? bragging about owning cars that you find at every corner parked out on the street? The driving experience nothing special than an average car?

Does a proper car enthusiast need to own something that little bit special? something a little unique or a limited edition of some sort?

For example if someone said they were a holden enthusiast and they popped their garage to reveal a 1988 mint condition VL walkinshaw group A, you could accept they are a car enthusiast. But if the same guy walked you round to the side of his house and revealed a 2001 VX commodore executive parked outside with a set of mags on it, would you sort of think to yourself, why is he so excited about it?

Same applies to us ford people, many of us get excited about run of the mill models, build threads with basic bottom of the range cars or many even presenting them at car shows?

Am I being a little harsh here or does a car enthusiast need to back it up with something special to show?
Yep 100% being harsh and trying to start a debate yet again with your consistent style of thread ;)

Stealth bully?
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Old 15-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m a Rugby League enthusiast and at 75 years old I don’t play the game at an elite level, in fact I don’t play at all but I’m still enthusiastic about it.

I like to watch.

Last edited by LoudPipes; 15-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 15-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I’m a Rugby League enthusiast and at 75 years old I don’t play the game at an elite level, in fact I don’t play at all but I’m still enthusiastic about it.

I like to watch.
I think to be a rugby league enthusiast you need to be associated with the game a bit more, administration? child that plays, referee? etc etc..

Watching it on friday night in front of the tv makes you a fan..
Old 15-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think to be a rugby league enthusiast you need to be associated with the game a bit more, administration? child that plays, referee? etc etc..

3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Being a enthusiast just means you have a higher degree of interest, not a higher involvement.

Most people on this forum are car enthusiasts simply beacuse they are interested in cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:

Being a enthusiast just means you have a higher degree of interest, not a higher involvement.

Most people on this forum are car enthusiasts simply beacuse they are interested in cars.
So if I join a ferrari forum and start posting am I a ferrari enthusiast? When they ask what do you drive or come to the next car meet? then turn up in a Hyundai tiberion?

Lets be frank, you cant really be an enthusiast if you dont own the item of interest of have close affiliation. ie a ferrari enthusiast needs to own a ferrari. (and a decent one at that)
Old 15-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sorry but what a load of crap, fan and enthusiast are very similar but one suits a particular subject more than the other.

enthusiast
ɪnˈθjuːzɪast,ɛn-/Submit
noun
synonyms: fan, fanatic, devotee, aficionado, addict, lover, admirer, supporter, follower; More
Old 15-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Talking Re: FRIDAY HULK: To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?

Quote:

I like to watch.
I'm an enthusiast of the opposite sex, never played the game at an elite level either. I've had a few rather basic models over the years but was proud to stand beside them and couldn't care less what "elitists" thought of my model - I liked them and that's all that mattered to me.

I don't play with them anymore either, but still have enthusiasm for them.

As for "I like to watch" - shall leave that one out of it!

Sorry to our female members for drawing comparison to cars and footy, all tongue in cheek.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
Old 15-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'm an enthusiast of the opposite sex, never played the game at an elite level either. I've had a few rather basic models over the years but was proud to stand beside them and couldn't care less what "elitists" thought of my model - I liked them and that's all that mattered to me.

I don't play with them anymore either, but still have enthusiasm for them.

As for "I like to watch" - shall leave that one out of it!

Sorry to our female members for drawing comparison to cars and footy, all tongue in cheek.

Cheers!
Gives your username new meaning.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
6 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Do you need to buy Street Machine to be an enthusiast??

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
4 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post

Not if you owned a GT F.
Old 15-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:

Im sure there is a difference between reading about cars and owning them.

there is a guy with a hyundai tiberion driving around in my area, he has altezza lights front and back and ferrari badges on the car and ferrari lookalike wheels.. Is he a ferrari enthusiast?
Old 15-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Did you post that particular issue up because it says "Hulk Smash" on the front, or was that sheer coincidence?

Definitions have been posted. Thread should be closed now that Hulk has been edumacated.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Did you post that particular issue up because it says "Hulk Smash" on the front, or was that sheer coincidence?
It certainly wasn't because I'm a fan of SM
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Kryton

If your already so opinionated about a subject, why make a thread about it asking for other peoples views?
Does making threads every Friday make you an enthusiast?
No, it makes you annoying.
Old 15-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
I think this statement is highly exaggerated, and as a result your entire thread lacks credibility.

Nonetheless, the following comment caught my eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
So if you're very interested in doing burnouts and driving around like an absolute idiot, does that make you a burnout enthusiast or a car enthusiast?
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post

So if you're very interested in doing burnouts and driving around like an absolute idiot, does that make you a burnout enthusiast or a car enthusiast?
Depends if you also have an interest in cars, might like doing burnouts no matter the vehicle.

I always rated someone as a car enthusiast when they get asked what their hobby is at dinner and then is avoid for the rest of the night. These are my people, the shunned at dinner, those who rather eat standing round a engine bay then at a table with a fancy cloth.
Old 15-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

In before the lock....

I think there are different levels of 'enthusiasts'. I once had a high level of enthusiasm towards cars, now not so much. But I still consider myself an enthusiastic compared to the average person who would jump in a car to go from A-B.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
To be an enthusiast, do you need to own something special/unique?
No you don't.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
5 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

So what you are really saying is to be an enthusiast you must must have the best of the best.

Another brag post for Hulky by the sound of it!
Old 15-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Lol no to be an enthusiast you have to have a passion about something. There are enthusiasts that don't own a particular car but collect books, read threads and articles on them.

I spent the last 15 months without an FPV, but I stilled called myself an enthusiast.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #25
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hopefully not, otherwise you're not an enthusiast either. Hardly call a XR6T unique or special..

By the way, being an enthusiast, as said above, is a state of mind. Being enthusiastic about something.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #26
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T
So if I join a ferrari forum and start posting am I a ferrari enthusiast? When they ask what do you drive or come to the next car meet? then turn up in a Hyundai tiberion?

Lets be frank, you cant really be an enthusiast if you dont own the item of interest of have close affiliation. ie a ferrari enthusiast needs to own a ferrari. (and a decent one at that)

You obviously have a unique dictionary that isn’t available to the rest of us.

To be enthusiastic doesn’t mean you need to own something nor does it mean what you own has to be something special, it simply means you have an interest in a subject.

SgtBourne has already said what needed to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
Hopefully not, otherwise you're not an enthusiast either. Hardly call a XR6T unique or special..

By the way, being an enthusiast, as said above, is a state of mind. Being enthusiastic about something.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

My back handed compliment,

There are cars which only an enthusiast would own/drive, likewise there are activities which only an enthusiast would do/follow.
Old 15-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #28
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd call the guy working on his stock, pov pack, falcon everyday, sometimes just to keep it running!, more of an enthusiast, than the guy that takes his FPV to the mechanic to replace a blown fuse.
Old 15-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #29
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezteve View Post
I'd call the guy working on his stock, pov pack, falcon everyday, sometimes just to keep it running!, more of an enthusiast, than the guy that takes his FPV to the mechanic to replace a blown fuse.
Yes very well summed up there
Old 15-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezteve View Post
I wouldn't, the FPV owner might have to work twice as hard to pay for his FPV / hobby.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread