Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which engine has earned its place in the 2011 Falcon range?
2.0 I4T 17 7.83%
4.0 I6 37 17.05%
4.0 I6 LI LPG 39 17.97%
4.0 I6T 60 27.65%
5.0 V8 ‘Coyote’ 15 6.91%
5.0 V8 SC ‘Coyote’ 49 22.58%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default The Heart of the 2011 Falcon

Ford’s recent engine announcements have seen the likelihood of six different engine variants being available in the Falcon. Within the current economic climate this level of variation is likely to add complexity and cost to an already struggling product. As such, which engine has earned its place in the 2011 Falcon range? You’ve only got one choice, use it wisely.

Here’s a brief rundown of the choices:

2.0 I4T – Mandated by Ford Corporate, the I4T is seen as a way for Falcon to make gains into the 4-Cylinder only ‘Fleet’ market. As per the Ecoboost marketing claim this engine will provide, 6-Cylinder performance with 4-Cylinder fuel economy.

4.0 I6 – A Falcon mainstay since the beginning of time I6 has been green lighted for EURO IV compliance after previously being on the chopping block. While loved by all, does the old girl have any new tricks to combat GMH’s V6 DI engines?

4.0 I6 LI LPG – A long overdue Liquid Injection system should see the I6 LPG return to favour. Is it a case of too little, too late?

4.0 I6T – Performance, economy, and no equal have made the I6T a modern day classic. Will the current performance weapon of choice be relegated to the scrap heap come Coyote?

5.0 V8 ‘Coyote’ – A competitive crate engine from Ford US could see an entry level V8 outstrip General for street credibility, economy, and performance. Is there still a market for cheap Ford V8 thrills?

5.0 V8 SC ‘Coyote’ – Bigger than Ben-Hur a Supercharged Coyote V8 has been touted as providing the heart to the ultimate Falcon GT. This Halo engine provides the prospect of rewriting muscle car history, and putting Ford/FPV back on top. Does Australia still want a fire breathing monster?

Old 22-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

I can see one that will have to be discounted almost straight away.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

G. All of the above.
Old 22-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im gonna say LI LPG. Similar performance, if not the same as a petrol I6 will sell big time me thinks.

How about a performance E85 motor?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ah man I just posted in the other thread that didn't have the poll. Noted the other one did say 2010 unless its a typo.

What Ford needs is more revenue, now that can had either by more volume or greater profit.

The cars fitted with a s/c V8 should yield more profit, but 50% goes to FPV (I assume, having the 50/50 split). Having Ford/FPV with a class leading V8 helps image, gets more sales and typically has a halo effect on the rest of the brand.

But from a numbers point of view, the I4T is hard to go past, and then id follow that very closely by the LI I6. But will the cars fitted with the I4T have much margin as they are aimed at fleets? I cant answer that, but hopefully the I4T is an option across the falcon range.

As I mentioned before, the i6 and all its variations surely can coexist as its just an adaptation of a similar base; that makes more economic sense to me. If it wasn't for Ford corporate pushing the I4T id say dont bother and produce a fantastic LI I6 that costs the same to run, who cares how many cylinders it has, but in this case you will have more functionality with the LI I6.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many barrows that will be pushed here.

Turbo 4, BIG winner except with the narrow minded who cannot accept change unless it is a bigger V8 or new stripes.

I6, why would you buy one if the T4 has similar (or better) capability unless you are a traditionalist. I suspect the T4 will do to the I6 what the T6 did to the V8.

LPG, yeh yeh, the messiah, the way the truth and the light.....unless of course you live in the 90% of Australia that does not have an LPG bowser close.

T6, the performance engine for those who want the go without the show.

V8, the performance engine for those who want the go WITH the show.

Everyone has their favorite which of course is the BEST option that everyone else should choose as well and their hated options which of course will have to be discounted and banned because they are the ultimate evil and make baby Jesus cry....

Fortunately all will be available and sales will be the final decider of what will survive..
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

LPG, yeh yeh, the messiah, the way the truth and the light.....unless of course you live in the 90% of Australia that does not have an LPG bowser close.

Is that 90% of geographical australia or 5% of australians that do not have access to LPG?
Old 22-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Is that 90% of geographical australia or 5% of australians that do not have access to LPG?
Not that it really matters, if you dont have access to LPG then im tipping that it was never on your radar anyway, and that most of your vehicles run on diesel.

LPG is best suited for city conditions, stop start where economy is hurt most. Obviously its good on long distances aswell but jeez all modern cars should excel on the highway regardless of fuel system. My cruddy AU average 6-7l/100 on the highway.

Sorry to go off topic, but I dont buy the lack of access as a reason for not providing LI LPG to 90% of the population (based on the majority of the population being coastal). Not singling you out Flappist but I believe its a myth (not the lack of access, but it a reason not to provide it in the first place).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

What good is a car that cant cross the country?
Old 22-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
What good is a car that cant cross the country?
This shouldn't turn into a LPG debate but to answer your question it still has a petrol tank, LI needs petrol to start up and come to op temp.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This shouldn't turn into a LPG debate but to answer your question it still has a petrol tank, LI needs petrol to start up and come to op temp.

My bad.

Just that there are some customers who would not have an LPG engine. Then again the same could be said for the rest. Ford would definately have to ease the market into a narrow choice of engines. Maybe 1 fleet (I4T/LPG) and one private engine (v8/I6t)
Old 22-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah im pretty sure it's gonna be gas-only hey
Old 24-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Berzerkerr
03 XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Dont forget 90% of Australians live in that 10% thats left
Berzerkerr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

If you had to have only one, then the option isnt even listed there - dual fuel LPG I6T.

Build the one basic specification and tune it for multiple applications, keeping it dual fuel for country wide use.

The only other option for a single engine would be the I4T as the others cant compete on performance and efficiency.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Mr Hardware

Quote:
I6, why would you buy one if the T4 has similar (or better) capability unless you are a traditionalist.
Insurance costs, turbo lag, spare parts cost, spare parts availability, mechanical knowledge, untested in aus etc etc etc.
Other than that, no idea.
Old 22-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #16
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Drop the LiLPG as a separate engine - just add LiLPG as a tick box option to ALL motors and make them factory dual fuel irrespective of cylinder count or induction method.

So there's one down in the book of 'Falcon Engines According to Luke'.

The LPG tank has to fit into the spare wheel well anyway, so the existing petrol tank can remain, and LI LPG can now coexist without compromise with Petrol - unlike the LPG systems up until recently which couldn't coexist because of traction and stability control incompatibility. All that varies between each vehicle is the number of injectors and the loom - and the Instrument Cluster programming. Existing Factory PCM's don't even require any changing. All the benefits of LPG without the compromise required of dedicated fuel versions. And double the range.....

I'd consider dropping the NA Coyote as well if another block needed chopping (see what I did there?). The I6T becomes the Ecoboost replacement for NA V8 - a Direct Injected I6T would be ideal. For Diehard V8 fans add a simulated V8 soundtrack generated via the ICC. Come to think of it, this might also be an option for those stepping down from a V10, V12 or W16....

Just make sure the S/C Coyote is an absolute ball tearer.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 22-09-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Petrol 4.0 has its place - surely the long term cost of ownership would be lower than a turbo. If they could do a DI version (big if of course) then all the better, if not then things get tougher in a few years when presumably a lot of competition will have DI.

Flappist I dare say the LPG coverage is like mobile phone coverage. Luke the current LPG tanks replace both the spare wheel well and petrol tank - all the underfloor space behind the rear axle between the chassis rails. It is possible to drive around Australia on LPG, just needs some planning in the more remote places. Mind you it does if you have a petrol car and get into some places on a Sunday night or after 7-9-10pm-midnight etc.

I wonder if the 4T Ecoboost engine might create the possibility of exports, given the 6cyl is an orphan. Also a diesel is surely only a green-light away.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Maybe some of the geelong boys could shed some light as to what the forecasts are considering all these new engines would be replacing the I6's they produce.
Has ford hinted at any kind of downsizing for the I6 plant?

Quote: