Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Toyota Hilux - 4.0 litre performance

Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get some info, see a video, etc, etc on the 4.0 litre Hilux?

I'm interested in what it's capable of from 0-100 and 80-120 especially.

Thanks in advance!

FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get some info, see a video, etc, etc on the 4.0 litre Hilux?

I'm interested in what it's capable of from 0-100 and 80-120 especially.

Thanks in advance!
The two wheel drive version goes like absolute buggery, mate of mine has one and has no trouble hosing a 6 cylinder BA auto of the mark.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
The two wheel drive version goes like absolute buggery, mate of mine has one and has no trouble hosing a 6 cylinder BA auto of the mark.
Agreed. I have one as my work ute and even with it being auto and having almost a tonne of gear on the back it goes very well for what it is.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A guy I used to work with has a dual cab V6 and I can say for a fact it absolutely flies. At least as quick as my old BA XR6 manual if not quicker.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah i agree at my work we have BA/BF e-gas Utes and we have recently bought 2 v6 hiluxs on dual/fuel and i must say the toyota runs rings around the falcons hey...In power and economy...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Quoted for Truth. I got to drive one about a year ago, a twincab 2wheel driver and HOT DAMN BOY do they go like an absolute shower of the proverbial. Hosing BAs would be quite the truth. Close on 200kw and ~1300kgs? Yeeehaw!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autos dyno about 135-140RWKW from what ive seen, which is about what a BA gets I think.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I had a duel cab 4X4 as a company hack - plenty of power & torque. Other than that a kidney smasher.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Aulpgute

Yep, agreed. I have had to go to the darkside last week due to lack of space and swapped the beloved AU2 egas ute for an 06 SR5 2wd 4.0 auto dualcab. Awesome performance and awesome economy as I had an Impco SVI LPG conversion done. Couldn't be happier so far. Would appreciate it if anyone knows anyone who has lowered one of these 2wd's and fitted bigger wheels etc. I use mine purely as a car ute and the rear end is just too stiff and jiggly for what I do. Plus the standard wheels are just so tiny in the guards. Hopefully 20's will be ok once I pull 2 leaves out of the rear spring packs. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers.
Thanks so far guys.
I'll be getting a 4.0 litre auto Hilux very soon as a company vehicle and was interested to see how they perform.

Sounds like they hammer! Too nice!

I am a little worried about traction / power down though...

I know they are a utility first and foremost, but it would be nice if it can be hammered along with confidence...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

exact figures ??? wouldnt have a clue, seat of the pants feel and logic says its quicker than a ba-bf 6cyl for sure. + 1 for kidney smasher of the year awards though. Traction is an issue with the high load rating tyres that are standard.(especially in the wet)
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

High profile tyres, tall suspension, leaf springs, drum brakes....Hammering along with confidence shouldnt be used in the same sentence.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
azaxr8

i drive two brand spanking new 4x4 v6 turbo hiluxes at work. there quite fast specially 2nd gear=) there good in the dirt but for off road i would look elsewhere.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

i don't know where you'd find recorded figures (maybe a commerical vehicle magazine???) but i agree with others posted on here, they are fast. Actually, given the commercial spec tyres, brakes and suspension, too fast.

I've driven a 4wd manual (it has more torque i think???) but it was a dual cab and the manual wasn't nice to use at all. It also seemed to understeer to buggery, so was actually slower than the 2wd auto cab chassis i drove.

The 2wd might have less torque but it is more wieldy, the 5sp auto not too bad by commercial standards. So much power, bugger all weight equals fast. IN A STRAIGHT LINE!!! Brakes were so so, but oversteer happy is an understatement. I went over a crest a bit fast and the seat belt pretensiours seemed to activate. Also you can down right sea sick with its ride quality, boat tiller steering.

Not wanting to bag out the vehicle too much (they are commercial vehicles after all) but i'd go for a Falcon ute if possibly myself. If you are going to go for the hilux put on some decent tyres and work on the suspension. Its woefully undertyres esp. in the wet.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Swordsman is right, the manual gearbox with the eletronic throttle and clutch is a absolute PIG to use, youll be chewing through clutches as you try and get used to the supid thing
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
mustang70

agreed get the auto if you can , they go very well. any chance of convincing work to get you a TRD hilux?

guess not...
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad got a dual cab SR 4x4 auto V6 for his business, and i agree it flies. Traction wasn't a problem from memory as it had Limited Slip Diff on the back. One time i dragged someone off in the wet, and i just shoved it in 4x4-Hi real quick. I am coming to Oz for a couple of weeks in May, I hope he lets me use it. I drive a Silverado V8 4x4 here though, so either way, I don't care too much if I don't get to, and fuel economy on both vehicles is actually very close. But the Hilux V6 is definitely not underpowered.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
GTP 290

I was at a dyno comp a few years back, not long after they came out. There was one there that was 2WD manual that had extractors high flow cats and dual 2.5inch system with custom inlet and a haltek computer (full stand alone not just a piggy back) It was quite a shock to everyone there when it returned 246rwkw.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #19
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've got these things at work, as posted, heaps of power. This coupled with light weight and a low diff ratio (high numerically) helps explain why they do so well off the lights. The first time I jumped out into to traffic in one I (unintentionally) spun the bags. They don't lack in the grunt department, but, and there's alway a but!

As also mentioned, billy cart suspension. Unless I was carrying loads all the time, I couldn't live with one. It really is a commercial rig, poor handling, bone crunching ride, park bench like seats, and a clunky gear change mechanism. All wrapped up in a neat looking package.

hammering with confidence....... funny man!
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Clutch doesn't handle stated load levels, friend of mine has fought Toyota on the issue and they are replacing clutch etc. under warranty as it simply isn't man enough to handle the stated load levels, which I can't remember exactly what they are. And yes said mate knows how to drive sympathetically (aircraft engineer, heavy duty diesel fitter etc.)
Old 13-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #21
gravelrash

you ask and you shall recieve. this video is of a mates 2wd manual v6 Hilux at our recent dyno day.
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...daveshilux.flv
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #22
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the feedback guys - much appreciated !

Yeah, I've busted my balls trying to get an FG-anything ! No luck...boss wants a commercial utility (for stupid reasons...) and that's that.

So I looked at them all and the 4.0 litre Hilux appears to be the gruntiest by far, so I went with that...

Looks like it will be have to be hammered in a straight line - caution around corners...
Old 13-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #23
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give it all it has got around corners, after all, it does have a rear LSD. Practice counter-steering :-). The right time and place of course.....
Old 14-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Clutch doesn't handle stated load levels, friend of mine has fought Toyota on the issue and they are replacing clutch etc. under warranty as it simply isn't man enough to handle the stated load levels, which I can't remember exactly what they are. And yes said mate knows how to drive sympathetically (aircraft engineer, heavy duty diesel fitter etc.)
So that is why the hilux manual i drove smelt funny.....

My suburb is quite hilly, so if you driving a manual you can expect a few hillstarts over the course of a drive. Particularly in busy traffic. Well with three guys and no load in the back we did a few hillstarts and the clutch did not smell good. not good at all. Combine that with wheelspin (no load) and a lack of familiarity with the clutch (which had very little feel from memory) and you get lots of smelly fluid action.

I remarked to my mates, 'it has alot of power but can't use half of it'. I can only imagine that with a bit of a load in regular use it must be rendered uselss i a few months. It is definitely not up to the task. With high powered cars like that you can often just ride the clutch on small inclines to hold it in position (not great driving but it works), not with the 4.0 hilux. That clutch belongs in a corolla not a commercial vehicle with that much weight/horsepower.

A 2WD auto with some supsension mods and better tyres would probably be quite serviceable (not an FG ute, but better than nothing). Stay away from the manual though FalconXR6

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #25
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah nah the auto's on order.
Should arrive this week hopefully...
Wait and see if it's quicker than a BA/BF NA.
Based on what I've seen / read on the TRD Hilux, I reckon the stock 4.0 litre would struggle to tackle a BA/BF.
But we'll see....
Old 13-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Think you find the rear LSD is on SR5 models only.
Know they Had an issue with the clutch on Workmate models (2.7 petrol) but if you are going the V6 you'll have no issues, just carry a ton of gear in the back. Otherwise kiss ya kidneys goodbye.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_boi
Think you find the rear LSD is on SR5 models only.
Know they Had an issue with the clutch on Workmate models (2.7 petrol) but if you are going the V6 you'll have no issues, just carry a ton of gear in the back. Otherwise kiss ya kidneys goodbye.
The SR has the LSD also. Only difference on the SR5 was the aluminium wheels and the chrome. No mechanical difference.
Old 13-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #28
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I thought the supercharged TRD version was only rated at 7.2 seconds to 100km/h? That would mean the normal equivalent would be atleast 8? That wouldn't beat a BA by much would it? I'm just guessing here.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Yerp, the I6 BA's did 0-100 in 7.7s

The I6 BF's with the ZF6 did mid 14 second 1/4 miles (see google for Porsche vs tarago vs XT falcon)
Old 14-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From a stop it would probably beat a 4speed BA/BF up until higher speeds, from a roll the Falcon would win.
A ZF equipped Falcon would eat it.