Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
XR Van
2nd base mobile

Default a little pi$$ed off with something that happened today at the all american day.

ok

i dont usually rant on forums but i have noticed a trend and it seems to be gettin worse and worse.

today we took our 67 gal down to flemington for the all american day there. on the way we picked up a mate and the missus' little brother so they could come for a look. i checked the price on the net and said 15 bucks per car and i thought thats fair.

anyway we get down there and drive in and this old duck on the gate says "that'll be 45 bucks thanks". my jaw dropped. i said to her "thats a little steep isn't it". she said "15 bucks for me and the missus and the car and 15 bucks each for the boys in the back". i turned around and went home.

now i'm no stinge but 45 bucks to drive my car in to their show so they can make money off it, i think not. we are the ones that pay all the money to build the things and we are the ones that keep them on the road. why should we have to pay them these outrageous fees for us to display our cars so they can make a quid. if we didn't bring em down they wouldn't have a show.

i am not saying i want things for nothing, i dont mind 5-10 bucks but jesus 45 dollars thats half a tank of juice. what ever happened to the old rotary gold coin donation. these guys aren't the only ones either, a certain hot rod shop that organises events is notorius for this too.

any thoughts from those that have their own cars or people that go along to these shows. it used to be a good day on a sunday to get along and see some new cars but now its just a money making exercise.

56 oldsmobile super 88 hardtop

36 ford pickup
XR Van is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends where the money is going, most car shows the cash goes to charity, so no one is making money off your car, other than the needy.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Depends where the money is going, most car shows the cash goes to charity, so no one is making money off your car, other than the needy.
If the money is going to a charity then the "donators" should be able to choose how much they "donate"...
$15 per car sounds reasonable given it probably costs money to hire the venue.. beyond that looks like profiteering.
Bit like the blokes who ask for people to provide their cars for photo shoots for a calander and expect them to turn up for free but they use the pics and sell the calendar to make money...

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Having been on the other side of these shows and organising a number of them I can tell you that the costs incurred in having even something as simple as a static (ie no moving cars) display are bloody huge. Insurance is obviously a big one and depending on venue and requirements it can be a very pricey exercise to have an event.

That said though I think $45 a car is very steep and as mentioned above if it is a donation I personally believe that the entrant is entitled to choosing how much they donate. I'd be interested to find out if the day was held to benefit a charity.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats over the top. These people should remember NO CARS NO SHOW!
$45 what a joke.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Kind of like when I went to Seaworld a week ago, went to go to the water area, that'll be $5 each thanks. WTF, we payed for a ticket for the whole park, now we have to pay to swim as well. We turned around and left.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think the gripe is more that the net said one price and they were told another upon arrival.

But I can see where you're coming from. I would be peeved as well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Entry Fee $15 per car, truck or m/cycle (including driver & passenger)
It does state what they tried to charge you, but $45 for 4 people it is still a ripoff to go see some cars parked on grass. I don't blame you for turning back.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way the world is going these days unfortunately ... everyone is out to rip the cash out of ya wallet as fast as possible!

Good on ya mate for turning around and driving away imo ... maybe a lot more potential participants should have done the same then the organisers wouldn't have had any show at all.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Agree XR Van: It does pee me off a little as well.

"It will cost you to show your car so we can charge people to see your car!"

Very steep I think. Being for charity or towards a car clubs coffers, doesnt matter. Yes it does cost to set these up ....... the last Knox night raised over $4,000 for charity with gold coin donations only. How can they do this every month but some other shows demand more?

Good on you for turning around!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Agree XR Van: It does pee me off a little as well.

"It will cost you to show your car so we can charge people to see your car!"

Very steep I think. Being for charity or towards a car clubs coffers, doesnt matter. Yes it does cost to set these up ....... the last Knox night raised over $4,000 for charity with gold coin donations only. How can they do this every month but some other shows demand more?

Good on you for turning around!
Its a bit rough isnt it. Ive got no problems with clubs and organisers covering their costs and putting a bit into club coffers or even better giving any profits to a charity but blatant profiteering off the hard work and extreme expense of others stinks.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets look at what it takes to get your car to a charity event/ car show.

Cleaning Products: $30 minimum. A portion of the costs for products needed to prepare the car.
Your Time: 4 to 8 hours detailing your car for the day lets say $40 an hour x 6hrs = $240.
Fuel: to get to and from the event $50.

$30
$240
$50
-----
$320.00. Now add the entrants fee $45 = $365.00 in real costs.

Unless its for charity your only reward is a $20 trophy if your lucky.
If your an entrant then it should be max gold coin donation for any passengers.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete
Lets look at what it takes to get your car to a charity event/ car show.

Cleaning Products: $30 minimum. A portion of the costs for products needed to prepare the car.
Your Time: 4 to 8 hours detailing your car for the day lets say $40 an hour x 6hrs = $240.
Fuel: to get to and from the event $50.

$30
$240
$50
-----
$320.00. Now add the entrants fee $45 = $365.00 in real costs.

Unless its for charity your only reward is a $20 trophy if your lucky.
If your an entrant then it should be max gold coin donation for any passengers.
PLUS the amount of money to get the car to a point where its worthy of a show ....... or worthy to attract a crowd.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
PLUS the amount of money to get the car to a point where its worthy of a show ....... or worthy to attract a crowd.
Good point now where into the tens of thousands!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete

Is that with you being at your own home? Bit rough price wise there.

All the same, wanting such an absorbant price to enter is crap, to say the least. Most shows do have a family pass, that's alot cheaper than what you were quoted at the gate, even with the starting price.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Is that with you being at your own home? Bit rough price wise there.

All the same, wanting such an absorbant price to enter is crap, to say the least. Most shows do have a family pass, that's alot cheaper than what you were quoted at the gate, even with the starting price.
Lost opportunity if you get my drift and that hourly rate is way undervalued.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So they were going to let you, your car, and your mrs in for $15. Half price if you and your mrs had gone in the gate without the car.

You tried to get an extra two passengers in for free and they said no, they have to pay full admission. Sounds fair to me. Otherwise half the show would be back seat passengers. No different to what I've had done at swap meets etc.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

That's like the recent V8 Supercar test day at QR - read on the V8 website that it was only a gold coin donation to get in, but the lady at the gate tried to tell me it was ten bucks. I told her I was giving her a gold coin, take it or leave it. She took it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
That's like the recent V8 Supercar test day at QR - read on the V8 website that it was only a gold coin donation to get in, but the lady at the gate tried to tell me it was ten bucks. I told her I was giving her a gold coin, take it or leave it. She took it.
If that's true, and it was a deliberate attempt to catch out people who didnt know about the gold coin entry then its an absolute disgrace...... and id take that further with VESA and the media.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If that's true, and it was a deliberate attempt to catch out people who didnt know about the gold coin entry then its an absolute disgrace...... and id take that further with VESA and the media.
Yeah I thought that too. People would have forked over the tenner no worries I reckon.

Probably too late to do something about it now.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

I went there today with my wife and 17year old son. The guy at the gate said the same $15 for two and $15 for the son a total of $30. I said to him mate if I have to pay for the kid in the back I'm going home . He then said OK you can enter for $15 I won't charge for the other person. So I gather it could be up to the person on the gate taking the money.

I have to agree even $15 to enter a car and $15 each for the public to enter is costly that Knox charges you a gold coin entry but is simular in getting cars and people together that are interested in cars to look and talk and also help charity.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

do you have a link to the web site?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #23
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
the lady at the gate was right in asking for the ten bucks(QLD) as it was stated in a media release(sorry cannot find this media release) that entry was being raised from the gold coin entry to ten bucks to benefit(in qld's case the flood victims and victoria's the bushfire appeal).i don't think the gate lady or the track management was trying to rip anybody off as i for one was aware of the $10 entry/donation and had my money ready to hand over.
possibly the QLD gate lady didn't explain why the entry was $10?
i think it was more of a misunderstanding/lack of information than an attempt to rip anybody off.
monies raised at the QLD test day totalled approx $18000
a media release i did manage to find below.

V8SA give $100,000 to Bushfire Appeal

Release date: 10/02/2009

Related Videos
Related Photos

V8 Supercars Australia has joined the country's elite sporting codes with a $100,000 cash donation to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal as well as urging its millions of fans to add to the tally.

Chairman Tony Cochrane today announced that the Board have committed to the appeal through the cash donation and also offered any additional support it can provide.

“These are already hard times for everybody but for the people who have lost family, friends and possessions it is absolutely devastating,” Mr Cochrane said.

“We have more than 1600 people who work fulltime in our sport and more than half of these are based in Victoria. There are numerous people affected by this in our sport in one way or another.”

“As a sport we are doing what we can with this donation and the other initiatives announced today. We urge our fan base throughout Australia to contribute to this extremely worthwhile cause.”

V8 Supercars Australia CEO Cameron Levick said that all proceeds from an annual test day at Winton Motor Raceway on March 9 would also be donated to the relief fund. Similarly Queensland Raceway, which has a test day on March 11, will donate all gate takings to the North Queensland Flood Appeal.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
xr 2 door
go the fords

Quote:
Yeah I thought that too. People would have forked over the tenner no worries I reckon.

Probably too late to do something about it now.
i got ripped by queensland raceway to i had read about gold coin donation but just paid the money drove to far to turn around & go home
xr 2 door is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

some things you just can't justify. but unfortunatly there is very little you could have done in this situation. some people make a fuss, others pay and hate it, others turn and leave. you have done the right thing as this will make them realise that the more cars turn away at the high cost, the more pressure there will be to lower it.
well done.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #26
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus rego/club permits & insurance.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #27
bcr2734
Off tap Truckie

if you think that is bad. Some trucks show start at $45 and go to $125. That is for the show only and for one truck and driver. I went off at one show and they said reverse out if ya don't like it. So i sat there. Imagine 100 trucks sitting there because they want more money than they said on the form, because they wanted more for the charity. Charitys will take anything they can get and are greatful for what they get. The show i organise says $10 and that way we get more thru the till in the bar. and we raise over 15 grand last year. All for charity's :
1970 Mk1 Escort GT
1980 Mack Superliner 120t: Project Puppy Dog!
AU2 XLS Cab Chassis, 5ltr, T3 Kit, Speedy Envy's 19x8.5
bcr2734 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #28
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I know this is barely related, but when I first turned 18 I used to run around in Surfers Paradise every other weekend. Clubs would have people out the front saying "5 bucks entry to such'n'such club' and they'd hand you a pamphlet saying the same thing.

You'd get upstairs and then they'd tell you it's a $15 cover charge...YEH RIGHT!!!
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #29
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this type of thing really gives me the _ _ _ _ I cant stand a show thats hits the enterants $20.00 and charges the punters a gold coin last tiem Ihad a car to show and this happend I parked it out side and paid the $2.00 to look arround as said above no cars no show. Ive heard this justified by the cost of trophys and goody bags ETC, frankly I dotn car the goody bag is usualy full of stuff I wouldnt pay for or samples and trophys well the punters should be covering this, I'm not saying it should be free but some shows have the wrong idea

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #30
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
this type of thing really gives me the _ _ _ _ I cant stand a show thats hits the enterants $20.00 and charges the punters a gold coin last tiem Ihad a car to show and this happend I parked it out side and paid the $2.00 to look arround as said above no cars no show. Ive heard this justified by the cost of trophys and goody bags ETC, frankly I dotn car the goody bag is usualy full of stuff I wouldnt pay for or samples and trophys well the punters should be covering this, I'm not saying it should be free but some shows have the wrong idea
Dont forget though ..... in most instances the trophys are sponsered so therefore not paid by the organisers. The staff are voluntary because they are from the club involved, food vans are supplied free by the sellers, the site is usually supplied free of charge with either a small amount of money for booking fees. Insurance cover is usually taken out by the club once a year to cover all shows, displays etc .........

Yep there is cost to run run these but its not usually that extreme.

Makes the AFF Drag Nationals in May an absolute bargain!!!!! Full day racing at Heathcote for the price of an admission fee to a static show!!!!!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]