Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
escapin

Default chop shop london garage

i searched but couldnt find a thread on this

have any of u seen this show on foxtel

its about these pommies in what looks like a backyard chop shop that buy wreckes from different cars weld them up and she'll be right mate.

funny show to watch

escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Ive seen it 2 times.. 1 time the car burnt out and the next time they got it going.... funny is a good word to describe it..
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
charlie200
please insert coins

What channel and what time?
Old 17-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
escapin

discovery channel on fox 7.30 tuesdays but most likely repeated several times through the week, u know what fox is like
Old 17-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Scrapheap challenge is another like this, I saw it lots when I was over there. Great show.

Also now on ABC2 here.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That ute the made was a bit of a eyesore . As for the show its funny to watch but could never se myself parting with my hard earned for any of there cars ,well none ive seen yet.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...num=4&ct=title
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the one with the bangledeshi bloke in it isn't it?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
escapin

yeah thats the one
Old 17-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

it makes me cringe.
Some interesting designs but engineering wise, ugh.

WTF is it with their obsession with wheel spacers. 6 inch spacers.... how can that be road worthy???
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Watched it tonight, is the show before Overhaulin. They did some bitsa starting with a Patrol body and turned it into a curry-oil burning greenie-lovers delight. It's almost as bad as the UK version of pimp my ride.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #11
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Yeah, seen it from the start. Another reality show about making cars out of scrap in about 3 weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't part with my money for the cars, but it's a good show for a change. (other than replays of Overhaulin/Rides etc etc)
But a lot like American Chopper with all the antics, but British style.

They made the second car a white sports car/ute. What I can't get over, is that they bought new flash wheels, put new tyres on it and the tyre guy ding'd a rim of the wheel.
He brought it back to the shop, and Indian Curry Boy (lipu or something like that) went nuts. They went and bought another set of wheels.
WT....? I wouldn't have accepted the wheel that got damaged in the first place.
But there again, we didn't see how the ding got on the wheel.

I don't understand why they test drive the car with new wheels, in the mud and sand.
And the spacers, that's funny. Oh My!

Again, love the antics, but the cars are all "show" and not really looked after in the drive train area. (mechanicals)
Looks like the engine get's an oil change but that's about it.

It's funny on their time management.... LoL what time management...

Love scrapheap challenge and Junkyard wars...... We need one of these shows in Aus
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz

Love scrapheap challenge and Junkyard wars...... We need one of these shows in Aus
We have its called GMH...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
off topic abit but would like to see an aussie version, i would have to enter too, watch the show every night ABC2 and can always think of good ways of doing the set tasks.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every one, I've talked to about it, talks about the wheel spacers.

Agreed, some absolute shockers coming out of this show. All it needs in the white host from PMR UK, jumping out sreaming ebonic slang words.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
BlackLS
yum

Ali G perhaps

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

the stuff they do canot be roadworthy can it?

mildly entertaining at 6 times speed but I turn off any of these shows when they have more family/personal dramas than motor action

i reckon its average and the cars are rubbish
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been following this for a few weeks now. There are some monumental no-no's happening. Those wheels spacers are extremely dangerous for a start. Cutting springs, cutting chassis members and re-welding them (like the A pillars...), every panel is cut and shut.

They're obviously never heard of "stress riser" or "fatugie life". Some interesting concepts but as an engineer I cringe at most of what I see and have more or less lost interest now.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
I've been following this for a few weeks now. There are some monumental no-no's happening. Those wheels spacers are extremely dangerous for a start. Cutting springs, cutting chassis members and re-welding them (like the A pillars...), every panel is cut and shut.

They're obviously never heard of "stress riser" or "fatugie life". Some interesting concepts but as an engineer I cringe at most of what I see and have more or less lost interest now.
BINGO!

My sentiments exactly. The cutting of springs and chassis rails (and only welding them up with very light sheetmetal) makes me wonder on the actual RW of it.
And the engineering of it is scary.

Insurance wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

DOn't really like this one, Overhaulin FTW!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leepu came to fame, modding older cars to look like Supercars in Bangladesh. Did anyone expect him to follow any sort of guide lines or safety rules??

" One of the cars built in the Chop Shop, named 'Gangsta Car' which was made for Martin Kemp, has been bought at auction to be destroyed at a VW Action event for charity in September 2009.[1] The reasons given for its destruction are quoted in the thread at Volkszone; "Everyone... who has seen it in the flesh has said it is a fugly monstrosity... On top of which it won't start, has no papers... We are moving plans ahead to find as many ways as possible to raise money for Brads Cancer Foundation, and the following statement is our sort of 'manifesto' of why we feel that this is the future the beast richly deserves." "

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #21
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

watched a few episodes but by the end of it the quality of work done, the voices, bi**hing and the rest of it just turns me off it altogether..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #22
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Yeh i've seen a few eps, nothin special, just some guy with with money and an abitious dream to create 'supercars' out of heaps..
...And an annoying voice...
Old 18-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

+1 OVERHAULIN'

but have seen this show, pretty orsm,but you can't beat FOOSE

Cheerz,
Old 18-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #24
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

The cars suck and the people are annoying.

However, cutting springs (when done correctly) is perfectly fine. The Boss 302 Chassis manual even suggests doing it (along with the requisite increase in damping required).

Plus wheel spacers like that are used all the time by the big-time drift boys so they can run massive offsets.

However, seeing how the guys on that show don't seem to be able to do anything right, I doubt they did the above things correctly anyway...
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #25
bigev
Bloke

Remember folks it's a Uk show, the engineering rules might be a bit different regards spacers and roadworthiness etc.
bigev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #26
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best part of the show so far has been watching leepu cry after the car went up in flames . I found that quite amusing
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #27
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...they may have different roadworthy rules but you can't escape the laws of physics. Narrow spacers aren't too bad but the monsters they've been using are seriously dangerous. Not only are they aluminium (no fatigue endurance limit/infinite life) but they massively increase the loads seen by the suspension members, uprights, hubs and wheel studs. The extra leverage generated by those spacers would be enormous. There's a reason why spacers of any kinda are illegal in Aust. and offset increases are generally limited to 25mm or so.

Cutting springs is an interesting topic. If you look closely at the springs prior to being cut, you'll notice that most if not all have a special profile at the end so the springs seat around the entire circumference. If the springs get cut, this important feature is lost, causing point loading. If someone then decides to heat the spring and reform the correct seat, the spring properties of the steel will be eliminated in that area. Shouldn't need to explain that bit further.

On top of those issues, the new spring now has less travel to absorb the same forces when driving. Yes, higher damping can iron out some problems but that may also introduce damping ratio problems and the handling traits that come with them. One thing stiffer dampers will not do though is change the total amount of body roll around a long corner. With less available travel, the suspension may be on the bump stops, which is great if you got a bump...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #28
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
...they may have different roadworthy rules but you can't escape the laws of physics. Narrow spacers aren't too bad but the monsters they've been using are seriously dangerous. Not only are they aluminium (no fatigue endurance limit/infinite life) but they massively increase the loads seen by the suspension members, uprights, hubs and wheel studs. The extra leverage generated by those spacers would be enormous. There's a reason why spacers of any kinda are illegal in Aust. and offset increases are generally limited to 25mm or so.
Agreed about the aluminium spacers, but still the drift boys have been using these type of spacers for a long time through some pretty punishing conditions.

Quote:
Cutting springs is an interesting topic. If you look closely at the springs prior to being cut, you'll notice that most if not all have a special profile at the end so the springs seat around the entire circumference. If the springs get cut, this important feature is lost, causing point loading. If someone then decides to heat the spring and reform the correct seat, the spring properties of the steel will be eliminated in that area. Shouldn't need to explain that bit further.
Yes, you should never cut a pig-tailed spring.

Quote:
On top of those issues, the new spring now has less travel to absorb the same forces when driving. Yes, higher damping can iron out some problems but that may also introduce damping ratio problems and the handling traits that come with them. One thing stiffer dampers will not do though is change the total amount of body roll around a long corner. With less available travel, the suspension may be on the bump stops, which is great if you got a bump...
Cutting a spring will increase its spring rate thus requiring an increase in damping. The increased rate will reduce body roll, reducing the amount of suspension travel required. I'm not suggesting you go and lop off however much you like, willy nilly, but a quarter of a coil or so should be fine. Provided you don't heat the spring.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #29
plext
Forum Director

Which really highlights the issue with cut springs. There is a fair amount of caveats, procedures, know how that needs to be on board before it could ever be considered appropriate.

Something I don't tend to find too often in your average mug armed with an Ozito angle grinder complete with an 8mm thick grinding wheel in it.

It is something for the very experienced only, I would nearly always suggest people should buy the correct length spring rather than fidgeting with something they just don't really understand.

</editorial>
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #30
ford f100 1978

hi all funny show anyone seen american hot rod
ford f100 1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post