Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Default FPV Sportswagon.

I knew Holden made the SS sportswagons which don't look to bad but I didn't know that HSV have a R8 Tourer wagon now.

Thats some smart thinking I reckon.

I'd love it if FPV made a V8 wagon or turbo 6. Ok maybe not FPV as it would be overpriced but what if Ford made a XR8 and XR6 turbo wagons? That should sell well enough to warrant making them?

I'd be in that. Would save on having to do expensive convertions on pov pack wagons.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Would you buy one?

Ford made XR6 wagons ages ago and no one bought them. Fact is, no one buys the wagon apart from fleet reps and tradies.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they've become alot more fashionable - just look at how many SS wagons are getting around nowdays!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
they've become alot more fashionable - just look at how many SS wagons are getting around nowdays!
Fashionable?

People who want wagons are still lving in the 1970's when they bought their first kingswood wagon...

The wagon concept is over.. Most people today in their 30's want SUV's, like the Territory, not boring old wagons.. They want versatile cars, that are safe (bigger) and have room for extra kids...

Ford have done a wonderful job with the Territory concept, the Sportswagon will never match it.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Fashionable?

People who want wagons are still lving in the 1970's when they bought their first kingswood wagon...

The wagon concept is over.. Most people today in their 30's want SUV's, like the Territory, not boring old wagons.. They want versatile cars, that are safe (bigger) and have room for extra kids...

Ford have done a wonderful job with the Territory concept, the Sportswagon will never match it.
Wagon concept is far from over.
I was looking at a Territory but it does not have the room the wagon does. I have three kids under 18 months old and after filling up the back seat with baby seats I need the space of a wagon to make the car useful. I looked at the Terry and thought what a waste there is no room in the boot to make it any good for me. I dare say the same for others with only 2 kids.

I'd definitely buy a XR8 or XR6 turbo wagon or a FPV wagon if I had the extra coin.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
kocho
The Futuriser

I'd get a wagon before an SUV too. I hate the ride height of SUV's (for example the Terri) because they feel so airy.

I do like cars like the Subaru Outback though. I'd probably get that before a Falcon or Commodore wagon.

I think the Mondeo Wagon is a fantastic move by Ford before is suites families who want wagons but not as big as a Commodore of Falcon which are/were huge.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I'd get a wagon before an SUV too. I hate the ride height of SUV's (for example the Terri) because they feel so airy.

I do like cars like the Subaru Outback though. I'd probably get that before a Falcon or Commodore wagon.

I think the Mondeo Wagon is a fantastic move by Ford before is suites families who want wagons but not as big as a Commodore of Falcon which are/were huge.

Feel so airy?? have you ever driven one?? I drove my Ghia for 50,000 kays, drove it very hard on country roads etc and i never once felt like i was goign to roll it, or lose control of it...

I guess that explains why i went thru 3 sets of tyres in 50,000 kms, must of been my cornering speed.

Id have another one again tomorrow if i had the room for it and the cook would drive it...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
I was looking at a Territory but it does not have the room the wagon does. I have three kids under 18 months old and after filling up the back seat with baby seats I need the space of a wagon to make the car useful. I looked at the Terry and thought what a waste there is no room in the boot to make it any good for me. I dare say the same for others with only 2 kids.

I'd definitely buy a XR8 or XR6 turbo wagon or a FPV wagon if I had the extra coin.
i looked at a wagon side by side a terry last night ... i thought the wagon had less space.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8

It never ceases to amaze me the number of 12 you Falcon owners who say they would buy a *insert socalled desirable model here*, if Ford made it! You all get around in $4000 worth of car saying you would outlay $40K if it was available!

I am aware you have stated "" If I had the coin"", but it happens weekly were I would buy is just a joke!

That said, If they brought out a V12 GTHO, I would fly to the moon before parting with $100k for it.

What Ford should have built was a BA GT, limited to 500, then they would be worth more than $17k 5 years on!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like wagons, and most likely will purchase a wagon for my next family car... Most likely a low km twin turbo Subaru Legacy. I can't argue with the fact that Ford has had miserable sales on their offerings. The XR6 wagon was a flop. I can't see them being successful, certainly not anywhere near the success of the Holden offering. Ford is doing it hard enough without putting out a risky concept car that is likely to sell miserably. Not that I dislike the idea. Actually like the idea. But the sheep mentality public wants what they want, which seems to be S*** and glitter Holdens and grossly overrated (but highly successful) "pretend" 4WDs (2wd Territory...are you serious....how is that any better than a Falcon wagon).... Holden has the market cornered in the wagon department, I think anybody else would be stupid to attempt to tackle that market.
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for bigger cars (ride height, not cabin/payload space), namely SUVs/4wds being safer, that's the biggest fallacy known to man. Major misconception and perceived safety that's far from the truth. Four wheel drives and SUVs with pointless ride height (for the majority who live in town) never roll over with minimal effort, or accidental reversing over things.... kids etc..... Fair go. A FG spec wagon with say ABS and multiple airbags surely has to be safer than most of the "bigger" cars, sorry, taller cars. :
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Fashionable?

How is a Territory more versatile than a wagon ?

I believe the wagon has more room, the only benefit of the Territory is the extra visibility which comes at the expense of a higher centre of gravity.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

I believe the wagon has more room, the only benefit of the Territory is the extra visibility which comes at the expense of a higher centre of gravity.
Offroad capabilities I think is what he is getting at otherwise the wagon has it all over the Terry.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

- AWD
- 7 Seats
- More Leg room
- Extra Visability (as you say).
- Better boot door configuration
- Better access with little kids / baby seats.

Thats just some of them, im sure theres more.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
- AWD
- 7 Seats
- More Leg room
- Extra Visability (as you say).
- Better boot door configuration
- Better access with little kids / baby seats.

Thats just some of them, im sure theres more.
And how often to people who buy these cars actually need the AWD?

I'm from a large family (4 sisters and a brother) and our family car was an EBII Falcon Wagon (factory 5 speed too ) with a 3rd row seat in the back (making it an 8 seater). It was an ideal family car. It has been in the country all it's life but my parents never regretted not getting a 4WD. Our age gaps were enough that by the time the youngest were outgrowing the back, the oldest were getting our own cars and licences. It has more legroom in the back than the Territory. The only problem we had with visibility was trying to see around all the big 4WDs, and there was no problems with fitting baby seats etc. What I don't understand is families with 2 kids now seem to find a sedan is too small and must get a 4WD.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #16
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
According to you that is..

According to facts and proof, the BFIII wagon is staying as it's selling well..
Refer Burela comments in the I6 Export thread.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
tweeked
N/A all the way

The Sportswagon will be like a new sportscar. Will sell well on its looks to start with, once its common people will see that it isnt practical compared to what else is on offer (a Mondeo hatch is bigger in the load area) and it will struggle.

If there was a big enough market it would be built.

Look at crewman, cross8, Monaro and I tonner for GMH, too many derivatives equals loosing ecnomies of scale and money. Thats why they are not here anymore.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
According to you that is..

According to facts and proof, the BFIII wagon is staying as it's selling well..
Refer Burela comments in the I6 Export thread.
And who buys them? Fleets and Taxi Companies..

I reckon ford would be lucky to sell 30 Wagons a month privately...

How many fleets and taxi companies will buy an XR6 or XR8 wagon.. None.. How many private buyers will buy them, probably not many...

Every time i seen a wagon i think of an old XF in a beige with roof racks and that australian made sticker on the back window... yuck.

I very much doubt if Ford have of brought a full wagon range out in 2002 with the BA instead of worrying about the Territory program that they would have sold anywhere near as many wagons as they did Territories over those years... why is that? I think Ford has done very well with what they did, their timing was spoton really when you look at the success they have had with the Territory.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 06-03-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
People who want wagons are still lving in the 1970's when they bought their first kingswood wagon... .

Ahhh the HQ Wagon....memories...memories....Our family car in the mid 70's.....bench front seat, 3 speed tri-matic on the column...no power steering...lift down tail gate (that rusted out) and wind up back window....metal wind deflectors on the rear pillars....ahhh those were the days.....I remember many a family holiday in the back section of the old HQ wagon fighting with my brither before rear seat belt laws came in...distant memory now....We had a gold coloured HQ...my uncle had a green one....and our neighbour had a white one ....crikey, it seems everyone had an HQ wagon back then.....memories...memories
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #20
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Fashionable?
The wagon concept is over..
I beg to differ though...... Doesn't my sig say it.... It should say "sales" to a car rep. "Yep, he'll buy another wagon".

If I ever had the money and time, I would do a build, like on the FTG "Tsunami" wagon.

The major problem with Ford's ideals as for the concept of the wagon is concerned, is they need to put an XR6 style of suspension on the base model.
I don't care what Ford say, they are wrong in putting standard suspension on the base model.
These cars handle differently to the sedans. And are too soft with standard suspension.

I just hope FPV think about that a lot!

Did FTG beef up their suspension with the Tsunami? (i.e aftermarket beefed up or XR6 setup)

EDIT:
What I'd like to see, is a version of Junkyard Wars or one of those similar shows, with (wrecked) Ford BA / BF Wagons, into absolute carnage machines.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfft yeh.. They would sell helps, just like they use to when they made the ED / EF XR6 wagons...

Holden is soon working out that Sports wagons dont sell, thats why they are already discounting SS wagons heavily..

Waste of time.. Never going to happen.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPV already made a "sports wagon" its called the F6X....

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
FPV already made a "sports wagon" its called the F6X....
True but hasn't that been canceled?

Personally I prefer a wagon to an SUV style, IF I were getting a wagon. Lower ride height means better handling for sure, physics cannot be denied. ;)
Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
True but hasn't that been canceled?
Probably a good indication that there isn't much of a market for them..!!
I just ran in to a couple of friends who work for the dark side and quizzed them on the sales of their 317 sports hatch (they were driving one)....
Lets just say they're using them as company cars now...

Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #25
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Probably a good indication that there isn't much of a market for them..!!
I just ran in to a couple of friends who work for the dark side and quizzed them on the sales of their 317 sports hatch (they were driving one)....
Lets just say they're using them as company cars now...
You would have thought HSV would have learned by now, considering the VT2 Senator Estate found around 6 homes, and the Avalanche sold pretty poorly aswell
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #26
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Maybe they just need a Mondeo XR5 Turbo wagon, should work well...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I would buy a wagon if Ford made a nice looking one....but they dont, they insist on selling an AU wagon with a BF2 front on it.....Now although it can swallow a heap of gear I could not live with that look and therefore own a Territory, no where near as much space in the rear but much easier to live with....and having driven many a BA/BF wagon through work the Territory drives better too...I would hope Ford one day builds a nice Falcon wagon with modern rear suspension in XR8 form...I for one would sign up
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well theres more usuable room in a Ford Territory then a Commodore Sports wagon.. Go measure them up...

I dont need to go on about it, but the sales figures prove it.. People with young families wanna be able to go offroad, camping, tow a boat, take grand parents away on drives.. You can do all this in a Territory 7 seat, you cant in a sports wagon...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Here we go againagainagain, some like SUV's and some prefer wagons.
Ford do not make a up spec Falcon wagon thats life, buy a Terri if you want to stick by Ford if not buy elsewhere, simple.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

martO did an awesome photoshop on a FG wagon.....
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=sports+wagon
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post