Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What would You tell the new Aussie boss

OK now the last thread collapsed into political and racist barbs, how about a proper thread for Mr Marin Burela.
Given that Geoff Polites and others used to occasionally drop into these fora, there is a chance Mr Burela may at some stage as well. (I hope he doesnt look at the other thread).

So aside from Welcome and good luck, what would you like to say to him?

My thoughts,
Territory - Noticable Facelift and interior refresh and LPG then diesel, Urgent.

Mondeo wagons. Are they being shipped on sailing ships? When will we see them?

Advertising.. especially TV. Sack your agents and most of the company PR people. Falcon is heaps better then commodore and uses less fuel and more reliable. FG is best car ever made in this country. FOR GODS SAKE SELL IT.

Motor sport is not only v8supercars. I would be happy for less funds into here, more into GT_P and other classes catagories.

Dealers. Make them humans people want to talk to and deal with. Make dealerships good places to be and the dealers not make you feel like they are trying to rip the gold from your grannies teeth ya. At the moment talking to dealer is a bit like talkin to the pox doctor. You know you gotta do it, you dread it coz of whats gunna happen, but your happy with the result, but the dealer experience itself? shudder.

bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO FWD for falcon
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
NO FWD for falcon
Here here!!!
Old 27-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
deathlucky
Awesome Member

WTF!!!!! are they going front wheel drive with the falcon... THAT!!! the day they go to FWD is the day i go to rice
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
NO FWD for falcon
I'll agree with that, I wont be buying a V6 falcon but if it goes FWD I won't choose it as company car either.

Get the brand of Ford to a point where people think of the car in good terms and not bad. i.e. a taxi/fleet car to cool car that you wanna show off.

Get some mechanics into the Ford dealers and not ones that say "well we checked for code and there wasn't any, so it should be fine". Actually just give the dealers an overhall period.
Old 30-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NO FWD for falcon
I agree, just read my signature and we shall hope the message gets through to the new president....

Front-Wheel Drive Ford Falcon - Australia Says NO!!!
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
MONSOON

I think he must clearly make the point to head office that a FWD falcon is NOT an option, If they aren't going to make RWD anymore fine, but don't call the new FWD model Falcon, & don't Expect them to sell any better than they do now, If the Yanks want big FWD sedans, good for them, there is no reason a rwd car can't compete fuel economy wise, look @ the current model falcon's economy compared to it's rivals...

bathurst77 is right, there are clearly issues with the FORD dealership experience & advertising(fingers?)
Old 25-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
sandmanls1

go and visit some dealers and get them to actually try and sell cars and have decent customer service.

territory and falcon diesel asap

esp on LPG Falcon with 5 speed auto asap

Kuga asap as an import then build it here

New Fiesta asap.

Mondeo Wagon asap.

Some kind of decent advertising around fuel economy and 5 star safety rating on Falcon

5 yr warranty to gives consumers confidence

give FPV more money for decent upgrades ie new wheels etc.

dealer incentives to move old stock - or low interest rate financing etc, have you done a search on near / new demo Falcons on car sales lately?

that should keep him busy.
sandmanls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

1) Clean up the dealer network, rid of the rubbish.
2) Listen to the customers
3) Get someone who can build the car better.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To get his a$$ on here and listen to what the real people are saying

Listen to the people that buy the cars that you make

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
colossus
Secret Sleuth

- SUV's are where it is at nowdays. Go to any school at pick up time or sports on the weekends. All the parents drive SUVs. Large saloons have largley been replaced. Hence Territory needs a decent facelift and a choice of more economical engines or even introduce another smaller softroader to sell along side Territory (same size as Xtrail, CRV, Rav4 ect.). The onyl reason I did not buy my wife a Territory was because of their poor fuel consumption. Give me an LPG option or a smaller 4cyl SUV and you have my money.

- With the downsize to smaller cars, the locally built Focus is a good idea. I am also a strong supporter of a locally built RWD MEDIUM size car with a range of engines say 2.0N/A, 2.0 turbo, V6, and a small V8. I reckon these would be big sellers. Yes we already have Mondeo, but its FWD, and a bit pricey (locally made option would be cheaper).

- Falcon: who knows, I'm stumped. I love my GT, but clearly the wider market has voted with their wallets for other products.

- Dealers: Customer Service needs to be drilled into their thick skulls.

- Factory - Quality control. Concentrate on this area hard.

- Advertising: Emphasise how Australian the Ford product is and how it brings local jobs ect. Holden whores out their local madeness, Ford should do the same.
Old 25-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
OK now the last thread collapsed into political ............................

Falcon is heaps better then commodore and uses less fuel and more reliable. FG is best car ever made in this country. FOR GODS SAKE SELL IT.

I'd like to apologise for the previous thread, but I'm not going to because my contributory post was patently innocuous; unfortunately some pedantic dill with pmt thought she'd be funny and cruel the thread.

I stand by my observation that Ford Oz needs someone who can focus on building the business, not keeping it treading water.

Maybe it's the failure of Ford to sell the salient advantages, you mention, to the public. I don't know how true it is that Falcons are more reliable, more fuel efficient and heaps better, but if it is the case then why aren't the ads hammering it home? Why am I a little cynical about those claims; how does Ford dispel that thought?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I'd like to apologise for the previous thread, but I'm not going to because my contributory post was patently innocuous; unfortunately some pedantic dill with pmt thought she'd be funny and cruel the thread.
Your post wasn't innocuous. It was stupid and provocative. Offensive barbs such as "pedantic dill with pmt" aren't going to help this thread either. Get over it, or go far, far, away.

Any way, back on topic, I'd love to see the Falcon get liquid LPG injection. It was supposed to be on the I6 some years ago, but it all fell apart in a patent war.

After market LI systems are on the market now, and the reported results are fantastic. Let's see ford kick off the 2010 V6 way ahead of the pack for power and economy.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool I'd like to

Say NO to FWD Falcon!!!

and sack the whole marketing department as they just give the falcon justice!

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
Say NO to FWD Falcon!!!

and sack the whole marketing department as they just give the falcon justice!

Just received some direct mail from Ford marketing about the new Falcon ute and its fantastic. I think sacking one of the most innovative departments in Ford would be a mistake.
Old 25-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

i would say "wont somebody PLEEASEEEE think of the children!!"

But seriously now:

-Give us a decent, competitive V8 on Liquid LPG
-Save the I6 (wishful thinking..)
-NO FWD
-More LPG options with Liquid LPG
-Please dont ruin the Gt-HO icon with a sticker pack
Old 25-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Joey_Falcon
Powered By Ford

In a nutshell they should take a few leaves out of Holden book, - Right across the board, but mainly in marketing.
Joey_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #18
Ringo
I see you....

LPG Territory...they reckon it wouldn't sell, I reckon they didn't try.

Weight savings - spend some time and effort in reducing the weight of the Falcon but do it in such a way that the same changes can be shared with Territory. If they were 100kgs lighter it would yeild measureable results in handling, braking and economy.

Have some fun....where has the fun gone in Fords model line up ?

Build on success, don't try to reinvent it.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What would i "encourage" him to do? well for starters id encourage him to do a global review and locally look at what makes Toyota successful and more-so why, forget Holden, Toyota are the current bench mark, not just in range, but in quality too.
Then id encourage him to build models that the largest % of the population want, focus on building sales with volume and with healthy margins.
Get the foundation settled and the future stable, then, and only then should they look at the smaller niche markets like FPV etc....

One thing i wouldnt do is tell him what models to build and how to market them, because without the proper market research i cant possibly know what the majority of people want and respond to, so my opinion is largely irrelevant.....

Old 25-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What would i "encourage" him to do? well for starters id encourage him to do a global review and locally look at what makes Toyota successful and more-so why, forget Holden, Toyota are the current bench mark, not just in range, but in quality too...
Owning a Toyota as well as the odd ford, the first thing is the marketing, it is prime time and in your face non stop, so the marketing dept has a lot of things sorted, this regardless gives the owner / future owner a sense of belonging / justifies the purchase / ownership.

Secondly and very importantly is their back up and service, they send polite non invasive reminders, and when you take your car in for service you do not have the I am being shafted feeling, but one of care and customer concern and that the mechanics know what they are doing / enjoy their work / workplace, everything has a calmness about it.

The prices are always fair and often the service is beyond what you expect at a price cheaper than you expect, every part from promotion, purchase, service, backup and general care place the Toyota as a no brainer, this along with re sale values that are retained better, I could probably sell the Toyota for more than a newer ford any day and a lot quicker.

If ford could even get half of what Toyota do right and produce a car that is not as boring as bat droppings to drive, then these threads would not exist.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Owning a Toyota as well as the odd ford, the first thing is the marketing, it is prime time and in your face non stop, so the marketing dept has a lot of things sorted, this regardless gives the owner / future owner a sense of belonging / justifies the purchase / ownership.

Secondly and very importantly is their back up and service, they send polite non invasive reminders, and when you take your car in for service you do not have the I am being shafted feeling, but one of care and customer concern and that the mechanics know what they are doing / enjoy their work / workplace, everything has a calmness about it.

The prices are always fair and often the service is beyond what you expect at a price cheaper than you expect, every part from promotion, purchase, service, backup and general care place the Toyota as a no brainer, this along with re sale values that are retained better, I could probably sell the Toyota for more than a newer ford any day and a lot quicker.

If ford could even get half of what Toyota do right and produce a car that is not as boring as bat droppings to drive, then these threads would not exist.
Toyota's marketing is plain and simple.. a jingle and guys jumping in the air... its simply Brand awareness... not model promotion.
The reason Toyota sell cars is far more involved that a few vague TV commercials... When did you last see a Hilux or corolla ad? yet they're class leaders.

Old 26-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
When did you last see a Hilux or corolla ad? yet they're class leaders.

they play that stupid hilux ad (trd i think) all the time with the people just nodding at each other. makes me want to smash my tv. and of all the features they decide to advertise - ventilated discs is one of them.

i do agree with corolla though. very rarely do you see a corolla ad.

mind you this does support the fact that tv advertising results in very few sales. ford possibly think why spend the money in that area when it doesn't translate directly to sales.

toyota are riding on their reputation at the moment. all the hard work has been done in the last decades building boring but reliable cars.

from what i've seen, the new ones have just as many issues as any other manufacturer but their reputation is all but bulletproof. these sort of things take years to instill into people and unfortunately its too late to start now. by the time people start thinking of the falcon nameplate as a quality vehicle that is cheap to run and extremely safe, the falcon nameplate will be gone.

most non car people that i speak to automatically assume the falcon is a petrol guzzling low tech (aussie v euro) large car.

1st port of call for the new ford boss i feel is to get the media on your side. for some reason anytime ford lose money worldwide or lay off a few people the media soak it up and make it headline news accross the country. most people on this forum realise that GM is in virtually the same position if not worse and yet you hear nothing from the media. everyone assumes they are going great guns because they sell a lot of commodores. i feel the media is largely responsible for the failure of MMA and the 380. who wants to buy a car, regardless of how good it may be, when all you hear from the media is how deep the trouble is they are in. ford unfortunately are copping this treatment at the moment.

demand for diesel powered cars has taken a bit of a hit with the current pricing of petrol v diesel. most savings on the road are offset at the bowser.

can austalia support the mondeo AND falcon. they are basically the same size. maybe ford are tryng to have their fingers in too many pies. fiesta/focus, mondeo/falcon etc.

brand image is a biggie. a lot of people buy holdens for the badge. people need to be made to feel the same about ford.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
they play that stupid hilux ad (trd i think) all the time with the people just nodding at each other. makes me want to smash my tv. and of all the features they decide to advertise - ventilated discs is one of them.

i do agree with corolla though. very rarely do you see a corolla ad.

mind you this does support the fact that tv advertising results in very few sales. ford possibly think why spend the money in that area when it doesn't translate directly to sales.

toyota are riding on their reputation at the moment. all the hard work has been done in the last decades building boring but reliable cars.

from what i've seen, the new ones have just as many issues as any other manufacturer but their reputation is all but bulletproof. these sort of things take years to instill into people and unfortunately its too late to start now. by the time people start thinking of the falcon nameplate as a quality vehicle that is cheap to run and extremely safe, the falcon nameplate will be gone.

most non car people that i speak to automatically assume the falcon is a petrol guzzling low tech (aussie v euro) large car.

1st port of call for the new ford boss i feel is to get the media on your side. for some reason anytime ford lose money worldwide or lay off a few people the media soak it up and make it headline news accross the country. most people on this forum realise that GM is in virtually the same position if not worse and yet you hear nothing from the media. everyone assumes they are going great guns because they sell a lot of commodores. i feel the media is largely responsible for the failure of MMA and the 380. who wants to buy a car, regardless of how good it may be, when all you hear from the media is how deep the trouble is they are in. ford unfortunately are copping this treatment at the moment.

demand for diesel powered cars has taken a bit of a hit with the current pricing of petrol v diesel. most savings on the road are offset at the bowser.

can austalia support the mondeo AND falcon. they are basically the same size. maybe ford are tryng to have their fingers in too many pies. fiesta/focus, mondeo/falcon etc.

brand image is a biggie. a lot of people buy holdens for the badge. people need to be made to feel the same about ford.
The TRD hilux is selling at about 40 per month, the TRD aurion even less, they've both been comprehensive failures... the TRD aurion gets a facelift in the new year, i think ive seen that TRD ad about 4 times.. its rarely played.
Toyota have non specific feel good ads which are catchy and promote brand awareness.
The other thing i would say is Toyota have one of the lowest recall/issue rates of any brand sold in Australia, this is one of the reasons for their success, along with building the right cars apparently for our market.
Toyota advertise for Brand awareness only.. they spend very limited money on product specific ads, there is a good reason for this, but i will concede you might take a slightly different approach as a market leader as opposed to a struggling manufacturer.
Personally i think Ford need to improve their range (specifically SUV's) and Brand image much more than advertise specific models.

Last edited by 4Vman; 26-09-2008 at 09:51 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. The V8 live up to its name
2. Keep the i6 !!!!!!
3. DONT GO FWD!!!
4. No more special editions with just sticker packs
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Right...

Some of these are already mentioned. But i'll say my list anyway.

* LOOK AFTER customers,
* LISTEN to customers,
* Treat customers FAIRLY,
* Aim for a small car that gets around 4L/100km (as Toyota, Suzuki and Hyundai are also getting there soon)
* Have the performance model use the next engine up, rather than any sort of forced induction etc
* Get our large RWD sedan and wagon global NOW,
* Stop charging huge amounts for a lube service (again, Toyota is already doing this)
* Extend warranty to 5 years / 150,000km under certain conditions.
* Make sure series 2 / 3 cars have niggly little things fixed (ala BA boot rust)
* Don't scrimp of safety and tyres.. these have let down many a drive road test.
* ADVERTISE... get in a proven team that gets results. Try NEW things, ie be a pioneer that papers and people are talking about around the office water dispenser.
* Have active participation on this forum
* Have a low-tec hybrid, (less batteries etc that still gets decent km/L)
* Factory injected LPG for larger vehicles,
* Diesel for Terry and Falcon YESTERDAY
* More female sales people
* A 351kw GTHO Falcon (and only make 351 of em)
* Investigate what older technology can still be used, ie what countries allow older models to be used for fleets / taxi's (continue selling proven models with paid off plant equipment at a decent discount, yet still be able to turn a small profit)
* Come down HARD on workers / dealerships who shame the Ford brand.
* Attention to detail and the 'little things' go a LONG WAY... NEVER was I offered a TV, coffee or a decent seating while my car was serviced at Ford (Toyota offers all 3 and more)...

Who knows.. some of these may just happen.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #26
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Service, Service & Service!!!!

The dealers are rude, expensive .

Standardize servicing & ownership costs! (Eg. Toyota) look at my focus $180, $250, $320 or $380 all ford dealerships for exactly the same service.

Territory - DIESEL & UPGRADE NOW!!! and get ride of the silly shelf that the 3rd row sits on so the 3rd row is usable and it would make the whole back flat.....

Marketing - Fire the Ford marketing and replace them with new marketing - more than taxi drivers and fleets buy cars _2:

Thats enough for now
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #27
GTP290

replace the Ford logo with a Holden badge, theyll fly out the the door then! LOL
Old 25-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell him that if we have to have the Taurus at least make it the four wheel drive model only. no fwd.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #29
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

What would I advise him? I would advise him to make sure of two things:
1. Try to produce the best car for every market segment.
2. MARKET it!!

Fords' major problem is that its on the nose with the average punter. By and large the advertising of most of their products is woeful. Ford has some great cars in its inventory but the average Joe doesn't know that. The advertising campaign for the FG has been dreadful. The whole marketing department should be sent to the Broadmeadows Centrelink office!! The recent ute and Focus ads seem to be better so maybe a broom has already gone through that department??

To give you an example, about 6 months ago my wife wanted to get a new car. She wanted something a little smaller and zippier than her Toyota Camry. She was just going to buy a Corolla as she wasn't aware of any real alternatives. I virtually had to drag her down to a Ford dealership to look at a Focus. A Ford "what" she said... No product awareness. She ended up getting one after a back to back drive. Six months down the track, she loves it!! I should have got the commission on the sale!!

In a nutshell, Holden outsell you with an inferior product by a margin of roughly 2:1... It isn't hard to figure out why... They market every car in their inventory well, whilst you give us dancing fingers!!
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #30
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

No FWD for the Falcon,

Build a proper V8 and I won't have to buy a Holden,

Please please please sack the design department, is the FG honestly the best you could do with a clean sheet of paper. The new Mondeo looks great, as does the DB9, Vantage, new XF Jags, all the Volvos. What are you guys doing?

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post