Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Default The real GTS-R for Melborne

From SMH (its also on drive).

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...788544765.html

Quote:
HOLDEN'S performance-car division is due to unveil at the Melbourne motor show this morning the fastest, most powerful - and most expensive - Australian-made road car of all time.

It is based on the humble Holden Commodore sedan but thanks to a heart transplant is powered by a massive 7.0-litre V8 from a race-bred version of the Chevrolet Corvette in the United States.

The Holden Special Vehicles super-sedan is likely to cost in excess of $150,000, more than twice the price of the most expensive model currently. It will have the biggest brakes ever fitted to a Holden, will meet the latest vehicle emissions requirements and won't use much more fuel than current Holden V8s.

"Holden and HSV have had record sales of V8s over the past 12 months and we believe there is definitely a market for this car," HSV boss Scott Grant told the Herald.

"Despite the hype around petrol prices, the passion for performance-based cars in Australia is stronger than it's ever been. Buyers have clearly demonstrated this by voting with their wallets and continuing to buy V8s."

The car should be in showrooms in July. HSV will build each car by hand alongside its Holden Racing Team headquarters, but the car will still be covered by the regular Commodore's three-year, 100,000-kilometre warranty.

"This is everything we've learned about V8 Supercar racing and building special road cars, but in one vehicle," said Grant.

HSV claims the car will sprint from rest to 100kmh in a Porsche-quick 4.7 seconds but its top speed will be limited to 250kmh, the same as its German rivals.

To ensure it has sufficient grip to handle the extra power (said to be 370kW, 20 per cent more than the most powerful V8 available in a Holden) HSV is due to fly a test car to a specially made automotive ice rink in Sweden to calibrate the car's stability control system. The idea is that if it can grip well on ice, it will grip even better on tarmac.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congradulations to HSV. Have full respect for a company that wants to move forward and produce high performance Australian production cars (with a little help from corvette to make it possible). Unlike FPV where they are trying to cut savings by using the same wheels package as the older models.

I wonder when FPV will have an answer to this?
futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura
Congradulations to HSV. Have full respect for a company that wants to move forward and produce high performance Australian production cars (with a little help from corvette to make it possible). Unlike FPV where they are trying to cut savings by using the same wheels package as the older models.

I wonder when FPV will have an answer to this?
Ill agree to that, good on them for doing it. People have been saying someone should build one, will be interesting to watch sales. I couldn't imagine them needing to sell many to atleast break even.

Saying that, it looks like a little fat pig.

I couldn't care less if FPV dont bother with it, just stick to making the current line up successful!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
PETE_XR6

Ford have announced they are going to build GT's geared towards handling than out right speed . All GT's will be fitted with a 2 litre diesel engine
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one thing that HSV does so well is it gives the Punters something to aspire to. Aspirational cars a lot of good to a brand. Take WRX & STI and what they have done to Subaru. Take four little letters G T H O...

FPV is an aspirational brand to most Ford lovers but HSV know how to pull the right heart strings just that little bit better.

Although most show cars are just that, HSV and Holden know how to play the game at another level that our beloved Ford.

I don't think it would hurt Ford to throw a Ford GT/Mustrang Cobra donk in an FPV and say, "We're done it to guage public reaction..." Then let the public go wild...

Its all about the emotion....
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

congrats to HSV for doing it, i guess we can only hope it inspires ford to do something similar! time will tell.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

totally agree with you on this one mate... imho a large factor of a performance car company is perception, from their customers but also from the general public. regardless of how this gts-r looks or its pricing, developing a 'new' model with any mechanical changes requires time and $$$. Even if the model doesn't sell well, there is a certain sense of confidence in the company knowing they have the ability to develop new models with a decent budget. Will definitely be interesting to see this in the metal

Julza

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
The one thing that HSV does so well is it gives the Punters something to aspire to. Aspirational cars a lot of good to a brand. Take WRX & STI and what they have done to Subaru. Take four little letters G T H O...

FPV is an aspirational brand to most Ford lovers but HSV know how to pull the right heart strings just that little bit better.

Although most show cars are just that, HSV and Holden know how to play the game at another level that our beloved Ford.

I don't think it would hurt Ford to throw a Ford GT/Mustrang Cobra donk in an FPV and say, "We're done it to guage public reaction..." Then let the public go wild...

Its all about the emotion....

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
HSE2

It’s called the W427.

370 kws and 640nm.

I have a different price to what the 150k ask in that article says
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
HSE2

Should also mention 6 piston brakes, carbon fibre rear wing, active exhaust system and cleared for a 200 a year run. Its not a limited production run.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 29-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Should also mention 6 piston brakes, carbon fibre rear wing, active exhaust system and cleared for a 200 a year run. Its not a limited production run.
Ah got my wires crossed. They have no plan re numbers as such. Sounds like about 4 a week for the first year but it is essentially a built to order deal. Customers can watch their car being built.

Some impressive engineering in the car. Take the brakes for example. Bringing back six pistons requires new calibration that will not only be expensive to HSV, exclusive also to the one model. Down the track though, development for the next generation of HSVs has effectively been started with this car. The way it should be done.
Old 29-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Ah got my wires crossed. They have no plan re numbers as such. Sounds like about 4 a week for the first year but it is essentially a built to order deal. Customers can watch their car being built.

Some impressive engineering in the car. Take the brakes for example. Bringing back six pistons requires new calibration that will not only be expensive to HSV, exclusive also to the one model. Down the track though, development for the next generation of HSVs has effectively been started with this car. The way it should be done.
Congrats to HSV for having a good crack.

But most of you should get over how many pistons in brakes.. The M3 was about the best braked vehicle for years with single piston calipers. There are plenty of single piston applications that are light years ahead of the 4 and 6 piston stuff on FPV/HSV.
Old 29-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want 1.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spose most of the money went into performance stuff then because it doesn't look much on the outside. Awesome anyway!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Why does it look like a VZ Clubsport?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might add that they might want to becarefull how they price it. The GT-R will smoke this thing and unless you want a sedan I don't see any other reason why you'd buy the GTS-R
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

News flash: To counter HSV's new 370kw GTS-R, FPV release new stripe package.!!

PS; I hope I'm wrong..
Old 29-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
XRQTR
TBA Customs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PMSL

but you forgot about the repositioning of the cup holders for a better performance feel
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts

PS; I hope I'm wrong..
That'd be about right too i reckon.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

PS; I hope I'm wrong..
rofl
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
News flash: To counter HSV's new 370kw GTS-R, FPV 1972release new stripe package.!!

PS; I hope I'm wrong..
They will get the white GT stick some green stripes and a picture of a falcon on the rear panel and reinvent the SUPERBIRD of 1972 - it worked for the GT anniversary and the Cobra ones
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers...... It's all about numbers..... where's the media writing their doom and gloom articles about Auzzie made cars that'll end up in our 18 yrs hands, killing inocent pedestrians as they did with the typhoon!!!!!

To me, i want to look at the car - yep still looks crap!!

When i sit in the drivers seat, i want to like what i see - Looks like someone vomited!!(have a look at drive)

They'll sell it, but who cares!!
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #22
MRJUCY
Fordless

Good on HSV for pushing the boundaries. I’m glad it’s fast because it’s appallingly ugly but at least I shouldn’t be looking at it for long.

PS Yes BMW have persevered with single piston calipers when every one else has dumped them but they've also copped a lot of flack for having sub standard brakes & for equipping all their magazine road test cars with competition pads rather then what they actually sell.

Last edited by MRJUCY; 29-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not anti-Holden but that thing is disgustingly ugly - if I spent $150K on a car I would want people to know I spent $150K. It looks like a fleet pack Omega with 20" wheels (which are also the ugliest wheels I have ever laid eyes on - they remind me of an Irish lucky charm). Colour is foul too. It would look OK in black but what car dosn't.

For the money you'd have an Audi RS4 or BMW M3 - whats the Holden offer - 2 inches more rear legroom pfft who cares...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #24
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it costs $150k to compete with the turbo falcons hey?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #25
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It does nothing for me.
Lets face it HSVs were alreadya f'n fast car.
This thing slightly is faster, more plasticy looking and that red interior! Totally lacking in taste.
Fast holden and fords were about affordable performance cars.
This thing is in the Porsche etc price range. For that money I dont want a "holden Commodore" or "ford Falcon" like the sales rep or taxi driver has.
And i DO want a tasteful interior and exterior.

IF thats holdens Mebourne motor show stealer, they failed.
Ford has all new car to show off, Holden has slightly different plastic and new engine.
Im not gunna stand for ages looking at a bonnet coz theres an engine hidden in it.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #26
Boosh Brus

Hopefully it will depreciate badly and I will able to afford one in a couple of years.
If I wanted a Holden/HSV and had $150k Id rather go on holidays for 3 months then supercharge a Clubsport.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #27
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

What is it with the whole Animal Face thing going on????
first it was the FPV "racoon" eyes, now HSV?!?

Folks i present to you the bloody fast and brilliantly engineered HSV W(what the hell does the W stand for???) 427

or as i like to call it, the HSV "walrus" 427 maybe??? Thats what the W stands for, IM SURE! what else automotive does W stand for???

or if you prefer, maybe the HSV "Pig Nose" 427 ???

Note, not to be confused with HRT's "Big Nose"

Stunningly quick car, But on par with AU forte in the looks department.

and i say again, what does W stand for???
some common performance car letters
GT stands for Gran turismo or Grant Tourer (GT/GTS/GTSR
R stands for Racing (R/Spec R8
P stands for performance GTP ESP
HO stands handling options/high output GTHO

W stands for wishbone/watts linkage/W16???? WALRUS, walrus it is.

if it stands for walkinshaw i think i'll vomit. bloody sycophants. it should be the HSV GMPBR427 (General Motors Parts Bin Raid) or BDM427 (bogan death machine)

Last edited by brodfloyd; 29-02-2008 at 10:43 AM.
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #28
Steve
torque is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
first it was the FPV "racoon" eyes, now HSV have to get in on the action!!!

Folks i present to you the HSV W(what the hell does the W stand for???) 427

or as i like to call it, the HSV "walrus" Mouth maybe??? Thats what the W stands for, IM SURE! what else automotive does W stand for???

or if you prefer, the HSV "Pig Nose" ???

if it stands for walkinshaw i think i'll vomit. bloody sycophants. it should be the HSV GMPBR427 (General Motors Parts Bin Raid) or BDM427 (bogan death machine)
Oh my God!!! It's the HSV Zoidberg!
Old 29-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #29
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Oh my God!!! It's the HSV Zoidberg!
Hooray!

Now when do I get my free meal?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #30
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
first it was the FPV "racoon" eyes, now HSV?!?

Folks i present to you the bloody fast and brilliantly engineered HSV W(what the hell does the W stand for???) 427

or as i like to call it, the HSV "walrus" 427 maybe??? Thats what the W stands for, IM SURE! what else automotive does W stand for???

or if you prefer, maybe the HSV "Pig Nose" 427 ???

Where's the quote of the day Award!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute GOLD
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post