Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default So you think street racing is not stupid ?

Copied from another forum

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/02/16....ap/index.html

ACCOKEEK, Maryland (AP) -- A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch a drag race on a suburban road early Saturday, killing eight people and injuring at least five, police said.

Police investigate the accident scene Saturday in Accokeek, Maryland.

1 of 2 Police said the white sedan was not involved in the street race but accidentally drove into the crowd of about 50 people that had spilled onto the highway to watch two racing cars speed off.

"There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, whose father was among the dead.

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61.

"He wasn't breathing, he wasn't moving," she said. "His body was in pieces."

Gaines said the car did not have its lights on, but police could not confirm that.

The white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 around 3:40 a.m., Prince George's County Police Cpl. Clinton Copeland said.

A tractor-trailer that came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the road as it tried to avoid the crash, he said.

"It's probably one of the worst scenes I've seen," Copeland said. "This is a situation that could have been avoided, and it's a very tragic situation."

The victims ranged in age from their 20s to 60s, police said. Seven people were pronounced dead at the scene, and an eighth died later at a hospital.

Hours after the accident on the divided highway in Accokeek, bodies covered in white sheets were scattered along what police were calling a 200-yard crime scene. Some were in the road, while others were on the shoulder. Watch sheet-covered bodies lying along road »

The sedan came to a rest on an embankment about 150 feet from where the crowd had been. It had a crumpled front and hood, and the roof had partially collapsed.

The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, Police Capt. Donald Frick said. Police said a body found in the car was one of the spectators and not a passenger as they had previously reported.

According to police, two cars had lined up for a race on the smooth and relatively flat and straight stretch of highway. They spun their wheels, kicking up smoke, then sped off, Copeland said. Learn about street racing »

The crowd then moved into the road to watch the cars drive away. The combination of the smoke and the dark morning likely meant the driver of the approaching white sedan could not see the crowd. No charges were pending.

Authorities were looking for the drivers of the two cars involved in the race.

Authorities were working to identify the victims by showing digital photos of them to bystanders who said loved ones had been hurt. John Courtney said after viewing one of the images that his brother, Mark, 33, was among the dead.

"He liked going to the race track, watching races," Courtney said. "It's going to take a toll on my family for a long time."

Investigators had "more questions than answers," Copeland said.

Route 210 has two lanes in each direction and traffic lights about every 150 to 200 yards in Accokeek, about 20 miles south of Washington. In that area, the road is flanked by some businesses but has little traffic in the early hours, Copeland said.

Frick said it's common in the summer for police to deal with reports of motorcycles racing on the highway, which is relatively smooth with long straightaways, but he said they have not had as much of an issue

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

We still have people here who dont have insurance, I hope you dont think they are capable of squeezing out a rational post at the same time?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
We still have people here who dont have insurance, I hope you dont think they are capable of squeezing out a rational post at the same time?
LMAO Quote of the year.

(Unless you are referring to people with so many toys and so much money they just self insure)
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I'd safely say 99% of folk would find street racing 'stupid', just as many more find 'driving like an idiot', also stoopid.

The bottom <10% again.

Quote:
the white sedan was not involved in the street race but accidentally drove into the crowd of about 50 people that had spilled onto the highway to watch two racing cars speed off
Oh dear oh dear - 'can't see where I'm going, I'll just go regardless, not above the limit afterall'.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

Spectators are crazier than Euro Rally spectators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Oh dear oh dear - 'can't see where I'm going, I'll just go regardless, not above the limit afterall'.
You stop for fog or mist? Stop, not simply slow down. There was nothing said that suggests the driver didnt slow down or that he knew it was tyre smoke as opposed to say side of the road burnoff smoke, or fog etc.

Tell me you actually stop for patches of fog, or roadside burnoffs, you know, the ones where theres signs saying 'smoke hazard' its a regular enough part of driving.

Coming up on tyre smoke as in this situation its doubtful there was half a kilometre of smoke. Its more likely the driver came across the smoke and bang, it would be close to the start point where the spectators were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko4d
fookin drivers

im sick of politicians and people blaming street races for everything when clearly this accident was the fault of someone that wasnt racing

i dont mean to have a go at you but if you think you can say street racing is stupid because some idiot that wasnt racing killed some admirers then you should join up with johnny howard

if you read it clearly the racers didnt hurt anyone some spastic with no idea did
If it wasnt for the street race, the 'spectators' wouldnt be there, and the white car would have used the road as per normal.

Its the idiots attending the street race that claim the white car had no lights on. Given the trashed front and the circumstances its likely the idiots with their back to it didnt notice them until they were broken.

The rest of the population are sick of street racers and the various imbeciles who justify their actions and blame others for their own ineptitude despite the masses of clear evidence.

Look at your own logic. The idiots on the road were in your words 'admirers', a driver just driving along who came across smoke and bang in an instant, and you call him an idiot? Tell me again, you stop for patchy fog, mist, side of road burnoffs. Come on Nanna.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are they standing in the middle of a highway anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

sound like general stupidity to me.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
sound like general stupidity to me.
Sums up street racing in general actually!
Old 17-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look im not saying that street racing is not stupid, but if ya going to stand on the middle of a dark HWY that has a tyre smoke haze shielding you from being seen then perhaps your are lacking some of the basic brain activity that keep you alive day to day, and to top it all off the car that crashed was not even involved in the Race.
Old 17-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets stand on the highway and watch cars take off....

Darwin Awards?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
syko4d

i dont think it was street racing that cause this crash it was someone driving blind simple if i was driving along a road and seen heaps of smoke and couldnt see id stop thinkin maybe some one had crashed but then again apperently the white car didnt have lights on either so dont blame the street racing blame the real problem ,

fookin drivers

im sick of politicians and people blaming street races for everything when clearly this accident was the fault of someone that wasnt racing

i dont mean to have a go at you but if you think you can say street racing is stupid because some idiot that wasnt racing killed some admirers then you should join up with johnny howard

if you read it clearly the racers didnt hurt anyone some spastic with no idea did
syko4d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Not related really, cept stars inoccent bystanders as victims.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/080216/2/15uy2.html
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
syko4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Not related really, cept stars inoccent bystanders as victims.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/080216/2/15uy2.html

now thats stupidity and is a higher cause of accident
Old 17-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
i dont think it was street racing that cause this crash it was someone driving blind simple if i was driving along a road and seen heaps of smoke and couldnt see id stop thinkin maybe some one had crashed but then again apperently the white car didnt have lights on either so dont blame the street racing blame the real problem ,

fookin drivers

Are you for real mate, Here we have a bunch of absolute Morons "Drag racing" on the Highway with all there mates standing on the side of the road watching. Due to this not being at a race track there is no fence to keep there mates of the road they all want to get the best veiw so as 1 moves forward they all move forward and before they all know it they are standing on the road.
As for the white car that hit the crowd, the spectators are the ones saying it didnt have its lights on, what i found funny listening to the video clips was the spectators could see a white car coming but couldnt get out the way, i think there was a bit of guessing going on out there to whether the lights were on or not.
Before you go blaming the driver of the white car that was driving down the Highway and suddenly had people bouncing of his car everywhere and also had one land inside his car, just take a second to think who would you trust a bunch of illegal street races and there mates or this innocent person driving down the road.
You can always tell the type of people they are as when something goes wrong like this everyone does a runner and leaves all the injured/dead behind.
When Troy Critchley crashed his Pro Mod into the crowd and killed those people there were still people there 24hrs later but that was an organised event its a little different this.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBBossedXR
Are you for real mate, Here we have a bunch of absolute Morons "Drag racing" on the Highway with all there mates standing on the side of the road watching. Due to this not being at a race track there is no fence to keep there mates of the road they all want to get the best veiw so as 1 moves forward they all move forward and before they all know it they are standing on the road.
As for the white car that hit the crowd, the spectators are the ones saying it didnt have its lights on, what i found funny listening to the video clips was the spectators could see a white car coming but couldnt get out the way, i think there was a bit of guessing going on out there to whether the lights were on or not.
Before you go blaming the driver of the white car that was driving down the Highway and suddenly had people bouncing of his car everywhere and also had one land inside his car, just take a second to think who would you trust a bunch of illegal street races and there mates or this innocent person driving down the road.
You can always tell the type of people they are as when something goes wrong like this everyone does a runner and leaves all the injured/dead behind.
When Troy Critchley crashed his Pro Mod into the crowd and killed those people there were still people there 24hrs later but that was an organised event its a little different this.
What so if you see 5o people standing on the road you just plow through them, regardless of weather they should be there or not. Wouldnt all the cars parked on the side of the road be a dead give away that there may be something wrong or a good reason to slow down.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:

fookin drivers

Mate this is a really simple equation... NO RACERS = NO CROWD = NO DEATHS!
And NO innocent guy having to live with taking the lives of eight people.
I imagine the fact he did nothing wrong will do little to comfort him.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
Mate this is a really simple equation... NO RACERS = NO CROWD = NO DEATHS!
And NO innocent guy having to live with taking the lives of eight people.
I imagine the fact he did nothing wrong will do little to comfort him.
How the hell can you say he did nothing wrong, he ran 8 people over. If a kid had run out in front of him then you could say he did nothing wrong, but to plow through a large crowd of people is completely his fault.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
How the hell can you say he did nothing wrong, he ran 8 people over. If a kid had run out in front of him then you could say he did nothing wrong, but to plow through a large crowd of people is completely his fault.
If the kid ran from the bushes on a highway in front a car, yeah, the driver did nothing wrong.

Are you gonna say you stop, stop not simply slow and focus a tad more, on every country rd at night when you hit those little patches of fog? This guy probably hit the smoke maybe 1/2 a second before hitting his first idiot.

Are you really that simple that you think the driver deliberately plowed these clowns? Are you even awake?
Old 17-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
If the kid ran from the bushes on a highway in front a car, yeah, the driver did nothing wrong.

Are you gonna say you stop, stop not simply slow and focus a tad more, on every country rd at night when you hit those little patches of fog? This guy probably hit the smoke maybe 1/2 a second before hitting his first idiot.

Are you really that simple that you think the driver deliberately plowed these clowns? Are you even awake?
If im typing this i must be awake : .

If i come through a foggy patch i adjust my speed depending on how thick it is and how far i can see up the road. If you can only see 5o meters up the road you don't sit there doing 8ok's do you, you go quick enough to allow yourself room to stop in the event somethings on the road be it a stopped car, a kid, a cow or a bunch or people. One of my mates (he was 18) while driving through thick fog plowed into the back of a truck 18 months ago that was doing 1ok's while he was doing 11ok's, 3 other cars ran up his and 2 people ended up dead. For the life of me i cant work out wht anyone would have been doing more than 5ok's if they couldnt see 5o meters down the road. This kid will never look normal, he's had dozens of operations and still looks messed up.
Old 17-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
You may prove to be right as all the facts aren't known, but going on the facts, and bear in mind the police are not looking to charge him, i think he did nothing wrong.
Old 17-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Yeah, I gotta agree that walking out into the middle of traffic is a lot more stupid. Have a look, it wasn't even one of the cars that was racing that caused the carnage.

So maybe before blaming people who were racing you should have a close look and think about who is really stupid here.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #22
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Haha! OK so it wasnt the guys that were racing that hit the people on the hway, who were apparently watching an illegal street race earlier?? Sorry to the people but street racing was blamed before anything. I dont agree with it at all..
There was an article in the paper earlier this week that said that Adelaide may be getting a brand new drag racing complex.. This would prevent a little of this type of thing happening I guess.. Cant wait..
Old 17-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #23
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it was the gathering of people and an uncontrolled vehicle not the street racing that caused the incident?
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #24
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
So it was the gathering of people and an uncontrolled vehicle not the street racing that caused the incident?
Finally, somone with 1/2 a brain.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #25
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

i live not too far from where this ocurred. the location is very close to two very good nhra and ihra sanctioned race tracks which can support cars over 200 mph.

http://www.capitolraceway.com/

http://www.mirdrag.com/

additionally there are other very competent tracks, some on the nhra national event schedule, not too far away.

i think of when i was younger and how we would have a race on a deserted road and leave. these street events around here today aren't like that. "spectators" and heavy bettors show up and make an illegal spectacle of the whole thing. there is no control. nobody is really in charge. i can only blame the stupid idiots involved for their own stupid deaths.

i apologize if i sound callous or not understanding.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

You can have a street race without crowds, or crowd intelligent enough to stay off the road.

If stand on the middle of a road for any reason, your an idiot with no one to blame but yourself.

Street racing didn't kill these people, But just general idiocy.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #27
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

"Currantly"? Your car was injured by a raisan?
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #28
syko4d

as for being a nanny well im not going to comment as i dont need to if the dude had his lights on and he couldnt see thats some serious smoke so you tell me youd drive through it? go on say youd drive through the summernats burnout pad just as gary myers or someone is half way up the track and you cant see a thing?

if it was a little bit of fog or smoke he wouldve seen outlines

you wouldnt because you cant see yes you are both right the idiots are the ones in the middle of the road and yes i do feel sorry for the guy that run them over it would be hard to deal with

either way you two obviously are going to argue bout stupid street racers causing death when they didnt and lets face it accidents happen and you dont need street racers to cause in fact if you really do look at the stats old people cause a lot more crashes then street racers

im not arguing again with you two as you are obviously way to superior to the majority of us that have partakin in street races and so i guess im just not that noble hahahahahahaha
Old 17-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
as for being a nanny well im not going to comment as i dont need to if the dude had his lights on and he couldnt see thats some serious smoke so you tell me youd drive through it? go on say youd drive through the summernats burnout pad just as gary myers or someone is half way up the track and you cant see a thing?

if it was a little bit of fog or smoke he wouldve seen outlines

you wouldnt because you cant see yes you are both right the idiots are the ones in the middle of the road and yes i do feel sorry for the guy that run them over it would be hard to deal with

either way you two obviously are going to argue bout stupid street racers causing death when they didnt and lets face it accidents happen and you dont need street racers to cause in fact if you really do look at the stats old people cause a lot more crashes then street racers

im not arguing again with you two as you are obviously way to superior to the majority of us that have partakin in street races and so i guess im just not that noble hahahahahahaha
There are only idiots from the group of spectators saying he had no lights on. So lets not get carried away as if thats fact.

Would these clowns be on the road if if the street race did not take place? Nope. Funny thing about laws and responsibility, you should make yourself aware of them, you will be held to them even if youre ignorant to them.

There is no evidence there was a burnout pad of smoke, just smoke from a race. If you want to suggest these clowns sat there and did pre-race burnouts in the middle of a highway, well you wont be enhancing their role in the event or effectively shifting blame.

Given its early hours, the suggestion headlights even need to be on suggests even a little smoke would make it impossible to see people standing within said smoke. You can hardly blame a driver who most likely hit the smoke about half a second before he hit his first idiot. Yet in that first post of yours, you tried to. Even went so far as to say the racers were not responsible at all, and the poor 'admirers' were victims of a ruthless law abiding driver what was it, a 'spastic'.
Old 17-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #30
syko4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
There are only idiots from the group of spectators saying he had no lights on. So lets not get carried away as if thats fact.

Would these clowns be on the road if if the street race did not take place? Nope. Funny thing about laws and responsibility, you should make yourself aware of them, you will be held to them even if youre ignorant to them.

There is no evidence there was a burnout pad of smoke, just smoke from a race. If you want to suggest these clowns sat there and did pre-race burnouts in the middle of a highway, well you wont be enhancing their role in the event or effectively shifting blame.

Given its early hours, the suggestion headlights even need to be on suggests even a little smoke would make it impossible to see people standing within said smoke. You can hardly blame a driver who most likely hit the smoke about half a second before he hit his first idiot. Yet in that first post of yours, you tried to. Even went so far as to say the racers were not responsible at all, and the poor 'admirers' were victims of a ruthless law abiding driver what was it, a 'spastic'.
ok first thing first if youre going to argue about something atleast know whats been said about it ok so ill correct you cos im a nice person the police said the race had already been completed and then they did a burnout and apperently thats wen the car hit the people ok

so if the cars were doing a burnout wouldnt the cars get hit there was two of them ?

your just jumping on the old blame the street racer bandwagon well mate the street racers didnt i repeat just for clarity didnt kill anyone

you dont understand be honest mate and stop trying to argue your point wich i and aperently a few other people think is wrong did you see the damage on the car? a person collapsed the roof of the car HE DID NOT SLOW DOWN a person ended up inside the car to wich the coppers thought was a passenger at first cmon mate are you awake think about what the first quesion was ?

then think about how its the street racers fault that people gatherd on the road and then thoroughly read my posts ok cos i really think youre losing the battle here

and yeah a lady did say she seen a white car as it took her father out of her arms she said she didnt see lights on the car what does she have to gain by lying she wasnt racing was she

oh and dont you have a modified car have you never raced on the street?