Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default HWY/Freeway etiquette.

Having spent some time recently commuting distances at 100 and 110kph i can honestly say there are alot of morons on our roads.

Cruise control.. USE IT, or learn to drive at a consistent pace.. nothing worse than sitting on the Hume with cruise set at 112kph and having to pull right to pass a slower car, then being passed by the same damn car that sped up who wizzes by at 120 then proceeds to pull back into the left lane and slow down to 100 5 times because they're unable to hold a constant speed. :

Posted limits.... PAY ATENTION.... no its not fun to share roads with people who sit on 95 or 130 on a freeway with a 110 limit.... the speed differential between cars is not only a pain to navigate through but damn dangerous. :

Merging traffic... SYNCHRONISE..... why hold a car out and try to run them onto the grass when they're just trying to merge from an off ramp? is it too hard to speed up/ slow down or move right to let them in?? : Also merging traffic... try to merge at or close to the posted limit to minimise inconvenience...

Idiots abound our major roads....

Last edited by 4Vman; 26-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Having spent some time recently commuting distances at 100 and 110kph i can honestly say there are alot of morons on our roads.

Cruise control.. USE IT, or learn to drive at a consistent pace.. nothing worse than sitting on the Hume with cruise set on at 112kph and having to pull right to pass a slower car, then being passed by the same damn car that sped up who wizzes by at 120 then proceeds to pull back into the left lane and slow down to 100 5 times because they're unable to hold a constant speed. :

Posted limits.... PAY ATENTION.... no its not fun to share roads with people who sit on 95 or 130 on a freeway with a 110 limit.... the speed differential between cars is not only a pain to navigate through but damn dangerous. :
Serious question, do the majority of cars on our roads have cruise control? Various speeds by certain vehicles isn't something that i've noticed to be honest as I don't do much highway/freeway driving myself, but does it really get annoying?

Quote:
Merging traffic... SYNCHRONISE..... why hold a car out and try to run them onto the grass when they're just trying to merge from an off ramp? is it too hard to speed up/ slow down or move right to let them in?? : Also merging traffic... try to merge at the posted limit...

Good god yes. As stated above I don't do much highway/freeway driving but I cannot stand this when I am. I was told by my parents to always move to the right lane (if possible) to allow merging traffic in. I'm not 100% sure if they have right of way, but it's just common sence in my opinion.

The amount of times ive seen another driver have to rapidly slow down coming off the on ramp is amazing. Then when they manage to duck in behind the car that either wasn't paying attention or couldn't be bothered changing lanes, they are going extremely slow!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6AUS
I cannot stand this when I am. I was told by my parents to always move to the right lane (if possible) to allow merging traffic in. I'm not 100% sure if they have right of way, but it's just common sense in my opinion.
Today I was driving along the Eastern Freeway near Burke Rd, and I was almost coming up to pass a car when they indicated to change lanes. Now I could see they were making room for traffic coming onto the freeway. I ended up making a choice of making a quick check and moving to the right lane to make way for the person making way for someone else. If I didn't I'd have to brake or I'd be inches from their bumper. Don't need to change lanes for merging traffic, just make room for the car slightly ahead. That way they don't need to mess up traffic in the next lane too. Besides, the person entering the freeway should be watching the traffic and positioning themselves to enter in front or behind the nearest car, not running door to door with 50 metres to the end of the merge lane.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Today I was driving along the Eastern Freeway near Burke Rd, and I was almost coming up to pass a car when they indicated to change lanes. Now I could see they were making room for traffic coming onto the freeway. I ended up making a choice of making a quick check and moving to the right lane to make way for the person making way for someone else. If I didn't I'd have to brake or I'd be inches from their bumper. Don't need to change lanes for merging traffic, just make room for the car slightly ahead. That way they don't need to mess up traffic in the next lane too. Besides, the person entering the freeway should be watching the traffic and positioning themselves to enter in front or behind the nearest car, not running door to door with 50 metres to the end of the merge lane.
I agree that if it's going to disrupt the steady flow of traffic in the other lanes, then changing is probably not the best choice to make. Then again you do get people who would prefer to change lanes than slow down if the option is there.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Chilla

Quote:

Cruise control.. USE IT, or learn to drive at a consistant pace.. nothing worse than sitting on the Hume with cruise set on at 112kph and having to pull right to pass a slower car, then being passed by the same damn car that sped up who wizzes by at 120 then proceedes to pull back into the left lane and slow down to 100 5 times because they're unable to hold a constant speed. :

Merging traffic... SYNCHRONISE..... why hold a car out and try to run them onto the grass when they're just trying to merge from an off ramp? is it too hard to speed up/ slow down or move right to let them in?? : Also merging traffic... try to merge at the posted limit...

What you have just written is 100% correct. It is a constant worry and is an action akin to sitting on 75-80kph until reaching overtaking lanes then accelerating to the posted limit as others are attempting to overtake.
Mr. Lay and cohorts should be made very clear about these practises and then explain to us how speed cameras will catch/stop them before they kill or maim someone.
We have highway patrol cars and personal for a reason....lets use them!
Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you dont like those going 120-130 stay out of the right hand lane!

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike XR6
Pretty hard to when you're constantly negotiating slower traffic in the left lane.... and those morons fly up your clacker and tailgate you till you get past the slower cars......:

Old 26-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
g220ba
FGX XR8

i agree with everything you've said so far in this thread 4vman. It really irks me to have to overtake the same car 4-5 times because the driver finds it so hard to maintain a reasonably steady speed.

In regards to cars merging from an on ramp, i've always been taught to merge at or near enough to the posted speed limit of the road i'm merging onto. It is extremely dangerous to merge onto a 100kph road at 70-80 yet some people can't comprehend that.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
In regards to cars merging from an on ramp, i've always been taught to merge at or near enough to the posted speed limit of the road i'm merging onto. It is extremely dangerous to merge onto a 100kph road at 70-80 yet some people can't comprehend that.
How can people comprehend that when the government constantly tells us the faster you go the bigger the chance of death? No one actually thinks about difference in speed of large objects and the damage that it can create if they collide.
Old 27-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike XR6
get stuffed, no one has the right to speed, not in the right hand lane, left hand lane or anywhere. If you don't like being behind someone in the right hand lane that does the limit, then sell your car now and save us all the hassle of your impatience.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
rodderz

Completely agree. Nothing worse than putting your own car on cruise but constantly changing it or turning it off due to a car fluctuating its speed in front. Not all cars have c/control, but they can concentrate on being consistent.

As for merging, just as frustrating. Some stop or try to push in, other block or are oblivious to those trying to merge.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cruise control.. USE IT, or learn to drive at a consistent pace.. nothing worse than sitting on the Hume with cruise set at 112kph and having to pull right to pass a slower car, then being passed by the same damn car that sped up who wizzes by at 120 then proceeds to pull back into the left lane and slow down to 100 5 times because they're unable to hold a constant speed. :

Merging traffic... SYNCHRONISE..... why hold a car out and try to run them onto the grass when they're just trying to merge from an off ramp? is it too hard to speed up/ slow down or move right to let them in?? : Also merging traffic... try to merge at or close to the posted limit to minimise inconvenience...

Welcome to what i deal with 5+ days a week. You get used to it in the end and just becomes routine. However those Mexicans towing caravans are the worst lot of them all, couldnt keep a consistant speed to save their life.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
lubby1

I agree with you 4vman i also do a lot of hwy k's, mainly on the pacific hwy. One of my gripes is when you come up to a truck and the person behind changes lane to the right hand side of the road and then is too scared to actually overtake in fear of being crushed thus leaving the rest of the traffic to sit behind him.

Then you get to the stretches of single lanes and if the speed limit is say 100 you get some wax head sitting on 60 or 70 km annoying all the people behind him. That is where other drivers become frustrated and take unnecesary risks on the road leading to accidents.
It would be great if there were laws against driving too slow and being uncurtios.
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

CC, not all cars have them, some are afraid to use them, and speedo's vary so that does get difficult for some people, but people should try to stay at a constant speed.

Speed limit, people sitting 10 below the limit is gonna get more common when they are worried about getting a ticket. It has nothing to do with safety. Also now in Vic where the highway cars can pass you and if your speeding the car takes a photo and you get a ticket...no more pull you over and actually do something about your speed.

Agree with you but it goes both ways, its just stupid to be getting on the free way at 80kph, but it happens and people need to deal with it and not increase the risk of an accident.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree 110% with you but because of the sad fact that idiots will never change we are the ones that have to adapt :

Oh and you forgot the one about drivers who sit way below the limit who are obviously $h$t scared of police or just plain smart allochs then when you pass them and are either alongside or infront they get a huge burst of energy and want to sit close as to you
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
Kryton

Wait till you hit country roads where there are no overtaking lanes and only 1 or 2 places to overtake 'safely'.
I drive 35km each way to work, luckily it is early in the morning and late at night.
However, those days that i have travel in the day time, your lucky to do 80km for the whole trip.
Even then, its not a constant speed.
I honestly dont understand why it is such a big issue for some (most) people to do 100kmh and stay at that speed.
I dont care if 100kmh on your speedo is actually 95kmh - just do a constant speed.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What i love doing to other drivers, is getting to an overtaking lane (or if its dual lane) then attempting to overtake another truck, as im lucky to be going 1kmh faster then him, and holds up everyone else behind me (serves them right for sitting up my *** and then flying past me and cutting into my braking space)

Edit: overtaking a car in the left hand lane isnt undertaking, undertaking is heading out onto the shoulder/merge lane and getting around someone.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Better throw in the idiots who sit on or just below the limit whilst out in the right lane, I'm starting to notice this more and more on the freeway in Perth.

They just crawl along barely passing the cars in the left lane and when there is an opportunity to move over and let others pass, they don't. They continue to sit out there because they're slowly approaching another car in the left lane and it's obviously easier (for them) to just stay there.

I've had to floor it and undertake them in these tiny gaps a few times, not without sitting back patiently initially waiting for kays on end mind you, it is a last resort move brought on from pure frustration and opportunity.

Maybe I'm too impatient but god it sh$^%s me.

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 26-01-2010 at 06:45 PM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Better throw in the idiots who sit on or just below the limit whilst out in the right lane, I'm starting to notice this more and more on the freeway in Perth.

They just crawl along barely passing the cars in the left lane and when there is an opportunity to move over and let others pass, they don't. They continue to sit out there because they're slowly approaching another car in the left lane and it's obviously easier (for them) to just stay there.

I've had to floor it and undertake them in these tiny gaps a few times, not without sitting back patiently initially waiting for kays on end mind you, it is a last resort move brought on from pure frustration and opportunity.

Maybe I'm too impatient but god it sh$^%s me.
Yeah when I was in Perth I noticed that. Seems just past South street heading towards Manduarh is the worst, suddenly it seems everyone goes from 100 to 85. I was doing 100 in the right lane all the way till south street, then I was at 85 till armadale rd where I got off. This happened 3 times while I was there. Also just as I leave town a black 300C overtakes me at 130kph and speeds off into the distance, well lol at him and his impatience, because 300km on and 2 stops later I overtook him. Just proves that speeding doesn't get you anywhere faster.

Caravans are the worst and people who go around he caravan in a 500m overtaking lane, but don't accelerate to the speed limit. So you either wait, or squeeze in so as not to get stuck.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Yeah when I was in Perth I noticed that. Seems just past South street heading towards Manduarh is the worst, suddenly it seems everyone goes from 100 to 85. I was doing 100 in the right lane all the way till south street, then I was at 85 till armadale rd where I got off. This happened 3 times while I was there. Also just as I leave town a black 300C overtakes me at 130kph and speeds off into the distance, well lol at him and his impatience, because 300km on and 2 stops later I overtook him. Just proves that speeding doesn't get you anywhere faster.

Caravans are the worst and people who go around he caravan in a 500m overtaking lane, but don't accelerate to the speed limit. So you either wait, or squeeze in so as not to get stuck.
Thats because of Roe hwy on ramp heading south get a few trucks coming in on that ramp. slows everything down should be 3 lanes going through there I think.
Look at the tunnel lucky to get through there doing 50 half the time.

I was in Germany a few months back. We should learn from them how to drive on free/hyws. Trucks limited to 100 but cars are free or limit to 130. Every one stays right (left for us) Huge NONO to over take on slow lane side.
If a car comes up behind you when ya pull out to over take a truck they just to next lane ( 3 lanes most of time) then pull back all the way to slow lane so fast lane is all free.

I think there is already a law that ya cant do under 10Kmh of the sign posted speed on freeways in left lane here. Not aloud to do less than 90 in right hand lane. Could be wrong.
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My driving instructor told me not to move over or slow down for the traffic merging in and that they have to give way to me. Funny, because I get conflicting opinions from driving instructor who told me that and Dad who says back off/speed up/move over to let them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
What i love doing to other drivers, is getting to an overtaking lane (or if its dual lane) then attempting to overtake another truck, as im lucky to be going 1kmh faster then him, and holds up everyone else behind me (serves them right for sitting up my *** and then flying past me and cutting into my braking space)

Edit: overtaking a car in the left hand lane isnt undertaking, undertaking is heading out onto the shoulder/merge lane and getting around someone.
I've seen this happen with my bus and another truck, the bus driver wouldn't slow down and the truck was probably only going 1-2km/h faster so he was on the opposite side of the road for a very long time, until our bus driver braked because another car was approaching in the horizon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #22
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
My driving instructor told me not to move over or slow down for the traffic merging in and that they have to give way to me. Funny, because I get conflicting opinions from driving instructor who told me that and Dad who says back off/speed up/move over to let them in.

I've seen this happen with my bus and another truck, the bus driver wouldn't slow down and the truck was probably only going 1-2km/h faster so he was on the opposite side of the road for a very long time, until our bus driver braked because another car was approaching in the horizon.
Its always been the law for as long as i can remember you have to let in merging traffic, its a law that actually makes sense, not only that is just common courtesy.

And yeah ive seen that done as well, i will never do it on a single lane highway, overtaking lanes/dual lane is an exception.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
And people wonder why I think driving instructors are a waste of money. They are only interested in getting you to a standard to pass a test not survive on the road.
FFS I'm not going to let a B-Double run into me just because I'm in the right a little bit of common sense needs to be applied sounds like your dad has the right attitude.
220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cruise control.. USE IT, or learn to drive at a consistent pace.. nothing worse than sitting on the Hume with cruise set at 112kph and having to pull right to pass a slower car, then being passed by the same damn car that sped up who wizzes by at 120 then proceeds to pull back into the left lane and slow down to 100 5 times because they're unable to hold a constant speed.
Well said. But it's this point that annoys the crap out of me the most. If you don't have cruise control, then at least keep a constant speed. I was driving down the Bruce Hiway and overtook, then got overtook by a Peugeot 207 about 207 times. Slow down, speed up. What a ************.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

So ?

Other than cruise control nothing has changed over the last 45 years!
Old 26-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Spot on Norm, I can't stand these clowns that don't know how to drive on a freeway, I swear most of them are city people that only venture out onto the Freeways once in a blue moon, and then kak themselves in the process. One of many things that need to be adressed about the state of our drivers.

I honestly believe that it is the attitude and ability of drivers that is the biggest problem on our roads, not speed and alcohol.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #27
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Another thing while we are talking about staying at a constant speed, I see this often, I usually set my cruise control at 112 klm/h when travelling down the Calder, now I see vehicles comming up behind me from afar obviously gaining, they then when they reach my rear end, they sit there, instead of indicating and passing and moving on, they will sit there and follow for miles,
I'm also sick of setting my cruise at 112 and slowly gaining on another vehicle infront, to pull out and pass them without touching my cruise, only to find that they speed up and I have to either speed up myself or pull back in,
I use my cruise all the time on the hwy and at the speed I mentioned, and it can be annoying at time's with what has been mentioned above.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Another thing while we are talking about staying at a constant speed, I see this often, I usually set my cruise control at 112 klm/h when travelling down the Calder, now I see vehicles comming up behind me from afar obviously gaining, they then when they reach my rear end, they sit there, instead of indicating and passing and moving on, they will sit there and follow for miles,
I'm also sick of setting my cruise at 112 and slowly gaining on another vehicle infront, to pull out and pass them without touching my cruise, only to find that they speed up and I have to either speed up myself or pull back in,
I use my cruise all the time on the hwy and at the speed I mentioned, and it can be annoying at time's with what has been mentioned above.
My theory behind them sitting on your rear end is that they are using you as a shield from roo's/other cars/police its fairly common practice in country areas especially late afternoon/night/dawn.

I do it occasionally (hey if it saves me from hitting a roo its worth it)
Old 26-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #29
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
My theory behind them sitting on your rear end is that they are using you as a shield from roo's/other cars/police its fairly common practice in country areas especially late afternoon/night/dawn.

I've had to do this when my headlights blew out on my XF and had a couple hundred kays to drive at night, trailed a landcruiser the whole way, I thought it was a brilliant idea lol
Old 27-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #30
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sorry man but the shield idea don't work, car infront hits roo and it comes over bonnet, and ends up slamming into your windscreen, dunno about you but I would rather the nose my car hit the roo than have its carcass fly through my windscreen

there are many things that grind me about the behavior of others on the road - many of which have been mentioned but a few havn't so here they are

1. parking if you do not have the skill to put your car in the middle of a parking space at a supermarket or a shopping center even when driving a small car I am sorry to say but you suck

2. people that have zero respect for other cars in a carpark belting other cars with doors, walking into rearview mirrors etc etc. show some respect for other peoples' property no matter what it is

3. pedestrians that seem to think it is their god given right to tell you how to drive from the footpath! and yelling things at you or your car as you drive by them - example kids being idiots on pushbikes right on the edge the road, so I wait for them to realise I am there then begin to drive past and get them scream "IDIOT" at my car?? an idiot would have seen them not given a crap and drove right on through fast not at a crawl like I did

Holden special vehicles - for special people

Last edited by mrbaxr6t; 27-01-2010 at 01:01 AM.
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post