Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre t

"THE Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre they travel in order to pay for roads.

A final report into infrastructure by the Productivity Commission has recommended pilot technical studies of how cars and light vehicles might be charged.

It recommends adopting telematics, which can monitor a vehicle’s location and movements in real time.

“The application of a charging mechanism created by rapidly changing communications technology appears promising,” the report says.

“Importantly, these trials would introduce direct user charges as a substitute for other taxes, such as the fuel excise.”

The report suggests each state and territory hold its own road fund to pay for new roads, upgrades and maintenance.

States and territories would be best placed to decide where money needed to be spent.

Despite Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying in March road-user charging was “unlikely to ever be adopted by any government”, Assistant Infrastructure Minister Jamie Briggs said the Government was considering all aspects of the report.

As if driving around Sydney is not bad enough, now motorists are being slugged even more to sit in traffic jams on our major motorways

Noting the majority of recommendations were relevant to state governments, Mr Briggs said the Government would consult with them before releasing its formal response.

He said issues relating to road-user charging would be considered as part of the Federal Government’s broader reform agenda.

“There are already a number of initiatives on user charging already under way,” Mr Briggs said.

That included consultation with motoring clubs and industry bodies on potential road-user charge models.

The fuel excise is due to rise twice yearly under a Budget proposal, but legislation has not yet passed Parliament."
http://www.news.com.au/national/vict...-1226988912045

Old 15-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre t

I'd prefer that instead of a flat fee for rego, then I won't have to pay $700 for a car that gets used maybe once or twice a week. If it's on top of rego then that would suck.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre t

Don't they already do this anyway - via fuel taxes etc...
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Don't they already do this anyway - via fuel taxes etc...
Exactly! The government already reaps a huge amount of money from fuel sold which is supposed to be used on roads. This is just blatant double dipping.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
I'd prefer that instead of a flat fee for rego, then I won't have to pay $700 for a car that gets used maybe once or twice a week. If it's on top of rego then that would suck.
Agree, though here in Vic (i am sure it is the same in other states), the majority of the rego is the TAC insurance premium. I cannot see them lowering that.
Old 15-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that's it I am out if that comes in, I would go broke as it would not be worth going to work.

It's a great con job !
The gov looks after all the good for nothings and others that are not even our citizens.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Agree, though here in Vic (i am sure it is the same in other states), the majority of the rego is the TAC insurance premium. I cannot see them lowering that.
That's another thing, why should an individual have to pay more then one TAC cover for themself?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Wish it was true but your Rego fees will remain since it is State government controlled, this is another Federal Government rip off fee.

Don't you luv the rotten sods!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You know what will happen if they bring this crap in, they will really just be setting us up to shaft us some more, these bastards don't give away freebies, they keep you busy shaking your hand and smiling at you while they pick your pocket and drain your credit card and visit the pub with what little cash you had in the wallet.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
You know what will happen if they bring this crap in, they will really just be setting us up to shaft us some more, these bastards don't give away freebies, they keep you busy shaking your hand and smiling at you while they pick your pocket and drain your credit card and visit the pub with what little cash you had in the wallet.
Tell me about it, just spent 1800 on private health insurance to get 900 off an operation lol. I'm pretty much single with no dependents, I honestly don't know how you guys stay in front with family's and all the rest without being on over 100k a year. Sometimes it just seems it would be easier to give up working and start getting all the handouts and concessions instead.

2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
It recommends adopting telematics, which can monitor a vehicle’s location and movements in real time.
I can see this being exploited eventually.

"Here's your bill for driving last night. Oh and a $300 fine for taking too long to slow down in that 40 kay workzone. See you in court on the 12th."

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Building a road or highway right the first time would save them $$$
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Building a road or highway right the first time would save them $$$
Thats called forward thinking, govco doesn't do such things , they use the screw them, we will just invent more taxes later system.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Nova 8

Constant tracking in my car... Sounds like a breach of my basic human rights and they can sod off with that crap.
Old 15-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Might be worth me having more cars again lol.

I can't see rego coming down, it will probably be the standard rego cost in Victoria which is like mid $600 something, + extra depending on KM.

If thee Government wants they will already know exactly where you are because of your phone in your pocket, especially with Victoria Police all of a sudden requesting tower "dumps" from phone towers, it'll show all the calls/duration/people and where they were when they made calls rather than just targeting one particular person they are after.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-07-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Yeah, I can't see in any way this would benefit, especially if they want to 'track' you. Thats just a blatant breach of privacy right there and as someone said earlier its mostly TAC than rego...

This country is really going down the drain in regards to road rules I swear who ever comes up with this has never stepped foot in any vehicle whatsoever....

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
max_torq
From the Futura

Maybe the person who thought this up claims the mileage as a tax deduction, so a device would be easier than a pesky log-book.
Old 15-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the "conservative" Liberal party? I would have expected this from Labor.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
This is the "conservative" Liberal party? I would have expected this from Labor.
The conservative side of government is pro user pay and simplified cost to recover this cost.
left side of government would demand that you live next door to your work place at the job provided for you.

This all sounds like trouble making-car Rego are state controlled.
Heavy vehicle rego is nation controlled and tracking has already been recommended over and over again.

NZ you buy road tax distance at the post office. lot better to remove all the B/S taxes for road works

P/S
Whats with Victorians and tracking-Local work sites often stop around here because a Victorian contractors arrive and demand that they are not accountable for dodgy work. Do they not understand that the rest of Australia knows where Victoria is.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
NZ you buy road tax distance at the post office. lot better to remove all the B/S taxes for road works
That only for diesel cars. In Oz diesel has about 15c/l extra tax then petrol.
Old 15-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would probably have started under Labour, its just taken so many years to produce the report..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But "conservative" parties aren't usually known for anti conservative measures responsible for putting our nation in the current deficit. If it wasn't for howard we would be in surplus today.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1226641523508

There's the real world and then there's the world of Rupert Murdoch.
Old 15-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #23
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah why not, i still have some money left over from my pay after paying all the taxes and levy's imposed on me. they may as well have the rest of my pay too to pay for what is essentially a toll (tax)
retirement in this country may not be an option soon.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When I was in NZ in 2011, I was on a bus talking to a bus driver taking us around, and I mentioned that diesel was so cheap compared to Australia, it was like $1.36/L or something for diesel and 91 was $1.95/L.

Bus driver was saying they had all these extra taxes on diesel vehicles they had to pay..

Why is 91 so expensive over in NZ?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #25
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
When I was in NZ in 2011, I was on a bus talking to a bus driver taking us around, and I mentioned that diesel was so cheap compared to Australia, it was like $1.36/L or something for diesel and 91 was $1.95/L.

Bus driver was saying they had all these extra taxes on diesel vehicles they had to pay..

Why is 91 so expensive over in NZ?
Diesel is currently $1.48/l while 91 is 2.23. Diesel road user charges is $58 per 1000km for cars/4wds. From memory this is so the marine and agricultural industry don't have to pay road tax when they buy diesel.
I've recently bought an E46 320d which is good for 5.5-5.6 l/100km open road (better on all flat roads). Ad in road user charges and it is only about $20 cheaper per 1000km than a petrol 316/318i. Factor in higher diesel R&M costs and diesel passenger cars are false economy. The way I'm getting around this... Buying a used instrument cluster that already has mileage matched to what I've paid for ;)

Last edited by smoo; 15-07-2014 at 04:58 PM.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #26
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Charge per km is okay. But don't restrict how fast those kms are consumed on the open road and I'm all for it. Open road speed limits are just a tax on time and time is money... dreaming of the day I can make melb to sydney in 4 hours by car and not have to put up with taxis, airport security and queus which takes up 4 hours + anyway.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #27
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol I can imagine the shortest routes all being chockas to save a few cents whilst doubling/tripling travel time. People will spend their night in traffic to save 50 cents and be happy about it.

Should just get people under 35 and over 65 to pull the masses around on rickshaws. That way the roads will have exponentially more longevity, require less maintenance and will have no congestion for the miners and commercial vehicles such as trucks, tractors etc.
Old 15-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brb moving to canada
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #29
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut View Post
Brb moving to canada
Canada isn't Canada anymore :(
Old 15-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #30
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So those of us who choose to live in the country are ****** over once again. :(
How about a congestion tax to free the cities up so they won't have to spend mega zillions there?
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: