Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Default Local Holden Cruze delayed...

Just noticed this story on the goauto site.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576A9002BA12A

Quote:
Originally Posted by goauto
Cruze sedan, hatch split launch ‘too hard’, says Holden chief

12 January 2010

By JAMES STANFORD in Detroit

HOLDEN has confirmed it will not introduce its all-important locally produced Cruze small car this year as planned, pushing back the launch by six months.

The company had originally planned to introduce the sedan in the third quarter of 2010, but said it always planned to introduce the hatch next March.

Now Holden has admitted that both vehicles will not hit showrooms until next March.

GM Holden chairman and managing director Alan Batey told GoAuto that it was just too hard to launch the local sedan before the hatch.

“We would have to run out the imported car and introduce the new one, then we would have Christmas, so we train people up and then we go on holiday then they come back and we have these things going on,” Mr Batey said.

“We thought, this just doesn’t make sense; let’s train the people up, let’s get Christmas out of the way, get them back and close the gap between the four (door) and the five (door).”

When asked why the decision to release both cars at the same time wasn’t made earlier, Mr Batey indicated other factors influenced the decision.

“The car went off better than we expected, so we are outselling our forecast. And secondly we have other programs, such as the (export) police car program coming, so for engineering resources we have other things we are trying to do.”

It is unclear if the Australian Cruze models will feature the basic torsion beam rear suspension of the South Korean sedan currently on sale or be upgraded with the more complex Watts Z-link rear suspension that is standard on the US production version of the car.

Asked if the Australian car would get the premium rear suspension, Mr Batey said: “It is a possibility, but we haven’t actually announced what we are going to do with that.”

Mr Batey did not reveal whether a decision had been made and said Holden could decide quite late which way it would head, because the Cruze was a “plug-and-play” design which made for easy component switch-over. Both suspension units would be imported.

The deciding factor is likely to be cost and whether customers of such a vehicle are willing to pay more for better ride and handling. Mr Batey seems unconvinced this is the case.

“It (the Watts Z-link) is more expensive, but it isn’t just about cost but about customer value. What does the customer get from it? Does he understand what he is getting from it?” he said.

“I wouldn’t jump to a conclusion that we will definitely do it.”

Mr Batey confirmed a 1.4 turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine would be added to Cruze range soon after the March launch.

He added that the premium engine, which produces 103kW 200Nm in US form, would be sold alongside the naturally aspirated 1.8-litre petrol four-cylinder currently available in the imported Cruze (104kW/176Nm).

Mr Batey confirmed that the Australian-produced Cruze would contain 70 per cent imported components.

The remaining 30 per cent of locally made components such as the body panels, bumpers and fuel tank.

The local content would hopefully increase in time, said Mr Batey, but only if it made financial sense.

“We would like to localise as much of the car as possible because you get quicker response times and much more flexibility, but it all has to stack up,” he said.

Strong global demand for the Cruze could open up the opportunity for Holden to export some of its production. Mr Batey met with newly installed General Motors international operations president Tim Lee in Detroit to discuss the opportunity and will now put together a business case.

He told GoAuto that it was too early to discuss the detail of the plan when asked about which markets the Australian Cruze could be sent to.

“If we were to do it quickly we would need right-hand drive, so the UK is natural market, South Africa is another one, Thailand is a potential market with a free-trade agreement, but that discussion (with Mr Lee) only happened this morning. It is too early to say whether we will do an export program on Cruze,” Mr Batey said.

Then there is the prospect of left-hand drive exports.

“We haven’t even looked at the possibility right now,” Mr Batey said.

“If the demand continues the way it is, we will do a desktop study of what it would cost to install capacity (for left-hand-drive) and whether it would make sense.”
With all the hoopla surrounding the Falcon platform and Ford Aus viability, i expect this story to get buried in the motoring, yet alone, mainstream press. Upshots of this are what we all knew.
-The cruze will not be here this year.
-car is 70% imported. Holden claims local content coud lift...i doubt that...
- the torsion beam suspension may be retained....the more expensive indepent rear end may not be worth it because the customer may not see the advantage

Just thought i'd bring this to everyone attention....apologies if it is a repost.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Maybe they'll keep pushing it back and then not build it at all. Seeing as its probably gonna be to expensive to build in Australia.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

30% local content only ?

I'm struggling to understand how they are getting state and federal funding for this .....

FoA canned Focus as they couldn't get the content up to the required cut-off for funding (so it would work - or breakeven).

Go figure ..............
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
30% local content only ?
I think it comes down to the marketing. While 70% of the car imported, the parts probabbly come in a container from OS, get delivered to holdens and they build the car on the assembly line. So I guess in away, it is built in Australia, just not all are locally sourced parts.

I'm not sure how it works.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think it comes down to the marketing. While 70% of the car imported, the parts probabbly come in a container from OS, get delivered to holdens and they build the car on the assembly line. So I guess in away, it is built in Australia, just not all are locally sourced parts.

I'm not sure how it works.
I know...

My point is : Ford were told that they needed 60 % local content to get the Govenment grant. How do Holden get away with 30 % ?
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I know...

My point is : Ford were told that they needed 60 % local content to get the Govenment grant. How do Holden get away with 30 % ?
they lied..... not the first time that mob have told a fib and it wont' be the last. Oh but mr rudd, the local suppliers screwed us, we had to increase the foreign content....but it will still save australian jobs. Its an election year you know....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

You mean Jez Spinks hasn't led with this story today, with headlines of a delay to local Cruze or that it will only have 30% local content? Or would his words make these things sound positive?

Lukeyson
Old 13-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

As I had said in a previous post Government motors is not allowed to let any money out of the states while under Chapter 11, so Holden will have to go it alone with what funds it has here, before the GFC GM earmarked 450 million to be set aside for Cruze, I am pretty sure Holden did not get it, that is why it is now more likely another import, assembly plant venture.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And sometime later this year I expect an announcement to the effect that Cruze will not be built here at all.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
As I had said in a previous post Government motors is not allowed to let any money out of the states while under Chapter 11, so Holden will have to go it alone with what funds it has here, before the GFC GM earmarked 450 million to be set aside for Cruze, I am pretty sure Holden did not get it, that is why it is now more likely another import, assembly plant venture.
Ding Ding, everybody look here!
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
GMHolden have no money, and the conditions from the US Government were that none of the $60Billion USD given to GM was to go overseas to keep their operations going.

Lest we also not forget, the SECRET $200M AUD loan that the Australian Government gave to GMHolden last year too. That information only came out during question time in parliament. Again. Largely overlooked by the Australian media.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
GMHolden have no money, and the conditions from the US Government were that none of the $60Billion USD given to GM was to go overseas to keep their operations going.

Lest we also not forget, the SECRET $200M AUD loan that the Australian Government gave to GMHolden last year too. That information only came out during question time in parliament. Again. Largely overlooked by the Australian media.
I thought that they spent some of that buying 888 & others, two hundred million dollars does not go very far today.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm a day after the new Focus is released, the Cruze is delayed by 6 months. Perhaps a much-needed facelift will be on the cards for when local production starts.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Hmmm a day after the new Focus is released, the Cruze is delayed by 6 months. Perhaps a much-needed facelift will be on the cards for when local production starts.
This delay has been known about by Holden employees for 2 months so it has nothing to do with the Focus release or needing a facelift, just coincidence.

If anything they have mentioned it now as most of the motoring public who care are reeling from the Falcon story. This will quickly be forgotten if it even raises an eyebrow amongst most.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
This delay has been known about by Holden employees for 2 months so it has nothing to do with the Focus release or needing a facelift, just coincidence.

If anything they have mentioned it now as most of the motoring public who care are reeling from the Falcon story. This will quickly be forgotten if it even raises an eyebrow amongst most.

Yeah it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment about the Focus. A great time to announce somewhat negative news with the Falcon getting all the attention.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
The Snout

By the time it's done, all Holden will do is slap on a set of Super Cheap Auto seat covers and bang on how it's Australian Made and Styled.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #17
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

GMH... the shane warne (spinner) of the motoring industry
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Just noticed this story on the goauto site.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576A9002BA12A

With all the hoopla surrounding the Falcon platform and Ford Aus viability, i expect this story to get buried in the motoring, yet alone, mainstream press. Upshots of this are what we all knew.
-The cruze will not be here this year.
-car is 70% imported. Holden claims local content coud lift...i doubt that...
- the torsion beam suspension may be retained....the more expensive indepent rear end may not be worth it because the customer may not see the advantage

Just thought i'd bring this to everyone attention....apologies if it is a repost.
Great post as usual Swordy. The thread title, Local Holden Cruze delayed, should've been the Go-Auto and every other media title.

But, no, General Motors Holden, waited until Ford was ambushed by Jez Spinks and co. Heck, maybe they helped pay for Jez Spinks' airfare over there?

The way I see it, Ford, in the overall scheme of things have given General Motors Holden a great big sucker punch with this debacle.

Ford announced they'd make the Focus in Australia. GMH said no it couldn't be done. The Federal Government waved a few hundred million in their faces and they said, yep we can make Cruze. Now for the second or third time, they've delayed the 'launch'. If it does get made locally (i doubt it will) and if it did keep selling pretty well, this could be a massive loss-maker for GMH.

Just seems no-one in the media wants to kick GMH in the nuts. Not how they treat Ford.

PS Agreed. GMH being broke, meant no money spent on this last year.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cruze exists because the federal and sa state governments gave holden 170 million dollars. Think about this for a moment. 170 million for a car which already had the R&D done. Only work to do is really fit out the factory, tool and R&D the "unique" hatch version. 30% is local, rest is in imported boxes, from countries which make stuff cheap (china). If you're only making 30% locally theres not much to tool up for.

Now you don't have the be blind freddy to realise that the cost to get cruze to market for Holden is about 2/5 of SFA. R&D is effectively paid for by the taxpayer, theres no issues with local content - so its just slap em together and sell them to government fleets and idiots. Much the same really.

Cruze would have to go down as one of the biggest rorts of all time. It will make Holden money as they dont have much setup cost to amortise across the units they sell. So the big issues regarding margin are taken care of because what you have to buy in is cheap, and you didn't spend anything developing it.

Ford was never able to make focus numbers add up, simply because Focus didn't have the big bucket of funding thrown at it. Cruze did, simply because it shares archetecture with volt and the silly pollies put 2 and 2 togther and got 6. The promise of the 14t in cruze got it the green car funding.

So given those rules, Ford went for a 4 cyl in the Falcon which made it eligible.

Holden will make all sorts of grandiose staements about cruze, mainly about export of the hatch but it will amount to SFA because of the AUD.

This stuff just makes me mad.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
Cruze exists because the federal and sa state governments gave holden 170 million dollars. Think about this for a moment. 170 million for a car which already had the R&D done. Only work to do is really fit out the factory, tool and R&D the "unique" hatch version. 30% is local, rest is in imported boxes, from countries which make stuff cheap (china). If you're only making 30% locally theres not much to tool up for.

Now you don't have the be blind freddy to realise that the cost to get cruze to market for Holden is about 2/5 of SFA. R&D is effectively paid for by the taxpayer, theres no issues with local content - so its just slap em together and sell them to government fleets and idiots. Much the same really.

Cruze would have to go down as one of the biggest rorts of all time. It will make Holden money as they dont have much setup cost to amortise across the units they sell. So the big issues regarding margin are taken care of because what you have to buy in is cheap, and you didn't spend anything developing it.

Ford was never able to make focus numbers add up, simply because Focus didn't have the big bucket of funding thrown at it. Cruze did, simply because it shares archetecture with volt and the silly pollies put 2 and 2 togther and got 6. The promise of the 14t in cruze got it the green car funding.

So given those rules, Ford went for a 4 cyl in the Falcon which made it eligible.

Holden will make all sorts of grandiose staements about cruze, mainly about export of the hatch but it will amount to SFA because of the AUD.

This stuff just makes me mad.
Excellent post. Well done, and I couldn't agree more.
Holden are a drain on the public purse, and the media champion them for it. Ford turn a profit, and the meeeja turns on them. Good little comrades aren't we?

Quote: