Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Dealers advertising on Carsales

Does anybody else get sick of reading the same dealer spiel when looking at Carsales? Don't know if it just me or not but I am more interested in reading about what the car has instead of how long the dealer has been in business. It seems to be the same old spiel on every vehicle I look at.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealers advertising on Carsales

at least you know which dealer it is from the spiel

but yeah, given they are paid to sell cars you think a bit more creativity wouldn't go astray
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't stand them. A1 CONDITION JUST BEEN SERVICED ONE OWNER. WE ARE A FAMILY BUSINESS TRADING FOR 15 YEARS COME IN AND SDE OUR RANGE TODAY.

they never say where they are located though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Can't stand them. A1 CONDITION JUST BEEN SERVICED ONE OWNER. WE ARE A FAMILY BUSINESS TRADING FOR 15 YEARS COME IN AND SDE OUR RANGE TODAY.

they never say where they are located though.
Yep that's the sort of stuff I am sick of reading. Tells me nothing about the car and just means I am going to hear it all again when they call me back.

Between them and the scammers Carsales is getting less and less useful.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yep that's the sort of stuff I am sick of reading. Tells me nothing about the car and just means I am going to hear it all again when they call me back.

Carsales has teams of performance mangers nationwide that work with dealers on this kind of thing everyday. You think their not telling dealers exactly the same thing. You have to remember, car dealers are far from marketing geniuses.....their car dealers! They do exactly the same thing on other sites too.

As for the scammers, Carsales spends millions of dollars on mitigating them to protect its advertisers, dealers and visitors with such things as.
- Click to dial
- SMS number verification ( you have a code sent to you via SMS before seeing the sellers number)
- extended customer support team hours
- privacy protect
- site take downs
- ad proofing

These things don't come cheap.

There are alternatives to Carsales but remember - you get what you pay for!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not to mention how much it now costs to list a car privately, recently checked and I think the basic ad was 65 or 70. I had finally convinced myself to sell my car but when I saw the price I lost interest. When I used it about 4 years ago it was only 20 bucks, surely the costs of running the site havnt gone up that much
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
a-total-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
Not to mention how much it now costs to list a car privately, recently checked and I think the basic ad was 65 or 70. I had finally convinced myself to sell my car but when I saw the price I lost interest. When I used it about 4 years ago it was only 20 bucks, surely the costs of running the site havnt gone up that much
The Basic ad is $60. Allows up to 15 photos. When I listed a car last month, I made sure I used all 15. No idea why people don't use all 15.

As for the cost, I think that it was worth it, mainly due to the make/model of the car I was selling (SSS Pulsar).

I had also listed the car on gumtree - that was a BAD move... all that happens is you get slammed by scammers so in that aspect paying for carsales may be better than the other (free) alternatives. There is only so much you can to to filter the crap out. I was using a second phone and was not planning to give my details out unless I called the buyer back (meaning I had their details).

I listed the car at 10pm on a Thursday. Received my first legitimate enquiry on Sunday Morning. That person came about 2 hours later, looked at the car and left a deposit.
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They don't say where they are located cause carsales don't allow it. They get paid for the click through traffic, providing the lead to the dealer

So if you have been looking for a little while you learn which dealer says what so if they have your preferred configuration car you know where to go and look at it. Pretty sure that's why the dealers do it
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
They don't say where they are located cause carsales don't allow it. They get paid for the click through traffic, providing the lead to the dealer

So if you have been looking for a little while you learn which dealer says what so if they have your preferred configuration car you know where to go and look at it. Pretty sure that's why the dealers do it
Carsales has even removed the LMCT # off there listings now too.

Alot of dealers take photo's with there Phone # on there building in the background.

Carsales charges a fortune every time someone uses the site to call.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES

Alot of dealers take photo's with there Phone # on there building in the background.
yep that or have the caryards sign in the background, then its just a google search to find out.

ive heard the caryards get fair rorted by carsales for the ads.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

LMCT # is always present, if there is no number it's a private ad, or not a Victorian dealer.

As for them charging for leads, define " A fortune" big deal is that what some dealer has told you? as a buyer hows that effect you?

Carsales charges dealers nothing to actually place the ad, Dealers pay montly fees to advertise and this provides them with countless selling and marketing tools, access to professional photograpers and market information and statistics.

The amount of ads dealers place, this model is cheaper for them in the long run, if they cannot respond to a lead and turn it into a sale then there's something they are doing wrong, buyers don't submit leads for fun.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
LMCT # is always present, if there is no number it's a private ad, or not a Victorian dealer.

As for them charging for leads, define " A fortune" big deal is that what some dealer has told you? as a buyer hows that effect you?

Carsales charges dealers nothing to actually place the ad, Dealers pay montly fees to advertise and this provides them with countless selling and marketing tools, access to professional photograpers and market information and statistics.

The amount of ads dealers place, this model is cheaper for them in the long run, if they cannot respond to a lead and turn it into a sale then there's something they are doing wrong, buyers don't submit leads for fun.
Sometimes klms are missing and that cheeses me off it should be compulsory. Not every lead is a sale no matter how good a salesperson. I like to know where the yard is so I will often seek it out. Sometimes they only put in Sydney or Brisbane or Melbourne in the add. Very frustrating.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:

do you work for carsales?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
do you work for carsales?
my thoughts exactly!

Im not against dealers or Carsales trying to make money but I dont see the point in giving information that has nothing to do with the car. I dont care about how awesome the dealership is, Id be much more inclined to call a dealer that has offered as much info as possible about the car instead of about who they are and what the yard owner's daughters name is.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i went to look at a car i found on car sales, i found it without using the carsales contact, i asked the salesman how much it cost every time someone rings up through car sales, he said it about $40.00, that would surely **** you off as a dealer when tyre kickers ring up and have no intention of buying.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

The Dealer gets charged $30 for every enquiry sent on a vehicle, yes I know this 100%, no I don't work for carsales.

But I get where you are coming from. When I was looking for a good 12 months for a toy everyday, it got real old! No info on the car, just info about finance/warranty and years of service. Although my Uncles (who own car yards) don't do that, they just have info about the car with a poster with the yard name and phone number on the fence behind the car.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
The Dealer gets charged $30 for every enquiry sent on a vehicle, yes I know this 100%, no I don't work for carsales.
The dealer I bought my XR50 from told me they had to pay $50 per enquiry?

I paid $60 to list my old WRX on carsales. I used it and free forums to sell the car. I used carsales as it was wide spread and you could leave it listed until the day it sells.

I used carsales when I was trying to buy my car (was still decideing whether to buy new or second hand). I tried other sites as well but they didn't have as many cars listed plus there were always errors in the ads so I then used carsales only.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as I said earlier the Dealers put that stuff so they can (in some instances) avoid having to pay a lead referal fee for

"hi, where are you guys located?"

And as for thinking $65 is expensive for the listing, whats the alternative? Parking it on the nature strip?

Do you know the visitor numbers for carsales GTPilot? I bet it's massive.
Good value IMO
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
as I said earlier the Dealers put that stuff so they can (in some instances) avoid having to pay a lead referal fee for

"hi, where are you guys located?"

And as for thinking $65 is expensive for the listing, whats the alternative? Parking it on the nature strip?

Do you know the visitor numbers for carsales GTPilot? I bet it's massive.
Good value IMO
Put it this way, last I heard, Their mobile app sees more visitors than carsguide and drive's desktop sites put together as for Trading post, Trading who?

Carsales offers free ad's via their quicksales site for those interested.

Last time I looked, carsguide don't offer dealer info either?

Quote:
I only use Carsales, guess its just a habit thing.
Sums it up really!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Car sales has the app for the iPad, and I use that for research/day dreaming. On the computer would be the same thing I'd guess.

I hate the photos of rear lights at an angle. Or anything taken at an angle by dealers, many times they are that hopeless at photography, you can see the reflection in the car.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate having to email the dealer only to find out in the auto conformation email that they are located halfway across the state. I automatically lose interest in that car, but still have to wait for them to ring me up like they always do. I'd rather just know where the dealerships are located straight away so I don't have to annoy the dealers for no reason.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I hate having to email the dealer only to find out in the auto conformation email that they are located halfway across the state. I automatically lose interest in that car, but still have to wait for them to ring me up like they always do. I'd rather just know where the dealerships are located straight away so I don't have to annoy the dealers for no reason.
Thats a poor excuse, Try using the location feature when you search. Put your post code in and select a distance 10,25,50,100 km etc. then dealers half way across the state won't come up.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats a poor excuse, Try using the location feature when you search. Put your post code in and select a distance 10,25,50,100 km etc. then dealers half way across the state won't come up.
Yeah I can find dealers close to me doing that. But I still don't know what car is at what dealership, so I cant just rock up there when I get a chance.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #24
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha i stupidly bored one day and sent an email to a dealer that stated their falcon was a "V6"
just something polite about it being not a V6.

i then received a very abusive phone call back, and one of his comments was regarding the cost.... Made my day interesting.

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LMCT # has been omitted recently and when I was looking it's easy enough to look up in government websites to see who they are. I know most of the Victorian Ford ones so I knew which dealer it would be at without consulting carsales.
The lack of this number will now initiate more contact through carsales , costing the dealers more( carsales are'nt silly ) and when prospective buyers find out how far away some cars are they wont even bother. .
GTpilot look up Victorian FPVs and see how many LMCT numbers you can find at the bottom of their ads if you are so sure they are there. I know the dealers that some are at on no number.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #26
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
LMCT # has been omitted recently and when I was looking it's easy enough to look up in government websites to see who they are. I know most of the Victorian Ford ones so I knew which dealer it would be at without consulting carsales.
The lack of this number will now initiate more contact through carsales , costing the dealers more( carsales are'nt silly ) and when prospective buyers find out how far away some cars are they wont even bother. .
GTpilot look up Victorian FPVs and see how many LMCT numbers you can find at the bottom of their ads if you are so sure they are there. I know the dealers that some are at on no number.
GT450

gurantee you LMCT is there, on all of them - it's the law.
hint - look at the foot
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #27
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
gurantee you LMCT is there, on all of them - it's the law.
hint - look at the foot
Right you are, I thought they were gone too.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I trawl carsales dealer ads all the time, looking for the prospective next car,
and the first piece of information I want every time is the LOCATION of the
vehicle. Obviously, the omission of this vital piece of information for dealer
ads is a sure-fire method for carsales to cash in ! $30 or whatever... what a %^&*** rort!

As far as the dealer location goes, one can often find it by a google search
of the motor traders licence number. I've now got a bit of a list going with
a bunch of dealer numbers and their locations..... If, however, I need to send
an inquiry via the online form, so what if it costs the dealer ?? They signed up
for it using this advertising method.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #29
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location Victoria just doesn't cut it does it? especially when you have already asked for it in your primary search. I would hazard a guess the LMCT has been omitted because ,like others, I look for the dealers in my area and know their numbers or search their origin, now the dealer is out ?? dollars for those that call or email the carsales numbers.
Works for carsales but I bet the dealers had no say in it.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
Location Victoria just doesn't cut it does it? especially when you have already asked for it in your primary search. I would hazard a guess the LMCT has been omitted because ,like others, I look for the dealers in my area and know their numbers or search their origin, now the dealer is out ?? dollars for those that call or email the carsales numbers.
Works for carsales but I bet the dealers had no say in it.
GT450
As I said before, that is no excuse. If you want to look for dealers in your area, thats easy, limit your search to a 10k radius of your postcode. that is why that search function is there.