Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Default Holden - Getting Nervous, Go Drive

Stumbled Across this! Go Drive - they're sticking it to Holden's PR team!!

Quote:
Holden has "trained" its dealers how to cope with difficult questions on the shock result of Drive's exclusive fuel test that showed the much-hyped new 3.0-litre Commodore is thirstier than its Falcon rival.
Holden has "trained" its dealers how to cope with difficult questions on the shock result of Drive's exclusive fuel test that showed the much-hyped new 3.0-litre Commodore is thirstier than its Falcon rival.

The company has sent a dealer bulletin with notes on how to answer questions surrounding the results of the most comprehensive independent fuel test between the two large-car rivals, which involved driving for 1000 kilometres around Bathurst's Mount Panorama race track at or below the 60km/h speed limit to simulate city driving.

It showed the Commodore was 10 per cent thirstier than its Ford rival, despite its windscreen fuel label claiming it is 8 per cent more frugal.

The dealer bulletin was preceded by an email to journalists in which the Drive test was described as “extreme” and Mount Panorama's 174-metre climb likened to mountains in Switzerland.

"We don't think your Bathurst test gave a true indication of real-world driving conditions,” spokesman Scott Whiffin said. “That's what we're telling our dealers, our customers, our people.”

Yet Holden later issued a press release spruiking the efficiency of its 3.0-litre Commodore based on the controversial Global Green Challenge, a 3000-kilometre fuel test between Darwin and Adelaide.

It failed to mention the extremities of the testing, which involved driving through the desert at up to 60km/h below the 130km/h Northern Territory speed limit in 40-degree heat without the air-conditioning in use.

Unlike the exclusive Drive test, the Global Green Challenge — won by the thirstiest car in the field, a V8-powered HSV Maloo — was arguably as far from real-world driving as you could get.

Holden admitted that it was “an extreme event”. “We thought it was pretty obvious this event was not simulating real world conditions ... it was an out-and-out fuel economy run, may the best car win,” the company said.

Holden also failed to point out that the Falcon it beat by just 0.6L/100km was the high-performance turbocharged version that accelerates faster than Holden's 6.0-litre V8.
http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-ne...1106-i0w6.html

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Well bugger me.

LOL..bloody Holden, "our people"

I cant believe that green challenge turned into such a farce, it had promise. The maloo didn't use the least fuel but it wins?..WTF.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Good article, I found the Bathurst test more relevant than the so-far-out-of-reality "eco" challenge.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'm starting to sense a real shift in the media towards Holden bashing.

I'm loving it!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

I'm loving it!
Same...it only takes one to start.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

I'm loving it!
Music to the ears aint it.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol..ya gotta wonder who's coming up with this rubbish.

Anyone would think the Commy was running up and down the hill all day whilst the Falcon did laps of the pit area...
Wouldn't the 170m climb be off set with the 170m decline on the other side?

Fact is, over 1000k's of equal conditions the Falcon kills it and has way more torque.

I still cant believe anyone would buy these lemons when the Falcon is a far superior offering.
If you were buying a LCD TV you wouldn't buy an inferior product for the same money as a top shelf unit, so why spend $30+k on an inferior car!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
DeKay1989
gone but not forgotten

hahaha best news all day
SS Growler with Augner upper snorkel, 2.5" redback catback, Pacemaker 4490's, magnaflow 2.5inch Hiflo Cat, BF tail lights, lowered on Kingspring SL/SL with Monreo GTsport low front and rear shocks, tinted
My build thread | bseries.com.au
Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Remember that Holden laid off some 200 of it's Sales and Marketting team recently.

It's only a misfire, the juggernaut is not stalling yet. Remember that Josh Dowling was actually in the Holden during the Eco challenger. Is he still on the drive books or has he been ousted?

But yes, it is rare to see Drive say negative things about Holden.

Lukeyson
Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well - that's got to set the cat amongst the pidgeons. Following reading all the market bs in the last couple of well known car magazines, spruiking the all new frugal lion product - this article finally confirms what most people in the know already are starting to work out.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I found these comments under the nominations for this years Drive Large Car of the Year. I don't know if I like the Commodores chances:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive
The updated Commodore might look no different but it houses arguably the biggest change to a locally made large car in decades. Its V6 engine has shrunk in size to just 3.0 litres but it gets more power and claimed economy gains of up to 12 per cent.

Combined with a six-speed transmission, the recently updated Commodore answers the concerns judges had last year and remains a strong package.

While the Falcon has changed little over the past 12 months, the fact it beat the Commodore in a recent Drive fuel-economy challenge earned it dispensation into the 2009 field.

The Falcon is surprisingly frugal for its size and the combination of a torque-laden six-cylinder and slick (optional) six-speed auto transmission makes for a rewarding drive. The Falcon steers and handles impressively, without sacrificing comfort. Inside, there's plenty of room, although still no curtain airbags for rear passengers, something we've begged Ford to fix.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...5&vf=7&IsPgd=0
Old 10-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Carby

DRIVE are hypocrites - their Bathurst test is no more ludicrous than the ECO challenge. They went to Bathurst fully knowing the Falcon would win (it is a renowned torque circuit afterall) and now because the V8 Maloo has beaten it's ADR figure by more than any other they do not accept this - can't have it both ways DRIVE............
Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
DRIVE are hypocrites - their Bathurst test is no more ludicrous than the ECO challenge. They went to Bathurst fully knowing the Falcon would win (it is a renowned torque circuit afterall) and now because the V8 Maloo has beaten it's ADR figure by more than any other they do not accept this - can't have it both ways DRIVE............
What? The test was on a circuit that is a road, its a complete mix of different grades etc so whats the problem? Its a better test than sitting on a highway.

The ADR figure test is BS. Maybe Bugatti should have entered and won that title with the Veyron...
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
What? The test was on a circuit that is a road, its a complete mix of different grades etc so whats the problem? Its a better test than sitting on a highway.

The ADR figure test is BS. Maybe Bugatti should have entered and won that title with the Veyron...

I think he may be trying to polish excrement polyal.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I think he may be trying to polish excrement polyal.

You must be an expert, please divulge how you do that???
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Unlike the exclusive Drive test, the Global Green Challenge — won by the thirstiest car in the field, a V8-powered HSV Maloo — was arguably as far from real-world driving as you could get.
I don't quite understand this piece of the article. I thought the Omega Wagon was the best overall for stock Oz build?

http://globalgreenchallenge.com.au/a...%20Results.pdf

Like most magazine articles, the content is just fluff anyway.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
You must be an expert, please divulge how you do that???

Judging by the responses you're getting to your insightful post (sic); I put it to you that you are indeed an expert when it comes to the polishing of excrement; particularly Holden press release excrement.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 10-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

The ECO challenge was a roads too even around Adelaide. The Bathurst tests relevance would only be for people who lived on the Circuit. I reckon an XR8 would probably beat the Falcon six for economy at this place.

DRIVE have really sucked everyone in with their test - they have got exactly the controversy they wanted - and now publishing rebukes from Holden.

The ADR tests are a guide - all cars are tested the same way, if they didn't have them, who would you rely on for Fuel consumption figures - your mates or Grandmother, I think you might get a fair discrepancy between the two.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
HSE2

Quote:
The ECO challenge was a roads too even around Adelaide. The Bathurst tests relevance would only be for people who lived on the Circuit. I reckon an XR8 would probably beat the Falcon six for economy at this place.

DRIVE have really sucked everyone in with their test - they have got exactly the controversy they wanted - and now publishing rebukes from Holden.

The ADR tests are a guide - all cars are tested the same way, if they didn't have them, who would you rely on for Fuel consumption figures - your mates or Grandmother, I think you might get a fair discrepancy between the two.

What rubbish

In the real world there are hills. These hills are responsible for the lion share of extended engine effort encountered in real world conditions. How engines cope with this particular ask is exactly the point. There is no good Ford bringing out a turbo four if its characteristics aren't matched to peoples driving expectations. This is exactly what we have been talking about. What’s on the table today is pretty damn impressive and Drive’s effort reflects that. If you can get economy on the mountain then you should be able to get it practically anywhere.

In this case what goes up must also come down. I applaud Drive for working out that putting load on an engine and making it work in such away is pretty much what is expected of these sorts of cars and commend them and the media in general for starting to put some effort into looking at real world conditions.
The Eco challenge went too far to be considered relevant but the HSV doesn't come with a 6 litre engine as Drive seem to think.

Under the circumstances the HSV deserved its win. It is a shame they didn't try to enforce conditions that make this test more representative of what consumers can expect.

Regardless provided all parties completely disclose how these results were derived, consumers should be smart enough to know which sort of driving they will likely to encounter the most.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah, because everyone else lives on a completely flat straight road with zero traffic?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Ah...no it wouldn't. That exposes your either extreme naivete or pro-holden bias...or both. Fuel burn is one of the most complex part of car design.....and i'm talking real world not in a lab niether. Either way, the suggestion in terms of fuel burn a 5.4 V8 without VCT would take down a 4.0 I6 with DIVCT etc. at bathurst is just not realististic. For one....on idle it woud be using a good 20% more fuel all the way down the bathurt hill. So it would have to use LESS fuel going up by some margin to equal that out alone....not very likley when its both heavier and does not have the capability to as adequetlly adjust timing/injection/spark etc. for the given load (which is what real world stop/start/hill driving requires.....).

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Ah...no it wouldn't. That exposes your either extreme naivete or pro-holden bias...or both. Fuel burn is one of the most complex part of car design.....and i'm talking real world not in a lab niether. Either way, the suggestion in terms of fuel burn a 5.4 V8 without VCT would take down a 4.0 I6 with DIVCT etc. at bathurst is just not realististic. For one....on idle it woud be using a good 20% more fuel all the way down the bathurt hill. So it would have to use LESS fuel going up by some margin to equal that out alone....not very likley when its both heavier and does not have the capability to as adequetlly adjust timing/injection/spark etc. for the given load (which is what real world stop/start/hill driving requires.....).
For one, unless you clutch in / neutral it, the ECU will stop injecting fuel when engine braking. So 0 fuel used, for both the I6 and V8.

And the BOSS V8 does have control over fuel, and spark timing. The only thing it does miss out on over the I6 is variable valve timing.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 10-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

I think you will find that an ADR is the average amount of fuel used between the most a car can use & the least a car can use, all the challenge did was to try push the boundaries of the highway cycle & what other city cycle there was. ( a small percentage was city) It is not accurate driving around a 60kph in a 100pkh speed zone with the windows up & the A/C switched off in 40 celcius heat.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:

This has to be the biggest load of drivel I have ever heard.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #25
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:

The test is completely rellevant to everyone. Come live where I live and you will either be going up or down a hill. Now knowing that the ford can go up a hill like Bathurst and use less fuel than a car that boasts everywhere about being the most fuel efficient six, and considering the area I live, I would go the ford based on that test.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
The test is completely rellevant to everyone. Come live where I live and you will either be going up or down a hill. Now knowing that the ford can go up a hill like Bathurst and use less fuel than a car that boasts everywhere about being the most fuel efficient six, and considering the area I live, I would go the ford based on that test.
At a conservative estimate, I'll be travelling through 100 sets of traffic lights this morning surrounded by many cars at any one time who I'll have to avoid, negotiate and brake for. Last time I lapped Bathurst, no traffic, no traffic lights.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
A torque circuit?? Mate, if they dropped both cars off a cliff the VE would still use more fuel. It couldn't even convincingly beat the XR6T. Major, major FAILURE!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive
it houses arguably the biggest change to a locally made large car in decades
They have got to be kidding - a new cylinder head and fuel injection system is the biggest change in decades???
Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #29
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats awesome! Someone finally ragging on Holden.
Some good PR for Ford too! Good on ya SMH

Last edited by Fev; 10-11-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

In regards to the Bathurst test, the nature of the road is irrelevant.
Both the Ford and the Holden did the exact same route, under the same conditions and at the same time. The only variable was the person behind the wheel.

If the Falcon is more fuel efficient than the Commodore under these circumstances, then logic tells me that it will also be more fuel efficient at other times too.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Closed Thread