Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Doreturnonfoot

Default Self serve

We have been legally ripped off for years by getting charged more for groceries in order to subsidise their fuel and hardware shops, then complain about the germans that they let in.
Then they put in self serve checkouts expecting their customers to be honest.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/3441...oceries/#page1
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Self serve

I never use the self-checkout and the more competition the better - no excuse for fraud or theft.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

There was an article in today's paper where they caught a lady in QLD (I think) that took photos of barcodes for items worth less than $1, then she printed them out at home, stuck them on some sticky paper, then went back to the supermarket and stuck them on items like meat etc.

She got away with about $4,500 worth of stuff...until she got caught...

Grubs will always find a way...

Edit: I didn't click on the link...Oh well...
Old 14-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
There was an article in today's paper where they caught a lady in QLD (I think) that took photos of barcodes for items worth less than $1, then she printed them out at home, stuck them on some sticky paper, then went back to the supermarket and stuck them on items like meat etc.

Bet me to it.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post

That will only work if the product you stick the cheaper barcode onto weighs EXACTLY the same as the original product.
I myself love the DIY checkouts, in and out quick, I hate waiting for some teenager on Valium to scan a whole trolley load when I only have half a dozen items.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 22-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an allergy to shops.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
That will only work if the product you stick the cheaper barcode onto weighs EXACTLY the same as the original product.
Yeah, I wouldn't make much of a thief.

Bought a packet of lollies on the way into Coles (Coles have a ***** selection) and when I'd finished scanning Coles items I threw the lollies into the bag (which was still on the scales).

Not quite flashing lights and sirens but it did alert staff member that something was amiss.

Explained situation - all good but a lesson learned for when I become a master thief.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #8
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

When I get a 5% discount for serving myself I'll do it, until then I pay your price you will serve me.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta give her credit for thinking of the idea, and then pulling it off so well!

I guess her mother or grandmother was probably doing the same with the old price tags in the 80s & 70s....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Either do I, even if I got one item I wait in line at the register.

GAGF, you scan and organise payment for me you aren't giving my product to me any cheaper by making me do your work.

You keep that pimply faced 15 year old on you are paying $6.50/hour to so they can buy their $500 first car and then take it to me to be fixed every 10 seconds when it leaves them on the side of the road everywhere
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

I just do the maths in my head. I round it up or down within the 5c margin. So $5.78 is $5.80 or whatever and if the difference on the bill is over say $5 I question it. It's my only entertainment when shopping at the supermarket. Nether cheese slices or washing powder make it any fun. I hate being dragged through the female sanitary stuff isle. I just do the numbers hoping for a conflict that I'm right about. Car shopping is better. I point. I want that. Simple.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Only use self serve if I have minimal items (say 3 max for arguments sake), otherwise I go through the checkout proper.
Old 15-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the checkout chicks, at my age I can flirt with them, and know I'll be accepted as a silly old grandfather.
When they Q ' how are you today?" my answer....'are you asking about my health or my morals'.
Old 19-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I love the checkout chicks, at my age I can flirt with them, and know I'll be accepted as a silly old grandfather.
When they Q ' how are you today?" my answer....'are you asking about my health or my morals'.
When they ask "would you like a bag?" I reply with - You shouldn't talk about yourself like that dear.
Old 19-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #15
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes use the self-serve when I'm in a hurry but generally use the checkouts to try to keep the kids in a job.

Thinking maybe the chick the in the first article might not have been doing it so tough if she wasn't having to fill that drug utensil they took off her.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coles have a $1.1 billion theft bill, mostly attributed to self serve checkouts.

They have 780 odd stores nationally. Let's assume they have 5 express checkout lanes in each store, every lane is staffed for 8 hours of the day at an average rate of $22 an hour, allowing for older workers during the day and weekend rates. That adds up to a $250,536,000 wage bill, about a quarter of their theft bill. I don't know the exact breakdown of their theft bill but surely it makes sense to have staffed lanes.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #17
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Coles have a $1.1 billion theft bill, mostly attributed to self serve checkouts.

They have 780 odd stores nationally. Let's assume they have 5 express checkout lanes in each store, every lane is staffed for 8 hours of the day at an average rate of $22 an hour, allowing for older workers during the day and weekend rates. That adds up to a $250,536,000 wage bill, about a quarter of their theft bill. I don't know the exact breakdown of their theft bill but surely it makes sense to have staffed lanes.
Do you honestly think theft will stop if more checkouts are open? Theft has been around longer than SS.
The other thing C and W did was to open up the front of stores to make them more " welcoming" this only welcomed the thieves to walk out with trolley loads. They started off with store greeters then dropped them and now you can just walk out with your trolley.
Old 20-02-2017, 12:55 AM   #18
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Do you honestly think theft will stop if more checkouts are open? Theft has been around longer than SS.
The other thing C and W did was to open up the front of stores to make them more " welcoming" this only welcomed the thieves to walk out with trolley loads. They started off with store greeters then dropped them and now you can just walk out with your trolley.
Did you read my post? I never said it would stop it, what I did say is I don't know their theft breakdown but I would assume they'd be better off staffing their registers.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I don't know the exact breakdown of their theft bill but surely it makes sense to have staffed lanes.
this theory that self serve is at the expense of jobs isn't entirely true. before self serve, they would only open one or two checkouts at non busy times anyway.

self serve allows them to get customers serviced quicker at no real extra cost (in wages anyway).

as for theft, its a bit rich to blame the supermarkets for the scumbags with no morals.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #20
marty351
Shenanigans..............

What the ****? Again?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #21
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I use the self-serve checkouts all the time because I hate waiting in line and Coles usually only has one checkout with an actual cashier open.

It does annoy me a lot when I use the stupid self serve checkout then the person stops me and wants to check all my stuff though. Why didn't you just serve me to begin with!?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #22
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I use the self-serve checkouts all the time because I hate waiting in line and Coles usually only has one checkout with an actual cashier open.
Ours is the same and I do the same as you.

Old 27-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #23
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post

It does annoy me a lot when I use the stupid self serve checkout then the person stops me and wants to check all my stuff though. Why didn't you just serve me to begin with!?
Thats where the most fun is. You loudly tell them to **** off. If they wanted toi check every item, they should have served you directly.
They don't have the power to stop and search you, and if they try and you have paid for everything they are in the *****.

I hate how sensitive the coles self serve checkouts are compared to the woolies ones.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually find the opposite at the supermarkets near me - all the numpties will line up 10 people deep for self-serve, leaving manned checkouts nearby, close to empty - I've never waited more than a minute before being served at a "proper" checkout.

Even on Saturday morning - one of the busiest times, I had to push through the self-serve queue to get to a register, where I was served within 30 seconds. The girl actually had to wait for me to load the items onto the belt!
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #25
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

"Unexpected item in the bagging area"
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #26
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
That would be the one...

Old 27-02-2017, 02:36 AM   #27
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
That would be the one...
Little latex friends are more discrete to buy from a servo now.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #28
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
They have actually disabled that at most self serve now other than "high risk" areas, makes the process much smoother.
Old 27-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate self serve check outs, they were introduced as a convenience, then they started closing normal check outs forcing us to use the self serve or wait in line.

We are being trained like monkeys by these supermarkets

I generally complain to the manager about it and they get someone to scan my items for me.

Our local Coles mostly only has one check out open other than the self serve

Re the theft I can see how it would be tempting to those with low moral standards, and really it's the supermarkets own fault for introducing an honour system in a society that as lost honour a long time ago.

Our local Coles used to employ 4 or 5 check out persons, now they only have 1 so what are the other 3 or 4 people doing now?? Probably collecting the dole

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

Our local Coles used to employ 4 or 5 check out persons, now they only have 1 so what are the other 3 or 4 people doing now?? Probably collecting the dole
No, they are probably packing "Click and collect" orders.

When I use to work at Coles, during a regular day there would only be a few people throughout the store stacking shelves. Now at my local store sometimes when it's busy there is a staff member in every aisle packing the click and collect online orders. Plus the people still stacking the shelves.

So those people who no longer work checkout's probably pack these orders.

My current local store is a similar size to the one I worked at, but my local seams to have more staff on duty than my workplace ever did.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: