Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should Ford give the Falcon I4T another name or appearance?
Nope, I like having a 4Cyl Falcon 73 55.30%
Change the name but let them look the same 22 16.67%
Change the name and the look - and the market segment too? 37 28.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Should the Falcon I4T have a different name / look different?

Think of it this way:

(1) Ford could have jacked up a Falcon Wagon, whacked 4WD under it and tried to sell it. History shows that the Territory, because it was sufficiently different, sold way better than the equivalent jacked-up-Holden-Commodore-Wagon.

(2) Toyota had been trying to sell a car known to be a small/mid 4 Cylinder car with a V6 in it for quite some time without much success. When they split the same car in two - Camry vs Aurion (I'll conveniently side-step the Avalon) - it confused the average punter into thinking they were different cars and received a much greater reception from buyers.

So when Ford bolt a I4T into the Falcon, should the car have a different name or look different?

Lukeyson

Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

It will still cannibalise Falcon sales, but a new nameplate may also lure in new buyers, just like the Falcon-Territory relationship. They'd have to really convince people that they are different cars, or else people will just see it as a 4cyl Falcon with a fancy name. The majority of people I've spoken to don't have a clue that Aurion is based on Camry and this is what Ford would need to achieve. But, Ford being Ford, the most they'd do is dress it in pretty badges and call it a day.

Then again if they market it under a different name, Ford can't boast about Falcon's fuel economy like Holden will be doing with Commodore. People might also see it as a 'lesser' Falcon.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
It will still cannibalise Falcon sales, but a new nameplate may also lure in new buyers, just like the Falcon-Territory relationship. They'd have to really convince people that they are different cars, or else people will just see it as a 4cyl Falcon with a fancy name. The majority of people I've spoken to don't have a clue that Aurion is based on Camry and this is what Ford would need to achieve. But, Ford being Ford, the most they'd do is dress it in pretty badges and call it a day.

Then again if they market it under a different name, Ford can't boast about Falcon's fuel economy like Holden will be doing with Commodore. People might also see it as a 'lesser' Falcon.
Yep I agree but like terrotory as good as it is {anyone want to swap XR6T for 1 seperating the names has hurt Ford more than I think they realise had terrotory been named falcon hi wagon {for want of a better name it would have contributed to falcon sales and I feel the comparo figures would be heaps better.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.

Last edited by KW XRT; 04-08-2009 at 07:57 PM.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nothing should be different other than a little econoboost (whatever its called) badge.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Nothing should be different other than a little econoboost (whatever its called) badge.
Exactly.
It is still a Falcon, they don't want to confuse the buying public any further. Having a 4 cylinder is already info overload most.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If you give it different looks/name, then what is the point of having the Mondeo?
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
If you give it different looks/name, then what is the point of having the Mondeo?
Id be surprised if the mondeo is around when the I4T comes in, whats the point. All ford need to do is offer a better wagon.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That is a brilliant question. Should it be dropped completely?

Or, better still, could they stop importing the Mondeo, and sell the 4Cyl Falcon as a Mondeo?

It's not the first time we've seen a badge change cars. The Barina name moved from a Suzuki to an Opel in the Holden range. Why not move the Mondeo name, sell more locally built cars, and save the cost of importing?

Lukeyson
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
That is a brilliant question. Should it be dropped completely?

Or, better still, could they stop importing the Mondeo, and sell the 4Cyl Falcon as a Mondeo?

It's not the first time we've seen a badge change cars. The Barina name moved from a Suzuki to an Opel in the Holden range. Why not move the Mondeo name, sell more locally built cars, and save the cost of importing?

Lukeyson
Given the build quality, content levels and tech of the Mondeo, dropping that car would be stupid. It just needs to be marketed more. FoA can only dream of giving the Falcon the same levels of kit and build quality as the Mondeo.

Not to mention the fact that FoA has access to all the ULEV powertrain options that the european version has, both current and planned. Why cut yourself off from that massive R&D source and access to green powertrains all for a 4 cylinder Falcon in a tiny market?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I don't like either of the options.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

*ecoboost. I prefer the first name ("Twinforce") before they axed in it favour of an enviro name.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

How about other reasons:

(1) By putting the I4T into a different market segment, this '4Cyl Falcon' gets to compete in more than one segment in Car of the Year comparisons. I mean, how can the Camry compete in Mid-size and Aurion in Large car when they have the same dimensions but different engines? The Honda Accord/Accord Euro is similar. Based on this, you'd have thought the V8 Falcons/Commodres would be in their own category too.

(2) I've already heard gloating comments from Holden fans regarding a 4-Pot Falcon. This probably comes from their attrocious 4-cyl experience in the VB Commodore. But if this new car is not called a Falcon, would that go some way to hosing off the voracity of their claim?

Lukeyson
Old 04-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
(2) I've already heard gloating comments from Holden fans regarding a 4-Pot Falcon. This probably comes from their attrocious 4-cyl experience in the VB Commodore. But if this new car is not called a Falcon, would that go some way to hosing off the voracity of their claim?
Lukeyson
And when/if this T4 shows itself to outperform the V6 commodore do you think the gloating will be coming from the same people?

I have a N/A 3.5 litre V6 that in last years PCOTY matched a 6.2 litre GTS around wakefield even though the 3.5 was brand new and tighter than a LPG zealot.

Size only matters when you don't know how to use it.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Lukeyson
I suspect the turbo 4 will whip the 3.0L and change their tune.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

althougf I had reservations about the 4 at first this looks like being a 4 with more. it will have similar power to the late e series 6 so it will be no slouch.
the holden 4 banger on the other hand was just a 6 with 2 pots cut off , it was harsh and gutless needing special engine mounts to cope with the vibration and is something I'm sure holden wish they could forget ever happened, worst thing an engineer could put on their CV is worked on development of the holden starfire 4
Quote:
I've already heard gloating comments from Holden fans regarding a 4-Pot Falcon. This probably comes from their attrocious 4-cyl experience in the VB Commodore. But if this new car is not called a Falcon, would that go some way to hosing off the voracity of their claim?

Lukeyson

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Screw what Holden and their followers think about the turbo 4 - obviously they're not the target market and would never buy a Ford anyway.

You could give the car different front and rear bumpers and headlights to give it a different look, a-la Aurion, and call it something like the Taurus (hurrr hurrr) but it still doesn't solve the problem of how it would sit with Mondeo in the lineup.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well this is probably way off topic now, but the next falcon should run a business case just like the C class benz and 5 series.

What body style would you like? Wagon, sedan, ute?

What engine? I4T, I6, I6T, I6-LPG, I6 Diesel

What transmission? Manual or auto on all models

From there you just choose what level spec (low, mid, high) and your done. This model would only work if the Falcon (or whatever GWRD) was to be exported properly. No reason other than nervous Americans that should stop it from happening IMO.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Sure, but isn't the same I4 engine destined to go into the Mondeo and Focus anyway?

On the other side of the argument, why ship a car halfway across the globe when you can build something almost identical locally?

Lukeyson
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Sure, but isn't the same I4 engine destined to go into the Mondeo and Focus anyway?

On the other side of the argument, why ship a car halfway across the globe when you can build something almost identical locally?

Lukeyson

I thought it was a 1.6L going in there.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Lukeyson
The other thing is, by the time this 4 pot 'coon is ready for the market, the Mondeo's EUCD platform will be done with and will have become one C/D car project with the Toreass and Fusion. Assuming Mondeo keeps selling, this car will be coming here.

So there is going to be an even greater economy of scale with the C/D car that the I4T Falcon is going to be competing with. See where I'm going with this?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #21
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Warrior
You could give the car different front and rear bumpers and headlights to give it a different look, a-la Aurion, and call it something like the Taurus (hurrr hurrr) but it still doesn't solve the problem of how it would sit with Mondeo in the lineup.
GOLD!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
bigdude1011

Why not a Falcon hatch? Either build it in a wagonoid shape (like Corolla/Commodore SportsWagon) or in a liftback shape, (like Mondeo/Mazda6) and undercut the price slightly.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Why not a Falcon hatch? Either build it in a wagonoid shape (like Corolla/Commodore SportsWagon) or in a liftback shape, (like Mondeo/Mazda6) and undercut the price slightly.
For the love of God, no.

Nowhere near enough sales volumes there to justify the R&D, tooling and other costs to bring such a car to the market. It's barely there as it is for the wagon which will probably go bye bye next year anyway.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #24
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

hey can i ask a question..will it just be an I4T? or will they have a non turbo, V6, V8 variant too (surely they will) ?
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemank
hey can i ask a question..will it just be an I4T? or will they have a non turbo, V6, V8 variant too (surely they will) ?
I4T, I6, I6T and V8. No V6 for the falcon.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #26
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I4T, I6, I6T and V8. No V6 for the falcon.
Thnx mate...So they are still going to offer the I6 and I6T...i thought they were giving the whole I6 a flick...now thats a relief
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #27
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

They could always call it the 'Falconet'? A smaller Falcon is normally known as a Kestrel but that wouldn't work. :P
I'm surprised that no one has released a car in this country with the name 'Southern Cross'. It's not as silly as it sounds. Look at the odd names Holden uses for their vehicles. They replaced the Rodeo name with 'Colorado'. YUK. I don't know why they didn't use a name like 'Nullabor'. They used it years ago when it was a special edition Jackaroo.

I don't see the harm in using the Falcon name with the 4T, 6 and V8 engines. It used to be done years ago with Ford and Holden. At least offering the 3 different engine types, it gives people a choice and it's still a Falcon!
But most probably it would it be known as the 'Falcon EcoBoost'.

P.S. They could always pay homage to the old Forte name and use it like 'FOUR-T' as a name for their I4T? Apologies for that lame attempt at humour. :P
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #28
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I don't think they need to change the name at all. An example that has done quite well for itself over the years is The Escape, Available in a 3lt V6 or a 2.4Lt 4 cyl, both have done quite well and did not create confusion.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #29
mikestp
EF Ghia

It should look different,
we don't want anyone getting them confused with a real falcon
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #30
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turbo four banger would fit just fine under the current Falcon/G-series/XR umbrella- and have a halo effect on the entire range ( especially an econetic variant). There would be no other way to get rear wheel drive power and four cylinders in a passenger sedan for the money.,
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post