Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default LPG versus Petrol. What's your view

it's probably been done before, but it seems to be a passionate subject to most of us. So I created this thread to stop poluting another thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...7&page=2&pp=25

I have used LPG, I have a fitters licence and have had something to do with it for the past 15 years.
My feelings are mixed though, from what I have seen a well maintained LPG engine for the average user will last as long as a petrol engine, but most don't get the correct servicing & end up with oil leaks, mechanical noise & excess emissions.

Quote:
A correctly maintained LPG engine should have the same or better life span than its petrol counterpart, but that's rarely the case & the manufacturers know it.

The reasons;
LPG produces more acids than petrol, the oil breaks down quicker but looks clean, the acids attack bearings & seals. Check out the recomendations from the manufacturers, you'll see that LPG engines require a higher rating.
LPG also causes oil to thicken with age, so not changing oil & filter at specified intervals leaves a too thick oil to circulate to the valve train.
Petrol has a natural cooling effect, this causes the air/fuel charge to be denser (more power) and also helps cool the valve & top piston ring. LPG does not have this, so there is more heat stress in the combustion chamber.

So there is good and bad with LPG.
http://www.wps.com/LPG/WVU-review.html
Quote:
Performance and drivebility of propane vehicles is essentially the same as for gasoline vehicles. For propane, the gas displacement effect is 4%, it means that the displacement of air by propane causes reduction in power of 4 % (volumetric efficiency decrease) from an equilevent gasoline counterpart. Gasoline on the other hand, provides evaporotive cooling of the intake air which increases the intake air density and increases the power. Test results show 6 % less power with propane than with gasoline[11]. Propane has a research octane rating of 110 to 120, thus, it resists engine knock better than gasoline (gasoline 87-94 ) allowing a higher compression ratio for the engine, see Figure 1. Propane contains about 5 % more energy per unit mass however the density is nearly 32 % less. The net result is that a litre propane contains 28 % less energy than a litre of gasoline, Table 4. Assuming that an engine is operated on propane and gasoline with equal efficiency, more litres of propane will be consumed to provide equilevent performance. Fortunately, engines generally operate on propane with greater efficiency than on gasoline so that the increase in fuel volume is not as great as the energy comparison suggests. Propane fueled vehicles can achieve the same driving range as a gasoline vehicle by installing a slightly larger tank. Propane use consumes approximately 5 % more fuel for equivelent performance but it costs 15 % less than gasoline.
Question; Two identical engines, one with slightly less power, which one will wear out first if driven in identical ways?

johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

As I've stated many times, LPG all the way. It's a hell of alot cheaper then petrol (118.9 cpl regular, 127.9cpl premium, 38.9cpl LPG), and IMO, a much better fuel.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
As I've stated many times, LPG all the way. It's a hell of alot cheaper then petrol (118.9 cpl regular, 127.9cpl premium, 38.9cpl LPG), and IMO, a much better fuel.
And to back this up you run your own vehicle on?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
PULP, as required per owner's manual, until I can afford the LPG swap. Don't worry, it'll be on gas sooner or later :P

:
Old 30-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Grade A milk and chocolate chip cookies!
Old 30-08-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Grade A milk and chocolate chip cookies!
The only car in Australia on a low GI diet.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
GraveDilute

Both of my cars are LPG, one dedicated and one duel fuel.
Yes, LPG requires a bit more care, but the price difference on a weekly basis ($26 versus $78 per tank of gas) more than makes up for the cost of higher grade oil when changing, or higher spec spark plugs, etc.
LPG is a non-imported product, is less polluting than petrol, and allows me to spend more money on goods and services which benefit the domestic economy.

If you've never run a car on gas, then you're not qualified to comment.
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know LPG isnt 100% propane , i think its got a mix of Butane? But it's a lot more than 5% more in consumption, burns hotter, smells aweful, isnt much cheaper than petrol when you remove the big tax component from both and take in to consideration its 25% increase in consumption, non lubricating for the engine, and despite all the theories in the world, less power is usually achieved in reality. So i cant see a lot of advantage to it, other than its taxed a lot less at the moment
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
i know LPG isnt 100% propane , i think its got a mix of Butane? But it's a lot more than 5% more in consumption, burns hotter, smells aweful, isnt much cheaper than petrol when you remove the big tax component from both and take in to consideration its 25% increase in consumption, non lubricating for the engine, and despite all the theories in the world, less power is usually achieved in reality. So i cant see a lot of advantage to it, other than its taxed a lot less at the moment
25% increase? Are you seriously kidding? 25% increase = absolutely horrible, shockingly tuned setup. On average, you should burn approx 1.2 litres of LPG per 1 litre of petrol. That's ALOT less then 25%.

And petrol fumes are alot worse to smell then LPG fumes... petrol fumes give me a headache... LPG fumes just stink like rotten egg, but no associated issues from smelling them. They're far less toxic.

:
Old 30-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
25% increase? Are you seriously kidding? 25% increase = absolutely horrible, shockingly tuned setup. On average, you should burn approx 1.2 litres of LPG per 1 litre of petrol. That's ALOT less then 25%.
Sure is, its only about 20% :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Sure is, its only about 20% :
See... I failed maths at school :

:
Old 30-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

I'll also post this up from that other thread.

:
Old 30-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
EFFalcon
Last warning

lol @ when you remove the big tax component, when is that going to happen.
given excise on LPG will still have LPG costing around 1/2 what ULP does..
and when u consider its currently almost 1/3 the cost of ULP.. LPG rocks.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #14
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Cost effectiveness of LPG is the number 1 argument for LPG, not matter which way you look at it. $0.50 vs $1.30 is an amazing difference, and even with the so called 28% difference as stated above, it's still a cost effective fuel compared to petrol!

I think the biggest problem with LPG that gives it a bad name is people run dual fuel and leave their engine setup for petrol.... obviously you litres consumption for every 100km's and power output will be better on petrol in this situation. If instead you change your setup for LPG, economy and performance figures will tell a very different story.

The other point I'd like to make is LPG will be around for the same length of time as Petrol, and is likely to always be cheaper! Plus LPG produces less emmisions and is therefore given exemptions to restrictions on certain laws to govern emmisions released into the environment.

The point above about oil and LPG causing it to go acidic is a crucial point, and some oils don't even tolerate this well and will breakdown VERY quickly. regular maintenance with special attention to oil and ignition system is crucial to a good LPG powered vehicle.

I don't think I could ever drive a petrol powered car, simply on the basis of cost!

that's my 2c
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #15
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
The point above about oil and LPG causing it to go acidic is a crucial point, and some oils don't even tolerate this well and will breakdown VERY quickly. regular maintenance with special attention to oil and ignition system is crucial to a good LPG powered vehicle.

I don't think I could ever drive a petrol powered car, simply on the basis of cost!

that's my 2c
Thing is.. you're supposed to run different oil with LPG anyway..

http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oil_detail.asp?id=316

Plus don't forget the higher octane rating for LPG, making it able to utilise higher compression and higher boost without knock. That's a great thing in a performance orientated engine.

I'm still of the opinion that LPG is going to become the next big thing in Australia, until we all move to hydrogen fuel cell cars...

:
Old 30-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #16
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
until we all move to hydrogen fuel cell cars...
is that the same week we all move into gumdrop houses on lolly pop lane?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:17 PM   #17
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:

Plus don't forget the higher octane rating for LPG, making it able to utilise higher compression and higher boost without knock. That's a great thing in a performance orientated engine.

I'm still of the opinion that LPG is going to become the next big thing in Australia, until we all move to hydrogen fuel cell cars...
Actually you don't have to run different oils, some oils are practical on both. It depends on the qualities each oil has, but yes, some oils are just completely impractical for LPG.

I stated that changing your setup to suit LPG is necessary to achieve realistically comparable performance and economy figures, if I was to elaborate I would say what you said.... plus a recurved dizzy or aftermarket ECU.

The only thing I don't agree on is LPG becoming big in Australia. It won't happen because so many people believe the myths that surround the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I only spend about $30 a week so it isnt too expensive.
And with that $30 you travel how many km's? And your car produces how much power?

A petrol powered car simply can't compete with a well setup LPG car with todays prices!!! :voldar02:
Old 30-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And with that $30 you travel how many km's? And your car produces how much power?
I travel about 300-400kms mostly peak hour traffic and when I am moving i flog the s**t of it. Lol and it produces a whopping 87kws but yet is still enough (I dont need a V8 supercar). Ive gone a week on $15 before but thats just too boring. I dont always put the same amount in every week. Sometimes ill put in $20 or $25 but mostly $30.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #19
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I travel about 300-400kms mostly peak hour traffic and when I am moving i flog the s**t of it. Lol and it produces a whopping 87kws but yet is still enough (I dont need a V8 supercar). Ive gone a week on $15 before but thats just too boring. I dont always put the same amount in every week. Sometimes ill put in $20 or $25 but mostly $30.
Well for comparison's sake (and don't take any of this personally, just the car you drive is a good comparison), my car achieves 19L/100km based on 80% city driving and makes 140rwkw on LPG. At let's say $0.40 (city priced LPG) I can travel 395km. That's in a full sized family sedan that's about 28 years old!

The point i'm making here is that when setup right, a full size V8 sedan would have to be compared to a small to medium sized basic vehicle to return the similar cost effectiveness.

NO, it's no scientific conclusion Red, but it's damned hard to argue with!!! I genuinely believe I can achieve that same fuel economy and be making upwards of 180rwkw too :
Old 30-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #20
PetesV8
Starter Motor

Having had two almost identical cars in the household, namely

1. 2004 BA XT (petrol) (July build)
2. 2004 BA Xt (E-Gas) (Oct Build)

Both were 'Sales Reps' Cars covering 500 - 700kms per week, 50/50 Highway/City Driving.

A) E-Gas obviously cheaper to run, even considering (slightly) higher maint. costs.
B) At Highway speeds and overtaking, both cars performed almost identically.
C) At city speeds E-Gas was noticebly slower of the mark and engine not as willing.
D) E-Gas engine 'rougher' at upper end of Rev Scale.
E) Noticeable idle roughness in E-Gas when A/C on.
F) Time taken to fill up with gas (about twice the time of petrol)
G) Lack of boot space with rear wheel mounted in Boot for E-Gas!!!

As a driver who (Luckily!) does not pay for petrol I would choose the petrol version everyday.
If I was paying for fuel in a private car....... different story!!

Have Subaru XT now as work car which only takes Pulp.......!!!!
PetesV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #21
PetesV8
Starter Motor

Default BA XT EGAS bites the Dust

Wifes BA XT EGAS, after 2 weeks of back & fro to dealer with numerous problems, has finally bit the dust.

8 months old 47500kms, serviced at log book intervals, and requires complete rebuild / new engine.
Ford denies there is any inherent problems with the system

.......her fleet controller has 2 cars already with new engines and 3 more "playing" up, all E-Gas.

Interesting....
PetesV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #22
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
The only thing I don't agree on is LPG becoming big in Australia. It won't happen because so many people believe the myths that surround the fuel.:voldar02:
i agree with him. like i over heard these guys say that LPG may be cheaper by the Liter but compared to petrol it ends up more expensive (km's per liter). now its because of miss informed ppl like them that i believe that gas is not popular plus not to mention the claims that you lose alot of horse power when using LPG. trust me if ppl new that in the long run they could save thousands of dollars off there fuel consumtion by switching to gas they would. plus like all things the more popular LPG gets the more expensive its going to get.

as i have said in other threads i am a LPG man and as soon as i can afford a gas covertion i will. Even though my own car doesnt have one my dad's, and bro's is on it and i have drivin them in both gas and petrol and there is minimal difference in performance but a hell of a difference at the gas station. also if you havnt realised petrol has went up 30 to 40% in recent years but gas has went up 10% mabey but the fuel hasnt changed. wots this tell you, well it tells you that even if gas went up another 20 to 30% you are still in compared to fuel not that bad off. atm basicly gas is way cheaper and will contiune to be cheaper even if the price goes up 20 or 30 % and petrol stays the same which buy the way is very unlikely.

At the end of the day you can either be a sucker (petrol consumer) or a winner (LPG consumer) and all i can do is inform ppl. As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you carnt make it drink

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Steffo Steffo Steffo!! such enthusiasm!!!
Can i ask a favour?! is it remotely possible you can base at least some of your opinions or arguments around PERSONAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE occasionally?? please?!
The "Cut n paste" and "mag quote" stuff is interesting but you didnt experience this stuff yourself, someone else might have but it hardly helps to give solid basis for a position when you take third hand info and recite it like you experienced it yourself.

Give us some meat with our vegies mate!!! :

Old 30-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #24
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Steffo Steffo Steffo!! such enthusiasm!!!
Can i ask a favour?! is it remotely possible you can base at least some of your opinions or arguments around PERSONAL FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE occasionally?? please?!
The "Cut n paste" and "mag quote" stuff is interesting but you didnt experience this stuff yourself, someone else might have but it hardly helps to give solid basis for a position when you take third hand info and recite it like you experienced it yourself.

Give us some meat with our vegies mate!!! :
I see how LPG vehicles run all the time, my dad drives them 12 hours a day for a living. That's as close to first hand I can give you until I have the funds to convert my own car to LPG, which will happen once I'm able to save up a grand to do it.

:
Old 30-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #25
damo351

I use LPG...... on LPG 20 bucks for 2 days..... on petrol 60 bucks for 2 days
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #26
EFFalcon
Last warning

how many people out there are running aftermarket ECU's and thus are getting perfect AFR's on Petrol? not many, therefore they're getting $hitful AFR's and the theoretical 'difference' doens't apply.
LPG consumption is closer then 20% due to the AFR's being far closer then that of a factory ULP car.
sure, if you have an aftermarket ECU then your petrol consumption will be better, but your LPG performance will be better too (ignition curves)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #27
niko
likes falcon's

as a student on virtually no income gas is the answer for me
Old 30-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #28
GraveDilute

RED EL, I don't understand what you're trying to criticise.
My so-called "scientific claims" are baed on primary school mathematics:
65l x $1.20 = $78
65l x $0.40 = $26
I'm not pulling crap out about reduced air flow, blah, blah.
Yes, the car does use gas more than petrol, I'm not disputing that. But at 1/3 the cost of petrol...even a primary school kid can see the difference
Old 30-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #29
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveDilute
RED EL, I don't understand what you're trying to criticise.
My so-called "scientific claims" are baed on primary school mathematics:
65l x $1.20 = $78
65l x $0.40 = $26
I'm not pulling crap out about reduced air flow, blah, blah.
Yes, the car does use gas more than petrol, I'm not disputing that. But at 1/3 the cost of petrol...even a primary school kid can see the difference
Yeah and BA XR8 holds 60L so does my Mums Camry? Are the usages of the 2 vehicles you mentioned identical a one third fuel price may sound attractive but it wont have the same impact on TCO of the vehicles, in fact in many applications the gas vehicle will end up the more expensive option.

Most fleet managers have done a lot more sums than the high school math you quote.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #30
GraveDilute

Quote:
Yeah and BA XR8 holds 60L so does my Mums Camry? Are the usages of the 2 vehicles you mentioned identical a one third fuel price may sound attractive but it wont have the same impact on TCO of the vehicles, in fact in many applications the gas vehicle will end up the more expensive option.

Most fleet managers have done a lot more sums than the high school math you quote.
OK, I believe you are coming from a different set of assumptions than I am, hence the confusion.
If you are arguing against the conversion of an existing car to LPG, there are a number of valid points against doing so. No of cylinders of car, no of kms driven and in what conditions, etc, etc.

If in my case, I had the choice between spending money on a car only on petrol, and on the same model car with LPG. It was a no brainer. LPG wins hands down.

Do I drive my duel fuel car on petrol because of theoretical efficiency advantages and x kw difference at the wheel? NO