Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
hiltont
Starter Motor

Default Worth taking advantage of crazy car market?

Used car prices are fetching 30%-50% more than they were pre-covid. I see that as free money Id feel like an idiot to not take advantage of before it ends.

I’m Considering selling my 2005 BA Xr6 non turbo 198km. Uncommon vixen red in Very good condition. (There’s literally only 14 of these for sale in all Aus right now, none in red)

My goal: Pocket the 30-50% markup. Buy a cheap heap to travel. Wait for car market to return to normal. Then buy whatever I want for essentially a 30%+ discount when prices are normal.

Settle an argument I’m having with my old man. (Who I purchased it off)
hiltont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Worth taking advantage of crazy car market?

This sounds like you have sunk a few bevvies before thinking it through.

With all due respect just because it has a Barra it doesnt mean your sitting on a gold mine.

XR6T or XR8 may be slightly different, by the time you stuff around with taxes etc I doubt you will be up.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
hiltont
Starter Motor

I'm in the process of thinking it through. By my understanding though it's literally every car on the market that's been effected.
hiltont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I'm seriously considering flogging both our cars privately and buying a new dualcab.
Can get around 18k for the Paj, paid a little under 10k 12 months ago, can get almost new car money for the ASX with 25k on the clock which would settle the debt.
Would allow us to drop 15k deposit on the ute and have some spare for a cheapie for me for work, 10mins each way.

So instead of the GWM or LDV at 20k after deposit we can get a Triton GLXR for a little more than we borrowed for the ASX with similar repayments.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltont View Post
I'm in the process of thinking it through. By my understanding though it's literally every car on the market that's been effected.
Pretty much, so you still need something to drive so what will you buy?

"Buy a cheap heap to travel"

Bear in mind you are currently driving a 16 year old falcon with nearly 200,000 kms value circa 6-8K
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Are we actually seeing an increase in values, or is it because of inflation and your dollar is just worth less?

Debt to GDP ratio has increased since the government started throwing spondoolies around which it raised by selling bonds.

Try buy something ex China from AliExpress and notice all the prices have risen significantly

I reckon it's inflation rather than everyone's cars massively increasing in value, your dollar just doesn't buy as much, trouble on the horizon for the Australian Peso?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-08-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Are we actually seeing an increase in values, or is it because of inflation and your dollar is just worth less?

Debt to GDP ratio has increased since the government started throwing spondoolies around which it raised by selling bonds.

Try buy something ex China from AliExpress and notice all the prices have risen significantly

I reckon it's inflation rather than everyone's cars massively increasing in value, your dollar just doesn't buy as much, trouble on the horizon for the Australian Peso?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
This sounds like you have sunk a few bevvies before thinking it through.

With all due respect just because it has a Barra it doesnt mean your sitting on a gold mine.

XR6T or XR8 may be slightly different, by the time you stuff around with taxes etc I doubt you will be up.
My thoughts exactly. If you've got a good, single owner car, why would you risk selling it and then buying a lemon tart to eventually replace it, just so you could say you've made $2k?
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Id be surprised if the turbo models ever really drop much at all. Theyll get rarer as more people write them off. 198k isnt high for a barra - we all know that - but its still getting uo there to command a premuim price.

Plus if you know it and reliable, why sell just to posdibly buy someone elses trouble in a years or teo time
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
hayseed

My Gut is telling Me that these Higher prices for the Aussie made cars are here to Stay..!!

In 12 Months or so when New car supply is Better than It is Now, I reckon the Later Model Popular Brands/Models Will ease in Value.. But I have been wrong before Just ask my Wife..LOL
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd get a lot more for your regular barra now for sure. Four years ago it was a 4k car, but with barra's popularity and covid tax you'd get a lot more for it now.

But what are you going to buy to drive? Every reliable sh1tbox has doubled in value too.
Not much out there to buy and still have a decent profit (ie not spending it on old car repairs and wiping out the profit/point of it).
Do you like repairing cars as a hobby? if so I can see going euro (old BMW or merc or maybe even a not so old AU v8 fairmont or even a Peugeot 206 would be my pick). Or do you want to drive a 20+ y/o laser?
If the answer to those is no, then you haven't thought hard about this at all! You've looked at high sale prices and thought you could sell high, but haven't thought about the fact you'd have to buy high too for anything decent.
Pretty much 2017 was the best year to buy anything decent. Everything old and specifically cheap and somewhat desirable now has tripled in value since then.

Last edited by oldel; 09-08-2021 at 08:57 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There is nothing uncommon about Vixen Red. It was one of the most common BA colours. Just because there aren't any for sale atm doesn't make it rare.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 09:03 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thinking about getting rid of the Jimny now. It's great but I'm getting bored and want something a little bigger. Tough call though because I don't want to buy another 4x4 at an inflated price.
Who knows when the market will drop, if at all.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #14
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Thinking about getting rid of the Jimny now. It's great but I'm getting bored and want something a little bigger. Tough call though because I don't want to buy another 4x4 at an inflated price.
Who knows when the market will drop, if at all.

Mate, you’ll clean up with the Jimny…. Wait time on those was apparently crazy before COVID….

As for the topic, from time to time I consider selling my SSV Redline… it’s a MY17 so final year build, in a colour that was only available in 2017… I have an ongoing offer for an acquaintance to buy it for a decent amount more then I paid for it brand new in 2017… it’s crazy..

But then I drive it and it puts a damn smile on my face straight away and makes me feel better, every time I get her out… as James May would say, it gives me “the fizz” lol…

Then I also think… what could replace it?? I’ve already got a mustang coming late this year (novated lease through work so will be used for that) and everything else I would consider (FG2 F6, my17 GTSR, classic Aussie stuff) is also crazy expensive…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 10:24 PM   #15
nstg8a

Only 14 n/a ba xr6s for sale in Australia? Lol what? There’s probably that many within 50km of me….
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
JDT276
Starter Motor

Sell a BA to buy a ‘cheap heap’ and reap the financial rewards??
I’d say your old man’s gonna win this argument.
Let us know how it goes…..
JDT276 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #17
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I think your theory is good to be honest but not sure your car is the right car to execute with.

By comparison, Ben73 two posts up thinking about selling his 19 Suzuki Jimny is far more relevant to the idea - he'd probably clean up because these things are so hard to get brand new and he'd probably be able to sell the car more than they cost brand new.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I think your theory is good to be honest but not sure your car is the right car to execute with.

By comparison, Ben73 two posts up thinking about selling his 19 Suzuki Jimny is far more relevant to the idea - he'd probably clean up because these things are so hard to get brand new and he'd probably be able to sell the car more than they cost brand new.
Yep that's why I'm considering it.
The cheapest Jimny on carsales is priced similar to what mine was new in 2019.
They only go up from there.

I saw some people taking the **** asking over 50k for them which is just silly. But I guess people at listing 79's well into 6 figure territory.
You can ask whatever you like, it doesn't mean anyone will pay that.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2021, 11:26 PM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
You won’t ever get a better price than now.

Low supply of used cars and low supply of new cars.

But don’t sell to buy a cheap heap.

The real value at the moment is selling off a used car waiting to buy new. If you have to also buy another used car, you will pay overs as well so nothing gained, maybe go backwards buying someone Elses problem.

I have three cars at moment, I will sell one at overs, cash in and keep the money, wait for a bargain new car and minimal changeover.
Exactly what happened to me except I didn't have to wait.

Sold a van just over 3 years old and out of warranty at the inflated value of the current second hand market and bought a brand-new van which luckily was on the showroom floor so only a few days wait to fit towbar and glass to side panels and financed at today's lower finance rates with 5 years new warranty.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
If you have to also buy another used car, you will pay overs as well so nothing gained, maybe go backwards buying someone Elses problem.
Seeing as im the only one to mention selling to buy a new car and a 2nd hand car you're obviously directing this at me.

Have you ever considered making a post without finding a way to insert **** talk into it?

If i was to sell my Pajero at 18k, a 12 month profit of almost 9k or 100% and bought a new ute and a second cheap used car for say 3k, even if that cheap car was also up 100% its still only 1.5k, thats 17% of the original profit, how is that 'nothing gained' when id still be up 7.5k?

And why would i suddenly throw everything i know about buying used cars out the window to 'buy someone else's problem'?
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #21
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Seeing as im the only one to mention selling to buy a new car and a 2nd hand car you're obviously directing this at me.

Have you ever considered making a post without finding a way to insert **** talk into it?

If i was to sell my Pajero at 18k, a 12 month profit of almost 9k or 100% and bought a new ute and a second cheap used car for say 3k, even if that cheap car was also up 100% its still only 1.5k, thats 17% of the original profit, how is that 'nothing gained' when id still be up 7.5k?

And why would i suddenly throw everything i know about buying used cars out the window to 'buy someone else's problem'?
What? Not everything is about you and not everything fiji says is garbage. They are right in generally saying if you were set on a new car you planned to buy anyway, and selling your old car right now you didn't want anymore you'd be laughing.
If like the OP (not you) plans to sell a car just to buy another cheap s/h car, they would not be better off - likely buying something overpriced or with problems.

Jeeze, I get why some get annoyed with fiji, but following them around to crap on everything they write is lame.
There's a whole world out there that don't involve overpriced domestic cars and them having that opinion is fine by me. Seems like they're a pariah for saying that?
No idea why, there's no domestic car production any more, and they are overpriced now.
Realise the world isn't full of people with hive minds. Most of us here aren't buying fords any more. There's all sorts out there and none of it matters anyway. No point feigning persecution when it's the other way around. E: I don't get involved with the BS and I know they try start things with their new topics, but the forum becomes BS when it blows around in every thread when they just do regular replies on topic.

Last edited by oldel; 13-08-2021 at 12:01 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
What? Not everything is about you and not everything fiji says is garbage. They are right in generally saying if you were set on a new car you planned to buy anyway, and selling your old car right now you didn't want anymore you'd be laughing.
If like the OP (not you) plans to sell a car just to buy another cheap s/h car, they would not be better off - likely buying something overpriced or with problems.

Jeeze, I get why some get annoyed with fiji, but following them around to crap on everything they write is lame.
There's a whole world out there that don't involve overpriced domestic cars and them having that opinion is fine by me. Seems like they're a pariah for saying that?
No idea why, there's no domestic car production any more, and they are overpriced now.
Realise the world isn't full of people with hive minds. Most of us here aren't buying fords any more. There's all sorts out there and none of it matters anyway. No point feigning persecution when it's the other way around. E: I don't get involved with the BS and I know they try start things with their new topics, but the forum becomes BS when it blows around in every thread when they just do regular replies on topic.
Nice melt Princess.

His condescending tones are why people give him ****.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #23
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Nice melt Princess.

His condescending tones are why people give him ****.
Haha you got me there. Maybe this is about you after all?
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 02:41 AM   #24
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't bother unless you have your heart set on something in particular and you can pocket the difference. But your right, the used car market has gone bonkers in the last 18mths

I've reinsured my Ghia for $9k with Shannon's as it'll be hard to replace it for much less than that (and I don't want it written off in a minor Bingle). NRMA would only give me $4k max.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #25
damo6
turbo pilot

My one owner (me) fg 2012 mk2 xr6t has 54thou km on it. Extremely modded,absolute mint condition.i could get big $$ for it atm but the way i see it i would need every cent of those big dollars if i wanted something else in the same condition so whats the point of selling? I'll keep what ive got thanks.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #26
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a brain fart once recently and though i might chuck my Narooma Blue GT into a Lloyds auction to see what i'd get, with a ridiculous reserve price. but i think prices are here to stay and if i sold it, the money would go into my mortgage and i'd never get another decent car.
so i'm happy for my 1 of 1 GT to sit in the garage collecting dust just so i can own it in the future when i'm old and grumpy and can live young and hoon around.

also there are advertise prices and sale prices, if you look around you can still buy an ok BA/BF XR6 for $3k XR8 for $8k and turbo for $10k.

p.s. my brother just bought an FG-X XR6 turbo for $32k, carsales had them up to $50k but non of them are selling.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #27
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I bought my FG XR8 a year ago for $14,000.

They’ve seemingly doubled in price now.

(Going by what’s being advertised)
Old 12-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #28
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I paid $17,000 for an immaculate FG XR6 Ute with less than 60,000kms

It seems I could get $25,000 if people are silly enough.
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

Yes - but then you wouldn't have that nice immaculate FG XR6 Ute anymore.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #30
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

The price you paid at the time was silly as well for what it was, utes have gone nuts. My P250 has doubled in 2 years.