Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down type of fish not what you asked for! I hate that!

In the last few years, I have come across some fish and chip shops, but mainly RSL clubs, golf, Bowls and Leagues clubs selling fish they pass off as a different type, like Flathead, Gummy Shark, Barramundi, squid rings, scallops.

I fish lots, and love eating nice fish, and it annoys me no end!

I have had a few apologies, extra meals etc, but I wish they couldnt do it at all!

At a local Golf club (no names) they had a big board saying "Gummy Shark", I ordered that (I love fresh Gummy shark!), and it wasnt even any type of flake, not even ray! Had a fair freindly chat to the waiter and chef, who in the end showed me that they buy boxes of fish with the names "gummy shark" or "flathead" for a cheap prices, knowing full well it is not what is in there! They say 95% of people dont notice! But yes, a few fishos like me do! But thats not their market. Was interesting to get real info! They wouldnt get in trouble as even if some inspector came round, they can show that in fact it was them that is being cheated!! Good trick!

In Eden on the NSW south coast at a club, would you believe they dont even sell real flathead! Suspected imported Argentinian "flathead". The imported "flathead" is even cut into the shape of our good old "flathead tails" we all know and love!
At a Thai shop in Geelong, suspect BASA instead of Barramundi! Its covered in sauce so who would notice! (they used to use reall barra!) Wont admit it though!

And who doesnt hate that mashed up white sponge often used instead of real calamari!

I was just in at Safeway and they are selling "Flathead". Now its actually imported Argentinian "flathead" and says so in small writing.

Also listened to a wholesale Fish Market manager admit that they call "Fresh" fish "fresh" for up to 2 weeks!

Hard to buy good fish, especially when cooked it seems! (at cheaper establishments)

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Default Re: type of fish not what you asked for! I hate that!

Sign of the times... sad but true
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
meatbag

I want to know how many fancy names there are for shark...

But yes, if you know your fish, it sucks not getting what you paid for. I am rather picky at the palces I order fish from. RSLs, bowlos, small pubs, country towns hundreds of Kms to the ocean - Not a chance.
meatbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Get yourself a boat and get out and catch your own
I know what ya mean though , and other than fish and chip stores , up nq you generally get what you ask for as its on display , quite obvious and you pick ya piece .what alarms me is not so much that its imported , but that like has been on here recently .the fact we don't look after or protect our farmers , industries.
Side note saw mud crab at Coles for 45 a kilo , I know what these blokes get paid , and it ain't nothing like that ....anyways I'm putting the pots in tomorrow makes the excuses to go fishing much easier ( to the boss ) with them prices .

Tight lines !
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
I reckon
Banned

Name the shop if your that confident the dodgy ****ers.

or it is tough titties find out for yourselfs?
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been going on for years mate...shark has been used as any number of fish for decades...sometimes they're honest enough to label it "flake" but other times it's anything from Cod to Flathead to Barra. A good guide is if the size of the fillet you get is way bigger than you would expect from the fish you ordered...whiting fillets and flathead should be long and not real thick or wide, but I've seen a few suspiciously large lumps of thick fish fillets labelled as flathead in places over the years...

Good place in Bundaberg is Grunskies by the river...it's part of the fish markets and has great seafood and a nice view over the Burnett River. Our daughter took us there the other night and it was amazing.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I worked on shark boats out of San Remo in my early days, flake is school shark or gummy shark, what ever you want to call it

Hake is generally sting-ray.

I can also tell the difference, and it does **** you off, I know that in clubs & pubs that the fish will generally be some generic stuff, but what you pay for is what you get.

Unless (and there are no gaurentees here) you are by sea at a fishing port then all fish is frozen. My son is a chef.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is pretty poor, its like getting mutton when you pay for lamb
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

First world problems?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
First world problems?
understand you take peuty, and agree to anextent. However, at is annoying knowing that you are not getting what youve paid for. Its like ordering beef steak and being brought out dog.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Remember this when you vote!!

There will only be imported rubbish soon, and as for catch your own if the greenies get their way we wont even be able to do that.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Dr Jekkyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Remember this when you vote!!

There will only be imported rubbish soon, and as for catch your own if the greenies get their way we wont even be able to do that.
Source?
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekkyl
Source?

Newspapers, TV, radio, going to the marina and seeing NO fishing boats where there used to be hundreds, walking around town and being mugged by greenies who want you to sign petitions to lock up the reef, going to the reef and not being allowed to fish there (or restricted fishing) by GBRMPA and the topic of this thread - people being sold rubbish as Aussie fish.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
First world problems?

Im inclined to agree with you Peuty,the more advanced the country the more advanced the corruption! Only joking, but when business starts to do that stuff (creative fraud) and the gov dont, wont or cant do anything about it, whats it say about this country? Have ya seen how ridiculous food labelling laws are in this country (olive oil,orange juice,made in oz etc)? It makes you wonder wtf is going on man- i think i know, but thats for another thread .

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to many people, a fish is a fish, not to others.

problem is we are being cheated, and its substitution not with local product, but with overseas imports of sometimes such rubbish as Basa (which NO ONE should eat!, if you dont know, its actually a cat fish grown in fish farms in the Mekong river in Vietnam, which is one of the most poluted river in the world)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was actually talking somewhat about this yesterday funnily enough in that I could only tell one species from the other only before they are gutted and filleted but then again I don't eat as much as I would like to.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it annoying how the bastards who own the restuarant are ripping people off whom they're are probably far richer than, the greedy rich..

Seeing as they're aware it's blatant negligence, even if they deny it they're advertising it as something it isn't, despite the labeling/loophole/whatever you want to call it they still have a duty to know what they are selling to their customers.

PM me the name of the restuarant and i'll call the ACCC tomorrow (well tuesday), nothing more despicable greedy trash ripping off honest people who make less than them.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, been ripped off before. I cook seafood myself and buy a whole fish where possible. Someone above mentioned seafood and safeway. Steer clear. I bought a couple of squid tubes a few weeks back and it was so far passed off its not funny.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Fish substitution is illegal in most states (perhaps all - I have not checked)and the Australian fishing industry is usually very keen to see the law enforced as they often lose [dollars and reputation] when cheap imported fish is substituted for more expensive local products.

For NSW see http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/..._takeaways.pdf
Quote:
Seafood substitution is when one species of fish, crustacean or shellfish is sold as another species. Food businesses must ensure the food they sell is safe and properly labelled. Describing food incorrectly is an offence under the Food Act 2003 (NSW).
snip ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seafood substituition and misleading conduct can result
in penalty notices of up to $1320. Repeat or serious
offences can result in court imposed fines of up to
$55,000 for individuals and $275,000 for corporations.
Phone the helpline on 1300 552 406 next time you catch someone out.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Seems like seafood substitution may be legal in Victoria though as they appear to be relying on a voluntary participation code: http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/...d-brand-scheme - The Fish Names and Brand Scheme.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing new about this guys.
Many years ago I managed a seafood wholesale and retail business for a friend while he took a break for a few weeks.
Nearly all the different fish types sold on the cooked battered fish retail section was cuts from big slabs of frozen Halibut imported from UK. It was just cut in the different shapes.
Once large eyed fish like snapper age more than a few days, their eyes sink, so a scale from a larger fish is pushed in under the eye and makes the eye stand out again like a fresh fish and as the stock ages, its just left in brine in the cool room overnight to eliminate slime.
Many restaurants boil Sydney rock cod, add flavouring, and sell it as Lobster in mornay or thermidor dishes. You're hard pressed to tell the difference.
Its all been going on for donkeys years ... and will continue to do so.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I've heard stories of stingray "wings" (the big side flappy things) being cut out with cookie cutter type things and sold as "calamari rings".

Which is why if I was squid, I'll buy the hollowed out squid tubes and cut them up myself.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I've heard stories of stingray "wings" (the big side flappy things) being cut out with cookie cutter type things and sold as "calamari rings".

Which is why if I was squid, I'll buy the hollowed out squid tubes and cut them up myself.
i always thought they were rubber bands in breadcrumbs...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i always thought they were rubber bands in breadcrumbs...
Crumbed shark sphincter.

This labelling is typical of big business (yes Coles and Safeway, I mean you). I want what I expect to get, simple but it just gets harder and harder, partcularly when the cheap stuff is rubbish and the nomal stuff goes up in price. The proliferation of 'home brand' goods will mean it will get harder and harder to identify where your food comes from.

In regard to fish, I don't buy imported and in particular I don't buy Basa from Africa. I recall reading some time ago that the planes fly in guns and fly out with this (awful, bland, tasteless) fish.

I don't need my fish to fly before I eat, a nonsensical use of the planet's resources.

And that goes for Chinese garlic and Peruvian asparagus too.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #25
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
In regard to fish, I don't buy imported and in particular I don't buy Basa from Africa. I recall reading some time ago that the planes fly in guns and fly out with this (awful, bland, tasteless) fish.

I don't need my fish to fly before I eat, a nonsensical use of the planet's resources.
Not sure if this was what you read about - I saw a doco called 'Darwin's Nightmare' (2004) about the introduced Nile Perch coming from Tanzania's Lake Victoria... European arms dealers fly in old soviet Ilyushins, often full of munitions from Western countries which fuel conflict through the region, and fly out the processed fillets to European supermarkets. The impoverished locals can't afford the high-priced fillets and have to subsist on the rotting carcass waste from the factories (the Nile Perch has wiped out pretty much everything else living in the lake). Total social, economic and environmental shambles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_Nightmare

Last edited by chamb0; 11-04-2012 at 12:17 AM.
chamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
Ezz
05 BF XR6T

Unfortunately, unless you go to a decent restaurant on the coast line somewhere, you'll never quite get the real thing... or usually if you do it is not fresh but frozen over days if not weeks.

It does suck, I know what you mean. I often go fishing with my brother in-law down Sorrento in Vic, so we'll often go and get the good stuff our selves and only go to restaurants that we 'know' serve up the good stuff.
340+kW @ the wheels @ 14psi

Brembo 6 Pots / ZF Tune
BIG Thanks to Chris & Theo
BLUEPOWER Racing Development
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
Spudz27
Call me Spud

It is never an issue for me. I hate fish, but love shark and nobody ever lists shark on a menu that I have seen, only the local fish and chip shop. Weird thing is not woolies nor coles have had shark for sale in 6 months now maybe longer and same for the local fish shop, yet they say it is locally caught fish. Plenty of sharks around here, christ my ex boss brought me in some gummy (spelling) steaks he caught just 1k out.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I used to work at an establishment that was mere metres from a river full of barramundi, on their menu was of course barramundi, only problem was it was imported Nile perch.

I used to inform customers of that fact if they ever ordered it lol
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #29
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

All you whingers... complain that things are too expensive and dont buy local produce, then complain that there are cheap imports. Same can be said for the local car industry. Aussies want everything for nothing. We all seem to forget that there are millions of people in the world prepared to work alot harder than you for less. Remember this next time you complain about your job... soon you may not have one.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread

Last edited by flappist; 10-04-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: do not avoid the sweat filter
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
All you whingers... complain that things are too expensive and dont buy local produce, then complain that there are cheap imports. Same can be said for the local car industry. Aussies want everything for nothing. We all seem to forget that there are millions of people in the world prepared to work alot harder than you for less. Remember this next time you complain about your job... soon you may not have one.
I think you've missed the point here.

It's not about paying too much for local produce it's about getting what you paid for.

It's disingenuous.

Last edited by flappist; 10-04-2012 at 10:40 AM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post