Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
GTP290

Default New Holden adds-sign of desperation?

Just wondering what everyone is thinking of the new Holden adds, especially the ones of the Commodores? They are getting a thrashing, infact as I type this the Holden ute add came on the box!

I know Holden have a far superior marketing team to anyone else, and now its well documented the Commodore is playing second fiddle to the FG falcon by all reviews is this a sign of desperation, especially as they are rellying on "emotional" selling tactics which the masses seem to be drawn to.

Old 29-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Scott

Holdens go better. Great slogan.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The adds dont do much for me, too much of that dreamy feeling and the crap banjo tunes dont help too much. To say "go better" is a bit of a joke, ok the cars might be half decent but they arent the best thing since sliced bread
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

They are only upping the ante in anticipation of the FG going on sale within the next two weeks....... although one does wonder what type of advertising campaign FORD will engage when they actually go on sale and would be looking forward to at least one from FPV as well!!!!!

Guess we willl just have to wait and see
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #5
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTIV8
They are only upping the ante in anticipation of the FG going on sale within the next two weeks....... although one does wonder what type of advertising campaign FORD will engage when they actually go on sale and would be looking forward to at least one from FPV as well!!!!!

Ford go Better-er
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Ford go Better-er
Or in line withe the Game Over, Game on New Game thing

holden "Go Better"
Ford "Go Best"
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTIV8

Ford doesnt have to hype up its add to compete with Holden,s desperate ploy at advertising, the FG speaks for itself. It will out sell Holden, and guess what, the Fg doesnt change color or shape, like Holden depicts in there add,s.hmmmm... :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
Wally
XP Coupe

Are you kidding? What is an FG and why would Holden be worried about a new Falcon? Magazine reviews don't buy cars, people do and the majority of those refer to TV ads.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
GTP290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Are you kidding? What is an FG and why would Holden be worried about a new Falcon? Magazine reviews don't buy cars, people do and the majority of those refer to TV ads.
Well they would be worried, because Ford have a superior product its cheaper, handles better, has a better gearbox, more powerfull and more economical and safer, no reasons to worry :
Old 29-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Wally
XP Coupe

How do you know this? Have you had a VE to drive around in for a week or so? Have you simiiarly had an FG to test drive?
Old 29-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #11
GTP290

Quote:
How do you know this? Have you had a VE to drive around in for a week or so? Have you simiiarly had an FG to test drive?
I read the reviews, at drive.com, and yes I have driven a VE commodore.
Old 29-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Yeah sure you have and before you hopped in you were determined to be annoyed with it.

Deadman couldn't have put it more succinctly.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
I've just had an VE for 8 days over in tassie.

Good Points
- Handling
-

Bad Points
- Crap A-pillar, too thick
- Cruise Control
- Engine/ gearbox
- Crap ergonomics
- Cheap feel interior
- Looks

I had a poverty Omega and not being biased but my old 99 VCT Fairlane drives better and seems to have more power when overtaking,more comfort for sitting and handled a bit better. Thats a car thats almost 10 years old compared to near new with 16k on the clock. The cruise contol on the base car omegas is almost dangerous when driving in hilly country as the thing keeps kickin' back gears cause the engine doesn't have the torque to get the VE up hills : , and when decending hills the car builds up speed with cruise on. I had it set for 105km/h and by the bottom of the hill I was doing 130km/h :togo: , my old lane always stays around what it's set on. Obviously the V8 and maybe the 195kw version would do better but poverty pack is quite lame.

I'm Quite keen to grab a FG when it comes out for a comparo, but I'm sure the engine/gearbox/cruise set-up will be quite superior.
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965

Good Points
- Handling
-

Bad Points
- Cruise Control
- Engine/ gearbox
- Crap ergonomics
- Cheap feel interior
- Looks

I had a poverty Omega and not being biased but my old 99 VCT Fairlane drives better and seems to have more power when overtaking,more comfort for sitting and handled a bit better. Thats a car thats almost 10 years old compared to near new with 16k on the clock. The cruise contol on the base car omegas is almost dangerous when driving in hilly country as the thing keeps kickin' back gears cause the engine doesn't have the torque to get the VE up hills : , and when decending hills the car builds up speed with cruise on. I had it set for 105km/h and by the bottom of the hill I was doing 130km/h :togo: , my old lane always stays around what it's set on. Obviously the V8 and maybe the 195kw version would do better but poverty pack is quite lame.

I'm Quite keen to grab a FG when it comes out for a comparo, but I'm sure the engine/gearbox/cruise set-up will be quite superior.
When I went out looking for a replacement car I visited both Ford and Holden. The Ford sales reps acted like they couldn't give a hoot, but I did get to assess the Ghia. Things like the ABS plastic door trim, the poorly integrated centre controls, etc were a turn off for me. I assumed the power train would be reliable, but friends who owned Falcons gave me some tacit warnings. When I looked at the shape I saw 10 year old with cosmetics, when I look at the FG pictures I see the same, although they have taken some design cues from the VE to piggyback it's success.

Next stop was the Holden dealership where the reps were more upbeat and confident. They gave me a Berlina to try for the afternoon and I must say I didn't like the six after coming from the eight; the engine was noisy, the tranny jerky and the body roll excessive... it just didn't sit right for my liking... more like a Toyota. Not wanting to lose a sale they organised a V8 for me within a couple days to test and it behaved like an entirely different vehicle compared to the six.

So pretty soon I'll be on the hunt for yet another new car and I'll probably go into the Ford dealerships and once again listen to the cheaply dressed snots bagging out Holden instead of expousing the Falcon virtues. I'll go to Holden where they will give a cup of tea and biscuits while I play vrrrm vrrrms behind the wheel and the rep will ring me a day later to say he is in the area with the boss' new model and would I like to take it for a spin. Then I'll go to Toyota to look at a sensible car with absolutely no character, no raw edges, no risk of the tranny exploding and I'll last about five minutes before that peculiar madness of being trapped in a nerd's nest besets me.

I think I might just have a midlife crisis and buy a Porsche this time. But that LS3 does look inviting.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
hypnodoc
Its All In Your Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965

Good Points
- Handling
-

Bad Points
- Cruise Control
- Engine/ gearbox
- Crap ergonomics
- Cheap feel interior
- Looks

Agree 100%. I had an Avis SV6 for 10 days and drove from Melb to Lockhart so it got a good open road run, the only thing you got wrong was handling. The car had good straight line stability but cornering left a bit to be desired

Xtreme Tuned: 375 RwKw (502 RwHp) & 820 Nm:
Whhooooooosssssssshhhhhh
HSV HUNTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BA Phoons 013 and 333 Gone
hypnodoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp 2003
Well they would be worried, because Ford have a superior product its cheaper, handles better, has a better gearbox, more powerfull and more economical and safer, no reasons to worry :
Hasn't worried them for years.

The Carolla has had far superior competitors for years to - does Toyota look worried?

Until Ford develop a marketing department, they can't expect the FG to outsell the VE, no matter how superior it is.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #17
mikestp
EF Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Hasn't worried them for years.

The Carolla has had far superior competitors for years to - does Toyota look worried?

Until Ford develop a marketing department, they can't expect the FG to outsell the VE, no matter how superior it is.
but corollas are completely indestrucable/bullet proof/female proof whatever
there aint a small car that will top a corolla for that.
if the diff was at the right end id get one
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
DeansXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Exactly, holden market their gear very well, they start when the kids are young and it seems to still stick years later. They're very good at putting the holden brand into peoples heads.
they, as everyone is sorta getting at probably not all that concerned.
DeansXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It may be a better drive to the Commodore, but how does this apply if the public are not going to buy it?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Which, sadly, has very little to do with actually selling a car.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
Need_a_V8

Quote:
You honestly think that if holden are worried, all they have are adverts? They have DOD this year for the V8, the 6L in the base holdens can easily make 300kw without being pushed and over 330 for the HSV LS3. They have direct injection engines ready with includes large fuel savings and power upgrades. The VF is right around the corner (first quarter 09 at the latest) and with it there goes the 4 speed auto, omega and berlina get 5 speed. There is alot left in holdens arsenal, so I really don't think some adverts are a sign of worry just yet.

Ford need to push 3 things! 1.) The 6 speed automatic transmission which makes a mockery of the Holden auto's. 2.) Fuel economy (before the Holden goes direct injection) 3.) The turbo 6 (the ford V8 is now obsolete as far as I am concerned until we get the new BOSS/Hurricane).
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #22
rodderz

I think the ad is a near perfect example of what Ford should be doing

The ad covers the whole model range, and gives a look of a bit of everything and ties the range together as a brand. Nevermind which is the better car, they have advertised a heap of models in one ad and people see it

Some ads end up trying to be too fancy and airy fairy with insane close ups and you forget what the hell they are supposed to be advertising
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #23
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Holden are telling the sheep what they want to hear...simple as that
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Excellent ads. Most of their products are dodgy imports, yet they give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about 'their family' of cars. Well done whoever makes the ads. Theres no desperation there, just a well timed marketing campaign. Holden are king of spoiling their competitors parties.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #25
GTP290

I never bagged the car, just stated what i read in a review, time will tell if the FG will make an impact and ofcourse I hope it does, as Holden fans hope it will be a flop. Signs are looking good so far and Holden are playing a lot of new adds, so there is a feeling of anxiety in the red camp no doubt.
Old 30-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #26
GTP290

well if no one buys it you cant say its not through a lack of trying thats for sure
Old 30-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #27
honer
Back to N/A land

"Holdens go Better" reminds me of something some punk kid in a VS Ecotech with a clubsport kit would say to a passing XR8
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
BadMac
I still have both eyes

The sad thing is that these are actually the Ford FG adds, the ford marketing people have just used the wrong pics, again. After those launch shots they decided to use the Holden contractor to take shots that actually made the car look good. The contractor sent the wrong pics, but Ford marketing didn't notice. [just trying to lighten the place up a little].

Oh and arguably (there has been plenty of arguement over the years) the BA/BF was superior to VY/VZ yet Holden sold more, why is FG being superior to VE going to change the numbers at the coal front?

Last edited by BadMac; 30-04-2008 at 09:07 AM.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #29
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

Angry

Yes i have had a gut full of holden stealing the show on all things ford. but Ford really LACK advertising and it's really ****en mi off. I mean the FG is released 2morrow and there's nothing 2day about " new falcon " paper, TV, whatnot. I know holden had adds 4 the VE on TV, On billboards, On some chicks a r s e, ect, before it was even released! For F U C K sake ford you had better pull your finger out of that tight of yours. ( yes i maybe a newer poster but i have an opinion to ) :
TERMINATOR X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #30
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

the other problem i really got agianst Holden adverts at the monent is they are going very american, ie instead of selling there product they pretty much make and ad bagging out the territories, coz it doesnt have a diesel option yet. sell your product all you like just dont make ads crapping on bout how crap a different product is

and i also want to know with holden ute ad "evolution ends here" are they not making any more utes now??? maybe not the best slogan ever i think.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post