Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Day-mow
rexnet

Default mechanic troubles.

so i just got my car back from the mechanic (west performance auto- Coro Valley) and i got a bill for just under $600.
i explained i was having issues with the ABS light coming on and i asked if this could be looked at. he said the FLS wheel bearing was dead and needed replacing. i said fair enough sounds important and he explained this also may of been the case for my ABS sensor not working. $119.55 for repco wheel bearing

i was also contacted about a few other things that needed repalcing.

-the hose on my rocket cover on the rear to the TB intake was coming off i was asked if that wanted to be replaced and had a Right angle bend put init to prevent this. i said ok to that it sounded important. $13.64 in parts

-apparently windscreen wipers where so stuffed and they didn't get replaced last service and they badley needed replacing (even tho i had done them at the start of winter) and so i said that was ok just to stop him from winging. each wiper was $16.60 ($33.21 total). im pretty sure their like half that from auto barn

-was charged $45 for use of diagnostic tool to sus out the ABS fault. could my X3SCT tuner have done this?

-5Lt of 15w40 oil was put in @ $36.15. ryco filter $9.05
unsure if this is synthectic but the service manual suggest a 10w30 can i take this back to him and get him to put a different oil in or do i just cop it on the chin?

-enviroment waste levy- $18.14

-Clean my K&N air filter was $16.59 (should of told him it didn't need doing cos its new)

-Injcector and fuel system cleaner -$15.91 does this stuff even work on fords???

-engine flush and conditioner as requested by me because there was a heap of sluge in my rocker cover. i would of done this my self but i figured seeing as there was a service coming up there would of been no point in doing it and then have the mech dump all my nice oil on me
-$16.32

labour total 220.63

was also told my rear RHS wheel is buckled. havn't had a proper look but bob jayne never said anything about this when i got tyres put on last week. but this probably needs looking into.

also suspects the diff pinion bearing is very close to being dead. he said its probably worth just getting a new diff. oh no we need to do a diff bring it in sometime. but it will be a pretty costly exercise and its probably to far past using an additive.

service total 599.10

is this legitimate or have i been given a run. i had to call dad to pay for it because i didn't have enough $$$ so blessed to have amazing parents but at the moment im pretty unhappy about the whole situ.

thanks for the thoughts/feedback.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Are the old just one more thing ploy.
Did you ask for a quote for the ABS light coming on?

I make up my mind before I take the car to be looked at/fixed how much I am prepared to have done. Now I am no mechanic so if was me and my car I would have got at least to quotes to fix what they reckon is working.
I reckon in your case they could have left undone:

- the hose on the rocket cover on the rear

- the windscreen wipers

- 5Lt of 15w40 oil and therefore the environment waste levy

- Cleaning the K&N air filter

- Injector and fuel system cleaner

Most of the above you can do your self or again get some quotes to get it done.

Labour is a killer of course, as can be seen by your story it doesn't take long for a bill to run up. Find a good, fair mechanic and stick with them ( and let everyone know on the forums if you find one )

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Day-mow
rexnet

yeah i could of done that stuff all my self forsure. but i thought i'd get a logbook service done for peace of mind to the next person who has the car.

altho that being said he didn't even look @ the service book and didn't stamp it. i was pretty unhappy when i checked it and it was blank

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 23-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
yeah i could of done that stuff all my self forsure. but i thought i'd get a logbook service done for peace of mind to the next person who has the car.

altho that being said he didn't even look @ the service book and didn't stamp it. i was pretty unhappy when i checked it and it was blank
This is more evidence to show that this bloke did not have you best interests in mind. This bloke is a shark

If you want a decent mechanic down south, call me and I will forward you some numbers.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
JaguarDave

Quote:
i thought i'd get a logbook service done for peace of mind to the next person who has the car.

Just leave a copy of the paid invoice in the logbook, that should amply satisfy the next owner that the service was done. Alternatively, if it really worries you, you could simply return and nicely ask the mechanic to place his stamp in your book, surely that's an option here?

A six hundred dollar bill for work to a car that needed more than the ordinary oil change and checkover is nothing and from what I see you weren't screwed, you sent the car in to be fully serviced and that's what they did ie. they replaced the things they thought needed replacing which is what you were employing them to do.

$220 is how many hour's labour, two to three? Sounds fair to me, as do the parts prices.

As for cleaning your air cleaner, well they won't know when it was last cleaned and since you likely won't be wanting it replaced with the proper paper filter that they would normally fit as part of a service what choice do they have other than to clean it to ensure it lasts the next service interval?

If you are really worried about the cost of things, don't ask for a car to be "serviced", work out what specific jobs you want done, ask for a quote on them and book it in only for those specific jobs.
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My reply in red

so i just got my car back from the mechanic (west performance auto- Coro Valley) and i got a bill for just under $600.
i explained i was having issues with the ABS light coming on and i asked if this could be looked at. he said the FLS wheel bearing was dead and needed replacing. i said fair enough sounds important and he explained this also may of been the case for my ABS sensor not working. $119.55 for repco wheel bearing

First of all, its rare wheel bearings need doing on AU's as they are a sealed unit. Not like the wheel bearings of earlier models. I have checked what the cost is for replacement of sealed wheel bearing units and they are over $200. Sounds to me like he has swindled you here.

-the hose on my rocket cover on the rear to the TB intake was coming off i was asked if that wanted to be replaced and had a Right angle bend put init to prevent this. i said ok to that it sounded important. $13.64 in parts

This is subjective. I would have personally wanted to see the unit firsthand prior to allowing him to work further on the car.

-apparently windscreen wipers where so stuffed and they didn't get replaced last service and they badley needed replacing (even tho i had done them at the start of winter) and so i said that was ok just to stop him from winging. each wiper was $16.60 ($33.21 total). im pretty sure their like half that from auto barn

This to me is a blatant rip off excuse to swindle you out of more cash. A typical way of extracting more cash out of someone who may not know better. Considering you had them replaced only 6 months ago, what he told you is total crap. $16 per blade? wtf? more like $5 from autobarn. Sorry but you got bent over there

-was charged $45 for use of diagnostic tool to sus out the ABS fault. could my X3SCT tuner have done this?

Doubtful the SCT had anything to do with the ABS. If hit hasnt happened before with the SCT, its got nothing to with it. An ABS fault code could be a few things. I would have got a second opinion.

unsure if this is synthectic but the service manual suggest a 10w30 can i take this back to him and get him to put a different oil in or do i just cop it on the chin?

The cost of this is about right. Doubtful that its synthetic being that price. 15w40 shouldn't be used unless your engine is a high miler. Sounds a tad thick to me, but wouldn't let it worry you, unless the car is running differently with it. Stick with manufacturers recommendations otherwise.

Standard issue fee and but normally included in standard service cost.

-Clean my K&N air filter was $16.59 (should of told him it didn't need doing cos its new)

If your filter was new, this is an obvious ploy to extract more cash from someone unknowing. What a croc of crap. If he is worth his weight in salt, he would have washed the filter out under running water thoroughly & used the recommended cleaning agent and oil. He would have needed 2-3 hours to dry the filter out prior to re-oiling and refitting the filter. The K&N filters can be used up to 20,000km before needing a clean without it hampering performance. Can this be proven? Unlikely.

-Injcector and fuel system cleaner -$15.91 does this stuff even work on fords???

wtf? how did he do this I wonder? put a cap of metho in the fuel tank? Just say its done and bobs ya uncle? pig's bum. If you wanted to have fuel system cleaned, a bottle of nulon injector cleaner in fuel tank would have sufficed. You could have done this at anytime. Plus the diagnostics check would have picked up any fault in the fuel system in the first place. Again, a doubtful scenario.

-engine flush and conditioner as requested by me because there was a heap of sluge in my rocker cover. i would of done this my self but i figured seeing as there was a service coming up there would of been no point in doing it and then have the mech dump all my nice oil on me
-$16.32

If you asked for this, then fair enough. The cost is about right.

labour total 220.63

With all the added extras he added onto the bill, the labor cost would have definitely reached this amount. But he has also padded the parts cost too, so he isn't losing.

was also told my rear RHS wheel is buckled. havn't had a proper look but bob jayne never said anything about this when i got tyres put on last week. but this probably needs looking into.

wheel buckled??? Sounds like scare tactics to me. Again, a second opinion is required. Could be wheel out of balance. But if it was recently checked, probably doubtful. Again second opinion required.

also suspects the diff pinion bearing is very close to being dead. he said its probably worth just getting a new diff. oh no we need to do a diff bring it in sometime. but it will be a pretty costly exercise and its probably to far past using an additive.

My diff pinion bearing has been a bit noisey for months. I still have to do something about it. But it hasn't collapsed. Not saying it will. But generally the AU carrier bearings are cheap chinese bearings that Ford used from factory. Unless it becomes unbearingly noisy, I'd leave it.

Diff

service total 599.10

is this legitimate or have i been given a run. i had to call dad to pay for it because i didn't have enough $$$ so blessed to have amazing parents but at the moment im pretty unhappy about the whole situ.

My guess is, at most, he should have charged you $350 at the most in total if you take off the unnecessary items like wiper blades, rubber hoses, diagnostics, 'wheel bearing' etc. Unfortunately, I think you are best off learning from this lesson. Sadly this person has exploited your inexperience in this. Doubt you will see any cash back. These small time cowboys are the ones you need to watch out for. If you are ever asked if you want stuff done, just tell them to leave it for now and get a second opinion straight away. Otherwise call me and I can recommend you some more reputable mechanics that know fords without providing you with the 'rip off' factor.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Mine in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
My reply in red

First of all, its rare wheel bearings need doing on AU's as they are a sealed unit. Not like the wheel bearings of earlier models. I have checked what the cost is for replacement of sealed wheel bearing units and they are over $200. Sounds to me like he has swindled you here.

My cost for a sealed hub for a Falcon is about $80. Have come down considerably in last 18 months. His pricing seems to exclude labour, which is tallied as a stand alone cost. However, easy to disprove, remove wheel and look at hub. A new one stands out like dogs!

This is subjective. I would have personally wanted to see the unit firsthand prior to allowing him to work further on the car.

Just coming off? could it have been secured using a cable tie? That said, any air in after the filter can be devastating to an engine, so for $14, cheap peace of mind!

This to me is a blatant rip off excuse to swindle you out of more cash. A typical way of extracting more cash out of someone who may not know better. Considering you had them replaced only 6 months ago, what he told you is total crap. $16 per blade? wtf? more like $5 from autobarn. Sorry but you got bent over there

I doubt they just replaced the insert for that cost. My car, 100k old has wanted for the wiper insert replacing as it flops left to right with the motion of the wipers. Still works ok, but annoying. Again, easy to check. I used to replace wipers on every service as a complimentary part of service, also wash car and wash ashtray and add a smelly tree. If you got $32 for a pair of inserts, not good!

Doubtful the SCT had anything to do with the ABS. If hit hasnt happened before with the SCT, its got nothing to with it. An ABS fault code could be a few things. I would have got a second opinion.

$45 for diagnostics is fine. Did they find anything? Blueoval, remember, to get a second opinion, first you must get a 1st opinion.

The cost of this is about right. Doubtful that its synthetic being that price. 15w40 shouldn't be used unless your engine is a high miler. Sounds a tad thick to me, but wouldn't let it worry you, unless the car is running differently with it. Stick with manufacturers recommendations otherwise.

Oil and filter pricing is fine. Manufacturers recomendations are best, but change with conditions. Age of car, and wear upon motor. Listed sludge suggests at some time oil life has been extended severely, meaning that wear is likely, and therefore thicker oil not an issue. That said, oil viscosity (the 15W40 bit) is what the oils safe working parameters are in regards to thickness. That means that the difference between a 15 W40 and a 10W30 would be negligible accept in extreme hot times. Don't stress.

Standard issue fee and but normally included in standard service cost.

All workshops use this and we accept it. In Queensland, a business doesn't get slugged a fee as this fee's name suggests. Its a subjective charge, and seems higher than industry standard.

If your filter was new, this is an obvious ploy to extract more cash from someone unknowing. What a croc of crap. If he is worth his weight in salt, he would have washed the filter out under running water thoroughly & used the recommended cleaning agent and oil. He would have needed 2-3 hours to dry the filter out prior to re-oiling and refitting the filter. The K&N filters can be used up to 20,000km before needing a clean without it hampering performance. Can this be proven? Unlikely.

Its new? How new? Filters get dirty, dependent upon conditions. That said, if it was cleaned, why the charge. I understand from your description labour was itemized separately. What was the $16 for?

wtf? how did he do this I wonder? put a cap of metho in the fuel tank? Just say its done and bobs ya uncle? pig's bum. If you wanted to have fuel system cleaned, a bottle of nulon injector cleaner in fuel tank would have sufficed. You could have done this at anytime. Plus the diagnostics check would have picked up any fault in the fuel system in the first place. Again, a doubtful scenario.

He would have added a Nulon or Wynns additive to the tank. I think all additives are a WOFTAM. Use good clean fuel from a hi turnover bowser, and spring for some 98ron once in a while. All my car has had in 170k now!

-$16.32

If you asked for this, then fair enough. The cost is about right.

I am happy enough with this.

labour total 220.63

With all the added extras he added onto the bill, the labor cost would have definitely reached this amount. But he has also padded the parts cost too, so he isn't losing.

wheel buckled??? Sounds like scare tactics to me. Again, a second opinion is required. Could be wheel out of balance. But if it was recently checked, probably doubtful. Again second opinion required.

Jack up and check. Perhaps missed at tyre shop because wheel is ok, but axle bent. Again, easy to disprove.

My diff pinion bearing has been a bit noisey for months. I still have to do something about it. But it hasn't collapsed. Not saying it will. But generally the AU carrier bearings are cheap chinese bearings that Ford used from factory. Unless it becomes unbearingly noisy, I'd leave it.

If its on the way out, so be it. save aside some cash for when it goes, and don't stress about it too much. Just Kodak it (let it develop) Replace complete unit when it does go.

Diff

service total 599.10

My guess is, at most, he should have charged you $350 at the most in total if you take off the unnecessary items like wiper blades, rubber hoses, diagnostics, 'wheel bearing' etc. Unfortunately, I think you are best off learning from this lesson. Sadly this person has exploited your inexperience in this. Doubt you will see any cash back. These small time cowboys are the ones you need to watch out for. If you are ever asked if you want stuff done, just tell them to leave it for now and get a second opinion straight away. Otherwise call me and I can recommend you some more reputable mechanics that know fords without providing you with the 'rip off' factor.
Your service costs what it costs. If you got what was listed, the pricing was fair for the most.

I do have some tips for you however.

Get a sticker made up for your Airbox lid saying DO NOT SERVICE! and to save a few bob, take your own oil. The oil used probably didn't cost more than $3.00 ( and as little as $1.00) so take your own bottle. You get it cheaper and can choose your own brand and quality, both things are great positives for your engine.

Find a Mechanic you can trust stick with them. They have a bad rap, but a good one is gold.

Anyone been to the dentists lately!

MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Mine in blue

Your service costs what it costs. If you got what was listed, the pricing was fair for the most.

I do have some tips for you however.

Get a sticker made up for your Airbox lid saying DO NOT SERVICE! and to save a few bob, take your own oil. The oil used probably didn't cost more than $3.00 ( and as little as $1.00) so take your own bottle. You get it cheaper and can choose your own brand and quality, both things are great positives for your engine.

Find a Mechanic you can trust stick with them. They have a bad rap, but a good one is gold.

Anyone been to the dentists lately!

appreciate you input. its all pretty valid i guess i just dont know heaps and thought it would be less and kinda hoped to get a end total out.

Old 23-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

yeah cheers shav.
i think from now on im going to get my bosses bro inlaw (who is an X ford Mech and worked for ford from apprentice ship for 10+ yrs to service my car. may as well give him the money and he wont have a hidden agenda and i'll get parts from my parts boy mate. it just sucks that this has happened and i had to call dad to help me out. while im grateful that he did it makes me still feel like a child. not a 21 Y.O

Roger west performance auto will not see "daisy" again.

Old 23-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
yeah cheers shav.
i think from now on im going to get my bosses bro inlaw (who is an X ford Mech and worked for ford from apprentice ship for 10+ yrs to service my car. may as well give him the money and he wont have a hidden agenda and i'll get parts from my parts boy mate. it just sucks that this has happened and i had to call dad to help me out. while im grateful that he did it makes me still feel like a child. not a 21 Y.O

Rogered by west performance auto will not see "daisy" again.
Fixed

Its always best to give your car to someone you can trust. I tend to meet the person up front and see who I am dealing with first prior to handing over the keys. That way I can usually gauge and distinguish what type of person they are first off.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

my boss has used him for years and only speaks good things of westy but im not keen. appreciate your opinion.

Old 23-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

wheel bearings do fail on AU's we had to replace 1 last week and it was also trigering an ABS code

Did he put on new wiper heads or just the rubbers?, if rubbers it sounds a bit pricey but some brands are dearer than others.

No the X3 will not check or clear ABS codes

No it will not be synthetic oil at that price, but a quick look on Castrols web site list 10/40 or 15/40 motor oil for the AU

Some shops do charge the environment levy as they have to pay for oil and used oil filters to be taken away.

K&N's require cleaning based on how dirty they get not by mileage, some areas may require a filter to be cleaned every 5000 klms

Most those fuel cleaners you add to the tank are a waste of time and no, not all injector faults will show on a scan tool

A wheel can have some run out (buckled) but still balance up ok

If he has done this work with out your authorisation, there is a major problem, if you agreed, there is probably not much you can do except not go back there again. If you agreed you should queried the price before hand.

No body on the forum is going to kow exactly to whether your car needed this work, only you and your mechanic.

Good luck with it

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
wheel bearings do fail on AU's we had to replace 1 last week and it was also trigering an ABS code

Did he put on new wiper heads or just the rubbers?, if rubbers it sounds a bit pricey but some brands are dearer than others.

No the X3 will not check or clear ABS codes

No it will not be synthetic oil at that price, but a quick look on Castrols web site list 10/40 or 15/40 motor oil for the AU

Some shops do charge the environment levy as they have to pay for oil and used oil filters to be taken away.

K&N's require cleaning based on how dirty they get not by mileage, some areas may require a filter to be cleaned every 5000 klms

Most those fuel cleaners you add to the tank are a waste of time and no, not all injector faults will show on a scan tool

A wheel can have some run out (buckled) but still balance up ok

If he has done this work with out your authorisation, there is a major problem, if you agreed, there is probably not much you can do except not go back there again. If you agreed you should queried the price before hand.

No body on the forum is going to kow exactly to whether your car needed this work, only you and your mechanic.

Good luck with it

I think you hit the nail on the head there ratter. Comes down to whether or not Day-mow agreed to this prior to handing over the cash. That being said, the 'work' done is still questionable.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Recommendations by people are hard to judge. That's why its best to meet with the person up front and show them what needs to be done prior to approving the job to be started. You can usually ask them what they charge and what you want done.

Doesn't matter now. Just means you more are aware of cash hungry sharks out there.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

Oh and forgot to add dte was pretty low when I picked the car up. Guessing he was pretty throttle happy :/

Old 23-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Oh and forgot to add dte was pretty low when I picked the car up. Guessing he was pretty throttle happy :/
You see, that would just P*** me right off knowing that. This guy could not give 2 stuffs about you regardless of what recommendation your boss gave. A serious lack of respect.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #17
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
You see, that would just P*** me right off knowing that. This guy could not give 2 stuffs about you regardless of what recommendation your boss gave. A serious lack of respect.

I think the lack of respect is from the OP on this occassion
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #18
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351
I think the lack of respect is from the OP on this occassion

In life we can go through life assisting those who need help. Sometimes that means physical help, sometimes emotional, sometimes advice. Now and again it also means bringing them to see the error of their ways. This is what some people choose to do.

Some people go about it all high an mighty and do nothing but get someones back up!

While others seem to coast through life only thinking about themselves.

Which one are you?

I am member of the 1st group.
In a "lets see if I can help you see the error of their ways" moment, I will show you how I do it.

nt0351, Firstly, he had advice from his Dad suggesting this repairer was acceptable, not his boss. So perhaps you weren't reading the posts with an open mind, or at the least, certainly could have missed some 'stuff'.

The OP has come to the realization that perhaps it wasn't too expensive and that perhaps there was some shock in the initial post, having copped a $600 bill he wasn't prepared for.

Any how, onto you.

Any sort of a boss wouldn't have one iota of care to know what a 21yo boy had to say on a forum, they are more concerned with what is happening with their business. So your threats to sack people like this are worthless, because a business owner who focuses on such inane drivel is headed for unemployment himself!

My advice to any perspective staff you may or may not have.
It's time to be moving on!
Old 25-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
JaguarDave

Quote:
Some people go about it all high an mighty and do nothing but get someones back up!

nt0351, Firstly, he had advice from his Dad suggesting this repairer was acceptable, not his boss. So perhaps you weren't reading the posts with an open mind, or at the least, certainly could have missed some 'stuff'.
Quote:
my boss has used him for years and only speaks good things of westy but im not keen. appreciate your opinion.
You might be trying to help as you said but trying just a little too hard to find fault with other people's quite reasonable points might indicate there is more than one mind that has closed.

We all have opinions one way or the other regarding the original poster's reaction to his bill and just because some of us do not sugar coat them does not make them less valid.
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #20
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
yes he may have driven it hard but it could have been done form the car idling in the workshop

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
yes he may have driven it hard but it could have been done form the car idling in the workshop

Times ten!

The amount of times I have been asked. I would make a point of assessing the kilometers of a car with the customer at drop off and the car was never driven off the premises by anyone but myself, and only ever with the customers permission.

Park your car in the carpark and run it for ten minutes and look what it does to your DTE!
Old 23-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

also, id remove the company name from this thread... i know your trying to ward others off and stick it to them, but if it gets back to him, regardless of how you feel you were treated, youre liable to be sued...

;)
Old 23-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #23
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

It's all a learning experience mate.

The last time I had my car serviced I ended up forking out around $900. I got the major service they offered, then when they called me up on the day after they had gone over my car they said I needed a new radiator (which I suspected beforehand), a couple of things to do with the steering, labour, scan tool costs etc etc.

I have my car booked in for another service tomorrow and i've told the shop that they are to do the service and no more. Every mechanic should give you a list of things on the invoice that may need attention in the near future.

Look these over when you get home and decide when and if you want the items looked at or fixed and book in a new day to do it.

This is what I will be doing from now on.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Mechanic troubles

Day-mow, i would be 100% ringing Dept of Fair Trading in your state for their opinion on the logbook not getting stamped. Get their opinion then get back to place who done the work and tell em they forgot to stamp the logbook. If you asked for a logbook service and the logbook wasnt stamped could it be a breach/break of contract? After all, thats why you went there in the first place right? Ring DoFT and get their opinion mate. Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers Maka
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
Day-mow
rexnet

I might do that thanks mate.

I Ok'd the bearing replacement of 150 so I was guessing about $400 ish I was pretty dossapointed when I rocked up to pick up my car and got dropped with $600.
So in that extent I was disappointed that I wasnt advised it would be this much.
Partially my fault partially not my fault.

Old 23-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd say everything he did is at a fair price. You are the one that OK'd the extra work without finding out cost - no good complaining about it now.

Nothing in the charges you have posted up raises a red flag.

BTW, my LHS wheel bearing is woosh, woosh, wooshing, so just ordered a pair from eBay at $120 the pair, and will install them myself. What he charged you for the part is about right (eBay ranges from $60 each up to around $150 each).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'd say everything he did is at a fair price. You are the one that OK'd the extra work without finding out cost - no good complaining about it now.
the thing that i guess i didn't know what to do is i asked roughly what he thought it would come to and he had no idea. so i didn't know what to expect.
all i can say is im thankful my parents are good with money.

Old 24-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #28
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
the thing that i guess i didn't know what to do is i asked roughly what he thought it would come to and he had no idea. so i didn't know what to expect.
all i can say is im thankful my parents are good with money.

Mum and Dad rocks!
Old 24-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #29
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Rep points for

Blueoval for offering an insightful reply. Only thing is you mentioned the importance of a face to face to judge someone, yet some of your posts are judgmental of workshop without having given them the chance!

JC because he is rarely wrong, level headed and giving to this community for a million miles! Nice one Mate

Ratter because he adds real world Dealership input. Rarely does a sponsor have as much input as Ratter. Why? Because he is one of us, trying to sell cars rather than a car salesman trying to be one of us!

Day-mow's Parents, because Mum and Dad are there to bail us out when we get in a jam! I think, with a nic like Day-mow, dropping around and mowing the lawn at home would be a nice thanks! (mum might spring for lunch) lol
Old 24-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Rep points for

Blueoval for offering an insightful reply. Only thing is you mentioned the importance of a face to face to judge someone, yet some of your posts are judgmental of workshop without having given them the chance!

JC because he is rarely wrong, level headed and giving to this community for a million miles! Nice one Mate

Ratter because he adds real world Dealership input. Rarely does a sponsor have as much input as Ratter. Why? Because he is one of us, trying to sell cars rather than a car salesman trying to be one of us!

Day-mow's Parents, because Mum and Dad are there to bail us out when we get in a jam! I think, with a nic like Day-mow, dropping around and mowing the lawn at home would be a nice thanks! (mum might spring for lunch) lol
Thanks Mike. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and probably judge unfairly as in this instance. What you say is true. But I guess I do things differently to this young fella. Im probably what you call a fastidious, suspicious and skeptical customer in the way of making sure the person touching my car is trustworthy enough. I've been burnt in the past as well and I guess its just a sensitive area for me. That being said, asking the question of cost prior to approving such work is a given for any person. Something Day-mow has learned from in this regard.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont