Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The "2nd Hand" debate

I'll start out by saying that over the years, I have mostly bought new, including my Fords. The last 3 cars I bought including two Fords(until this week) were all new (not including those bought for my kids.)

I read this dismissive often in this forum "oh you only buy 2nd hand, you don't count."

I REJECT this argument completely, on two counts.

Firstly, a person who buys a Ford 2nd-hand is not any less of a Ford lover. From now on, if somebody buys a GT, should they be dismissed becuase their car isn't new??? In point of fact I would argue that somebody who has owned a string of 2nd hand Falcons is a BIGGER Ford Lover than somebody who wanders between brands of new cars.

Secondly, economically and logically, the argument is fatally flawed.
Imagine what would happen if it suddenly became illegal to buy 2nd-hand cars. Yes, more people would buy new Gheelys, but since your new car becomes worthless you would have to hang onto it a lot longer. Your ability to so proudly buy a new Ford every year would disappear, unless you literally had more dollars than brain cells. Even taking away such an actual bar, one of the fundamental problems up to now has been that not ENOUGH people want 2nd hand Falcons. The reason that fleet sales have fallen in the toilet is NOT that THEY don't want Falcons or 'large cars," its that nobody else wants them 2nd hand and so the total cost of ownership over two years is too high because after two years and 100kk their cars aren't worth a cracker. So they either buy Toyotas & Mazdas (which seem to almost appreciate in value) or they buy cars that are much cheaper to begin with.
Alternatively, imagine what would happen if the Australian government passed a law giving a flat tax rebate to every owner of an Australian built vehicle. The supply of cruddy old Falcodores would dry up, 2nd-hand values would go through the roof, and we'd be back to the glory days of Ford dealers giving away new Falcons so they could claim them back in 6 months.

Its all about balance. 2nd hand buyers are a vital part of the economy as they support the resale value of new cars which DIRECTLY impacts new car sales.

Of the cars I am currently looking to buy, or have just bought, my reasons for looking 2nd hand are a mixture of Classic Collectible, wanting a project, lack of availability new, and taking advantage of the quirkiness of the 2nd hand market.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 20-07-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
IronFalcon

Default Re: The "2nd Hand" debate

You can't buy a HO new. You can't buy a T3 new. (For now anyway) you can't buy an XR8 new.

Lets not forget the people who would crawl over broken glass before they drove anything other than a Falcon... maybe they can't afford anything better than an XF or an EA?
Old 20-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

It all comes down to your finances if buying new or 2nd hand, personally there is nothing wrong buying 2nd hand at all as there can be some great deals in the used car market.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What? Some people say you can only be considered a fan of a brand if you buy new? I've never heard of these clowns before.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I admire the people in the Projects section that take a Ford that usually should be in the scrap heap and makes it better than brand new. They are all bought second hand.
Saving 2nd hand Fords is just as important as buying the new ones.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Nova 8

Second hand just means your not lining fords coffers. Honestly I've never heard anyone say that just because you buy second hand that you're less of an enthusiast. I've got an XC in the shed, how could I possibly buy that brand new, the thing is older than I am.
Old 20-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
Second hand just means your not lining fords coffers.
But that is one of my points, a 2nd hand buyer DOES contribute to Ford's profits. Without 2nd hand buyers, people who currently buy a new Ford every two years, would be down to every 10 years.
Plus if 2nd hand buyers were forced to buy new, they'd mostly be buying cheap Chinese rubbish because it was all they could afford.
Old 20-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

The point those members have made in the past isn't that your not an enthusiast, it is that buying used doesn't help Ford's business case for local manufacturing.
No one has been buying new (especially private buyers) for a long time, hence, bye bye Ford Australia.
I see your point on used cars and resale values, Falcons have always had a low resale value, even in the BA hay days (when demand was high). Used Falcons don't seem to have many issues selling, I see dealers moving then on pretty quick.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan

Last edited by Cashie; 20-07-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless the original manufacturer also operates a second hand sale business in conjunction with its new product sales then second hand does nothing to help the manufacturer.

If the product is not good enough to have a new sale cliental it won’t be good enough to spark any interest in the second hand market either.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Unless the original manufacturer also operates a second hand sale business in conjunction with its new product sales then second hand does nothing to help the manufacturer.
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]
Wrong.
But thanks for pointing out another factor: Taken holistically, the greater "Ford" brand DOES operate 2nd-hand sale sales businesses. Buyers of 2nd hand vehicles contribute to the viability of Ford dealers.
Old 22-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Wrong.
But thanks for pointing out another factor: Taken holistically, the greater "Ford" brand DOES operate 2nd-hand sale sales businesses. Buyers of 2nd hand vehicles contribute to the viability of Ford dealers.

With almost 50 years in the manufacturing sector the last thing we ever needed was the second hand market to compete with.
That’s why so many products that used to be built to last are these days manufactured to be almost consumables.
Use them then throw them away and buy a new one.
Seems to me you are looking for a reason to justify a second hand purchase when in reality the only justification is the cheaper price.
As far as the manufacturer’s dealerships are concerned their bread and butter is servicing new cars under warranty, out of warranty second hand cars tend to end up at smaller mechanical outlets who offer a cheaper service or are home serviced or in many, many cases are just driven until they fall apart.
Start listing some manufacturers that have ever said they need the second hand market to enhance their business model and I’ll sit up and take some notice of your gibberish.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Start listing some manufacturers that have ever said they need the second hand market to enhance their business model

Short answer is no.
only brands like ford that had guarantee buy back, Holden with garrateed used car ,Landrover BMW and Nissan advertised the new car sales depend on used car market.
mostly vehicles in the lease market like discovery, prado and Nissan maxima depend on used car market.

Every few years people with PHD look at this and make very different comments. The more recent comments in 20 years has been to reduce the fleet age to at all costs because if the fleet is new GDP will increase--If you can explain this feel free..

Plenty of brands in Australia that put out media releases. Often find this in boring share market and financial reports headlines. last one I read was when Nissan and mitsubishi stopped building cars and made more turnover due to the restructure.

when I was an apprentise my job included cleaning out garbage bins and destroying files. GM would put out boxes of dealer directives on what to say or do and have economic breakdowns on benifits of radio options or mirrors in the glove box. I cant see 2014 being different.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]With almost 50 years in the manufacturing sector the last thing we ever needed was the second hand market to compete with.
That’s why so many products that used to be built to last are these days manufactured to be almost consumables.
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Use them then throw them away and buy a new one.
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Seems to me you are looking for a reason to justify a second hand purchase when in reality the only justification is the cheaper price.
Seems to me you're a ____(But that is just my opinion.)

Quote:
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I’ll sit up and take some notice of your gibberish.
If you sit up, be careful not to hurt your head.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 23-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With almost 50 years in the manufacturing sector the last thing we ever needed was the second hand market to compete with.
Use them then throw them away and buy a new one.
Seems to me you are looking for a reason to justify a second hand purchase when in reality the only justification is the cheaper price.
As far as the manufacturer’s dealerships are concerned their bread and butter is servicing new cars under warranty, out of warranty second hand cars tend to end up at smaller mechanical outlets who offer a cheaper service or are home serviced or in many, many cases are just driven until they fall apart.
Start listing some manufacturers that have ever said they need the second hand market to enhance their business model and I’ll sit up and take some notice of your gibberish.
I bet both ford and holden wish their was a demand for their big uns in the second hand market . After all isn't that what the industry is based on. Your not buying a fridge or tv whereby you throw it away . You don't knock your house down every 5 years and build a new one . If you do , you either should change builders or get you head read .
The car industry lives on second hand buyers . No one buys a new car if they know it worth nothing second hand . Just ask sannyong or lada and plenty of others who tried .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
No one has been buying new (especially private buyers) for a long time, hence, bye bye Ford Australia.
I know it is bit off topic but I think the private buyers are still there but just purchasing more of the other models that are available from dealers, this was certainly expressed to me by the salesman who sold me the Ranger.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #16
Nova 8

I get what you mean, but what's the average upgrade period in Australia, 5 years is about what I'd guess, average loan term? With a 70k vehicle selling for 20k only 4 years later (holden caprice) I don't think the secondhand market props up the manufacturer to the extent implied. Sure it helps people lower the hit to the hip pocket of those buying new but it isnt enough to stop them buying altogether. Once you've had a $70k vehicle lose around $55k value over 5 years i don't see selling it as trying to recoup costs but rather just the done thing cause who uses a car for 5 years then just throws it out?

There are examples where you are spot on and people can afford to upgrade due to the secondhand market. Case in point is myself, I've had 3 new cars since the beginning of 2012 and without secondhand buyers I wouldn't have upgraded yet (VE SSV then VE SS wagon and now VF SSV). But if I just kept my first SS-V and didnt sell it to the guy who bought it he would have bought a new SS (so he told me). Guy who bought the wagon was going to get a SV6 but used the secondhand market to get a V8 with options instead.

People buying new but lower in the range is good for the business and for future upgrades in the range.

Last edited by Nova 8; 21-07-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Nova 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buying new cars.
stats that I read depends on economy at the time. factories need turnover to keep spare parts or finance divisions going.

One stat I read is metropolitan upgrade is 6 -8 years and outer areas-not outback] is 10-15 years. My parents do 2 x 10 year up grades with a 5 year tax deal. they have 2 different types of vehicles.

Have owned 2 new vehicles. as I was in a dealer they worked out cheeper than a used car.
Old 21-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
I get what you mean, but what's the average upgrade period in Australia, 5 years is about what I'd guess, average loan term? With a 70k vehicle selling for 20k only 4 years later (holden caprice) I don't think the secondhand market props up the manufacturer to the extent implied. Sure it helps people lower the hit to the hip pocket of those buying new but it isnt enough to stop them buying altogether. Once you've had a $70k vehicle lose around $55k value over 5 years i don't see selling it as trying to recoup costs but rather just the done thing cause who uses a car for 5 years then just throws it out?
There's obviously many factors that go into driving the 2nd-hand values of cars. My personal observation is that "premium" versions (whilst more desirable) fall faster, getting closer to their basic stablemates.
But my point is that if MORE people (especially private buyers) wanted these big cars second hand, your Caprice wouldn't lose value so rapidly, and you'd be upgrading more often.
Old 21-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep , there is good coin for them when they trade a good 2 - 5 year old car , warranty period so it should be straight into the yard after a detail . Give you next to nothing for it and wack a few thousand on it . Yeh yeh I know , the overheads for the coffee machine .
A lot of people mention how there is little margin in new cars and warranty period servicing these days doesn't really come to much . So where is the cream ?
One other thing , a brand dealer in the past usually only carried his brand in the used lot , if you wanted a used Holden you went to a Holden dealer etc. No brand loyalty anymore with dealers either .
Old 21-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Local dealership actually went out of there way to not have their brand in the yard that wasn't a factory approved used car. my former employers would bring demonstrators from the other yards to sell at a premium as part of their sales pitch.

Now the dealers are mostly owned by the same business only a few brands will want to stop cross sales.
Old 23-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Yep , there is good coin for them when they trade a good 2 - 5 year old car , warranty period so it should be straight into the yard after a detail . Give you next to nothing for it and wack a few thousand on it . Yeh yeh I know , the overheads for the coffee machine .
A lot of people mention how there is little margin in new cars and warranty period servicing these days doesn't really come to much . So where is the cream ?
Yep, even when we were in the depths of depression in the 80's & early 90's, used car sales still made their profits. There's no fixed costs to their stock, so they pay less, sell for less, and still turn a profit.
(Obviously that is only contributing to the coffers of AHG or whoever owns the dealership, but in many country towns that would be the difference between having a New Car Franchise or not.)
(And that was only a minor part of my argument.)
Old 23-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #22
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way is see it is if I'm going to replace nearly every OEM part but the engine, shell and chassis, what's the point of buying new? The global economy killed Oz Ford, nothing else.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I am sure most people would rather buy a new car if they could afford, or justify it.
Most people have limited $$ or are smart enough to realise buying a new car is a waste of scarce money...whatever brand it is.

A 2 year old car goes from A to B just like a brand new one at half the purchase price...

I am not saying NOT to buy a new car...I would have one tomorrow if I could justify the waste of money for depreciation...I am not THAT rich yet and have better things to do with my money.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #24
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would anyone buy new when they can go to " hulks used cars " and get better than new at a premium of course .
Enjoy your purchase hulk but please don't denigrate others for what in the main is a lifestyle purchase , sometimes people buy cars to get to A to B , not as a substitute for another appendage .
Old 24-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new cars are cool parked out the front of boring bbqs
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #26
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just wish I could by a brand spanking new XC GS 351 4 speed coupe !!!!!!!!!!
Alas second hand it must be.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #27
fordman5110

Couldnt agree more OP.

Its not that its new or old, its THAT you drive a FORD!!"
fordman5110 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #28
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman5110 View Post
Couldnt agree more OP.

Its not that its new or old, its THAT you drive a FORD!!"

Not quite right!

Its not that its new or old, its THAT you drive a FALCON
Remember this is Australian Falcon Forums isnt it!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
Nova 8

www.fordforums.com.au