Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Default socially unpopular pastimes?

How many other people have hobbies or pastimes that other people find, shall we say, less than socially acceptable?

As a motorcyclist, you get labelled.Temporary Australian, hoon etc. Meh.

But we also keep reptiles - more than one or two . People freak out that we have them & the amount of people who want to visit or stay overnight is able to be counted on one hand.

Add to that the OH is a handgun instructor & coach, & we both are licenced shooters..... and people just think you're some anti social, psycopathic freak !

Anyone else get this attitude to their hobbies?

hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Default Re: socially unpopular pastimes?

Yep, shooters get scorned.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose there are two elements here.

1. Hobbies that impact or encroach on other peoples lives. ie noise, fumes, unsightlyness.
2. Is the anti social element of a hobby. ie guns associated with crime.

I live in a conservative and very quite mid to upperclass suburb. I'd have the cops or council at my place every week if I did a test and tune on my cars everyweekend or have a parts car in the frontyard.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
I suppose there are two elements here.

1. Hobbies that impact or encroach on other peoples lives. ie noise, fumes, unsightlyness.

I live in a conservative and very quite mid to upperclass suburb. I'd have the cops or council at my place every week if I did a test and tune on my cars everyweekend or have a parts car in the frontyard.
thats why I live on acres, my neuighbors are mostly horsey types, but its all about keeping it tidy and being a little considerate, If I was going to do a tune with open headers late at night I would have the council and the comunity on me like a ton of bricks, as it is, they all coment on all the nice old cars my mates drive and have even comented how they were worried when they saw us move in and saw what we drove.

My mates know I dont tolorate them leaving in a cloud of smoke etc and 2 years on we have no problems the idiots acorss the road however, cop it at every turn but they leave the drive sideways and generaly act like the tools on ACA

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan

This is one of the main reasons i headed out west,theres a few other petrol heads in the street,so we all blend in a touch
But come dark time, you dont usually here much noise, but if theres is,like tunes goin all hours it travels for miles and people dont mind cause its not every nite
Ive been known to do many an all nighter, having a few ales working in the shed
Every coupla weeks i take the quads for a run around the block,gee even thats just under 10 K ,not an issue
Couldnt get away with that in the burbs
I like peace and serenity and dont miss the idiots in the burbs
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
This is one of the main reasons i headed out west,
But come dark time, you dont usually here much noise, but if theres is,like tunes goin all hours it travels for miles and people dont mind cause its not every nite
Ive been known to do many an all nighter, having a few ales working in the shed
Couldnt get away with that in the burbs
I like peace and serenity and dont miss the idiots in the burbs
pretty good isnt it

I had a party a few months ago plenty of people bands etc droped a few notes in the mail boxes arround us told them they were welcome if they wanted.

Didnt have a problem none of them came but 2 people sent back cards thanking us for letting them know so they could look after their animals and one of them left a carton of beer with their thank you note,

cant ask for better neuighbors than that

Old 23-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in to hotrods and old cars so is that socially unpopular enough for you.

I guess not, arround here

at work or with extended family I'm seen as a bogan or a hoon, some pople see me and my kind as being enviromentaly ignorant, but I think thats just becasue they only look at the media.

any one in to old cars trys to salvage anything they can to build them and keep them on the road, whilst we may want more horsepower, lets face it them best way to get it is to tune what ever engine to be as efficant as possible so I cant see that as bad for the enviroment.

All said and done we all like what we like and as long as it doesnt hurt any one whats the harm,

I'm not big on reptiles, but my frineds and family keep them and thats there thing, and whilst its not mine I have no problem with them keeping them (visited and slept over numorus times)

Shooting, again not my bag, but I cant see why some people get so worked up about people being sporting shooters, if your going after vermin I see it as more of a positve.

Old 23-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

chronic masturbators are probably the least socially accepted of all..
but its a guilty pleasure.....
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

yes, but we dont advertise the fact. We dont put our snakes on our shoulders & walk down the street with them, or go outside with firearms in our hands.

i guess its more about when you talk to people you work with, and they are, for instance, talking about their pets and asking, Oh what type of pet do you have?
Snakes.
Oh Yuck! Are you are weirdo or something? Dont they try & eat you while you sleep?
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own guns, I ride motorbikes, I used to go four wheel driving in the bush around town, I own a V8...an old dirty one with no anti-pollution either...my Celica and the WB ute don't have masses of air bags inside them, and I drive somewhere with no good reason sometimes, and I can't remember the last time I took a bus somewhere.

I'm lucky that I live in a small country town where I can walk outside with a rifle, say to put it in the boot of our car, and no one blinks twice. The shooters across the road carry high powered rifles around while packing up their roo shooting truck to go out a few times a month. This is all within a hundred meters of a school.
Anti-gun idiots in the city would have a heart attack!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to have a jetski, I wasn't into riding it in annoying fashion or anything and always obeyed the appropriate rules and regs but the haters (usually boat owners and harbour masters) were just amazing. Never come across anything quite like it before or since.

If you were to behave in that manner to others based on race or religion you'd be chucked in the slammer before your feet touched the ground.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder would prostitution qualify.... Not that I've wanted to be one though
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
I used to have a jetski
I think Jetski riders are about as popular as Snowboarders.
Old 24-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think Jetski riders are about as popular as Snowboarders pedophiles.
Just fixed that for you
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
I used to have a jetski, I wasn't into riding it in annoying fashion or anything and always obeyed the appropriate rules and regs but the haters (usually boat owners and harbour masters) were just amazing. Never come across anything quite like it before or since.
So very true!

Iv got a jetski and its amazing how much hate there is.

The group i ride with are all sensible, rule obeying people but when you show up and the ramp you get a welcome as if you were a bunch of bikies.

Some of the worst for breaking rules are boaties themselves.

Since getting my ranger iv been getting into off roading and it seems there is a similar opinion, e.g. everyone who drives a 4x4 is a track destroying, nature hating bogan but there are plenty that are not.
Old 23-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Cam
Stroking it...

I have been a skateboarder since I was about 6 (now 28). I was never into "team sports" and always preferred to push myself, rather then running around with a ball in short shorts, or the likes..

Obviously there are always a small minority that give the entire sport a bad name. Really and truly we are just a bunch of individuals who enjoy pushing the limits of what our bodies (and minds) can achieve. Sadly I went beyond the limits of what my body was capable of and sustained some back injuries that stop my career in it's tracks, but i still love nothing more then going for a roll. It's a GREAT way to de-stress!

I often get looks from people when I am carting a board around. It's a shame society has this view, because if less kids sat on their asses playing video games, and got out there and did something like skateboarding there would be less obese kids, and dare I say it less depression among kids as they would have an outlet to vent anger / frustration.

My boy has been around skateboards since he was 6 months old, he was standing unassisted on a board before he'd taken his first steps. He's now 3 and can roll down the smaller ramps at the local skate park. I love it when first thing on a Saturday morning he says "dad, wanna skate". Rather then asking for TV or an iPod/iPad to keep him amused..

Just for a laugh - http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67...with-tony-hawk
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Going to church
Old 23-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I enjoy travelling to places and eating weird food....

Have got into many arguments about what I 'Should' and 'Shouldn't' have eaten.....

I do draw the line at certain stuff... (Whale, Shark fin etc) if that makes it any better?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I'm into modified cars.
Old 23-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yeah im into bowhunting, shooting (target and hunting), i ride road bike and used to race them, and i have a V8 ute and im a country boy, i work FIFO and i play with explosives ....yeah i get a bit of crap from some people haha
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning...
I have a nitro 1/8 buggy and the neighbours from time to time call the cops,i also have a few electric drift cars,monster trucks too.
My two boxers love to chase my cars around the front lawn.
Nobody likes the nitro but the fact of it is i can use it for up to 2 hours a day around home(on the front/back lawn) just like people with musical instruments etc.
The parents hate it but their kids love it!
And i dont do fightsports but i love to watch on tv and go see muaythai sometimes,when i mention it say down the pub people arent keen on it at all but i love to see people going head to head just like the caveman days
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I thought about seeing 'the Dark Knight Rises' yesterday, but went shootin instead........

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm into the usual country hobbies, most of which are "un-social" according to the large majority of city folk and the greens, that is shooting and hunting (going to give bow hunting a try), 4x4ing, loud cars (mate owns a mechanical workshop and most of our group of friends are there all weekend playing and sometimes using the dyno)

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
shooting and hunting (going to give bow hunting a try)
/Me having visions of Nathan out on the plains trying to hit an angry Pig with a Bow and Arrow
Old 23-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

cigar smoking, the look on people's mug!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Kryton

Having my own thoughts and opinions, and not following the populist view just because its easier to be spineless and agree with whatever everyone else thinks.
Some people around here should try it one day.
You might be surprised.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

so your socially unpopular pastime is arrogance davway?
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Having my own thoughts and opinions, and not following the populist view just because its easier to be spineless and agree with whatever everyone else thinks.
Some people around here should try it one day.
You might be surprised.
I couldn't agree more....oh, hang on.......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Being on p-plates and taking care of my care!
Being on p-plates and making it run better and safer!

The usual associated with platers. Some do wrong and reflects on the rest -.-

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Umm - AFF!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post