Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

Question D.I.Y shift kit

i caught a glimpse of this a while back and haven't found it since but someone was saying you can make your own shift kit.
few wires here and there, some soldering ect.......
if anyone knows how, i would like to know :

martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do a search it's been brought up 1,000,000 times
2 resistors if i remember correctly, and there is an ongoing debate about how much damage it does to the tranny
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
martymonsta
AUII FUTURA

cool thanks might give it a miss
i love my tranny to much
martymonsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymonsta
cool thanks might give it a miss
i love my tranny to much
The firmness of the shift isn't too bad in power #1 mode ( if you have an adaptive shift auto ). There is a limit to how much the tranny can take , but in some ways its better for the tranny to shift firmer , but the end result is the rear running gear (diff/tailshaft etc ) cops a beating , resulting in a loose/worn/noisy asss end eventually / Im only on about prolonged major firm shiftness here (with a shift kit set hard).

I wouldn't say don't get 1 if you plan on getting slightly faster times etc , just imo i wouldn't set it much harder than the shift firmness already obtainable ( with a variable shift kit ) if you plan on wanting the rest of the running gear to last a while too , and also not wanting to maybe damage the tranny having it set to firm .

Im just going of my own experience here with shift kits in the past , imo they are quite good so long as you don't over do it . ;)

Really in the end though it is a person choice , as TwistedEL mentioned about the debates about the damage that can be caused. Some people like the gearchange to kick like a horse , but you can't expect that without expecting wear ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post