Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
blk6t

Default Almost Almost A Decade Old, Time Flies When Your Fast

Well the XR6 Turbo will be 10 years old next year, it is a car that certainly won the hearts of many Ford Fans and re-positioned Ford's Falcon as serious performance car when compared to the darkside, and most other cars on the street at the time.

The Falcon seemed to trail behind Holden's Gen3 V8 prior to the XR6 Turbo being released, then as we know during 2002 all hell broke loose. The XR6 Turbo was made available to the public and from memory was only 10kw -20kw shy of the HSV's Clubsport range, however the torque came on alot harder and alot earlier. The XR6 Turbo was in the league of HSV's, not the SS and fair to say for the last 10 years the XR6 Turbo has always held its own against HSV's offerings.

I remember seeing the first of the XR6 Turbo's driving around the streets, lots of blueprint, citric acid and blood orange boosted Falcon's. A guy at my work got one of the first available, blueprint, 5 speed, leather etc, this was my first ride in a XR6 Turbo, he gave it a boot in second at low revs, the engine quickly boosted up and the surge was amazing. That ride had a massive impact on me and I quickly purchased a 2003 black XR6 Turbo ute with all the trimmings, I loved that ute. I think I washed it every Saturday without fail.

Of course the XR6 Turbo had its doubters from the Holden camp and even the hardcore Ford V8 owners. But then the aftermarket scene came about which began to show us Ford Fans and the rest of the Aussie Car World what this boosted 6 is really capable of, if you read back through some old threads, people were so excited with getting 300rwkw, from a average of around 190rwkw stock. Then as the R&D advanced we began to see the 350rwkw, 400rwkw and more.

The BA Mk2 gave us a first look at the F6 Typhoon, which quickly became the bigger bad brother. The F6 Typhoon is a car that FPV said would stand out a mile away, and that it did and still does. Of course the F6 did have it's initial problems, the clutch issue that plagued the release of this hero car, but that soon dissapeared once people got a taste of what it had to offer...Unbeatable performance, big stoppers all wrapped up in one mean bodykit!

Back in 2005, I wanted a Typhoon badly, couldn't afford one so I sold my turbo ute and purchased a Silver BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo sedan with the 6 speed manual. One of my favourite cars I have ever owned, actually I still miss it today. I kept that car for 6 years, trouble free and pushing out a nice torquey 300rwkw.

I am sure most on here have owned a XR6 Turbo appreciate what it offers, I started this thread to see what memories you all have of the XR6 Turbo and what impact this car has had on you?

The XR6 Turbo has been around for almost 10 years but i'm sure it will live on in the garages of many for decades to come. Hearing a boosted 6 driving past is a sound that grabs the attention many Falcon fans...

Maybe Ford will release a 10 yr Anniversary Special....

Old 20-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Almost Almost A Decade Old, Time Flies When Your Fast

for me it was an act of in hindsight sure stupidity. I had an 03 xr6 Na, i was cleaned up buy a drunk it was sadly repaired but never the same. From there all i could think about was a t56 xr6 turbo. I searched for months to find the right one. Stock as a rock manual premo sound. Till one day i found one in Melbourne (i live in the act) in that awesome colour velocity and i knew i had to have it. I called and paid a deposit. 3am the next mornin after finishing pulling my lowered suspension out of the old car 2 hours ago. me and 2 mates jumped in the old car with an envelope of cash and a long day ahead. We arrived at the dealer in ferntree gully mid morning and there it was. I walked inside signed papers swapped keys walked back out. The first time i put the key in the ignition was driving it off the lot. And wow was it awesome. That was near 3 years ago now and i took a massive gamble, but it paid off 75thou km's and lots of abuse and the only thing that needed to be replaced was the clutch which is my own fault. These things are timeless and bullet proof
Old 20-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I think the T6 was one of the best things to happen at FoA
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Good thread. I remember first hearing about the 6t's in 2001 as a rumor, then when they got released in 02-03 I felt the pride of being a Ford fan thrive. Marcos Ambrose won his championship in 03 and at that time Holden fans were scratching their heads. My holden mates were complimenting the BA's in general and couldn't believe the power the 6T's had. Topped with a Ford championship win in the V8SC, it made the dark days of AU seem to disappear.

Great years back then, and to some extent great evolution of Ford bringing out more and more performance boosted cars today. The XR5T, F6, SC GT, G6ET and so on. Ford and FPV were on a good thing and new the cult following would take off in this department.

The aftermarket area has just been mind boggling too. I remember reading people getting 50rwkw on a $1500 tune alone and thought wtf? The bang for buck margin was a huge bonus for most.

I have driven a few 6T's myself but never got to own one. I just was never able to afford one and was always going to wait for the right time to purchase one. Fast forward nearly 10 years and times have changed, circumstances have changed and I am still 6T-less but that doesn't mean I don't want one nor have less respect for them. I see a 6T with turbo badge on the rear and think they are very intimidating. I often think to myself, is it stock? Has it been tweaked? What kind of person is driving it etc? Make's me wary to say the least.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I wish i was allowed to drive one and could afford one. Man, i see these things around the streets all the time and always feel a pang of jealousy!
Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dads still got his 2002 Acid Rush BA XR6 Turbo. Leather, premo sound, 18s, brake upgrade in Acid Rush. Got about 120,000kms now so barely driven and he's owned it since new. Had a few small problems but nothing major either
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good Thread!

Whenever I see one on the street, I always wonder too, whether or not it's stock or boosted! But either way I have never ever lined one up. It just wouldn't be worth the embarrassment!

Having driven one of the earliest ones, to an FG XR6T last week, I can only say that the engine is truly going to go down as one of the greatest drivelines fitted to a car in Australia. It is smooth, powerful, torquey and when you consider just how hard it punches it is really fuel efficient too.

I for one am dead keen to put one in the shed at some stage. A white FG XR6T ZF sedan with the sports pack option would do me just fine
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Faaark, 10 yrs. I'm getting old. I remember trading my 04 XR8 with 32K on the clock for an 03 turbo with 120K on it. The dealer thought I was nuts. Turbo is now long gone, shouldn't have sold it. Loved that car.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Yep great thread blk6t. Hopefully Ford will mark the 10th anniversary somehow
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I still remember the waiting list to get one.

My fondest memory, my Mum & Dad went to the local Ford dealer to buy a Territory in early 2006 and left having bought a showroom F6 BF demo with no kms on it.
Old 21-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Ive now had my BA(11/03)for 2.5 years and absolutley love the thing.Never argues ect....

I picked her up with just under 110,000kms on her and im now the 2nd owner,currently she sits on 151,500kms.Not once have I been left stranded,sure things have needed maintanence from shows/everyday driving.I had @25k to spend and nothing in the Holden lineup interested me,the std package of the car didnt really phase me,its the product you end up with throwing imo simple mods at it and being very streetable.Yes.....Im a Holden man alsoBut this stuff is addictive.

The car came with Premo everything,leather,sunroof,Upgraded brakes and very little "perferation" on the entire car lol.

imo,the BA turbo saved Fords somewhat and made people reallise when your talking awesome,easy and reliable street grunt the BA turbo was the starter of a all new trend.Turned quite a few people abroad I heard lol.

Well done Ford Aust for the balls to go ahead with the Turbo Barra and sticking with it
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It would be nice to celebrate the car that saved Fords collective performance repuatation and is now holding everything up on Fords side yet again.

Doesnt need more power, but some nice bonnet vents and some other little add ons would be nice ;)
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
It would be nice to celebrate the car that saved Fords collective performance repuatation and is now holding everything up on Fords side yet again.

Doesnt need more power, but some nice bonnet vents and some other little add ons would be nice ;)
Agreed 100%, something subtle, just like the car i reckon (well till you stand on it)
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awesome thread guys i've always been very respectful of xrt's on the street considering the amount of sleepers out there and the xrt has not only been great to ford but has also been the starter for a lot of great tune houses that are always developing and I'm sure we can all say and agree that this engine has opened up a whole new market within australia and hopefully one day over seas, which not only helps the economy but gives it a good boost!! pardon the pun lol.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Seems like only yesterday

- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cant get the tags to work but this is what I would like to see...R Spec G6ET and XR6T...throw the LSD in the G6ET for good measure too. Maybe drop the F6 suspension packs in aswell.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by DJM83; 21-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Cant get the tags to work but this is what I would like to see...R Spec G6ET and XR6T...throw the LSD in the G6ET for good measure too. Maybe drop the F6 suspension packs in aswell.

http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...6&postcount=20

http://fordforums.com.au/attachment....9&d=1285819706
Fixed it for ya
Would look good or something similar to the EL XR vents.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

I owned a 2004 XR6T - what a great car!

I still miss it..
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
blk6t

I love those blueprint XR6T photos, that brings back the memories, I remember all the car mags and online websites were full of XR6T reviews.

And yes, should Ford do a 10yr special, only subtle add ons to make it stand out and keep it special, there is enough power on tap.
Old 21-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:

you could of at least added your bonnet holes to an FG2.
Old 21-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love my XR6T! I couldnt go back to owning a N/A 6 now. I remember back in 2006, I would have been 17 i seen a Manual Yellow XR6T at one of the local dealers. I went home and told my old man in a couple of years id have one exactly the same! Took me a bit longer than a couple of years and a few other cars but i now own a Rapid Yellow XR6T! Was in love from the very first time i seen it on the lot!
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember being 12 years old watching MA win the C'Ship after that all I wanted was a BA XR8 in blueprint..that day never came sadly, drove an FG XR6T ute for the first time earlier this year and just had to have one..first drive in a turbo car and it converted me..i'm now the proud owner of a brand new XR6T ute..can't wait till its out of warranty so i can start the real mods.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Awesome thread again!!!

I remember I was in high school in early 2000's, my mate telling me he red an artical saying Ford's new car, the XR6T. I remember the whole group (me included) being a bunch of fully sick enthics carrying on holding our crutches with one hand and waving like 50 cent with the other in disbelieve of what just might come!
Then the 1st time I saw one launch was beside my only a couple of yrs later when I was in my EF XR6. At the time (from the side view) I couldnt tell it was a turbo and here I was thinking Im going to munch this thing, and then it hit boost....

From that point on, I viewed the XR6T's and turbo's in general as an amazing product. Around the same time is when I got heavily involved in V8SC and taking a strong interest watching Ambrose be a freak! They where very good times!!!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #24
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The I6T has been and continues to be one of if not the finest engines to come out of this country, when the F6 came out it went to another level, then the ZF6 came out in the BF's and yet again they just got quicker.

I love my V8's, i did look at a BA MKII XR6T when i bought my XR8 but it was a little more $$$ than i wanted to spend at the time.

Love talking about "Way Back" in 2003, like other memebers i was in highschool enjoying watch Ambrose tear Holden/HRT a new one, ending a dominant Era and starting his own.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

I was given a ride in a Telstra company car BA Turbo in maybe 2003 I think (I was 20 ish), my brain just went "WOW" at that feeling of power and acceleration. I haunted the turbo forum for 2 years before I finally bought a one year old 2007 BFII with the ZF, ex police car. Has been incredible ever since! Even more amazing after I got the RWKW upped by 50% a bit over a year ago when warranty ran out. Fantastic car which cops 500km a week no sweat, runs 11's in street trim and tows trailers full of furniture on 35° days up and down hills without complaining.

Will never sell this car, it means too much to me and is already a cult classic.

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #26
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I remember being 12 years old watching MA win the C'Ship after that all I wanted was a BA XR8 in blueprint..that day never came sadly, drove an FG XR6T ute for the first time earlier this year and just had to have one..first drive in a turbo car and it converted me..i'm now the proud owner of a brand new XR6T ute..can't wait till its out of warranty so i can start the real mods.
Likewise, had a V8, drove a T6, now I'm in F6

I seem to not cop as much grief from the Mrs now as it's quiet, and she can't hear the revs climb

Edit: 1000th post!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #27
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember the first article I ever read about it I was in high school. Wheels (possibly Motor) where they had a Mercury Silver BA with the APS kit fitted to it and showing my dad how cool it was lol
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #28
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enjoying reading this thread!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always loved this add.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNOY1mAo40U
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loved my '04 XR6T... Bought a demo blood orange with the suede/leather seats and premo sound. I was only a young tacker, and dad told me i made the biggest mistake of my life... Apparently throwing money at it and modding it was the second biggest mistake lol...

I still miss it, but dad was sort of right... Not 100%... I enjoyed my time in it, and enjoyed modding it. The pleasure it gave me every time i drove it can't be described.

Dad was only partly right, as the only reason i ended up selling it was to get out of paying my massive loan and save for a house when my first kid was born in 2007... I guess i threw at least 50k at the XR6T over the 3 years of ownership...

Fast forward a few years, i bought a house in december '08 and i've bought several other cars since the house purchase (fairlane G8, focus XR5 and turbo terry), that were also 'big' mistakes in my old mans eyes.

I would love an F6, but having owned a modified XR6T, and now a modified turbo terry i have my heart set on a GT or GS for next year, not looking forward to taking that over to my parents house for the first time
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post