Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default No More Mark Latham

Well apparently he's stepping down 'for health reasons'.

As long as Beazley doesnt come back, i don't really care.
Old 18-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

health reasons? : : more like :
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Close the door on your way out Mark!!! And if you wouldn't mind could you take your crooked premier mates Bob & Steve on your way to obscurity. :

And take that wretched Gillard woman too, listening to her is like listening to cats fighting.!!!

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 18-01-2005 at 03:39 PM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

steady on guys. he hasnt given out details about what exactly is wrong with his health. whether you like him or not, he may be faced with something really serious. he says he is quitting politics too, which makes me think its worse than he's saying.

Last edited by seano14; 18-01-2005 at 03:54 PM.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
loxxr6
XB in parts...

steady on guys. he hasnt given out details about what exactly is wrong with his health. whether you like him or not, he may be faced with something really serious. he says he is quitting politics too, which makes me think its worse than he's saying.

isn't it pancreatitis ??

Party's over: Latham quits, blames health
January 18, 2005 - 2:46PM

Opposition Leader Mark Latham has quit as Labor leader and Werriwa MP, blaming his health. Former leader Kim Beazley is about to make a statement.

Mr Latham, speaking at a doorstop in Sydney, also announced he would quit politics.

``A number of colleagues have asked me to address the uncertainty concerning the Labor leadership,'' Mr Latham told journalists.

``While I had planned to reassess things at the end of my leave period on the 26th of January, the ongoing speculation is damaging the party and needs to be dealt with now.

''(My family's) conclusion is that I should look after my health and pursue a normal life outside of politics.

``Therefore I've decided to resign both as Labor leader and Member for Werriwa.''

Mr Latham thanked Labor "for the opportunity of leading it to the last election and trying to form a Labor government.

``I hope that my colleagues can achieve this final goal in the future and I wish them well.''

Mr Latham said he was proud of Labor's achievements from opposition in 2004, including reforms to parliamentary superannuation and changes to the US free trade agreement.

`I did my bit to lead a genuinely progressive Australian Labor Party,'' he said.

``I wish to thank the people of Werriwa for the opportunity of representing them since 1994 and putting something back into our local community.

``I also thank the local Labor Party members and particularly my staff, who have worked so hard both in the electorate and in parliament house.

``I again thank the Labor supporters and members who backed our cause in the last campaign and gave me so much encouragement as Labor leader.''

Mr Latham refused to answer any questions from reporters.

He addressed the media without his wife Janine Lacy by his side.
He left immediately after delivering his prepared statement.

Mr Latham had been under growing pressure to end speculation over the leadership, sparked by last week's announcement he was suffering from a second bout of pancreatitis.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Why Latham quit.
The Age Breaking News - pm edition
January 18, 2005 - 3:23PM

I have had a well-publicised problem with pancreatitis that has been hard to overcome. This condition and the uncertain timing of the attacks are incompatible with the demands and stresses of a parliamentary life.

When I was hospitalised in August, for instance, the media frenzy was over the top, with photographers shooting through my hospital window. Accordingly, I have done everything I could to keep subsequent episodes as private as possible.

Unfortunately ever since the recent bout became known, and even though I was on annual leave, the media has been harassing people in our street, forcing our neighbours to call the police on several occasions.

Obviously this situation cannot continue. Public office can take it out of people and, after 17 years and two serious life-threatening illnesses, the time has come to put my family and my health first. While it is important to try to help people through community involvement, this should not be at the expense of loved ones.
Old 18-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

I dont think its due to a Labour party

Someone who suffers pancreatitis, generally does so due to to much :baby bott
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
Know where you are coming from Seano, despite the fact I zero respect for the man, and that I do not trust him nor agree with his ideals, I still do not wish him ill health.
There is a lot of speculation that the health issue is a pot on to save face, I'll just sit back and see what transpires, the truth either way will surface in time. I am just glad to see a dangerous element out of Politics.
Old 18-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Know where you are coming from Seano, despite the fact I zero respect for the man, and that I do not trust him nor agree with his ideals, I still do not wish him ill health.
There is a lot of speculation that the health issue is a pot on to save face, I'll just sit back and see what transpires, the truth either way will surface in time. I am just glad to see a dangerous element out of Politics.
Really well put Red EL.

Will be very interesting to see who is put forward now...
Old 18-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish Latham well for the future.

And Labor get someone good to get rid of John Stalin Howard
Beazly is cool
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good thing he didn't get in, then. we may have ended up with Wayne Swan as PM :
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Meh, not like its anyone important. :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Well there goes the labour party. At least what was left of it!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #14
Kryton

he was pushed out the door IMO. itll only get worse with Beasley in.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Still I'd rather ole Jabba the hut beazley than latham
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #16
rob_o

Beazley has some big shoes to fill...

...dunno about the pants tho
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it would be the stabbing pain in his back and the sore ribs from when the party kicked him while he was down, in addition to the Pancreatitis that caused him to resign. I reckon Beasley will be re-instated as leader - because although many may not like him, he's been holding important roles in the Labor party for some time, has alot of experience (at being a lying, cheating, politician) and out of the other candidates, are there any others you would think could do better?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #18
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

i would wish him well and hope he gets the time with his young family he wants..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #19
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
i would wish him well and hope he gets the time with his young family he wants..
As someone who despises his politics, I wish him that too.
Old 19-01-2005, 01:23 AM   #20
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if one of the state labor premiers will switch to Commonwealth Parliament... It won't happen overnight, but it could happen.... imagine Bracks or Beatie as PM!!

AFF Town looks more and more promising!
Old 19-01-2005, 01:58 AM   #21
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

so one self-serving lying politician goes, only to be replaced by another. whatever side of the political fence you are on, you are faced with voting for people who dont know you and couldnt care less.

make no mistake, latham's financial package to leave will leave all of us jealous and wondering why we bothered to try to make an honest living. i hope the whole lot of them get dysentry and die.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 02:47 AM   #22
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Hasn't it always been the way? When the opposition loses an election, the opposition leader either stands down, for not being able to lead the party to victory, or is kicked out, for whatever reason they can dredge up?
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 10:08 AM   #23
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
.... imagine Bracks or Beatie as PM!!
No the image I prefer to imagine is one of Carr and Bracks strapped screaming to a medieval catapult aimed at NZ's South Island.

I honest don't know why the catapult ever went out of favour as a deterrent.
Old 19-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #24
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

apparently latham has also had bouts with testicular cancer as well. the dude just aint healthy.

Personally I think he should have been replaced by Kevin Rudd, he is a better political operator then latham or beazley, and sometimes even thinks before he speaks.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #25
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

even if Beazley become the Leader again, doesnt mean he will be there when the next election rolls around. He had his chance twice before and blew it, I cant see anything changing people's opinons about his this time.

Last edited by xceler8shun; 20-01-2005 at 09:05 AM.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #26
4.9 EF Futura

Whaddya reckon about Kate Ellis guys? She knocked off the long-standing member for Adelaide in recent election - could do well as the head of the ALP:

Now, I'm a liberal man through and through..... but i'm only male ;)

Last edited by 4.9 EF Futura; 19-01-2005 at 12:05 PM.
4.9 EF Futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #27
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hate the man and his party but wish him a full recovery.

Still, its fun to see Labor bitching themselves into oblivion :the_finge

Hope it stays that way for a long, long time!!! They can also take thier Dole bludging, tall poppy syndrome mates with them too!
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Oh please god no not Kim Beazley, cant stand the pompous fatarse.

Kevin Rudd is a little toad, every time i see him on TV he ****es me off with his snivelling 'im so right' voice. Annoying, annoying little weasel.

I like Peter Beattie, but i dont live in QLD so im unsure as to how good a leader he is/would be.
Old 19-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #29
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Hey guys,

Never been to these off topic forums before so hi, nice to be here, nice place you have here.

I hate all pollies. Not personally, but just what they stand for. And as a health professional I have empathy for sick people... so I wish Mark Latham well, and hope he can have a break and work on making himself better. Stress does amazingly bad stuff to a person.

Next thing - did anyone ever watch CNNNN's coverage of the Election on the ABC? It was the funniest thing I have seen in a while, after of course Team America... and the one thing I noticed was all the Libs would run away from the CNNNN guys and cameramen/soundmen, but not Latham. He was joining in on the joke, even stealing a pen from them and driving away.

Now I don't care about any political party's policies cos they are all a bunch of tree hugging hippy crap but when it comes to a sense of humour and having a laugh at yourself, then Mark Latham won hands down! :king:

Beazley is a moron, but so they all are and basically they don't care about us, when you do vote it ends up being that you are voting for who you consider to be the lesser of two evils.

My two cents' worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #30
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Next thing - did anyone ever watch CNNNN's coverage of the Election on the ABC? It was the funniest thing I have seen in a while, after of course Team America...
Hehe - The Chaser Decides - "Indecision 2004". Brilliant television.

http://www.chaser.com.au/splash.asp

http://www.cnnnn.com/