Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default Modern Automotive Classic Cars

Time to name your future classic car predictions.
I think we are at a bit of a crossroads in the automotive industry. I think the days of the ICE performance car are coming to an end. I think we will see more eco friendly cars with smaller engine or hybrid set ups and obviously EV.

So what modern cars that are available now or in recent years do you think will be future classics and collectable?
I’ll start by saying I think the RS Focus may be one. I’m tempted to buy a new ST Focus as it’s the RS Focus’s watered down little brother and I don’t think it will be available much longer.
Things like the Bullitt Mustang, the R-Spec and the Mach1 should go ok.
Aussie cars the the FGX XR8 and GT-F will be worth a lot of money in 30 years. Even clean FG turbos should become real cult cars.
So what else do you think will be looked back on with rose colored glasses in a few years and be sought after?
Do cars like the Focus RS and ST have enough(any) heritage to be collectable in Australia?
Should I stick my well used BA e-gas wagon away in the shed or sell it now?
What about other brands?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
ESPJG32

Default Re: Modern Automotive Classic Cars

Very good question.....for my money probably anything GT, or limited production. In the FG range top of the tree is probably GTF followed by R spec's and XR's 8's and 6's [ a lot of these will probably finish up in China becoming MG's} probably FGX's and RS Focus.s.....cant see any Rangers making it
Parts will become the issue for all this stuff.

EV's wont make it...not sure of the smell of Lithium batteries in the morning but race fuel [ av Gas or better} in any race car gets me going....if everyone wants to go to EV's I am happy to burn up your quota of real car fuel as well as mine before I check out!!
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2021, 02:48 AM   #3
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None of them are going to be worth jack after we get the choice of cheap electric, or high performance high range electric.

If you want to play this game find the 90s/2000s car that will become cult classic in the the next 10-15 years. Nothing new is worth saving (cars hardly are, like many people suggest all the time there was always better gains to be had elsewhere).
Cars only end up being good investment if they're bought at 5k and end up 100-200k, very unlikely from now on because we are no longer a petrol head society with race on sunday sell on monday with the whole world watching etc.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Stubbie

I doubt there will be any collecting once the petrol heads die out. Kids of today aren't much interested in yesteryear let alone collecting it. Unless it starts with Playstation, Xbox or Nintendo.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
cycle myth

Fast forward to an electric era - I feel the collectable will be something you can't get anymore.

Character, powerful, noisey, flawed with more involvement than auto everything, self driving sowing machine.

Nothing new in the sense of what has been seen over recent years with manual V8 Ford / Holdens being snapped up.

So I think from Ford land it would be XR6T (with a bias for F6 and Sprint) XR8, GT, GT-F, Respecs
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: