Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 23-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
TrentST
Starter Motor

Default ST170 Trouble

Evening boys and girls,

Ive have previously been a member of the AFF after falling for my first car a manual au2 XR6 falcon about 2 years ago.

After owning a 740 turbo volvo since I decided to treat myself to a new (new by my standards) car with performance, heaps of gear and above all fuel economy. I waded through my archives of wheels and motor magazines to find that the car best suited to this criteria and my driving habits was Ford's warmed up focus st170.

I found a great example interstate and finally recieved it earlier this week after waiting for it to arrive via truck. It was an awsome day as I made the 1 hour trip from the brisbane transport deppo to the Gold Coast for my first drive..... However from that drive onwards things started to get a little suss.....

The car hated changing gear, protesting from 3rd to 4th with an intial hunt through the rev range once the clutch was released. Once in gear it would cough and splutter when it eventually made it above 4000rpm (crap considering I bought it to travel through the full 7200). I guessed it was a computer related problem (traction control) so I left it parked for a day with the battery connections detached.

To my utter horror and dismay the problem was back on start up the next morning, this time in all gears. The car came to a shuddering stop on the roadside refusing to start again. So I had it towed.

After a week of diagnosis it has finally been revealed that the clutch has been badly worn, something I didn't even think to check as it was purchased from a repitable dealership with all consequent pre-sale checks being documented and carried out. It sickens me that someone has worn out a clutch in this car after 50000kms...

So with warranty work being carried out (flywheel being machined and new clutch.. $1200) I hope my car is back to its best so that I can enjoy it to its full potential. The experience hasn't soured my love for this little car and I hope there are many fun and rewarding drives ahead.

Thanks for listening.

TrentST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 02:40 AM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentST
Evening boys and girls,

Ive have previously been a member of the AFF after falling for my first car a manual au2 XR6 falcon about 2 years ago.

After owning a 740 turbo volvo since I decided to treat myself to a new (new by my standards) car with performance, heaps of gear and above all fuel economy. I waded through my archives of wheels and motor magazines to find that the car best suited to this criteria and my driving habits was Ford's warmed up focus st170.

I found a great example interstate and finally recieved it earlier this week after waiting for it to arrive via truck. It was an awsome day as I made the 1 hour trip from the brisbane transport deppo to the Gold Coast for my first drive..... However from that drive onwards things started to get a little suss.....

The car hated changing gear, protesting from 3rd to 4th with an intial hunt through the rev range once the clutch was released. Once in gear it would cough and splutter when it eventually made it above 4000rpm (crap considering I bought it to travel through the full 7200). I guessed it was a computer related problem (traction control) so I left it parked for a day with the battery connections detached.

To my utter horror and dismay the problem was back on start up the next morning, this time in all gears. The car came to a shuddering stop on the roadside refusing to start again. So I had it towed.

After a week of diagnosis it has finally been revealed that the clutch has been badly worn, something I didn't even think to check as it was purchased from a repitable dealership with all consequent pre-sale checks being documented and carried out. It sickens me that someone has worn out a clutch in this car after 50000kms...

So with warranty work being carried out (flywheel being machined and new clutch.. $1200) I hope my car is back to its best so that I can enjoy it to its full potential. The experience hasn't soured my love for this little car and I hope there are many fun and rewarding drives ahead.

Thanks for listening.
I assume it was done under warranty ?
if not it should have been
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear your problems with your. Hopefully a new clutch will get it working again. Its a great little car and you will enjoy it. Welcome to the eurofordclub forums too. I'm sure there will be plenty of people to help you on here.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
TrentST
Starter Motor

Yes it was a warranty jobbie but still.... God knows what dealership lacky has taken it for a milk run with the tyres smoking and the traction off...
Old 23-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Welcome mate.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

And unfortunately im afraid to say that many ST170's where given that treatment. I have seen quite a few beeing THRASHED the crap out of and not take care of properly.

But none the less they are great little cars.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
TrentST
Starter Motor

Hopefully I have saved it... Everything else on the car is in top condition so it seems worth the wait.
Old 24-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

What dealer did you buy it from Interstate ?

Wasnt from Adelaide was it ?
Old 26-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
TrentST
Starter Motor

When I say interstate I just wanted to stray you guys away in fear I may have to answer to a defamation case. It was actually bought in northern QLD from a very long established holden dealer, not SA.

Still haven't heard anything from the mechanic and the car went in on Tuesday.
Old 26-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
TrentST
Starter Motor

allright just got the call (3:30pm monday grrr)

The flywheel and bearing were also shot so the clutchpack (which still hasn't arrived from melbourne) will be installed without a warranty from the mechanic as he believes it wont last. He has been talking to the dealership where the car was purchased about the essential replacement of the flywheel component but one of the little carnies up there told him not to worry about it.

My face went red for a while as I realised that the two parts (flywheel and clutch) could have been ordered together and installed today. Instead I now have to wait another week (god knows how much longer) without a car while I argue with the dealer about a new flywheel.

Focus experience so far has been crap. Should have bought a camry and along with it reliability and a good dealership network.
Old 26-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your experience has been crap because your car hasn't been 100% when it is, you will enjoy it. Why couldn't the fly wheel be machined?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

That sounds exactly like what happened to my car only about 5 months out of warranty.

Clutch and that went, have to pay about $3300 to have it all fixed, the day i got it back, i promptly drove up the road to Ford and traded it in on my new XR6.
Old 27-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
TrentST
Starter Motor

yes well I don't think im going to trade it.... When it does finally return I'm crossing my fingers that people will not turn the trction control off and stamp the clutch in and out :togo: .... and that wont happen because I wont let anyone else drive it :

Im not at all dissapointed with the product. Long have I awaited a car that can do what the focus can do... it is hard to explain but its handling finesse makes me feel very confident whilst driving and the power is just enough to feel comfortable with without the dark cloud of torque steer hovering around.

I was just upset at peoples lack of respect for the car and then the after sales teams dissapearence when things start to go wrong.
Old 27-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Nah its not hard to explain, everyone that owns a focus knows about the handling

I loved my ST, just annoyed that everything went when it was out of warranty.

Yeah thats always annoying when you get no after sales service.

My new car for instance i have had great after sales service, i took it back as a bit of paint was missing from the rear wing and the lady who i took it too immediately asked if i wanted it resprayed, we went inside and got it organised there and then with her manager, its in the shop now getting done.

I would go back to this dealer and sales lady again, as she was about the only sales person in ford who actually knew what an ST170 was when i said i had one.
Old 29-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
TrentST
Starter Motor

Yes! I think when you say focus people think of the 4spd auto and atmo 1.6.... Still haven't got her back yet lol... my dealer rang me requesting I send the car back at my expense for repairs (ha ha.. no) and after that phone call has promptly approved the cars flywheel andclutch repairs.... hoping for a friday test drive.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #15
Blue_ST170

bad luck mate.......hope you get to experience the car at its full.....really is a great drive.

Btw my clutch and flywheel had to be replaced a month after warranty ended.....lol

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post