Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default LW Focus info please?

Hello all,

Took my Focus to Ford to get the 60K service. No worries.

Guy told me next time I'm in I need to change my coolant. Now, I know for a fact the coolant is listed as 10 years in the book, and sure enough it is listed as such. I didn't want to start a debate with the guy as I had stuff to do and wanted to leave pronto.

Anyway, can someone with a LW Focus look into their service booklet and tell me if theirs says 4yrs or 10 years. I think mine says that at 4 yrs the cap and seal needs to be inspected for leaks and that it holds the correct pressure. That's it.

I got over the fact that my booklet states that the 6 speed auto is 'sealed for life' and paid the full monty for the auto service to also be performed.

I wonder if I should also question why they needed (charged me for) 7 litres of transmission fluid when the book says 5.6L is required?

I guess, they can say that they used 30 litres, as long as the total comes at the 'fixed price' listed on the Ford site.. Still doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Fitzy

Default Re: LW Focus info please?

This is from Fords site.

In the event that brake fluid needs to be replaced (every two years) an additional charge of $130will apply or if the radiator coolant needs to be replaced (between every 3 - 10 years depending on the model) an additional charge of $170will apply. * Prices include GST. Refer to terms and conditions at ford.com.au/myfordcps for full program details.
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Imolator
Quad Cam

Is your lw diesel or petrol? The diesel uses a wet clutch vs the petrol dry clutch in the powershift.

If its a diesel then that's ok, but the dry clutch powershift doesn't need servicing until 240,000km. It also only has a 1.7 litre oil capacity.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
This is from Fords site.

In the event that brake fluid needs to be replaced (every two years) an additional charge of $130will apply or if the radiator coolant needs to be replaced (between every 3 - 10 years depending on the model) an additional charge of $170will apply. * Prices include GST. Refer to terms and conditions at ford.com.au/myfordcps for full program details.
Yeah, did the brake fluid at 2 years, which is what the book says.

"3-10 years, depending on model"... written like they have hundreds of models and engine options... Honestly, could they be more vague?

Thanks. Would like to see this info as per what the actual service booklet says. May as well go LW as I know what the LV states, and it is firm on the 10 year interval.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
Is your lw diesel or petrol? The diesel uses a wet clutch vs the petrol dry clutch in the powershift.

If its a diesel then that's ok, but the dry clutch powershift doesn't need servicing until 240,000km. It also only has a 1.7 litre oil capacity.
Diesel. Not that it really matters. They could have written 5.6 and still charge the full amount.

I often think these guys don't know as much as they let on regarding the paperwork that comes with a car.

When I challenged the guy about the auto servicing he assured me it was written in plain English, it certainly wasn't, but just replied.. "mate, even if the book doesn't say it, I assure you it needs it" (Auto service)...

Doesn't make it all that fair, when I took servicing costs into consideration when buying and did look through the service schedule when inspecting the car.

Oh, I don't have an LW, I have an LV. I'm going by what the LW book says because thats what they did when I went there last. You would think after all the times they have had my car, and its book they could insert a service ammendmant page or something???

Thanks anyway

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 08-04-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Imolator
Quad Cam

The ford service and warranty books that I've had with my WQ Fez LT Focus WT Fez and LW2 Focus have all been pretty poor.

The US owners manual for the LW Focus is much better, even covers the procedure for resetting the oil change monitor by the owner if doing oil changes themselves. Doesn't void warranty like here.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
The ford service and warranty books that I've had with my WQ Fez LT Focus WT Fez and LW2 Focus have all been pretty poor.

The US owners manual for the LW Focus is much better, even covers the procedure for resetting the oil change monitor by the owner if doing oil changes themselves. Doesn't void warranty like here.
Yup, 2 weeks after my intermediate service I got that warning chime... annoyed the X^%$ out of me....

Old 08-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know cars and fluids are getting better all the time but 10 years seems like an awful long time between coolant changes. Never heard anyone quote more than about 4 years between coolant changes. I will be checking my own manual tonight.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
wombat66

I just checked my service books. Both my Fiesta & Focus books say 10 years for coolant.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajoda View Post
I know cars and fluids are getting better all the time but 10 years seems like an awful long time between coolant changes. Never heard anyone quote more than about 4 years between coolant changes. I will be checking my own manual tonight.
Thanks for that, and I agree. I generally do coolant every 50k km. It's more of the principal of the matter to be honest.

If they tell me that the book is wrong for a second time I will be asking them to do it for free... And will be taking it further as well.

I asked many questions in regard to servicing when purchasing. The sales person lied, GREATLY underquoting service costs (amongst other things)... I made a stink, took it further and got a letter from the dealer honouring the verbal price I was given.

The funny thing is, I just coughed up near $800 and 2 months out of warranty apparently Ford won't change the chrome garnishes on the steering wheel that are starting to peel. I bet they didn't even bother asking.

I will need to look for my extended warranty paperwork and read it carefully. In the mean time, I will keep going there for my greatly discounted minor services and the free intermediate services and very much question why I will get them to do the B service again... that's if I still have the car.

Thanks guys

Jason

Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66 View Post
I just checked my service books. Both my Fiesta & Focus books say 10 years for coolant.
Same as what mine says... thought so. They can't use the 'We have updated the booklets mid model and it is now required' line on me like they did the powershift.......

Cheers.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just replied to the customer relations officer from the dealership who sends a generic 'we hope you were pleased with your experience' email after each service.

I have outlined what I have said above and await her reply.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok got a reply from the Customer service rep from the dealership regarding the chrome steering wheel trim.

Apparently the only way to change them is to do the whole wheel at a cost of $1100....

Please tell me they are not serious. As a sign of goodwill they are willing to meet me half way with the repair.

Now, I'm not in my car right now, but surely they cannot be serious? Don't these just clip on?? Or at best need to be glued on?

I have seen other people mention the peeling problem in that part... did they do the whole wheel???? If this was 1 month in my warranty period would they have changed the whole wheel for a $20 item?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steering-...item4aabceeced

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-St...item4171e662ae

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-St...item4171e662ae

I'm very much losing faith in this dealer. Oh, and they used 7 litres for the transmission service as it also had its filter changed....

Again, they obviously didn't refer to the book on that one as well.

Please, can anyone confirm if they have had the whole wheel changed due to the chrome cover on the wheel spokes peeling / cracking???

Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone sells them separately they must be replaceable. Now.....$1100.....they must think we are morons, and then to offer to go halfway......wtf. I think I would be steering clear (pardon the pun) of this mob. Take a punt on buying a replacement and have a go. They would only be clipped or glued.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The only thing that is keeping me there is the extended warranty (which is probably useless) and the discounted 'A' servicing I get (which is probably still more than what my usual mechanic charges)....

I did get a 10% discount on the B service as I'm a 'member' of their buyers club thinggo... but they even stuffed that up last time as they tried to charge me for a intermediate service as well as dock points... they only gave it to me with points when I logged into the system from their own computer and showed them the wording of their own bloody product.... No 'sorry' for charging me the last time when they wrongly did.

Bugger em. I'll keep getting the minor services carried out, that will make the log book look good should I sell, by the time I'm due for the next B service I would have used up my points for the free intermediate services and some other stuff and give them the flick. My extended warranty, if any use, will also have expired.

I really hope Ford call me for my customer experience as they say in the email.. they never have in the past and they probably won't this time.

Honestly.... this is the 2nd time I have tried to stay in a Blue Oval... there certainly won't be a 3rd time ever again......

Old 20-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Hazmatt69
Starter Motor

Sorry to hear your tale of dissatisfaction with the LW. I havn't experienced the same but have noticed peeling of the chrome trim on steering wheel on RHS will be tellin dealer next serv hope they don't come $1100 raw prawn with me (still in warranty). Just looked at the replacements you put & they don't look right for a LW, just wanted ta let ya know if planning on replacing yours.

Cheers.
Hazmatt69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatt69 View Post
Sorry to hear your tale of dissatisfaction with the LW. I havn't experienced the same but have noticed peeling of the chrome trim on steering wheel on RHS will be tellin dealer next serv hope they don't come $1100 raw prawn with me (still in warranty). Just looked at the replacements you put & they don't look right for a LW, just wanted ta let ya know if planning on replacing yours.

Cheers.
No worries, I actually have an LV, I asked for LW info as the dealer quoted that book for my auto service schedule, and said mine was wrong.

They then said my coolant was due every 4 years when my book says 10 so I wanted to see if they use the line again that my factory service schedule is once again wrong and that I need to go by what the LW book says. But that is also 10 years.

If your trim is peeling don't even wait for your next service, book it in pronto. Why? Because they will replace it with an identical part that will also peel soon enough and you would hate to have that done out of warranty...

While you are at it, see if they replace the whole wheel or just the stick-on part. I find it stupidly obsurd that the only fix for peeling trim is a whole wheel. Bit like replacing a whole dash when a bulb blows...

I may still reply to the email, questioning again why they needed 7L of fluid (with filter) when the flush with fluid filter capacity is stated at only 5.6L....

Before I do that, I'll see if they gave me my 'privilege points'.

Old 22-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
boss-man

Chrome was peeling on the steering wheel of my LW at the next service i told the dealer and they replaced it no dramas....
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
KenN0898

Steering wheel trim is available from here at a cost of $23.19. I replaced the trim on my 2009 LV at a lesser cost, they clip on and takes just minutes.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-St...item416dceba96
KenN0898 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenN0898 View Post
Steering wheel trim is available from here at a cost of $23.19. I replaced the trim on my 2009 LV at a lesser cost, they clip on and takes just minutes.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-St...item416dceba96
Yeah, I'm still 'In talks' with the dealer. I mentioned the eBay ones in passing and they said that won't work, and it's the whole wheel or nothing. Great designing there...