Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
sleeper393

Exclamation au centre facia

how do i fix the lighting behind my aircon and vent controls , they shat themselves. ???

123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
tickfrd6

I'd like to know how to get to them too

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Series 1 or series 2/3?

On series 1 the lights are soldered into the board. Thus making them near impossible to change (Also difficult but not impossible to change to blue LED's as I have found out )

On series 2 (correct me if I’m wrong) but they are globes that can be change. Similar to that of the dash lights.

To change them though the center fascia has to be removed.

Here is a guide. It is very similar on all series.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=95787

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
sleeper393

Thumbs up

cheers , S/3 , can led's be used ?
Old 15-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I don't see why not, it should be very similar to that dash (cluster) lighting. So you could either make them your self or buy a pre made one.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

S 2/3 has the same lights for most as the dash cluster lights therefore if you follow how to do the leds on the dash you can do this on the centre fascia area

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
cheers , S/3 , can led's be used ?
I've got a S3 Ghia so I'm not sure what lights/sockets are used on other models but on mine I've replaced all dash and switch lights with blue leds.

Here is the way I did the smaller leds:- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=20

edit: Umineko's ref is for an S1. Blue leds are perfectly ok for S2/3
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
sleeper393

Question

are the smaller bulbs in the dash and instrument cluster , T3 OR T4 , i know the larger one are T5's . ?
Old 16-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

edit: scratch that, I've got a million blue leds left over. I'll have a look.

Ok, on one of the packets it says "5mm Blue LED" so I'd say that's what you're after - if you're talking about leds that is...
Old 16-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

So what exactly would the replacement leds be? a T5 B8.5D??

Also how many leds are needed?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
sleeper393

Question

i know the larger led replacements in the instrument cluster are T5's they illuminate the speedo and the such , but the smaller warning bulbs , as per hazards , etc , etc, im after there size , T3's or T4's ?
Old 16-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
sleeper393

Thumbs up

these are the sizes , T4's are the smaller ones in the instrument cluster and behind the clock and vent controls.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4x-Neo-Wedge-...#ht_5090wt_911

Last edited by sleeper393; 16-07-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: missing
Old 16-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
ronwest

According to Umineko they are a T4 so for standard globes I guess that is what you are after.

If you want to change over to leds he adds this:-
"As I mentioned before you can buy T4 Neo wedge holders with LEDs (fig 12)but as I found out last night they won't fit into Ford clusters anyway, so you are pretty much stuck with making your own."
Old 16-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

thanks guys

shame the premades wont fit. Might have to make some then.

Are there any LEDs out there which already have the right voltage or basically are good to go?

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Are there any LEDs out there which already have the right voltage or basically are good to go?
I don't think so... certainly not when I did mine.

You might have a browse around the Skyline forums. Those guys are into all manner of mods and you can get some good info there.
Old 16-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
sleeper393

Thumbs up

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_2399wt_1137
Old 16-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
Yeah, I 'spose you could unwind the led and fit it to the Ford holders but it's not that much more trouble to solder the resistors into place.
Old 16-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #18
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

allrighty thanks again

think il dig out my soldering iron then

Subaru Outback '02
Old 16-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Yeah, I 'spose you could unwind the led and fit it to the Ford holders but it's not that much more trouble to solder the resistors into place.
these have the led's already in them , the locking tabs maybe alittle different , but you could modify them easy enough , pls they are flat on the ends so they spread the beam out more. T4's are used for the hazards and warning lights
Old 16-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #20
ronwest

Umineko is a really, really talented guy. I think that if all that was required was modding the locking tabs he would have figured that out without too much difficulty.

However you may be on to something. Why don't you buy some and fit them up and we'll know for sure?

edit: if you look at Umineko's pics you'll see #12 (second row far right) has the original Ford holder and the ebay holder side by side. You can see the difference in the size. But again, I didn't buy the ebay ones so please do and let us know.

Last edited by ronwest; 16-07-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 16-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
ronwest

Hey sleeper, I just found my old globes down the shed. I may be getting a little confused (as I said it's a while since I did mine).

There are three different sized globes (not two as I thought) that I replaced with leds.

Do the globes you want to replace pull straight out of the holder ie, no wires to untangle? If so, then yes the ebay ones are a direct replacment. Apologies if I have caused you any anxiety, lol.
It's only for the non-wedge type that the resister/soldering has to be done.
Old 17-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #22
sleeper393

yeah gotcha , i thought that, no probs
Old 17-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #23
sleeper393

measurements are 5mm for the t4 bulb holders which would allow them to fit tho holes. just some variations of led's.
http://autolumination.com/74.htm