Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Default Buying Used Car - VIC to QLD

Hi all

I've got my eye on a nice and tidy BF Typhoon in Nth Melbourne at the moment that's up for private sale. If I buy it I'm hoping to drive it home to Brissy. I'm just wondering what the procedures/costs are with buying the car and then getting it eventually registered in QLD.

My understanding is the rego cannot be transferred to me cos I'm not a VIC resident, so the owner will need to cancel the rego + surrender the plates (and get a refund from VicRoads) and I'll need to obtain an unregistered vehicle permit from VicRoads to allow me to drive the vehicle home. At this stage I'll also need to get CTP cover for the vehicle.

Once the vehicle is back in QLD, to register I'll need to get a roadworthy done and then go to QLD T'sport with the roadworthy certificate, previous rego papers, registration app form, CTP cert and drivers licence etc.

Does anyone know if this is correct, if there are other possible avenues, or done anything like this before? Thanks everyone.

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

yes, drive it home on vic plates and get roadworthy.
go into qld transport with qld roadworthy and get qld plates for the car, surrender the sticker/plates to qld transport and advise you want them surrended to vic roads, they will give you a letter stating this then follow up with Vic roads for your rego refund usualy 8-10 weeks.
Once your car is rego in qld your all good to go and wait for your lil bonus in the mail come 10 weeks time.

did this when I brought my TS50 from melb.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
yes, drive it home on vic plates and get roadworthy.
go into qld transport with qld roadworthy and get qld plates for the car, surrender the sticker/plates to qld transport and advise you want them surrended to vic roads, they will give you a letter stating this then follow up with Vic roads for your rego refund usualy 8-10 weeks.
Once your car is rego in qld your all good to go and wait for your lil bonus in the mail come 10 weeks time.

did this when I brought my TS50 from melb.
Thanks for that. So the owner doesn't have to cancel the rego, I simply just buy the car from them and drive it home (with Vic rego and plates) and go from there like you've said once I get into QLD - get roadworthy, pay rego, get new plates and surrender the old ones?

2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

You have got 14 days to do this
I bought my GTP from the FORD dealer in Lismore back in 2007 - it was one of the only GTP's with a manual between Bundy and Newcastle that both the wife and myself could agree on the colour
Paid the dealer - had the deed of sale with the NSW REVs cert and the CTP green slip and as the car was under 3 years it did not warrant a safety - went to QT at Southport with the doco paid the stamp duty cancelled the NSW rego re done it with QLD - painless
Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

^^ what he said.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

although you will need a QLD safety cert before you can rego at qld transport.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Transfering rego

I dont think that if you buy a car from Vic
and drive it up here
and register it
and hand in the Vic plates you will get a refund
because
it is not in your name
as you said you cant transfer it to your name
as you are not a Victorian licence holder
I cant see the Vic govt giving you money
when the car is not registered in your name
I might be wrong
but it just doesnt make sense to me
I wish you luck
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have any advice for the topic that hasn't already been said -- but just wanted to say that Victoria to Queensland in a Typhoon is going to be an awesome drive. You should take it slow and see the sights; there is plenty to see and do whether you take the coastal roads or go through the Riverina.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Kryton

The registration refund gets sent to the registered owner - that is the person you buy the car from.
If he chooses NOT to leave the plates on the car (which he is rightly allowed to do), then you will have to go to Vic Roads and get and Unregistered Permit which allows you to drive the car unregistered - however - you cannot drive the car on Victorian roads after 7pm.

EDIT: You cannot get a Permit for the car if the plates have not been handed in and the rego has not been cancelled either - just remembered.
Best to see if he can leave the plates on and you send them back to him when you get home.

Last edited by Kryton; 05-06-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Thanks for all the great advice guys....though all the procedures are starting to do my head in a little bit hehe. I'm still keen on the vehicle, but in the meantime I'm gonna see if I can track down something a little more local to try and make rego transfer a little easier. I'll keep you posted...