Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Default Airbag/Horn incident

Had an interesting incident happen with my Ute yesterday.... It was sitting in the driveway, no one in it or near it, and my horn went off for about 10 seconds then stopped. About a minute later, the horn went off again, for another 10 or so seconds.
And after about 5 minutes of wondering what the hell was going on, the horn went off again, this time it didn't stop. So after about 3 or 4 minutes, I popped the bonnet and removed the horn fuse and it stopped.
Confused, I opened the drivers door, and the steering wheel cover is now very loose, and spongy, and not nice and firm like usual? And not wanting to play with an airbagged Steering wheel, I'm a little worried about it going off now.....

So now, the car is at the Dealers (regretfully.......) to find the source of the problem.
I've been told that it could be a heat issue, and that something may have broken behind the actual airbag, and is now resting on the horn activator?

Has anyone had this happen to them before???

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Now thats a weird one, i would like to see Ford say this comes under/inside normal working conditions and everythings all ok
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a wire loom that runs through the steering column that is called a 'clock spring'. I had that go on mine and the following stopped working over a period of a couple of weeks: audio steering controls, horn and the airbag light stayed on after flashing a diagnostic code.

I have heard from others on the forum that it can also cause the horn to go off like yours did.

The part is not cheap, I think around $150.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Well it has been all fixed. And under warranty. Apparently, it had something to do with broken clips behind the airbag, which then caused the airbag to fall back on the horn.... And a new airbag module was required. So I was pretty pleased with how it was all carried out.

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
So I was pretty pleased with how it was all carried out
Whooooaaaah!!! I think you may be the first EVER person 'pleased' with fords warranty dept.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was this on a BF series 2 ? I just bought one
Old 25-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Whooooaaaah!!! I think you may be the first EVER person 'pleased' with fords warranty dept.
No there are many many people who are happy with Ford/FPV warranty. You just don't find them whinging on a forum about it.
EVERY single warranty problem I have had with my new falcons has been sorted with a minimum of fuss and if something else was wrong that ws sorted too.

e.g.
AU2 Ghia, faulty spacer in suspension caused tyre to hit guard in slow corners. Spacer replaced, 2 tyres replaced and panel repainted.
BA GT-P, clunk/clunk/rattle in drive train. Tail shaft & diff centre replaced, Tech from FPV itself (I am in QLD) flew up and upgraded gearbox.
BA2 Typhoon, electronics going nuts making phone kit play up. Complete ICC replacement.

I have NEVER had anything knocked back or even questioned.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No there are many many people who are happy with Ford/FPV warranty. You just don't find them whinging on a forum about it.
EVERY single warranty problem I have had with my new falcons has been sorted with a minimum of fuss and if something else was wrong that ws sorted too.

e.g.
AU2 Ghia, faulty spacer in suspension caused tyre to hit guard in slow corners. Spacer replaced, 2 tyres replaced and panel repainted.
BA GT-P, clunk/clunk/rattle in drive train. Tail shaft & diff centre replaced, Tech from FPV itself (I am in QLD) flew up and upgraded gearbox.
BA2 Typhoon, electronics going nuts making phone kit play up. Complete ICC replacement.

I have NEVER had anything knocked back or even questioned.
I agree with that 100%.
I find ford service to be the easiest to deal with out of a few different brands.
Try dealing with Toyota on warranty and service issues before giving your local ford bloke heaps.

Quote: