Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 23-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #6602
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
Wrong, once again......how many flu fatalities last year? The rate of either causes of death (flu or Covid) is insignificant to the total number of deaths that occur everyday. Which is not to take away from each death which is sad.

Where's the focus on the impact of suicides which take a lot more lives than this virus.
And? So what if the number of deaths from COVID-19 (or flu) is a small number (note I did not use the word 'insignificant'? That's deliberate). Does that mean we just pretend like it doesn't exist and just focus on the largest contributor?

What's the takeaway you want us to have from your comments?

My post was simply to indicate the magnitude of the impact that this particular virus is having. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I do agree with you tho that there should be more focus on suicide prevention. Mental health advocacy has been slow to take off, but it is gaining momentum. We just had a presentation through our work from Wayne Schwass (ex North Melbourne and Sydney Swans AFL player) and his Puka Up Foundation. That sort of thing was unheard of as little as 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Quote:
“The number of dead in the US is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 67 days. And it is still climbing.”

That quote to me, is where the bloody world is at now with media sensationalist hype!
67 times 9/11?.... Really, is there any need for such an obscure comparison?
Feckin pathetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
True.
But, it does make you think of the response (or excuse) post the 9/11 attacks. In comparison, we have a situation in the US (and around the world for that matter) that is far worse, [edited]
I agree with Tickford here, Charlie, I didn't see it as sensationalising the story, more so putting it into context for an audience that clearly were traumatised and motivated by a terrible event that resulted in a significant response from the country. But I can also see where you're coming from, too.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
This user likes this post: