View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
kiteman
Starter Motor

Default HELP, serious electrical problem

I have a Probe SU (Series 2) 2.5 V6. I'll chronicle the engine problem as it may help.
1 6 months ago the distibutor failed. Due to incredible expense (here in Australia) I had a 2nd hand one fitted which lasted only 3 days. Fair enough, it was probably as old as mine (about 125,000 miles). They fitted another 2nd hand one free of charge. This has lasted until now, I think.

Car was running perfectly then one morning would not start. This had happened once a long time ago. I re-set the fuel cut-out in the rear near the tank and it started first time. It ran perfectly for 4 days. Then, again it would not start (lost of battery but just not firing up, no spark).

The mechanic reckoned it was the distributor again so I had it lifted to a local auto electric mechanic.

He managed to get the dissy working well enough to get the car in and out of the workshop (to my surprise!).

Fitted a new distibutor (new but after-market brand I think). The car then ran perfectly while it was COLD!

Once it had warmed up, after a mile or 2 then all hell let loose! The engine completely cut out, then in again, then out again etc etc etc. Virtually undriveable. The rev counter was going from 3000 to 0 to 4000 to 0 to 3000. When it was at 0 the yellow "Engine" light came on. I managed to get home mostly in 3rd gear keeping the revs high. Next day, returning to auto shop it was exactly the same after warming up. Perfectly smooth when still cold.

The electrician has just fitted a new crankshaft position indicator sender thinking that this may be the cause but no change. The "Engine" indicator has not sent out any impulse indicating problem source.

The car does not idle, the revs run from 600 to 4,000 to 600 to 3000 to 600 etc etc etc...

Anybody have any ideas??? Any assistance is highly appreciated!

kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote