View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Travel Restrictions??

FMD.
So, to cap off this thread:
I was contacted about a FIFO project in Tassie, by this pack of Clowns called Xenco.
From the first contact we consistently discussed 3 aspects:
1) The job was meant to be FIFO, Perth to Tassie.
2) With all the Covid ****, all parties needed to be flexible.
3) I would need to quarantine upon entering Tasmania for two weeks.

In regards to flexibility I agreed completely, and said many times that I was happy to do whatever roster would work.
I also told both the HR idiot and the Manager, that if and when the Tassie quarantine was lifted, if I could not get back to WA, I would take my R&R in NSW.

We further agreed that it would be a day-rate, which is industry standard.

So they promised me a contract by Thursday and I started making preparation.
So finally get the contract the following Wednesday arvo, and oh by the way we want you to mobilise Monday.
They'd changed the day-rate to an hourly rate which is a PITFA, and no mention of roster or flights.
I pointed out that there were no flights on Monday, and got fobbed off.

Anyway, I signed all their paperwork, and started trying to get things organised.
One of my suggestions was that we get a computer delivered to me in quarantine, so that I could actually start work. Since, in all of the 6 conversations we'd had, they had told me I needed to quarantine.
But instead of just saying "oh actually we think we get can you essential worker status and avoid quarantine", the manager just chucks a big stink at me. Going off his nut, telling me they're not delivering the computer and it will be waiting for me on site. (and still didn't bother explaining that quarantine was nolonger necessary.)

I'd researched the flights, and told them the ones that worked, but they still kept insisting I had to fly out on Monday. I should have just gone along with the morons, because it would have been freaking hilarious!
Their proposal was to have me fly to MELBOURNE and overnight there before flying to Launceston.
Whereupon I would have been refused entry (for overnighting in Melbourne) and flown back to Melbourne where I would STILL be stuck.

I suggested that long term, when the borders eased, we should work towards me doing a 2:1 or 3:1, stretching to 4:1 when needed.
Their reply: "You must be flexible, you must do a 10:4, but we expect you to stay in Tasmania, you must mob on Monday."

Now I had repeatedly suggested that if they could provide me with the right documentation, I could possible get essential worker exemption. After fobbing me off, they suddenly revert to this "what are you on about?" routine. "Quarantine? What Quarantine? Who said anything about Quarantine? We're going to get you essential worker exemption."

So whilst getting ready to fly (whenever) I reiterated that I was very flexible in regards to roster, but felt I should point out that in the medium term, a 10:4 just wasn't going to work for somebody from Perth. There is one flight-combo per week that can get me there in 9 hours, and two that can get me out in 13. So even if things aligned perfectly (which of course they didn't) I would get a maximum 2 day break, bracketed by 20 hours flying.
If I actually did the roster they wanted, it would have required overnight stays both ways, and given me one night at home.
I did however point out that in the short term I was more than happy doing the 10:4 back to NSW (and visiting by daughter.)
Their response: "You agreed to be flexible. You must do a 10:4, you must fly Monday, and there's somebody who comes from Perth so I should 'piggyback' off whatever he was doing."

So I reiterated that I was trying to be flexible, and said that I would accept any roster, or any length, provided that on break I got at least 3 nights home. I also reiterated that in the early stages I was happy doing a 10:4, or anything else, and spending my break in NSW.

That's when they let me have it with both barrels, had a huge dummy spit about all the work they had put in, and effectively canned my contract. Whilst explaining how gracious they were being by agreeing to waive my notice period.
And they finally conceded that they has simply expected me to STAY in Tasmania, "because that's what somebody else from Perth had decided"
This user likes this post: